PDA

View Full Version : sooooo... just got new drc put in..

peiserg
April 3rd, 2009, 23:50
and didn't make it out of the parking lot... the car was misfiring so severely it barely ran. i can't imagine the tech test drove the car at all.

just another notch in my belt i guess..

Stuck AC temp switch
Bad fuel sender
bad brake sensor
bad torque converter
DRC
bad wastegate solenoid
softtouch rubber peeling off of stereo, and all 4 interior door handles.
flapper gate in AC system malfunction
transmission pan oil leak

now who knows what.

I'm leaning towards not buying another audi.

car has 33000 miles.

btw i saw the audi cost for the drc repair was $2900 IDK if that includes labor.

Bigglezworth
April 4th, 2009, 06:17
Sorry to hear about your frustrations with the ride. IMO aside from the TC and the DRC, they are all relatively minor items. Every manufacturer has items that don't work. Perhaps you got a couple more than the next, perhaps less than the other. I have never owned a new car so I always expect to address items like those that you list as regular maintenance.

When you get your misfiring sorted out, update everyone with how the car rides!

peiserg
April 4th, 2009, 16:58
the wastegate solenoid was a 5 trip experience to the dealer, first replacing the boost sensor, n75 valve, reflashing to stock, then the torque converter (broke in the middle of the solenoid issue), then the solenoid. car was gutless 50% of the time, which made passing other cars a hair raising experience... since i never knew if i had 500hp or 200..

SAF
April 4th, 2009, 18:56
How long have you had this car?

Was the DRC install the new shocks and charging system (Ausi free replacement) or did they just put the old parts in to hold you over?

peiserg
April 5th, 2009, 02:01
all new shocks at $542 per shock, plus labor and i'm sure some seals and washers and other minor items.

if this car wasn't so goddamned fun to drive when it works i'd probable sell it.

yea i guess most of these are "minor' issues (ac switch, fuel sender, brake sensor, peeling interior) but damn it's irritating.. considering I've take my Acura NSX, added methanol injection, strapped on a supercharger etc, and it has had only one SINGLE mechanical issue... the clutch line started leaking after 7 years of hard, hard use.

Bigglezworth
April 5th, 2009, 03:12
all new shocks at $542 per shock, plus labor and i'm sure some seals and washers and other minor items.So, how does it drive now??

considering I've take my Acura NSX, added methanol injection, strapped on a supercharger etc, and it has had only one SINGLE mechanical issue... the clutch line started leaking after 7 years of hard, hard use.Well, we can't compare apples to oranges can we... :thumb: I too have had only ONE thing go wrong with my NSX and that was a siezed rear caliper. I have literally driven the snot out of the car on many track days, long trips, bomb runs, daily driving for groceries, through all types of weather except snow, and it purrs without skipping a beat. It is the epitome of success for many a reason.

peiserg
April 5th, 2009, 18:18
So, how does it drive now??

well.. read my first post more carefully, and you'll get your answer!:vgrumpy:

Bigglezworth
April 5th, 2009, 21:48
I did read it. My second post said when you get the misfiring sorted out, so I'm guessing you still haven't. :)

hahnmgh63
April 6th, 2009, 01:17
I've been real lucky I guess. I have 53K on my RS6, had it since 29K, DRC still works and nothing has failed on me yet. I had the 35K service done a couple of years ago on warranty and since then I've done my own. I've done the brakes, Diverter valves, had it Revo'd and MTM (TCU) chipped and that is about it. My rear shocks do show a touch of oil wetness so it probably won't be long until my DRC fails. I do have a new set of KW V3's (purchased 5 months ago) and Hotchkis in the shop that I'll probably start on in the next couple of months. I was going to let Audi do my DRC but now I'm leaning on going just straight to the KW's. My only worry on the car is the transmission going.

peiserg
April 8th, 2009, 03:42
Ok.. as an update..

car ran like hell after drc put in with updated parts. the CEL lit up for random misfire 8th cylinder. they couldn't get it to repeat after having it for 3 days, so gave it back to me. I pushed it as hard as i could (rush hour made it difficult), and seems to be same old beasty again.

bad gas or coil back starting to go was their guess..

anyhoo. this is about the new drc isnt it?

Well, my OLD drc worked fine. As does the new one. so no worries, though it feels as if the car is a little bit more firm.. maybe from elimination of 5 yo shocks?

gerry

SAF
April 8th, 2009, 14:59
Am I reading this right ...you paid for this shock install and the old DRC was fine? So this wasn't the "new DRC" retrofit?

Did they replace the central valves with that job?

peiserg
April 8th, 2009, 15:02
it was done under warranty. and I don't beleive the central valve was replaced. It was pressurized using whatever new tool audi supplied. If you read the post talking about price, it says "audi cost was about $2900 and IDK if that includes labor." THe cost, to audi, for each shock, was $542 plus some washers and labor

SAF
April 8th, 2009, 17:09
"...my OLD drc worked fine."

I'm just curious why/how this was done under warranty if, as you state, there wasn't a problem with the old system?
If the work was done as part of the recent DRC "recall" (that Audi is paying for), the central valves should have been replaced at the same time. They have a pressure connection that allows for future pressurization with an assortment of NEW failsafe fluid pumps.

I would be suspect of getting a full recharge using new shocks and the old valves with that "new tool" you mention. There have been quite a few dealerships that have tried to recharge the old setup over the last year or so, with short term shock failure usually being the outcome. Just an FYI if you weren't fully up to speed.

peiserg
April 8th, 2009, 18:21
ill need to look at service bulletin again. if it states central valve replacement i'll call them back.

Benman
April 8th, 2009, 19:05
considering I've take my Acura NSX, added methanol injection, strapped on a supercharger etc, and it has had only one SINGLE mechanical issue... the clutch line started leaking after 7 years of hard, hard use.

Apples to oranges? I think not, both are high end, high performance cars designed to be driven and ejnjoyed. However, one was also engineered to actually stay on the road and out of the repair shop. Sadly, that is not the Audi.

"Every manufacturer has items that don't work."

Not Honda. ;)

Sadly, even being among one of the lucky ones, my DRC is also shot, and this may possibly be my last Audi. Too many other reliable alternatives. I'll always love Audi, but I am not going out of my way to buy a high maintenance car.

Ben:addict:

SAF
April 8th, 2009, 20:42
ill need to look at service bulletin again. if it states central valve replacement i'll call them back.

Hmmm, never noticed this conflicting information before. The service notice sent to owners only says shocks are being replaced, but this states otherwise (in bold below):

Upcoming Service Action Campaign Announcement
Service Action 43A8/J4 - 2003 Audi RS6
Dynamic Ride Control (DRC) Suspension Service

This is to inform you that Audi will be notifying customers of a Service Action later this summer that requires the installation of improved shocks to 2003 RS6 vehicles.

What is the problem?
The affected vehicles may have shock leaks in the Dynamic Ride Control suspension.

What does the repair involve, and when will the repair be available?
Audi will install improved shocks on the affected vehicles. Unfortunately, the necessary parts stock to complete this repair will not be available until August. Once the necessary parts are available in the market, we will send a second notification that the Service Action is now available and can be completed.

Parts Allocation Information
Once the parts are available in August, you will receive an initial allocation of parts for this campaign prior to the initiation of this Service Action.

Interim Repair Instructions
In the event of a customer complaint on the DRC suspension system prior to the initiation of this Service Action, please create a ticket with the Technical Assistance Center (TAC) for further instructions.

Any customers with questions unable to be answered by this announcement should be directed to Audi Customer CARE at 1-800-253-2834.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Frequently Asked Questions for Upcoming Service Action 43A8/J4

This FAQ provides supplementary information on the 43A8/J4 Service Action. For additional information, please refer to the upcoming 43A8/J4 dealer letter that will be posted on Service Net in February 2009.

What vehicles are affected?
The following summarizes the affected vehicles for the United States and Canada:

United States - Model year 2003 Audi RS6 vehicles
Canada - Model year 2004 Audi RS6 vehicles

How many vehicles are affected?

* 1,437 vehicles are affected in the United States
* 90 vehicles are affected in Canada

What is the problem and what can happen?
The affected vehicles may have shock leaks in the Dynamic Ride Control suspension.

Can I drive the vehicle until it is repaired?
Yes, the vehicle can still be driven as usual.

What exactly will be repaired on the vehicle?
Audi will install improved shocks on the affected vehicles.

What was redesigned in the DRC system?
The shock absorbers received a redesigned seal package and shaft guide bushings.

Will the Central Valves be replaced during the repair?
As a first step, the central valves will be replaced as part of the repair process. Going forward, Audi will use a newly designed special tool to recharge the existing central valves, which will increase the repair efficiency. Once this special tool is available to the Dealers, the replacement of central valves will not be necessary.

What if the vehicle has been modified from original factory intent? (i.e., aftermarket suspension)
If post-sale modifications to the vehicle prevent dealer technicians from conducting repair work under this Service Action, the vehicle may require additional work to bring it back to factory specifications. Any such additional work will be at the customer's expense. Please see Campaign Quick Reference Guide on page 23 for further details.

Is a loaner vehicle being offered under this Service Action?
No, a loaner vehicle is not offered under this Service Action.

When will this repair be available?
This is a pre-announcement notice for this Service Action. PLEASE NOTE: repair parts will not be available until August 2009. Once the necessary parts are available, we will notify you that the Service Action is now available and can be completed.

What if a customer has an issue with the Dynamic Ride Control (DRC) now?
In the event of a customer complaint on the DRC suspension system prior to the initiation of this Service Action; please create a ticket with the Technical Assistance Center (TAC) for further instructions. The interim claiming instructions will be added to the FAQs sometime next week.

Can only RS6 authorized dealers perform this repair?
No, all authorized Audi dealers can perform this repair.

DHall1
April 8th, 2009, 22:10
I also made not of that section.

I read it to say this...

Audi will replace the central valves the first time. Why? Because there is a chance that the central valves were or have been damaged by running the system low on pressure.

Again, that is my feeling on the subject. Dont shoot the messinger.

I would want the central valves replaced the 1st time.

Hmmm, never noticed this conflicting information before. The service notice sent to owners only says shocks are being replaced, but this states otherwise (in bold below):

Upcoming Service Action Campaign Announcement
Service Action 43A8/J4 - 2003 Audi RS6
Dynamic Ride Control (DRC) Suspension Service

This is to inform you that Audi will be notifying customers of a Service Action later this summer that requires the installation of improved shocks to 2003 RS6 vehicles.

What is the problem?

What does the repair involve, and when will the repair be available?
Audi will install improved shocks on the affected vehicles. Unfortunately, the necessary parts stock to complete this repair will not be available until August. Once the necessary parts are available in the market, we will send a second notification that the Service Action is now available and can be completed.

Parts Allocation Information
Once the parts are available in August, you will receive an initial allocation of parts for this campaign prior to the initiation of this Service Action.

Interim Repair Instructions
In the event of a customer complaint on the DRC suspension system prior to the initiation of this Service Action, please create a ticket with the Technical Assistance Center (TAC) for further instructions.

Any customers with questions unable to be answered by this announcement should be directed to Audi Customer CARE at 1-800-253-2834.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Frequently Asked Questions for Upcoming Service Action 43A8/J4

This FAQ provides supplementary information on the 43A8/J4 Service Action. For additional information, please refer to the upcoming 43A8/J4 dealer letter that will be posted on Service Net in February 2009.

What vehicles are affected?
The following summarizes the affected vehicles for the United States and Canada:

United States - Model year 2003 Audi RS6 vehicles
Canada - Model year 2004 Audi RS6 vehicles

How many vehicles are affected?

* 1,437 vehicles are affected in the United States
* 90 vehicles are affected in Canada

What is the problem and what can happen?

Can I drive the vehicle until it is repaired?
Yes, the vehicle can still be driven as usual.

What exactly will be repaired on the vehicle?
Audi will install improved shocks on the affected vehicles.

What was redesigned in the DRC system?
The shock absorbers received a redesigned seal package and shaft guide bushings.

Will the Central Valves be replaced during the repair?
As a first step, the central valves will be replaced as part of the repair process. Going forward, Audi will use a newly designed special tool to recharge the existing central valves, which will increase the repair efficiency. Once this special tool is available to the Dealers, the replacement of central valves will not be necessary.

What if the vehicle has been modified from original factory intent? (i.e., aftermarket suspension)
If post-sale modifications to the vehicle prevent dealer technicians from conducting repair work under this Service Action, the vehicle may require additional work to bring it back to factory specifications. Any such additional work will be at the customer's expense. Please see Campaign Quick Reference Guide on page 23 for further details.

Is a loaner vehicle being offered under this Service Action?
No, a loaner vehicle is not offered under this Service Action.

When will this repair be available?
This is a pre-announcement notice for this Service Action. PLEASE NOTE: repair parts will not be available until August 2009. Once the necessary parts are available, we will notify you that the Service Action is now available and can be completed.

What if a customer has an issue with the Dynamic Ride Control (DRC) now?
In the event of a customer complaint on the DRC suspension system prior to the initiation of this Service Action; please create a ticket with the Technical Assistance Center (TAC) for further instructions. The interim claiming instructions will be added to the FAQs sometime next week.

Can only RS6 authorized dealers perform this repair?
No, all authorized Audi dealers can perform this repair.

V8weight
April 8th, 2009, 22:25
[quote=I would want the central valves replaced the 1st time.[/quote]
You mean the last time:lovl: