PDA

View Full Version : Dsg Rs6

gnomik007
August 13th, 2003, 13:37
Hi everyone.Don't u people think that DSG gearbox would bring so much fun into :addict: driving.I bring it up because lately i keep hearing different rumors about audi making the car with the new box later on the year as an alternative to the standard tiptronic one.PLEASE AUDI MAKE IT:bow: .The present transmission is probably a good auto and allows you to cruise with no problems,but stops you if you want to take your fun one stage further.Most people who have the car that I spoke to agree with this and it was brought up in the beginning of the forum.

This I idea doesn't leave my head :confused: and I await for more news:roll:

Erik
August 13th, 2003, 13:56
I tried the M3 SMG (a lot!) this week and it's brilliant.
I understand the DSG is pretty much the same thing, if not even better. However it can't andle the power yet - but the Bugatti Veyron will have something similar so good things will probably come to thos who wait.
The M5 E60 will probably be out with manual or SMG as well so it's needed.

MichaelJP
August 13th, 2003, 14:48
I haven't tried a DSG transmission yet, though I have had good reports. I'm due a test drive next week in the TT 3.2 so it should be interesting.

I came to the RS6 from an M3 SMG, and I couldn't recommend that particular box. Although it was good at full power upshifts and high rev downshifts, I had two main issues:-

1) Horribly clunky and slow when cold, and at low revs in city driving. Passengers would think you were a learner.

2) The "blip" rev-matching only worked properly when the destination gear resulted in high revs i.e. above 4-5K RPM.

I do like torque-converter autoboxes though, but only when fitted to a big torquey engine like the RS6's.

- Michael

gnomik007
August 13th, 2003, 15:48
I agree that BMW SMG is brilliant,although has some negative sides to it.I have read that Audi's DSG shifts 4 times faster than SMG II,which i think means that it shifts F__king quick:flamed:
Of course one has to remember that SMG III is on its way,but I hope DSG will kick ass:incar:

Erik
August 13th, 2003, 16:20
Porsche will do something similar to the DSG.

Let me guess. M5 E60 will be released with SMG III (and manual).

MichaelJP
August 13th, 2003, 17:45
Originally posted by Erik
M5 E60 will be released with SMG III (and manual).

I hope SMG III uses an advanced twin-clutch system like DSG, and not the current arrangement of simply bolting a hydraulic actuator on top of the recalcitrant old Getrag 6-speeder:)

- Michael

Finnus
August 13th, 2003, 18:39
I'm due a test drive next week in the TT 3.2 so it should be interesting.

Has anyone noticed that the TT 3.2 w/ 250 hp and the much lauded new gearbox has a 0-60 time of only 6.4 seconds. That's essentially the same as my 2001 250 hp S4 tiptronic (advertised at 6.5 seconds). I would expect the TT to be lighter and faster, especially with the the new DSG .02 second full power shifts.

I would expect more of the new TT.

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

eph94
August 13th, 2003, 19:54
Originally posted by MichaelJP
I haven't tried a DSG transmission yet, though I have had good reports. I'm due a test drive next week in the TT 3.2 so it should be interesting.

Please report your impressions here (or maybe more appropriately on the TT board)! I am very curious to see what your thoughts out. We are contemplating a TT-R 3.2 DSG as a third car after we get the RS6; however, nothing will be arriving at our dealership until the Fall time frame.

roadrunner
August 13th, 2003, 21:45
Originally posted by Erik
...the Bugatti Veyron will have something similar so good things will probably come to thos who wait...

To my knowledge the Lamborghini Gallardo will be offered with DSG of some sort aswell (as an option). :incar:

seb.