PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank leak.

Spidercat
April 7th, 2009, 01:43
Thought you guys may be interested in this:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126359

Surely that only affects the A6/allroad, not the RS6?
Unfortunately, no.
My car has been leaking fuel for a few weeks now. I thought I had just "topped-off" aggressively and was getting the overflow. It stopped when I got to about 3/4 tank, but our garage smelled like gas for a while. I eventually put a little tupperware container under the gas tank to see what's what, and collected about 50mL overnight. The night before I had to mop up that amount from the floor.
Anyway, I brought the car in Friday (Why always a Friday?) I thought that it was probably just a loose fitting from when the engine had been dropped out recently to replace the TC and a well-placed twist of a screwdriver and I'd be on my way. Nope. The SA told me that they had a recall for A6s and all-roads for leaking roll-over valves, and they didn't want me driving it while leaking gas.
So, today I find that the plastic nipple at the top of the plastic gas tank is cracked, and the whole tank needs to be replaced. (yes, I thought of titling the post "leaking nipples" but that would have helped no one). They of course don't have one in stock and they need to order it. Yay! I live in Hawaii!!!
He also told me that in Audi's infinite wisdom, the "upgraded" fuel tank won't work with my fuel pump, and I'll need a new fuel pump. Also, my aftermarket warranty may or may not cover it, as the adjuster didn't come out yet.
Well, somebody other than me better cover it. I think Audi should, since it's a recall-that-never-was. They've already had to replace soemone else's RS6 tank (which puts them up to 40%, right now), so it's not uncommon. Also, the warranty company won't pay for a rental car while I wait for the parts to get here. Again, yay.
I told him to ordered the parts, overnight tem, and I'll pay for the shipping, because my wife needs her car back, and I'm am not actually going to pay to drive a malibu (that sounded elitist, didn't it?). I'd rather pay for the overnight shipping and have my car done by Thursday.
I told him we could figure out who pays for what later. Either way, I need a non-leaking gas tank. Anyway, I needed to vent and you guys may want to look into the above link to see what Audi says about reinforcing your tank before it breaks.
I'm also fishing for some bolstering from the more aggressive crowd (you know who you are), and some pre-emptive strike comments in my hip pocket if they both think the other guy should pay (dealer and warranty company). I think Audi should at least give me a loaner for the balance of the time the warranty won't pay for. I already asked last Friday for a loaner, and they said that although they usually try to hook me up, they didn't have any cars available now.
All-in-all, it's about a $1500 job, I'm told. Sorry this post was insanely long.

GEN XER
April 7th, 2009, 02:25
"owners of the respected vehicles should contact Audi immediately at (800) 822-2834." Hey give it a try. What the hell. A-6 RS6 same parts.

MaxRS6
April 7th, 2009, 03:03
The 4th time seems to have been the charm as it has been about 2 years since the last one.

DHall1
April 7th, 2009, 03:33
Yep, same tank, same problem. Better call legal and AoA. More than 1 RS6 has the problem.

Thought you guys may be interested in this:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126359

Surely that only affects the A6/allroad, not the RS6?
Unfortunately, no.
My car has been leaking fuel for a few weeks now. I thought I had just "topped-off" aggressively and was getting the overflow. It stopped when I got to about 3/4 tank, but our garage smelled like gas for a while. I eventually put a little tupperware container under the gas tank to see what's what, and collected about 50mL overnight. The night before I had to mop up that amount from the floor.
Anyway, I brought the car in Friday (Why always a Friday?) I thought that it was probably just a loose fitting from when the engine had been dropped out recently to replace the TC and a well-placed twist of a screwdriver and I'd be on my way. Nope. The SA told me that they had a recall for A6s and all-roads for leaking roll-over valves, and they didn't want me driving it while leaking gas.
So, today I find that the plastic nipple at the top of the plastic gas tank is cracked, and the whole tank needs to be replaced. (yes, I thought of titling the post "leaking nipples" but that would have helped no one). They of course don't have one in stock and they need to order it. Yay! I live in Hawaii!!!
He also told me that in Audi's infinite wisdom, the "upgraded" fuel tank won't work with my fuel pump, and I'll need a new fuel pump. Also, my aftermarket warranty may or may not cover it, as the adjuster didn't come out yet.
Well, somebody other than me better cover it. I think Audi should, since it's a recall-that-never-was. They've already had to replace soemone else's RS6 tank (which puts them up to 40%, right now), so it's not uncommon. Also, the warranty company won't pay for a rental car while I wait for the parts to get here. Again, yay.
I told him to ordered the parts, overnight tem, and I'll pay for the shipping, because my wife needs her car back, and I'm am not actually going to pay to drive a malibu (that sounded elitist, didn't it?). I'd rather pay for the overnight shipping and have my car done by Thursday.
I told him we could figure out who pays for what later. Either way, I need a non-leaking gas tank. Anyway, I needed to vent and you guys may want to look into the above link to see what Audi says about reinforcing your tank before it breaks.
I'm also fishing for some bolstering from the more aggressive crowd (you know who you are), and some pre-emptive strike comments in my hip pocket if they both think the other guy should pay (dealer and warranty company). I think Audi should at least give me a loaner for the balance of the time the warranty won't pay for. I already asked last Friday for a loaner, and they said that although they usually try to hook me up, they didn't have any cars available now.
All-in-all, it's about a $1500 job, I'm told. Sorry this post was insanely long.

mmaturo
April 7th, 2009, 17:09
Yep, same tank, same problem. Better call legal and AoA. More than 1 RS6 has the problem.

Gee...the one problem my car has not had ever...(yet). Is there a way for them to visually inspect it to tell if it is about to fail if its not already leaking...

My CPO runs out in June so with my luck it will give out in July.

Taking in car tomorrow for Air Bag light...I'll take this article with me to see what they say. Thanks for the heads up.

GEN XER
April 7th, 2009, 17:49
Gee...the one problem my car has not had ever...(yet). Is there a way for them to visually inspect it to tell if it is about to fail if its not already leaking...

My CPO runs out in June so with my luck it will give out in July.

Taking in car tomorrow for Air Bag light...I'll take this article with me to see what they say. Thanks for the heads up.

When your warrenty is about to expire you are suppose to get a front to back inspection of your vehicle and if the tech finds anything wrong or looks like it is about to go bad he is suppose to note it so if it goes bad 5K miles after your warrenty expires it was noted before the warrenty expired and therefore covered. Good dealers do this bad ones dont. The tech gets paid more money with customer pay than he does with warrenty work. This is why a car with a warrenty sits all day and a car being paid for by the customer is in and out. MM you seem to have a car with gremlins you may want to keep a warrenty, it will pay for itself regardless of the cost.

mmaturo
April 7th, 2009, 18:56
When your warrenty is about to expire you are suppose to get a front to back inspection of your vehicle and if the tech finds anything wrong or looks like it is about to go bad he is suppose to note it so if it goes bad 5K miles after your warrenty expires it was noted before the warrenty expired and therefore covered. Good dealers do this bad ones dont. The tech gets paid more money with customer pay than he does with warrenty work. This is why a car with a warrenty sits all day and a car being paid for by the customer is in and out. MM you seem to have a car with gremlins you may want to keep a warrenty, it will pay for itself regardless of the cost.

Didn't know that either, although did have a thorough one on my last Audi that did pick up a lot of items...

SAF
April 7th, 2009, 20:49
When your warrenty is about to expire you are suppose to get a front to back inspection of your vehicle.

"Supposed to" meaning Audi is supposed to do it? Or "supposed to" as in it's always a good idea to do it before your warranty runs out?

I have never heard of a car company providing a planned pre-end-of-warranty inspection.

DuckWingDuck
April 7th, 2009, 22:55
ya, i've never heard of that either; would be great if it's offered but warranty companies are just like insurance companies, reallllly happy to take your money for the premium/coverage but stingy as hell when it comes time to pay out. I can't imagine why they would perform an inspection right before their coverage runs out. More likely, the warranty company is hoping and praying that you don't remember when it runs out!

speaking of which, I think it's time I went in and got my turbos and transmission looked at.

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 7th, 2009, 23:50
Hi, Same with my RS6. See my thread dated March 19th " Great news" BTW I also own an Allroad.
They should cover it, It really is a $2900.00 Job, the whole rear has to be dropped. The used all my orig parts.
Good luck

DuckWingDuck
April 7th, 2009, 23:55
john, when you want to get together and grab a cheesesteak whiz wit? Actually, I don't think Philly's Best does cheese whiz....

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 8th, 2009, 00:44
Hi Greg, I will be at Fab Fords Forever at Knotts 4/19 showing my 72 Cougar Conv. untill 3:00. Do you want to meet about 4:30 - 5:00?

DuckWingDuck
April 8th, 2009, 01:06
ya, that should work. Hit me up with an email as we get closer. My schedule is such that I'm not always certain about my movements but so far I should be in town on the 19th. Have Joachim drive your RS6! heh.

SAF
April 8th, 2009, 01:19
john, when you want to get together and grab a cheesesteak whiz wit? Actually, I don't think Philly's Best does cheese whiz....

:nono: Yo, it's "cheesesteak wit". Tourists, jeez. ;)

DuckWingDuck
April 8th, 2009, 02:26
LOL, whatever :P

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 8th, 2009, 04:11
Greg, Joachim would like that way too much,but ok. Now the RS has the new TC,( And replying to the new owner in VA the check engine light came on that's the only way I knew.) He will also like the softer ride. Dave I found out I have bilstein PSS9's. I have dialed it down and having the car raised back up about 20mm,while new brakes and tires are being placed on it and found I have the two H-sports anti sway bars.
But back to this tread. My 37 year old Cougar has the same gas tank and no problems. My 6 yo RS had the roll over valve crack an spew fuel all over at 3/4 tank. I called AOA on the recall they had on my Allroad tank and was told "different part number" so no recall. I argued same basic car (A6), They checked my VIN ( this is how I found out it was a CPO with transferable warranty) and told me "VIN not in recall, sorry, but your CPO will cover it"..."What warranty?" Also I checked the Fidalus Platinum covers it. Thou a recall should be done, at this point the highway safety commission should know. I will try and attach photos of mine.
Greg wherever is your favorate place to eat.

DuckWingDuck
April 8th, 2009, 04:18
I was just thinking, if you're going to be in Buena Park, we can go to Portillo's. They have good stuff over there or there's always the fried chicken at Knott's. Heh.

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 8th, 2009, 04:24
Man do you just sit on this site? ;)

Spidercat
April 8th, 2009, 04:39
Thanks, guys! Still waiting to hear from the warranty company. I really don't care who pays for it, other than me. Actual, I'd rather have Audi pay for it, since it won't be anything oop for me (warranty only pays about 90% out here due to overhead costs, etc. The rest is oop). I was told that the RS6 was on the recall list for like a day, but then erased, so it was never officially recalled for this, so Audi won't pay.

In order to check it, SA said that the rear seat needs to be removed to check the valve on top. If it's not broke yet, they can "reinforce" it. Once it's broke, a new tank is needed (probably fuel pump, too).
MaxRS6, I can't believe you've been through this 4 times!!! Was it 3 "old style" tanks and the last one was the "new" re-inforced one? Please tell me yes. I thought the whole point was to fix the underlying problem with a solution, not replace the problem with a new problem? Oh, wait, DRC. My bad.
I'll let you know how things turn out.

And cheese whiz on a cheese steak? Really? WTF? Who does that?! Pat's or Geno's?

DuckWingDuck
April 8th, 2009, 05:08
spidercat - cheese whiz is the way to eat cheesesteak when you're in Philly and a local.

John - lol, I'm just quick like that sometimes! http://www.portillos.com/portillos/menu/ Their italian beef is really quite good.

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 8th, 2009, 05:17
It's a date! Joachim and I will be there. And you will see the other LOML ( love of my life):love:

STaley
April 8th, 2009, 13:35
I had a customer come into the shop about 3 months ago with a leaky tank. He said.. AH there is no problem, and didn't want to fix it!

The only problem that I see with mine is that my fuel gauge seems to swing from F to E rather quickly ;) and thats not really a problem.

Spidercat
April 8th, 2009, 23:59
Well, now it begins. The warranty co will only pay for the tank, not the fuel pump. I talked with my SA, and let him know that I'd be contacting AoA about this safety issue and their "solution" which should include a new fuel pump if they specifically designed the new tank to NOT fit the old fuel pump.
He said "Go for it! It can't hurt."
Maybe it will save me $1.5K.

Option two is to not fill the tank more than 3/4 full, I guess. Or carry around a little tupperware container to catch the puddle of gas under my car. Is that what MercAMG suggests with their flagship cars? BMW probably gives you the tupperware container with a little enameled cloisson on it, I bet!

I was born and raised in Philly, and never heard of the cheesewhiz thing. Maybe I'll give this a try next time I'm back. I can't eat a cheesesteak anywhere else.

DHall1
April 9th, 2009, 00:47
I feel your pain.

I would be on the phone with AoA to ream them a new ass. Why in the hell would AoA recall the A6 and Allroad and then not recall the RS6. Give me a friggin brake here. I am about to go postal on these idiots. Its time to call the DOT on this issue. You want exploding 100,000 dollar vehicles out on the US highways?

Hell, lets give more gov workers retirement at the age of 35 and say pay all the retirement pay of say 100k/yr + free healthcare.

You would think we own Kia Rio's or something. Damn it

Well, now it begins. The warranty co will only pay for the tank, not the fuel pump. I talked with my SA, and let him know that I'd be contacting AoA about this safety issue and their "solution" which should include a new fuel pump if they specifically designed the new tank to NOT fit the old fuel pump.
He said "Go for it! It can't hurt."
Maybe it will save me $1.5K.

Option two is to not fill the tank more than 3/4 full, I guess. Or carry around a little tupperware container to catch the puddle of gas under my car. Is that what MercAMG suggests with their flagship cars? BMW probably gives you the tupperware container with a little enameled cloisson on it, I bet!

I was born and raised in Philly, and never heard of the cheesewhiz thing. Maybe I'll give this a try next time I'm back. I can't eat a cheesesteak anywhere else.

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 9th, 2009, 01:25
SPIDERCAT,
I am including my fuel tank repair invoice from just 2 weeks ago,note dates.
Note in the body of the right up they state they "transferred internal components to new tank"
You can show them this and that it was done under CPO for the $50.00 deductible. Ask them if maybe California techs are better/smarter than Hawaii techs.
Also I got a loaner for just $19.00 for however long it takes to repair my car.
Hope this helps.
John

Spidercat
April 9th, 2009, 03:57
Dave,
Thanks for the bolstering! That's exactly what I was looking for! I think I'll re-read that post right before I call AoA tomorrow (damn time zones! damn work!) to get me fired-up. :vgrumpy:

John,
Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to scan and post your invoice! I really appreciate it. Also, excellent suggestion regarding the CA vs HI tech challenge! I'll throw down the gauntlet and see if they accept!

Spidercat
April 9th, 2009, 20:25
John,
My service advisor wanted to know what the part number was for the gas tank on your invoice (he said maybe on the first page?).
Did you have a new tank put in? He couldn't figure out what the butyl tape was for, either. He said maybe they used an older-style tank which may use the original fuel pump. He said the part number for the tank would clear everything up. I don't suppose you have the part number for your replaced gas tank?

I also talked to the AoA rep today. He can't give me anything definitive until he looks into it today/tomorrow. Suffice it to say, not ALL A6s/allroads were recalled (depends upon VIN and what OEM supplier actually made the gas tank on a particular car). Obviously, it's a design problem, and ALL tanks should be recalled, since it's not that uncommon a problem. He countered, and started talking about normal wear-and-tear, and I had to stop him. Gas tanks aren't supposed to get "worn out" and then leak gas all over one's garage! WTF!? How is that NOT a design flaw? And the fix requires me to shell out over $1500 in Audi parts that were not even broken? I'll wait and see what he says. I'm starting to like Dave's idea of DOT if I get the run-around. In the meantime...
I'll be calling the warranty co next. to see why they won't replace the fuel pump. This is supremely frustrating. Who has time for all this!?

DHall1
April 9th, 2009, 20:50
Well,

I have a little secret to tell you. Keep to your guns when it comes to these types of matters. I get all fired up about things when its very clear that common reason was not applied to any given situation. Many may think I joke around about the "Kia Rio" statements but I say them to make a point.

The Audi RS6, RS4, R8 and some others are litterally lethal weapons. These are hand built race cars for the street. They also cost upwards of 6 figures and owners will drive them to the limit from time to time. These vehicles also give such weight to the brand perspective of Audi.

When you say Audi....what do you think? You should say "Excellence in engineering" The car should operate in that same manner.

I think Audi does take that account and brand perspective very very serious. The whole market share in the US is riding on that point.

So stick to your guns and I think Audi will make it right. Why do I say this? Well because Audi of America called me today out of the blue. Called me on my cell phone and laid out a very good plan to fix my DRC with all the updated parts and make my car right to enjoy and take to all the driving events I wish to attend. Not in August....right now. I am very happy.

Dave

John,
My service advisor wanted to know what the part number was for the gas tank on your invoice (he said maybe on the first page?).
Did you have a new tank put in? He couldn't figure out what the butyl tape was for, either. He said maybe they used an older-style tank which may use the original fuel pump. He said the part number for the tank would clear everything up. I don't suppose you have the part number for your replaced gas tank?

I also talked to the AoA rep today. He can't give me anything definitive until he looks into it today/tomorrow. Suffice it to say, not ALL A6s/allroads were recalled (depends upon VIN and what OEM supplier actually made the gas tank on a particular car). Obviously, it's a design problem, and ALL tanks should be recalled, since it's not that uncommon a problem. He countered, and started talking about normal wear-and-tear, and I had to stop him. Gas tanks aren't supposed to get "worn out" and then leak gas all over one's garage! WTF!? How is that NOT a design flaw? And the fix requires me to shell out over $1500 in Audi parts that were not even broken? I'll wait and see what he says. I'm starting to like Dave's idea of DOT if I get the run-around. In the meantime...
I'll be calling the warranty co next. to see why they won't replace the fuel pump. This is supremely frustrating. Who has time for all this!?

GEN XER
April 9th, 2009, 21:12
Well,

I have a little secret to tell you. Keep to your guns when it comes to these types of matters. I get all fired up about things when its very clear that common reason was not applied to any given situation. Many may think I joke around about the "Kia Rio" statements but I say them to make a point.

The Audi RS6, RS4, R8 and some others are litterally lethal weapons. These are hand built race cars for the street. They also cost upwards of 6 figures and owners will drive them to the limit from time to time. These vehicles also give such weight to the brand perspective of Audi.

When you say Audi....what do you think? You should say "Excellence in engineering" The car should operate in that same manner.

I think Audi does take that account and brand perspective very very serious. The whole market share in the US is riding on that point.

So stick to your guns and I think Audi will make it right. Why do I say this? Well because Audi of America called me today out of the blue. Called me on my cell phone and laid out a very good plan to fix my DRC with all the updated parts and make my car right to enjoy and take to all the driving events I wish to attend. Not in August....right now. I am very happy.

Dave

DAMN!!!!

I want a phone call. I got DRC issues. I want to attend driving events. I dont drive mine at all, well at least not the way it was designed to be driven because it drives like it is riding on ice. I hit a bump and it is an adventure. I called the dealer in Richmond Va because the techs in Va Bch are ok, but none of them actually own an audi, they are all from the Honda crowd and learned to work on Audi's to make money. The guys in Richmond actually love the cars they work on, so I think Im going to take my car there for the DRC repair. I called them they were familiar with the issue, more familiar than the guys in Va Beach at least, they told me that there were no parts available but as soon as some became available that they would be more than happy to do the install. I told them how they could get the parts, but of course I dont know what Im talking about :doh:so im not going to go through the BS. Ill just let it sit in the driveway and drive it on occasion just to keep the parts moving, because unless it comes from the top the are not going to move on it. I hate dealerships, I mean hate them they are not going to investigate anthing on there own to find out if it is true. I avoid them like the plague. I am glad for you Dave but the rest of us will still be SOL until AUG. One good thing though, I did good in the stock market today.

Thanks Dave.

DHall1
April 9th, 2009, 21:20
Willie,

Your welcome. I take it your learning not to be just a "buy and hold" investor. :-)

Hang in there....I will get my .02c in for you with Audi.

I did ya good on some stock info....I have you covered. Did you get the WFC sold yet? Hurry

DAMN!!!!

I want a phone call. I got DRC issues. I want to attend driving events. I dont drive mine at all, well at least not the way it was designed to be driven because it drives like it is riding on ice. I hit a bump and it is an adventure. I called the dealer in Richmond Va because the techs in Va Bch are ok, but none of them actually own an audi, they are all from the Honda crowd and learned to work on Audi's to make money. The guys in Richmond actually love the cars they work on, so I think Im going to take my car there for the DRC repair. I called them they were familiar with the issue, more familiar than the guys in Va Beach at least, they told me that there were no parts available but as soon as some became available that they would be more than happy to do the install. I told them how they could get the parts, but of course I dont know what Im talking about :doh:so im not going to go through the BS. Ill just let it sit in the driveway and drive it on occasion just to keep the parts moving, because unless it comes from the top the are not going to move on it. I hate dealerships, I mean hate them they are not going to investigate anthing on there own to find out if it is true. I avoid them like the plague. I am glad for you Dave but the rest of us will still be SOL until AUG. One good thing though, I did good in the stock market today.

Thanks Dave.

GEN XER
April 9th, 2009, 21:31
Willie,

Your welcome. I take it your learning not to be just a "buy and hold" investor. :-)

Hang in there....I will get my .02c in for you with Audi.

I did ya good on some stock info....I have you covered. Did you get the WFC sold yet? Hurry

Yes I got a 116 page book on option buying titled "Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options"

Thats kind of you.

Yes WFC was a good one and yes I sold 70% of it when i got off the phone.

terrytcl
April 9th, 2009, 21:34
spidercat - cheese whiz is the way to eat cheesesteak when you're in Philly and a local.

John - lol, I'm just quick like that sometimes! http://www.portillos.com/portillos/menu/ Their italian beef is really quite good.

wow, didn't know portillos made their way out to CA...

i grew up on portillos.

their italian beef is one of the best around here, although... there are a couple better joints.

as for their hotdogs... there are definitely better places around here.

do they have barnelli's with your portillos?

DuckWingDuck
April 9th, 2009, 21:48
terry, no, no barnelli's as far as I'm aware.

willie/dave - buy and hold isn't always a terrible concept! I've got some index that I recently purchased. but I'm a long term investor. I've not lost money whenever I've played on my way but I don't have enough confidence nor time! to be too actively trading.

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 9th, 2009, 21:48
Spidercat,

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 9th, 2009, 21:50
SPIDERCAT,
Damb computer jumps about.
I am at work now but will get you the info tonight.
John

DHall1
April 9th, 2009, 21:50
Beer is on Willie!

:cheers:

Yes WFC was a good one and yes I sold 70% of it when i got off the phone.[/quote]

DHall1
April 9th, 2009, 21:52
:-)

I donno....Willie made 5k in a week with 1 stock. I think thats worth 15min of effort.

:burnout:

willie/dave - buy and hold isn't always a terrible concept! I've got some index that I recently purchased. but I'm a long term investor. I've not lost money whenever I've played on my way but I don't have enough confidence nor time! to be too actively trading.

DHall1
April 9th, 2009, 21:54
Index typically eat up potential profits. I know about the time but I dont like to pay excess fees for no better performance.

WFC up 31% in 1 day.

BAC was even bigger.

Those are "crack" types of gains. Man o man...there should be laws against such gains. Wait, let me deposit the money before they write the laws. Doh!

DuckWingDuck
April 9th, 2009, 22:13
oh, no doubt about it, I've made momentum money like this before and as we have talked about on many occasions, down markets like this are made for people with some scratch. I doubled my money on C when they got their initial bailout money, and I've been doing ok the last week with some "play" trades but on the whole of it, I don't trust my acumen enough to be betting my retirement money.

DHall1
April 9th, 2009, 22:21
Ok,

Play money. Say 1500 dollars. Thats play money.

1500 dollars exposed in a "sell PUT" position in WFC as say a 14 level.

You sold it today for 5000 in profit.

Say 15000 in that same position. 50000

The reason for say WFC over BAC. WFC is a safer bet. WFC has a zero cost refi out right now. Zero cost refi at 4.875. WFC will steal the good loans from the competition and cash in big time.

oh, no doubt about it, I've made momentum money like this before and as we have talked about on many occasions, down markets like this are made for people with some scratch. I doubled my money on C when they got their initial bailout money, and I've been doing ok the last week with some "play" trades but on the whole of it, I don't trust my acumen enough to be betting my retirement money.

DuckWingDuck
April 9th, 2009, 23:01
oh, i cleared quite a bit more on C but I don't deny that momentum plays are great; and options = :thumb: :thumb:

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 9th, 2009, 23:06
Bought GE at bottom and bought 30 JAN 15 calls for under a buck. Up 80% for 3 weeks. Hope to do even better by Jan 2010. Love the buys in a down year, Ref the RS6 I got in Feb.:dig:

hahnmgh63
April 9th, 2009, 23:09
Everyone with the problem should complain to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

DuckWingDuck
April 9th, 2009, 23:15
Everyone with the problem should complain to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Lotta good that did with the DRC, though I guess maybe NHTSA were working behind the scenes which led to Audi's DRC recall...

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 9th, 2009, 23:28
Though "bump in the trunk" is a lot different than "boom in the butt"

DuckWingDuck
April 9th, 2009, 23:39
or "my shit is leaking gas and the only way i know is because there's this trail of fire behind me"

heh.....

DHall1
April 9th, 2009, 23:49
John,

Is GE going back up that high?

Bought GE at bottom and bought 30 JAN 15 calls for under a buck. Up 80% for 3 weeks. Hope to do even better by Jan 2010. Love the buys in a down year, Ref the RS6 I got in Feb.:dig:

DHall1
April 9th, 2009, 23:56
:harass:
Look! His shit is leaking gas

or "my shit is leaking gas and the only way i know is because there's this trail of fire behind me"

heh.....

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 10th, 2009, 00:04
Dave, It doesn't matter. The price of the calls will still go up. They are above a doller already.

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 10th, 2009, 00:06
Oh I should have said 30 contracts or 3000 calls, so every dime is $300.00

DHall1
April 10th, 2009, 00:32
John,

I got ya. You had it correct the first time.

Have you seen any clarification on GE Capital losses and how GE will cover those positions? I have not looked at GE but noticed a recent gain

Oh I should have said 30 contracts or 3000 calls, so every dime is $300.00

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 10th, 2009, 02:03
SPIDERCAT,
Found the pn on page 3 hope this helps.

Dave, Capital loss doesn't matter, only in untill Jan.

Spidercat
April 10th, 2009, 02:32
John,
Thanks a million!!!
Dave,
How do the rest us us get in line for DRC? My dealer didn't know 'cause Audi hasn't told them squat yet. The RS6 hotline AoA guy told me prolly August, maybe sooner. You must have an inside line!

GEN XER
April 10th, 2009, 03:42
:-)

I donno....Willie made 5k in a week with 1 stock. I think thats worth 15min of effort.

:burnout:

Cohiba's for everybody.

GEN XER
April 10th, 2009, 03:53
John,
Thanks a million!!!
Dave,
How do the rest us us get in line for DRC? My dealer didn't know 'cause Audi hasn't told them squat yet. The RS6 hotline AoA guy told me prolly August, maybe sooner. You must have an inside line!

Bingo, and they wont because they are not proactive, not even when you go in an tell them about it, because you are just a customer, you cant possibly be in-the-know. I mean they act like the internet is just for playing video games, myspace and twitter or something. I dont blame them they are only doing what they are taught to do, its an industry standard, because they all do it and they all say the same thing in there defense "we dont do business that way". :doh: Jeeez!

GEN XER
April 10th, 2009, 03:54
John,

Is GE going back up that high?

I hope so I own them to.

DHall1
April 10th, 2009, 04:07
I will keep everyone informed. If the deal goes thru and the AoA rep makes all of this happen. Then, I will recommend our group to be included.

I must have hit a nerve or two with all my bantering over the weeks about this problem. I trust Audi to make this work because its in the best interest for everyone involved. That is how you gain customer trust and loyalty. Its not rocket science.

John,
Thanks a million!!!
Dave,

Spidercat
April 10th, 2009, 09:57
OK, so I'm a little jealous right now! Not because you got a personal phone call from AoA, or because they are fixing your DRC like now, but they didn't even have my data in their system from last year when I called the RS6 hotline when I got the run-around from the warranty company and the DRC. Audi hotline fixed it in a couple of days (my dealer was on his second week by that point).
Anyway, when I called on my way to work this a.m., I thought that I'd only have to give them my name and then tell them my beef. They surely could look up the rest. No, they didn't have me listed as owning an RS6, just the A4. Then they wanted my VIN (like I keep my VIN on me in a rental car!?) Luckily, I do. FU AoA. It was on the DRC letter I carry around in my bag. Anyway, had a chat about Audi's, brand loyalty, future RS6s (he said C6 definately not coming to US, but maybe other high-end Audis???). Asked me a lot of marketing questions, so I gave him an earful. Got the impression that they do really care about keeping Audi owners Audi owners. Asked about previous cars, etc. (used to be P-car brand loyal, but now I need more doors/room, enter Audi RS). We'll see if this is all just lip-service, but they did me right with the last issue I had. Just wished they had not erased me from their data bank. I did get a DRC letter, so somebody's got me on their radar.
Anyway, talked to my SA, and the overnight tank got here overnight. Fuel pump not so much. They are going to try to do it with the old pump thanks to John's invoice (thanks again :cheers:). If they can't make it work (the other RS6 they did needed the new pump), then hopefully the new pump will get here in time tomorrow for install.
Having my "uber-Audi" in the shop so much is making people around me doubt my judgement (wife, colleagues, etc.) about my choice in cars, and Audi's ability to build reliable cars. I realize you hafta pay to play, but c'mon! I need more than a 50/50 split! It's my daily for cryin out loud, and I didn't build it myself in my garage! Audi, help me help you buy your cars!

GEN XER
April 10th, 2009, 16:55
OK, so I'm a little jealous right now! Not because you got a personal phone call from AoA, or because they are fixing your DRC like now, but they didn't even have my data in their system from last year when I called the RS6 hotline when I got the run-around from the warranty company and the DRC. Audi hotline fixed it in a couple of days (my dealer was on his second week by that point).
Anyway, when I called on my way to work this a.m., I thought that I'd only have to give them my name and then tell them my beef. They surely could look up the rest. No, they didn't have me listed as owning an RS6, just the A4. Then they wanted my VIN (like I keep my VIN on me in a rental car!?) Luckily, I do. FU AoA. It was on the DRC letter I carry around in my bag. Anyway, had a chat about Audi's, brand loyalty, future RS6s (he said C6 definately not coming to US, but maybe other high-end Audis???). Asked me a lot of marketing questions, so I gave him an earful. Got the impression that they do really care about keeping Audi owners Audi owners. Asked about previous cars, etc. (used to be P-car brand loyal, but now I need more doors/room, enter Audi RS). We'll see if this is all just lip-service, but they did me right with the last issue I had. Just wished they had not erased me from their data bank. I did get a DRC letter, so somebody's got me on their radar.
Anyway, talked to my SA, and the overnight tank got here overnight. Fuel pump not so much. They are going to try to do it with the old pump thanks to John's invoice (thanks again :cheers:). If they can't make it work (the other RS6 they did needed the new pump), then hopefully the new pump will get here in time tomorrow for install.
Having my "uber-Audi" in the shop so much is making people around me doubt my judgement (wife, colleagues, etc.) about my choice in cars, and Audi's ability to build reliable cars. I realize you hafta pay to play, but c'mon! I need more than a 50/50 split! It's my daily for cryin out loud, and I didn't build it myself in my garage! Audi, help me help you buy your cars!

Yeah its funny, my wife asked me why I got another car and I dont drive it. I told her about the isssue and she says, " huh I dont have those problems with my $14K xB" ouch way ouch. Now thats just damn embarrassing. Lets see RS6 90K new, Xb 14K new. Dont really matter about all my other arguments:w: for the Audi when its sitting in the driveway now does it.

DHall1
April 10th, 2009, 17:17
Willie,

Agreed but not quite apples to apples. Scion is not a comparable to the RS6. 4 doors on a tin can is not the beast.

Just think about the dinner table at my house. My wife(E55 AMG) asks why Audi is calling. I have to explain about the DRC, the Recall, the delay in parts, the car sitting out in the garage. She then asks why we didnt go to the last Audi driving event. Well, the same DRC, Recall and delay in service parts have eliminated any chance to enjoy the car at driving events and its only "safe" to drive over and get groceries. So, the cat is out of the bag in my house. My goose is cooked....I have not told the wife about the DRC issues, my shocks, the recall and delay in parts. I hope Audi comes thru and gets this thing fixed asap.

What good is the Audi sitting out in the garage if you cant drive it? She says. Didnt you purchase the Audi Platinum warranty. What good is the Platinum Fidelity warranty if no parts are available.

At this point I may as well bend over and insert my foot in mouth because nothing I can say will dig me out of this hole. She is in finance and I know what she is thinking. That capital that sits out in the garage bought and paid for could be put to better use in the markets to make larger gains. She has got me. I could have put 50k into WFC instead of 10k. That 50k would be 140k today instead of 24k.

So I have to retreat with tail between legs. Not fun. She drives her AMG every day without issue and its of the same price and class as the RS6. Audi better hurry up if they wish for repeat business because the "engineering excellence" aint so excellent right now.

:eye:

Yeah its funny, my wife asked me why I got another car and I dont drive it. I told her about the isssue and she says, " huh I dont have those problems with my $14K xB" ouch way ouch. Now thats just damn embarrassing. Lets see RS6 90K new, Xb 14K new. Dont really matter about all my other arguments:w: for the Audi when its sitting in the driveway now does it.

mmaturo
April 10th, 2009, 17:58
Willie,

Agreed but not quite apples to apples. Scion is not a comparable to the RS6. 4 doors on a tin can is not the beast.

Just think about the dinner table at my house. My wife(E55 AMG) asks why Audi is calling. I have to explain about the DRC, the Recall, the delay in parts, the car sitting out in the garage. She then asks why we didnt go to the last Audi driving event. Well, the same DRC, Recall and delay in service parts have eliminated any chance to enjoy the car at driving events and its only "safe" to drive over and get groceries. So, the cat is out of the bag in my house. My goose is cooked....I have not told the wife about the DRC issues, my shocks, the recall and delay in parts. I hope Audi comes thru and gets this thing fixed asap.

What good is the Audi sitting out in the garage if you cant drive it? She says. Didnt you purchase the Audi Platinum warranty. What good is the Platinum Fidelity warranty if no parts are available.

At this point I may as well bend over and insert my foot in mouth because nothing I can say will dig me out of this hole. She is in finance and I know what she is thinking. That capital that sits out in the garage bought and paid for could be put to better use in the markets to make larger gains. She has got me. I could have put 50k into WFC instead of 10k. That 50k would be 140k today instead of 24k.

So I have to retreat with tail between legs. Not fun. She drives her AMG every day without issue and its of the same price and class as the RS6. Audi better hurry up if they wish for repeat business because the "engineering excellence" aint so excellent right now.

Ahhh yes...i'm enjoying my Q7 loaner now while i wait on transmission work, DRC was in January...RS6 is in the shop every 3 months for weeks at a time consistently over 4 years...same problem here from my significant other and everyone I know. Good thing i love the damn thing. Sadly i know my next RS or R8 or S car cannot possibly be as bad, i just have to get through this one.

GEN XER
April 10th, 2009, 18:09
Yes, but my wife's argument is much the same why not use the money you spent on another car in the market, or even better why do you even need another car period. You have the GTI, the SRT8, 73 vette, and a Busa and you dont even drive the SRT8 so why spend more money on this RS6? I mean we get it, but we cant make them get it. Im selling the SRT8 but its not sold, so until it sells its just something she can throw back at me. My wife would never own a car that costs the kind of money we are talking about for cars, just not going to happen. She will drive this xB until it falls apart and that will be fine by her and I am not looking to change that. I on the other hand have a thing for nice cars, Its my vice. If I get it I want it with the biggest engine it came with.

Willie,

DHall1
April 10th, 2009, 18:19
I think the statement below sums it all up. Bless thier little hearts that I can get my cars from time to time. And when it comes time for her car...I get to throw in my .02c and pick the car. She pics the colors and interior. I picked the E55 for her and she picked the colors

For my cars...I get to add a car from time to time. I also get the chance to keep my old cars if we have room and there is something special about the car. Arent they all special? haha

And yes, I get the statement why do we need so many cars. Its down to 5 and the motorhome right now. Best its been in years. All is quiet on the homefront. Just this darn DRC.

Yes, but my wife's argument is much the same why not use the money you spent on another car in the market, or even better why do you even need another car period. You have the GTI, the SRT8, 73 vette, and a Busa and you dont even drive the SRT8 so why spend more money on this RS6? I mean we get it, but we cant make them get it. Im selling the SRT8 but its not sold, so until it sells its just something she can throw back at me. My wife would never own a car that costs the kind of money we are talking about for cars, just not going to happen. She will drive this xB until it falls apart and that will be fine by her and I am not looking to change that. I on the other hand have a thing for nice cars, Its my vice. If I get it I want it with the biggest engine it came with.

Spidercat
April 10th, 2009, 21:38
Holy Smokes!
Just got off the phone with Fidelity warranty company. Looks like I may be getting a large chunk of change back from the dealer!:jlol:
I had been told by the Audi SA that the "aftermarket warranty company" would only pay $115/hr (Audi charges $145/hr---I've been paying the difference), and that Fidelity would only reimburse up to MSRP for parts (Audi here charges MSRP++++ for parts due to extra shipping, overhead, etc---and I've been paying the difference.
The Fidelity guy explained the whole warranty and the agreement that they have with my dealer. My dealer is supposed to accept $115/hr and MSRP for parts, and NOT charge me the difference. He said that they are the contractor for Audi's (and other VAG) warranty extension (although not part of Audi), and the dealer should know that they are not just "some aftermarket warranty."
He will be contacting the district manager to clear all this up and get me reimbursed. Hmmmm, let's see, DRC x 2, TC x 1, assorted odds & ends, carry the 1... Yeah, that's a lot.
Also, he said they'd be happy to pay for the fuel pump. Just send him something, anything, from Audi stating this is a required part for the leaky tank fix.
Hopefully, I'll be Mr. Happy by next week and will be singing the praises of Fidelity warranty forevermore if this pans out!!!:applause:

Man, why do I love this car so much? It's so bad for me!:mech:
No, I know why.:bow::burnout:

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 11th, 2009, 01:50
SPIDERCAT,
Glad it all worked out. Now with the refund coming start a nest egg for maintenance ie. brakes and timing belt:doh:

Spidercat
April 11th, 2009, 02:19
Not so fast, Kimosabe.
It was a huge fiasco returning the stupid rental car. Well, I finally got to the dealer intact.
The fuel pump didn't fit (the plastic retaining ring inside the tank doesn't fit the new tank, despite the part numbers being exactly the same). He said that the plastic ring is integral to the pump and isn't a separate part. Maybe it swelled over time after being submerged in fuel so long?
Shoot!
OK, well, just use the new fuel pump then, I guess. Fidelity said they'd pay for it if you can give them something in writing or, have their inspector sign off on it.

Yeahhhhh. About the fuel pump. It ...ah...never got here. (start slowly counting to ten). For "some reason," it wasn't ordered overnight like the other parts, we really don't know who's at fault...
It'll probably be here by Monday.

I had no words.

They did give my an '09 A8 loaner, though, which kept me from completely melting down. I kinda knew what was going on (somebody messed up and here's your cookie). The A8's nice, but still it's no RS6. Also, it's huge! I give them credit for trying to make it right, but what goat rope! Now I've got to figure out what to do with work next week and finding time to go against traffic to pick up my car, blah, blah.
Also, they said that Fidelity's understanding of the contract is incorrect, and I won't be getting anything back from Audi.
Right now I'm just going to wait until next week. Why all this drama over a car??!!! This whole Audi/RS6 thing is turning into the proverbial "psycho ex-girlfriend" Dynamite in bed, but at what cost to my sanity?!

DHall1
April 11th, 2009, 06:16
John,

We got the DIY price on the brakes literally down to a nice dinner nite out. Dont take your car in for any brake work. It will cost you 10 times as much.

Timing Belt...still working on that project.

SPIDERCAT,
Glad it all worked out. Now with the refund coming start a nest egg for maintenance ie. brakes and timing belt:doh:

V8weight
April 11th, 2009, 13:46
John,

We got the DIY price on the brakes literally down to a nice dinner nite out. Dont take your car in for any brake work. It will cost you 10 times as much.

Timing Belt...still working on that project.
I've purchased the required tools to replace the timing belt, But I'm only at 61k right now. Maybe we should set up a "borrow Pat's timing belt tools for the nominal price of a 12 pack" sticky. I'll write up a good DIY with lots of pictures when I do mine, unfortunately, it probably won't be until next summer.

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 11th, 2009, 15:40
Dave,
Just had my brakes redone, Cost me about $400.00. Bought the pads where you did,but a week later so no longer on Presidents Day sale. Rotors turned for $35 ea. Paid my mechanic a couple of bucks to do the work.
Having weekend free to be with my kids...Priceless.:R8kiss:

DHall1
April 11th, 2009, 17:32
Well good. That works too.

Everyone-dont let the dealer do your brakes. Thats what I was getting to above

Dave,
Just had my brakes redone, Cost me about $400.00. Bought the pads where you did,but a week later so no longer on Presidents Day sale. Rotors turned for $35 ea. Paid my mechanic a couple of bucks to do the work.
Having weekend free to be with my kids...Priceless.:R8kiss:

DHall1
April 11th, 2009, 17:36
Yes,

I may hit you up this summer for the tool rental program. Can you post up some pics of the tools and where to get them?

I like the idea to gather a nice collection of DIY procedures for the common needs of the car. Ie my brake threads that save literally over 1k from dealer prices.

I am up for it.

Dave

I've purchased the required tools to replace the timing belt, But I'm only at 61k right now. Maybe we should set up a "borrow Pat's timing belt tools for the nominal price of a 12 pack" sticky. I'll write up a good DIY with lots of pictures when I do mine, unfortunately, it probably won't be until next summer.

Spidercat
April 16th, 2009, 19:51
WoooHooo!!!
Got the Beast back yesterday and all is again right with the world! Never realize how much I miss that car until it's gone. :addict:

Audi sprung for the fuel pump, and everything was free (so far)! I will know in the next couple days regarding Fidelity vs. Local Audi Dealer.

You guys that have Fidelity, do you ever have to pay anything out of pocket?

STaley
April 17th, 2009, 01:05
WoooHooo!!!
Got the Beast back yesterday and all is again right with the world! Never realize how much I miss that car until it's gone. :addict:

Audi sprung for the fuel pump, and everything was free (so far)! I will know in the next couple days regarding Fidelity vs. Local Audi Dealer.

You guys that have Fidelity, do you ever have to pay anything out of pocket?

Sweet! I love my Fidelity warranty. They actually pay me to work on the car. Just this week I called them and they approved replacing the EVAP purge valve, The hot climate radiator coolant solenoid, and my HVAC control head because of a mechanical failure of the pass side temp (-) button.

$1700ish! The parts only cost me approx $700.00
There is nothing like making $1000 in a day!
GO FIDELITY!!

Spidercat
April 17th, 2009, 02:12
No, I guess you can't beat that! I didn't even know that was an option!

By extension, I guess we don't have to be beholden to the Audi dealer to perform the warranty services, either? If we can find a trustworthy tuning shop to do the same work, we can just let them perform the work? :mech:
Especially if the tuning shop doesn't have an hourly rate that's out the wazoo!

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 17th, 2009, 17:16
Hi Greg,
Don't know your email or how to PM.
We still on for Portillo"s Sunday at about 4:00?
Any other Audiphiles want to meet by Knotts?
email me at AUDI_5000CSTQ@YAHOO.COM

vangelis
October 24th, 2009, 20:28
Guys, is there any way to solve this crack without replacing the whole tank with brand new one? is there any glue or way can fix it?

Spidercat
October 25th, 2009, 03:19
You can try an industrial strength marine epoxy. Still no guarantees, though.

vangelis
October 25th, 2009, 11:17
thanks a lot, it deserve the try, new tank is veryyy expensive, hope it will work.

p3u
October 25th, 2009, 18:42
Is this damage to the tank accessible through removing the rear seat? I'm will to try the repair as well if it is. I hate the smell of gas in my car

vangelis
October 25th, 2009, 18:52
Is this damage to the tank accessible through removing the rear seat? I'm will to try the repair as well if it is. I hate the smell of gas in my car

No, I have drips coming from the fuel tank and its very dangerous, very close to the exahust, I put it at MTM today as the labour cheaper than dealer and they are very familier also with this problem, they took the tank off after putting down all the rear end differential and exhaust, the leak coming from one of the tank breather cracked, they did it with super glow epoxy and it should be fine, tomorrow will see if its still leak or not. That happend after the dealer replaced the seal at the part you talking about under the rear seat, there is a cover can be removed to have access to the tank, they found leak in it and they replaced the tank seal with new one, but after full tank, it drips again. :vgrumpy:

p3u
October 25th, 2009, 20:48
No, I have drips coming from the fuel tank and its very dangerous, very close to the exahust, I put it at MTM today as the labour cheaper than dealer and they are very familier also with this problem, they took the tank off after putting down all the rear end differential and exhaust, the leak coming from one of the tank breather cracked, they did it with super glow epoxy and it should be fine, tomorrow will see if its still leak or not. That happend after the dealer replaced the seal at the part you talking about under the rear seat, there is a cover can be removed to have access to the tank, they found leak in it and they replaced the tank seal with new one, but after full tank, it drips again. :vgrumpy:

Could you or anyone post a picture of this seal that fails? I'd like to see this for myself.

AUDI5000CSTQ
October 26th, 2009, 01:19
This is the $2500.00 polypropeleen (sp) joint.
Search for gas tank leak, in CA its covered.

vangelis
October 26th, 2009, 03:53
remove this black cover and u will find the tank under it, there is another cover at the left side, both have round seals in the tank. I replaced the right side one.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8704&d=1256519801

hahnmgh63
October 26th, 2009, 04:34
From the manual it looks like if you live in CA the fuel tank is warrantied for 7 years or 70K. The other 49 states don't get this warranty. Everyone in the U.S. at least gets the Cats and the ECU for 8 years or 80K according to the manual. We all need to keep this in mind if anyone is having problems with these.

vangelis
October 26th, 2009, 12:03
Where did you find these information please? I never found such info anywhere in any manual!!!

V8weight
October 26th, 2009, 13:29
From the manual it looks like if you live in CA the fuel tank is warrantied for 7 years or 70K. The other 49 states don't get this warranty. Everyone in the U.S. at least gets the Cats and the ECU for 8 years or 80K according to the manual. We all need to keep this in mind if anyone is having problems with these.
I just had both of my downpipes replaced under the above 8 year warranty.

portos
October 26th, 2009, 16:45
remove this black cover and u will find the tank under it, there is another cover at the left side, both have round seals in the tank. I replaced the right side one.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8704&d=1256519801

Is that hole, that is showing the leaking connections self drilled one? It looks like it. I did not find a hole like that in mine...

Does the tank look like this when removed from the car? This is a tank for a normal C5 A6. If so, is that thing on the left side, where the hoses connect to, the one that leaks?

http://image.fbt.se/global/images/image.php?src=/mnt/newftp/44/bil/lgnr/161853_1.jpg

vangelis
October 26th, 2009, 18:27
Yes, you won't find this hole , its self drilled one, but yes this is where most of the tanks leaks. Thanks god it got my tank fixed with epoxy today as it was not serious crack and was small one can be done by epoxy ,thanks GOD.

This tank is not the same above, our RS6 tank is much more bigger, I have seen it today. Almost look like this.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerofile/7018/FuelTank.jpg

AUDI5000CSTQ
October 28th, 2009, 03:54
Vangelis, Glad my photos were helpfull to you and others.
But if you also looked at the closeup one you would notice the epoxy repair was tried and notice it was wet. It doesen't work. Epoxy only works to reinforce a non fractured connection. Hope this helps.:mech:

portos
October 28th, 2009, 11:49
Vangelis, Glad my photos were helpfull to you and others.
But if you also looked at the closeup one you would notice the epoxy repair was tried and notice it was wet. It doesen't work. Epoxy only works to reinforce a non fractured connection. Hope this helps.:mech:

You mean that the gasoline will eat out the epoxy if applied on the fractured connection? Or is it something else?

vangelis
October 28th, 2009, 11:58
I heard that also, epoxy does not resist the gasoline, but mine was not broken ,, it was a minor crack so we pushed it back to original place and applied the epoxy from outside, so gasoline actually does not touch the epoxy. I hope so!!!!

I can't see the photo I posted above for the tank, so I attached it here again.

AUDI5000CSTQ
October 28th, 2009, 13:35
It's not that the gas eats the epoxy, its just that epoxy will not stick to polypropylene, and the gas seeps out.
The recall for the Allroad and A6 had the epoxy reinforce a non cracked/split nub.
If there was leaking the tank had to be replaced.

portos
October 28th, 2009, 14:39
It's not that the gas eats the epoxy, its just that epoxy will not stick to polypropylene, and the gas seeps out.
The recall for the Allroad and A6 had the epoxy reinforce a non cracked/split nub.
If there was leaking the tank had to be replaced.

One more question, if I may, since you seem to know quite a lot about this...

The part that is leaking (the roll-over valve?) - is it an integrated part of the tank - or is it something that car be screwed off the tank if need be.

My next thought was directly to take out the leaky part and have a similar part made and fit that into the car. Thus solving the problem without replacing the tank (or the fuel pump).

AUDI5000CSTQ
October 28th, 2009, 16:40
You are right. It is the roll-over valve. the nib is extruded as one piece. I take it you never tried to repair you coolant expansion tank? becomes brittle and just cracks more at the most inappropriate time. But go ahead and try. I would experiment on an old Audi 100 expansion tank first. Good luck.
Current Audi count-4, owned 3 others.

portos
October 29th, 2009, 15:38
You are right. It is the roll-over valve. the nib is extruded as one piece. I take it you never tried to repair you coolant expansion tank? becomes brittle and just cracks more at the most inappropriate time. But go ahead and try. I would experiment on an old Audi 100 expansion tank first. Good luck.
Current Audi count-4, owned 3 others.

Now I don't understand, again. If the valve is one removable piece and it thus can be replaced, what does wear and tear of the plastic in it have to do with it. Since I do not believe for a second that the gastank itself could be the same kind of plastic as a coolant tank...

And a coolant tank is most of the time under pressure, which the gastank should not be...

AUDI5000CSTQ
October 29th, 2009, 18:49
Not sure what the coolent tank is made of but I think it's polypropelen. Your gas tank IS under pressure. The roll over valve is one piece with the fuel tank. Sorry about the bad news your options are replace the tank or keep it 3/4ths full.