PDA

View Full Version : New tranny...

mmaturo
April 9th, 2009, 16:22
Well it was only starting to act up but i'm validated again that if you ever feel a lack of boost or hesitation in acceleration although you are applying even pedal input good chance its related to the transmission and torque converter. At 74K this is transmission number three. I took the car in for an airbag light but had been noticing some bad downshifts and a hesitation on full throttle. Turns out the service guys agree my transmission is going. Glad i have a nice Q7 loaner as they prepped me for a lllloooonnnngggg replacement. Need to finally call A of A about my car to see if they will extend my CPO as after almost 4 years of owning this thing it will have spent after this 6 months of its life with me at the dealer. If anyone has the customer advocate number for RS6 owners still if they could post it for me.

GEN XER
April 9th, 2009, 16:34
Maybe not CPO but Fidelity.

DHall1
April 9th, 2009, 17:18
Is it only between shifts?

Does it come and go...off/on? Power

Clarify more about which gear and speeds this all happens?

Yeeeeks you need warranty more than ever before.

Good time to do the timing belt and 75k service

Well it was only starting to act up but i'm validated again that if you ever feel a lack of boost or hesitation in acceleration although you are applying even pedal input good chance its related to the transmission and torque converter. At 74K this is transmission number three. I took the car in for an airbag light but had been noticing some bad downshifts and a hesitation on full throttle. Turns out the service guys agree my transmission is going. Glad i have a nice Q7 loaner as they prepped me for a lllloooonnnngggg replacement. Need to finally call A of A about my car to see if they will extend my CPO as after almost 4 years of owning this thing it will have spent after this 6 months of its life with me at the dealer. If anyone has the customer advocate number for RS6 owners still if they could post it for me.

Copper
April 9th, 2009, 17:20
Here's the phone number:

1-866-892-2834

mmaturo
April 9th, 2009, 20:25
Is it only between shifts?

Does it come and go...off/on? Power

Clarify more about which gear and speeds this all happens?

Yeeeeks you need warranty more than ever before.

Good time to do the timing belt and 75k service

Thats part of my smile ear to ear right now is i will get the belt done too (if they cut enough of the price) when it is all out. I'll negotiate that once they confirm what the exact repair is that they are going to do. Oh and i am nervous about going off warranty but i waited too long to pick up another policy but at least now i will have a 12K 12 month parts warranty on the tranny fix so it gives me some relief.

If I am accelerating hard I would get a slight slipping sensation, usually in second gear or just after the 1 to 2 shift...in other words the engine is reeving up like normal its gone to the next gear but i don't seem to be moving at the same rate then it would take hold gently so a slow full engagement (or reallllly long slip) of the TC to the gear...didn't happen at a shift necessarily. Also under hard acceleration again in the 1 to 2 then 3 gear range I would get a slight stutter in the engine so very quick drops in boost as if a blow off valve was screwing up or a leak somewhere in the boost, but real quick drops. I think again related to the trans telling the engine to drop boost.

Where i really noticed a problem though is rolling up to a stop light it would shift into neutral then a long pause before an abrupt shift into first.

mmaturo
April 9th, 2009, 20:26
Here's the phone number:

1-866-892-2834

Thanks Copper...this will be a fun call.

DHall1
April 9th, 2009, 21:09
Thanks, that makes more sense.

I wanted to let you know that I got a call from AoA today. They called me out of the blue to fix my DRC asap. Long story short...I made no formal complaint just RS6.com posts. AoA tracked me down, amazing.

There is some hope here for Audi. I will keep everyone informed.

Thats part of my smile ear to ear right now is i will get the belt done too (if they cut enough of the price) when it is all out. I'll negotiate that once they confirm what the exact repair is that they are going to do. Oh and i am nervous about going off warranty but i waited too long to pick up another policy but at least now i will have a 12K 12 month parts warranty on the tranny fix so it gives me some relief.

If I am accelerating hard I would get a slight slipping sensation, usually in second gear or just after the 1 to 2 shift...in other words the engine is reeving up like normal its gone to the next gear but i don't seem to be moving at the same rate then it would take hold gently so a slow full engagement (or reallllly long slip) of the TC to the gear...didn't happen at a shift necessarily. Also under hard acceleration again in the 1 to 2 then 3 gear range I would get a slight stutter in the engine so very quick drops in boost as if a blow off valve was screwing up or a leak somewhere in the boost, but real quick drops. I think again related to the trans telling the engine to drop boost.

Where i really noticed a problem though is rolling up to a stop light it would shift into neutral then a long pause before an abrupt shift into first.

GEN XER
April 9th, 2009, 21:22
Thanks, that makes more sense.

I wanted to let you know that I got a call from AoA today. They called me out of the blue to fix my DRC asap. Long story short...I made no formal complaint just RS6.com posts. AoA tracked me down, amazing.

There is some hope here for Audi. I will keep everyone informed.

LOL. Not really Dave, They just want you to change your tune. Just like the guy over on Audiworld who was screaming Class Action. Remember, these guys are good. Find the wheel thats making the most noise, add grease, no more noise.

GEN XER
April 9th, 2009, 21:27
MM
I called the person who sold me my fidelity warranty on your behalf to see what she could do for you. She is off until tomorrow. I will let you know what kind of number she comes up with.

DHall1
April 9th, 2009, 21:27
I can understand. Its funny because I have had other members contact me off list about DRC issues. I have helped put together DRC arguments for these folks. I dont think Audi knows about that stuff. In the end, we all need to be informed and make good reasonable decisions.

The more noisy wheels...the better. Just make sure you choose your fight and squeal for the right reasons.

LOL. Not really Dave, They just want you to change your tune. Just like the guy over on Audiworld who was screaming Class Action. Remember, these guys are good. Find the wheel thats making the most noise, add grease, no more noise.

allwheelsdriven
April 10th, 2009, 01:59
its these kinds of posts that makes me wonder what if Lexus made this car with all the same specs...I'll bet it would never break

DHall1
April 10th, 2009, 02:19
Toyota used to make performance. That is now dead in search of the perfect Camry. Volume and margins. Period. (Owned 6)

Lexus became just a fancy version of Toyota. Volume and margin again. The cars have hardly changed in 10 years. (Owned 5)

RIP to Toyota. Vensa or what ever its called. Ha, its a Camry with 2,000lbs of added weight and 15,000 of added cost. POS

Its a toss up right now to see if AMG or RS keeps our business. My wife really likes her E55.

Edit: Oh yeah, IS-F. Ha, I drove one. Its as ugly as betty, you must be kidding me.

I can deal with some trouble from time to time. Nothing on the road touches the RS.

its these kinds of posts that makes me wonder what if Lexus made this car with all the same specs...I'll bet it would never break

GEN XER
April 10th, 2009, 03:19
After this RS6 it really goes dark for me when it comes to cars. I dont want a new one because I dont like dealing with dealers. I dont want a AMG, M, S, or any other high priced used car because they required warranties and that means you have to take the car in to the dealer, did I mention I really hate dealers. I really dont know what Im going to do. I guess Ill just keep driving my VDUB. Ill be able to get a VR6 4motion CC really cheap in 5 years.

DHall1
April 10th, 2009, 04:18
Willie,

I hear ya. Hang in there and you will find a suitable Audi dealer for service. Just roll with the punches and keep searching. They are not all bad.

Very few items will need the dealer service.

I have a prediction. You will make so much money in 2009 that it wont be a problem.

:-)

After this RS6 it really goes dark for me when it comes to cars. I dont want a new one because I dont like dealing with dealers. I dont want a AMG, M, S, or any other high priced used car because they required warranties and that means you have to take the car in to the dealer, did I mention I really hate dealers. I really dont know what Im going to do. I guess Ill just keep driving my VDUB. Ill be able to get a VR6 4motion CC really cheap in 5 years.

GEN XER
April 10th, 2009, 04:41
Willie,

I hear ya. Hang in there and you will find a suitable Audi dealer for service. Just roll with the punches and keep searching. They are not all bad.

Very few items will need the dealer service.

I have a prediction. You will make so much money in 2009 that it wont be a problem.

:-)

I think you are right.

peiserg
April 10th, 2009, 04:44
just curious what you guys think of the new ctsV as a replacement? No quattro, but as far as I'm concerned, here in phoenix.. all the quattro does is add weight. the 3 days a year it rains I can always use my landcruiser.

556HP, and same motor as the zr1 making 80hp more tells me there's a lot left if i wanted to mod it. Never been in one, or even seen the new ones, but damn that's a lot of potential.

GEN XER
April 10th, 2009, 04:50
I saw the CTS-V leave the rear end sitting on the track w/o 556hp. I saw them overheat w/o all that hp. I saw them have electrical gremlins. If GM did not address the drivetrain issues I say stay away.

just curious what you guys think of the new ctsV as a replacement? No quattro, but as far as I'm concerned, here in phoenix.. all the quattro does is add weight. the 3 days a year it rains I can always use my landcruiser.

556HP, and same motor as the zr1 making 80hp more tells me there's a lot left if i wanted to mod it. Never been in one, or even seen the new ones, but damn that's a lot of potential.

DuckWingDuck
April 10th, 2009, 05:13
cts-v is a VERY fun car. can't get over the shitty interior appointments though.

DHall1
April 10th, 2009, 05:13
Well,

You better hurry if you want one.

Obama Motors has cut the nuts off of the CTSV. The first Caddy to run sub 8 minutes around the ring. Now DOA

With or without the prev problems. It was a fantastic idea. My good friend owns GM dealerships in Kansas...yes, they still sell in KS. Anyway, Caddy had to cancel production on the CTSV. The dealers are all up in arms because its actually something that will sell for sticker price. 65k

My buddy even went to the GM auction and got every V he could get his hands on. All sold before he could get back to the dealer.

Sticker price. MD's, business owners and local sports figures are all over the V's. Geez, why would you want that segment of the demographic. Why?

Lets face it. Cool cars are dead. Even if you can sell them for sticker price.

Sad

snoopra
April 10th, 2009, 07:25
Obama Motors has cut the nuts off of the CTSV.....??? So the prez is respossible for GM's mismanagement?? Come on, these guys were too busy vacationing and getting fat bonuses instead of making sound financial decisions.

snoopra
April 10th, 2009, 07:28
I love GM, but people are tired of high priced plasticy POS's. Have you looked at the fit/finish on a FORD lately? Crappy!

DHall1
April 10th, 2009, 07:34
We all better hope Audi does not some day say...

Well, we only sell 3,000 RS6s globally. It costs us 250,000 per car to make. We better close down Gmbh.

IMHO its about branding and standing up for the company. Make a statement and back it up.

GM has no brand identity.

Now, I will not say management was this or that. I will only say this. I dont know what GM stands for. Thus, GM has not done a good job.

Obama motors, well that comes right from the GM dealer. You will have to ask the task force why the V was cut.

Obama Motors has cut the nuts off of the CTSV.....??? So the prez is respossible for GM's mismanagement?? Come on, these guys were too busy vacationing and getting fat bonuses instead of making sound financial decisions.

snoopra
April 10th, 2009, 07:39
D, you're right with the identity thing. Just look at GM's European companys.

GEN XER
April 10th, 2009, 17:23
We all better hope Audi does not some day say...

Well, we only sell 3,000 RS6s globally. It costs us 250,000 per car to make. We better close down Gmbh.

IMHO its about branding and standing up for the company. Make a statement and back it up.

GM has no brand identity.

Now, I will not say management was this or that. I will only say this. I dont know what GM stands for. Thus, GM has not done a good job.

Obama motors, well that comes right from the GM dealer. You will have to ask the task force why the V was cut.

Thats easy. For the same reason the SRT8 is gone from Chrysler. It does not fit in the future of cars in America. Its not a Hybrid, electric, or gets 40 or more mpg. Big ol V-8's are done and if your V-6 is not fuel efficieint then it is done too. Just ask Chrysler, they dont have one car that can compete in this new CAFE world right now and they are scambling to find something that works. Hence the Fiat union.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/rules/CAFE/overview.htm

DHall1
April 10th, 2009, 18:30
We are all hosed in 2012.

Thats easy. For the same reason the SRT8 is gone from Chrysler. It does not fit in the future of cars in America. Its not a Hybrid, electric, or gets 40 or more mpg. Big ol V-8's are done and if your V-6 is not fuel efficieint then it is done too. Just ask Chrysler, they dont have one car that can compete in this new CAFE world right now and they are scambling to find something that works. Hence the Fiat union.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/rules/CAFE/overview.htm

terrytcl
April 10th, 2009, 19:09

where is your car at? mine may be going too.
going 40mph, gave it gas, then pause, then thump! either tranny or TC slipping.

Copper
April 10th, 2009, 20:30
The car identity thing is an interesting one. Being a new owner of a Nissan Maxima, they really push the image of the GTR as the top of the heap of all Nissans with ''The same DNA as the GTR" They sell those for sticker+ still and people will buy a 370Z that can't afford the GTR. I think this is smart marketing. It shows the market that "we lead with innovative products and engineering concepts that are applied to the "normal" cars". I honestly feel like driving a Nissan is less of a compromise as a brand for my daily driver knowing the Nissan, not Infiniti or some off-shoot of Nissan makes and markets the GTR. If I had purchased Toyota Camry, what halo car can I point to? What about Honda? GM has the CTS-V,GTX and ZR1 but the special car division is getting axed so now you can just point to the standard Corvette? Nissan could have gone the route of Toyota branding the halo cars under Lexus for the IS-F and the forever in prototype upcoming LF-A and branded the GTR as an Infiniti and no one would have blamed them. My hats of to them for making the GTR a Nissan. Smart marketing.

I was ready to go to pucker factor 10 switching to a Nissan Dealer for service. The center 12V plug didn't work for some reason when I bought the car. Since it was a demo with 7K miles on it I think the manager that drove the car burned out the unit. So I was at the dealer to pick up an iPod cable that was missing (again a demo). The got me the iPod cable in about 60 seconds no questions asked. I told them about the 12V not working. The Sales Manager personally takes my car up to the service bay, talks to the Service Manager and tells them to fix it right now. Service Manager says they have a full schedule today since I don't have an appointment (I'm thinking ah great here we go) but not to worry he will personally look at it right now for me. Service Manager pulls my car to the back area asks me to show him whats wrong looks for a bad fuse, nope, fuse looks good. Walks to the parts dept. fills out a form, walks to the back and grabs a new adapter and interface along with another fuse just to be safe. Goes back to my car, with a screwdriver and a few other tools and the parts. 15 minutes later its working again with all new parts. Hands me the key, shakes my hand and says sorry for the issue, anything else I need?

Amazing. I didn't fill out any paperwork or have to prove ownership or anything. The Sales Manager says take care of this guy he just bought this car from us two weeks ago and that's all he needed to go on.

mmaturo
April 10th, 2009, 20:37
MM
I called the person who sold me my fidelity warranty on your behalf to see what she could do for you. She is off until tomorrow. I will let you know what kind of number she comes up with.

Cool thanks...I'm at 74K which i though was kinda past anyone's comfort zone. Its birthday is July 22 of 09 for its 6 years in service date.

mmaturo
April 10th, 2009, 20:40
where is your car at? mine may be going too.
going 40mph, gave it gas, then pause, then thump! either tranny or TC slipping.

Yep...you got issues...its at Continental in Naperville where it spends most of its vacation time relaxing in the back lot getting sun and the occasional massage.

DHall1
April 10th, 2009, 20:44
You know....I agree with the identity and halo car statement.

Thinking back to my Toyota days.....I lusted for the Supra and then Supra Turbo. I could not afford the Supra and purchased a Celica GT-S and then later got my Supra Turbo. Over the years we got comfortable and Lexus had us in the pocket. In the end...Toyota lost all halo cars after they killed the Supra Twin turbo...(I had one of those too). We have not owned another Toyota since. Lexus had a good run but nothing exciting was coming down the line and the ISF was POS.

I have owned 1 Subaru. Why, because Subaru finally brought over the STI to the USA. Again, the top halo car in the mark.

Hmmmm, then a trip to Germany and bam. We own a AMG and then my RS.

Interesting bit of history there. Sean...you have something.

The car identity thing is an interesting one. Being a new owner of a Nissan Maxima, they really push the image of the GTR as the top of the heap of all Nissans with ''The same DNA as the GTR" They sell those for sticker+ still and people will buy a 370Z that can't afford the GTR. I think this is smart marketing. It shows the market that "we lead with innovative products and engineering concepts that are applied to the "normal" cars". I honestly feel like driving a Nissan is less of a compromise as a brand for my daily driver knowing the Nissan, not Infiniti or some off-shoot of Nissan makes and markets the GTR. If I had purchased Toyota Camry, what halo car can I point to? What about Honda? GM has the CTS-V,GTX and ZR1 but the special car division is getting axed so now you can just point to the standard Corvette? Nissan could have gone the route of Toyota branding the halo cars under Lexus for the IS-F and the forever in prototype upcoming LF-A and branded the GTR as an Infiniti and no one would have blamed them. My hats of to them for making the GTR a Nissan. Smart marketing.

I was ready to go to pucker factor 10 switching to a Nissan Dealer for service. The center 12V plug didn't work for some reason when I bought the car. Since it was a demo with 7K miles on it I think the manager that drove the car burned out the unit. So I was at the dealer to pick up an iPod cable that was missing (again a demo). The got me the iPod cable in about 60 seconds no questions asked. I told them about the 12V not working. The Sales Manager personally takes my car up to the service bay, talks to the Service Manager and tells them to fix it right now. Service Manager says they have a full schedule today since I don't have an appointment (I'm thinking ah great here we go) but not to worry he will personally look at it right now for me. Service Manager pulls my car to the back area asks me to show him whats wrong looks for a bad fuse, nope, fuse looks good. Walks to the parts dept. fills out a form, walks to the back and grabs a new adapter and interface along with another fuse just to be safe. Goes back to my car, with a screwdriver and a few other tools and the parts. 15 minutes later its working again with all new parts. Hands me the key, shakes my hand and says sorry for the issue, anything else I need?

Amazing. I didn't fill out any paperwork or have to prove ownership or anything. The Sales Manager says take care of this guy he just bought this car from us two weeks ago and that's all he needed to go on.

DuckWingDuck
April 10th, 2009, 23:47
supra's coming back...

allwheelsdriven
April 11th, 2009, 01:07
You know....I agree with the identity and halo car statement.

Thinking back to my Toyota days.....I lusted for the Supra and then Supra Turbo. I could not afford the Supra and purchased a Celica GT-S and then later got my Supra Turbo. Over the years we got comfortable and Lexus had us in the pocket. In the end...Toyota lost all halo cars after they killed the Supra Twin turbo...(I had one of those too). We have not owned another Toyota since. Lexus had a good run but nothing exciting was coming down the line and the ISF was POS.

I have owned 1 Subaru. Why, because Subaru finally brought over the STI to the USA. Again, the top halo car in the mark.

Hmmmm, then a trip to Germany and bam. We own a AMG and then my RS.

Interesting bit of history there. Sean...you have something.

Great story that and the service experience at Nissan...there's hope

Funny it reminded me of taking my old Celica All Trac in for an oil change and the service advisor said after I told her I was bringing my Celica All Trac in for some service:

"Excuse me sir you must mean you have a Previa All Trac"

Me: "Um no its a Celica...I am aware that I am not driving a minivan"

Copper
April 11th, 2009, 01:19
Supra is not coming back after all. Toyota cancelled it already and Acura canned the NSX revival as well.

http://wheelsweekly.blogspot.com/2008/08/toyotas-plan-for-game-cancel-supra.html

http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-nsx-cancelled.html

allwheelsdriven
April 11th, 2009, 17:53
yeah unfortunately most of the country wants a Camry or SUV and puts about as much thought into buying it as they did their toaster...ugh

DHall1
April 11th, 2009, 19:08
It only gets worse for Toyota. They just brought back the retired exec that took them down this path to run all US operations.

Toyota is toast....product mix is garbage....not one vehicle that interests me. Zero.

I mean its pretty funny. Years ago the products were so over built...you could take a Supra with 220hp and bump the output to over 500hp without touching the bottom end and cylinder head. You could take a 320hp Supra and bump the output to over 900hp without touching the bottom end and cylinder head. You cannot do that today because most engine assembly has gone to Mexico with substandard materials. All the big hp Toyota engines were always made in Japan. Always. 100%

Supra is not coming back after all. Toyota cancelled it already and Acura canned the NSX revival as well.

http://wheelsweekly.blogspot.com/2008/08/toyotas-plan-for-game-cancel-supra.html

http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-nsx-cancelled.html

GEN XER
April 11th, 2009, 22:47
MM

I got you two good deals on your 74K RS6. 4/48 $5,691 and 3/36 4,855. $100 deductible on both. You can do cash or 18 month 0% finance. Let me know what you think.

DHall1
April 11th, 2009, 23:25
Hmmm,

At 75k those are good prices. Wow

You could be good to 125k and 4 more years. That is amazing....you may as well ride out the depr curve because you cant trade for 5k and get anything of value.

Wow

Willie-we got to run. I looked up your stock. its too low to option. I will try to call later. look at COP as a potential option. If you really like your YT and think they are not going under....buy the stock. Not many shares to trade on YT...

MM

I got you two good deals on your 74K RS6. 4/48 $5,691 and 3/36 4,855. $100 deductible on both. You can do cash or 18 month 0% finance. Let me know what you think.

DuckWingDuck
April 12th, 2009, 00:39
holy shit, that's good price! I'm not at 70, so I should be able to go lower right? I'm at 67.

GEN XER
April 12th, 2009, 00:51
holy shit, that's good price! I'm not at 70, so I should be able to go lower right? I'm at 67.

Yes. I was at 62 and paid $4500. So maybe right around $5000 for 4/48.

GEN XER
April 12th, 2009, 00:59
Hmmm,

At 75k those are good prices. Wow

You could be good to 125k and 4 more years. That is amazing....you may as well ride out the depr curve because you cant trade for 5k and get anything of value.

Wow

Willie-we got to run. I looked up your stock. its too low to option. I will try to call later. look at COP as a potential option. If you really like your YT and think they are not going under....buy the stock. Not many shares to trade on YT...

Dave Im already in for a few shares. Hopefully the 5 year trend remains the same and around the end of this month or next I see $2 or $3 per share. I want to option the COP because I plan on buying a few more C on Monday. I think they are the next bank to break out. Well I hope. I feel folks are getting over the "world is coming to an end" fear and are going to start putting money back in the market.

allwheelsdriven
April 12th, 2009, 03:00
my barometer is how much freighter traffic i see out front here....and its increasing

DHall1
April 12th, 2009, 05:24
Greg,

I would average down and add 5k for safe driving the next 4 years.

You cant get anything else near this car for 5k more.

it takes you up and over 120k for covered mileage. Your already in the car...may as well run her up till she is done.

mmaturo
April 12th, 2009, 16:15
MM

Wow is right, big thanks. I will certainly get in touch about that, I'll email you separately on Monday as this would be perfect to start soon. The 18 month payment part helps me out heavily at the moment. If I were to somehow sell or kill the car is there any refund of the unused amount (by time or mileage as I'm positive it will pay for itself)? Is this for complete coverage or is there exclusions? Control arms and other non DRC pieces are what i would be concerned about as i go through a lot of them. Starters, turbos, gas tank issues, having just read about that, etc are next level of concern.

GEN XER
April 12th, 2009, 17:05
This is the platinum plan. It covers more than the CPO plan. The only exceptions are brake parts, standard transmission clutch parts, airbags, solar powered devices, hinges, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts/ panels, trim, moldings, door handles, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, batteries, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, shock absorbers, audio, security, security or other non factory installed systems, work such as front end alignment or wheel balancing, cv joint boots, SRS, cell phones, electronic transmitting devices (except those listed under the silver, gold, or gold plus coverage), radar detectors, appliances, near object avoidance systems and all laser radar cruise control components, vinyl and convertible tops.

Wow is right, big thanks. I will certainly get in touch about that, I'll email you separately on Monday as this would be perfect to start soon. The 18 month payment part helps me out heavily at the moment. If I were to somehow sell or kill the car is there any refund of the unused amount (by time or mileage as I'm positive it will pay for itself)? Is this for complete coverage or is there exclusions? Control arms and other non DRC pieces are what i would be concerned about as i go through a lot of them. Starters, turbos, gas tank issues, having just read about that, etc are next level of concern.

DHall1
April 12th, 2009, 17:41
Platinum coverage is the best Fidelity plan.

You may cancel at any time for unused refund.

It does cover DRC and struts.

Fidelity is the Audi backed policy good at any Audi dealer.

No brainer

This is the platinum plan. It covers more than the CPO plan. The only exceptions are brake parts, standard transmission clutch parts, airbags, solar powered devices, hinges, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts/ panels, trim, moldings, door handles, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, batteries, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, shock absorbers, audio, security, security or other non factory installed systems, work such as front end alignment or wheel balancing, cv joint boots, SRS, cell phones, electronic transmitting devices (except those listed under the silver, gold, or gold plus coverage), radar detectors, appliances, near object avoidance systems and all laser radar cruise control components, vinyl and convertible tops.

DuckWingDuck
April 12th, 2009, 18:25
would fidelity cover people like me who've gone aftermarket?

GEN XER
April 12th, 2009, 20:20
If you mean your suspension, the answer is no. There is no warranty company that is going to cover none OEM parts. That is covered by the company you buy the parts from. I got a guy trying to get me to tune my RS6 with Unitronics right now, he is hyping the 520hp on 91 octane gas and all that. I simply asked him if he had 30K for a new engine or 10K for a new tranny if I blew it while I had it tuned and of course he said no, but he goes on to say I could just take the tune off if that happens, I said what if I blew the engine or tranny somewhere out of state and could not get to you and had to take it to an Audi dealer where I was and they found this tune, will you replace my engine or tranny then, of course not. Then dont ask me to jeopordize my warranty or my engine/tranny for $800. Then I told hime I would be happy to tune my GTI. LOL.

DHall1
April 12th, 2009, 20:31
Greg,

Clarify. Cover what?

If you tune the car....get a tune that does not solder a new board in the ECU or TCU. That way the tune can be removed if needed.

I would say that with your relationships at the dealer. Zero problems.

I would also say the mainline tune shops will give safe power upgrades to the RS6 if you drive the car within reason. Drive it like you stole it, well expect your mileage to vary.

DuckWingDuck
April 12th, 2009, 22:07
Dave, ya, Willie covered my question (I was referencing my suspension, not tuning) and I also agree that honestly, with my relationship with the guys at the dealership, I don't think there's going to be any issue but was just curious.

Innovator
December 2nd, 2009, 02:12
Platinum coverage is the best Fidelity plan.

You may cancel at any time for unused refund.

It does cover DRC and struts.

Fidelity is the Audi backed policy good at any Audi dealer.

No brainer Are you sure it covers struts and the DRC? I have a Platinum plan, it is says struts are not covered.

GEN XER
December 2nd, 2009, 03:12
Are you sure it covers struts and the DRC? I have a Platinum plan, it is says struts are not covered.

Yes it covers the DRC as a system, not as a stand-alone strut.

GEN XER
December 16th, 2009, 22:02
MM what happened with your tranny. I am waiting on an adjuster to come tomorrow and confirm that the tranny converter is bad and I need a new one. The code for the TC Clutch failure. I need to know how Fidelity deals with trans issues. I don't want to hear rebuilt. I know u have CPO but I'm counting on Dave to chime in here.

DHall1
December 16th, 2009, 22:06
Chime

If TC code

Then TC only

If trans is slipping

Then trans and TC

Trans only avail in ZF reman which should be fine.

The TC is only new and updated.

Call me, you need to be there when the adjuster comes. If anyone drives your car you need to be in it. If they beat the shit out of it and dont replace the trans and opt for the TC only. You will be screwed because by beating the shit out of it they smoked the fluid. make sense

sorry, got to run but you can give me a buzz

mmaturo
December 16th, 2009, 22:48
Chime

If TC code

Then TC only

If trans is slipping

Then trans and TC

Call me, you need to be there when the adjuster comes. If anyone drives your car you need to be in it. If they beat the shit out of it and dont replace the trans and opt for the TC only. You will be screwed because by beating the shit out of it they smoked the fluid. make sense

Exactly what he said. Mine were CPO'd tranny went this last time (slipping) so tranny replaced in my case...and they are all straight from ZF in Germany re-manufactured.

GEN XER
December 17th, 2009, 01:47
Chime

If TC code

Then TC only

If trans is slipping

Then trans and TC

Exactly what he said. Mine were CPO'd tranny went this last time (slipping) so tranny replaced in my case...and they are all straight from ZF in Germany re-manufactured.

Thanks Gentlemen I will be right there when the adjuster arrives and I will try to make them feel some slipping even if it is not slipping. I was under the impression that any code for the trans meant a new trans. Thanks for the correction. So we dont get new tranny's either? BTW the rear diff? Is it 75w90?

DHall1
December 17th, 2009, 07:30
The code is for the TC only.

But the result of the burned clutches in the TC cause burnt fluid to ruin the rest of the transmission.

If the car is driven and the burnt fluid goes thru the rest of the trans...then the whole thing will be toast. That point is hard to determine. The dealer will only want to replace the TC.

If its not slipping between gears 1-2 2-3 3-4 Then there is not much you can do

Thanks Gentlemen I will be right there when the adjuster arrives and I will try to make them feel some slipping even if it is not slipping. I was under the impression that any code for the trans meant a new trans. Thanks for the correction. So we dont get new tranny's either? BTW the rear diff? Is it 75w90?

Innovator
December 17th, 2009, 14:35
The code is for the TC only.

But the result of the burned clutches in the TC cause burnt fluid to ruin the rest of the transmission.

If the car is driven and the burnt fluid goes thru the rest of the trans...then the whole thing will be toast. That point is hard to determine. The dealer will only want to replace the TC.

If its not slipping between gears 1-2 2-3 3-4 Then there is not much you can do There is something that can be done Dave.

It's no so much the burnt fluid as it is the debris that sheds of the slipping TC clutch, and that sheds of the main clutch packs that plugs up the valve body and reduces the pressure required to keep the clutch packs clamped tight. This causes slippage.

The reality is if the trans is not slipping, and just the TC is bad, a new TC should cure it. At that time, the valve body should be taken apart and the screens cleaned inside of it to restore lost pressure. However, once the trans slips a few times at high RPM and power levels, it cooks the clutches very quickly. Make sure the valve body is serviced! If the VB remains clogged up, it will slowly destroy your transmission due to slippage and the increased heat generated from that slippage. BTDT.

I HIGHLY recommend Lucas Trans Fix in our transmissions, and any transmission for that matter. I use it all the time in customers cars. The stuff is magic, and it significantly reduces slipping and rough shifting. It actually coats the clutches with a resin that renews the clutches. Additionally, using Mercon 5 synthetic (yes a non Audi fluid) is a better choice over ATF-1 that is OE in the ZF HP24 . Tozo on this forum who is a transmission expert uses this fluid and has great luck with it, as do I. Don't be afraid to use this additive folks. It's the real deal. It will harm nothing and you will feel the difference almost immediately.
http://www.lucasoil.com/images/products/D5D698FDF5889A0BEAFEF3ECB76240CA.gif

DHall1
December 17th, 2009, 14:52
Rick,

Yes, I completely agree. You detailed what is in that burnt fluid I was talking about. The added bit on VB is a good one as well.

Lucas....makes good products. I use the fuel conditioner in all my cars/diesel motorhome. Buy it by the gallon.

GEN XER
December 17th, 2009, 23:35

The adjuster came in and looked at the codes and went out to the car and said I have seen this Trans code many times before and it means the tranny is no good. I also had the code for passenger side motor mount and he said it was bad. $5000 worth of parts and I don't know how much in labor. Lets see warranty cost me about $4500 so I'm already up and I have 37 months and 40K miles left. Man I'm glad I found this forum and got some good advice on purchasing it.

MaxRS6
December 17th, 2009, 23:48
The adjuster came in and looked at the codes and went out to the car and said I have seen this Trans code many times before and it means the tranny is no good. I also had the code for passenger side motor mount and he said it was bad. $5000 worth of parts and I don't know how much in labor. Lets see warranty cost me about $4500 so I'm already up and I have 37 months and 40K miles left. Man I'm glad I found this forum and got some good advice on purchasing it.

You might want to consider IPT or contact TomoZ that just did P3U's rebuild. Pay the difference between what the warranty company will cover, and IMHO end up with a stronger tranny than just replacing it with what just went south on you.

DHall1
December 18th, 2009, 00:40
Hot dog Willie! Its your lucky day.

Add another 4k in labor.

9k job for 50 dollar deduct.

I think the new ZF reman is fine. The TC will be new and updated.

GEN XER
December 18th, 2009, 01:02
$9000-$4500= Me up $4500 Yeah!!!

Innovator
December 18th, 2009, 15:29
You might want to consider IPT or contact TomoZ that just did P3U's rebuild. Pay the difference between what the warranty company will cover, and IMHO end up with a stronger tranny than just replacing it with what just went south on you.

That's a double edge sword Max...

ZF has failure data from previous new and rebuilt units and in theory, should use that data to build a better box.

IPT should also have this data and knowledge, but you will need to give them your old transmission or let them do the R&R work because they will not have a core to rebuild. ZF can just send you a complete trans and TC.

Bottom line, if you get the trans from whom Fidelity recommends, you will have a longer leg to stand on if it fails again...

MaxRS6
December 18th, 2009, 16:20
That's a double edge sword Max...

ZF has failure data from previous new and rebuilt units and in theory, should use that data to build a better box.

IPT should also have this data and knowledge, but you will need to give them your old transmission or let them do the R&R work because they will not have a core to rebuild. ZF can just send you a complete trans and TC.

Bottom line, if you get the trans from whom Fidelity recommends, you will have a longer leg to stand on if it fails again...

mention are very valid and should certainly be considered. It certainly took longer going the IPT route. I'm certainly not a transmission expert (or even a novice for that matter) and went this route after giving consideration to options and discussing with trusted sources.

I did see a recent post from someone that went the ZF route and had issues within a few weeks. Reality is there is no "right one answer" or a "bullet-proof" fix.

This forum is so great in that everyone can provide their input and experiences. With the information- decisions can be made for independent choice & responsibility.

DHall1
December 18th, 2009, 16:47
The main issue for me is this.

If you have Fidelity. And you use Audi reman ZF. Then you have parts and labor warranty thru Audi.

If for some reason under the blue sky the new/reman trans does not work. Then Audi will pay to R/R the whole thing again. Dealer or indy will get paid again to R/R.

When your talking about 40hrs of labor. It is no small sum.

Edit: VV Bruce only you would come up with that. Its too late for Mark and the thread title is locked in RS6 history

bruce
December 18th, 2009, 16:47
Isn't anyone worried about Mark and the title of this thread????

:harass: New Tranny

MaxRS6
December 18th, 2009, 17:08
The main issue for me is this.

If you have Fidelity. And you use Audi reman ZF. Then you have parts and labor warranty thru Audi.

If for some reason under the blue sky the new/reman trans does not work. Then Audi will pay to R/R the whole thing again. Dealer or indy will get paid again to R/R.

When your talking about 40hrs of labor. It is no small sum.

After that- it is same ballgame. Since I plan on seeing this car roll over 200K and it has some engine mods, I was after an improved tranny and wasn't overly concerned about 12K of warranty(probably about 6 months). My discussions with IPT and others gave me comfort the tranny would perform. Obviously, I hope that I don't have to test needing it repaired in the first 12K- I'll report back in Spring when the odometer has rolled off 12k, and then in a few more years when the 200k rolls up- Time and luck will tell :bigeyes:

GEN XER
December 22nd, 2009, 01:42
Pics of work in progress. I decided to go ahead an do the 75K service and change out the O2 sensors as well. Paul found a leaking Vaccum that was causing the car to run rich. Paul is the guy in the pics. I also changed the rear diff oil. It didn't look to bad.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/IMG_0670.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/IMG_0667.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/IMG_0668.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/IMG_0669.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/IMG_0677.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/IMG_0678.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/IMG_0679.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/IMG_0681.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/IMG_0682.jpg

GEN XER
December 23rd, 2009, 03:41
Additional work posted here.
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19972

Spidercat
December 24th, 2009, 03:14
@GEN XER- would you be able to do me a favor and measure the exhaust diameter (of the main piping)?

I'm 95% sure that it's 2.5 inches, but want to be 100%.

GEN XER
December 24th, 2009, 03:33
@GEN XER- would you be able to do me a favor and measure the exhaust diameter (of the main piping)?

I'm 95% sure that it's 2.5 inches, but want to be 100%.

Yes its 2.5", already did it.

ben916
December 24th, 2009, 07:50
Isn't anyone worried about Mark and the title of this thread????

:harass: New Tranny

I was waiting for someone else to say something....