PDA

View Full Version : New and ready to buy! Some questions…

DonS
April 2nd, 2009, 18:10
So the old car has lost is luster and its time to look for something more impressive. When I looked back at my previous searches, I noticed the Audi RS6 and my brain immediately got jacked up. A quick search and I found some real beauties. I missed on “rs6 ltwt”s Avus beauty as I had just returned from vacation and was a day late – bummer. So the quest is continuing!<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Does anyone know this car? http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=306379910 (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=306379910)<O:p</O:p

Better viewed at this site, but you must search for it: http://www.remauto.com/ (http://www.remauto.com/)<O:p</O:p

Using your advice, I checked CarFax, the build sheet and service history. CarFax shows it’s a one owner lease for 4 years and then languished on Diablo Audi’s lot for many months (during the $4 gas last summer) and then was moved at auction. It recently passed CA emissions! The build sheet shows the sound enhancing exhaust and navigation (old style appears in the photos). My local Audi dealer looked at the service history and feels the car should be good based on regular maintenance and 35k work completed (timing belt – yes!).<O:p</O:p

As I don’t know anyone in <ST1:place w:st="on">Southern Cal</ST1:place>, I scheduled and appointment for the car on Saturday for a dealer inspection at Keyes Audi only 3 miles away. I still have my qualms about buying a car I researched and never laid eyes on, but I told him it was sold pending Keyes’ inspection and he should determine a deposit and start the paperwork. If anyone in the area can give this car a test for me, I’d greatly appreciate it and would reimburse you for your time.<O:p</O:p

Okay, here come the questions:<O:p</O:p

Local Audi dealer (revered Zimbrick Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW…) has a warranty from Genuine that mirrors the Audi factory warranty with unlimited miles sold in 2, 3, 4 or 5 year increments. They require an inspection (I should clear the codes so there are no preexisting conditions). Does anyone have experience with Genuine's or should I push for the Fidelity? Do I need to go through a dealer for best pricing? Any thoughts on having Keyes apply the warranty after their inspection and have my local Zimbrick Audi service the car (assuming warranty is not site dependent)?<O:p</O:p

What is a good scan tool for reading codes? I have a NemiSys SPX that has always been a solid tool.

Should I call Audi and update them of new ownership so I am on the list for future letters like the DRC letter? Maybe all one needs to do is stay up to date with you guys and bring the car in to Audi when necessary.<O:p</O:p

I guess I’ve rambled on enough. Thanks for your input.<O:p</O:p

allwheelsdriven
April 2nd, 2009, 18:18
My impression is that that car is the best miles/cost deal around now...if that is your concern

DonS
April 2nd, 2009, 18:24
I agree, but there's usually a catch so I'm doing my due diligence.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

DHall1
April 2nd, 2009, 18:30
Glad you posted over here. See some of the recent threads on pricing.

That is the Diablo car. Hmmmm, it was priced at 46k for over a year.

If that is the same car....I would venture to say its very nice indeed. We have a few members close if they are in town.

I would say buy it and get some money down. Having a nice clean CA car in the middle of the salt belt is priceless! Put down a deposit pending inspection.

Dave

So the old car has lost is luster and its time to look for something more impressive. When I looked back at my previous searches, I noticed the Audi RS6 and my brain immediately got jacked up. A quick search and I found some real beauties. I missed on “rs6 ltwt”s Avus beauty as I had just returned from vacation and was a day late – bummer. So the quest is continuing!<O:p</O:p

Does anyone know this car? http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=306379910 (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=306379910)<O:p</O:p

Better viewed at this site, but you must search for it: http://www.remauto.com/ (http://www.remauto.com/)<O:p</O:p

Using your advice, I checked CarFax, the build sheet and service history. CarFax shows it’s a one owner lease for 4 years and then languished on Diablo Audi’s lot for many months (during the $4 gas last summer) and then was moved at auction. It recently passed CA emissions! The build sheet shows the sound enhancing exhaust and navigation (old style appears in the photos). My local Audi dealer looked at the service history and feels the car should be good based on regular maintenance and 35k work completed (timing belt – yes!).<O:p</O:p

As I don’t know anyone in <ST1:place w:st="on">Southern Cal</ST1:place>, I scheduled and appointment for the car on Saturday for a dealer inspection at Keyes Audi only 3 miles away. I still have my qualms about buying a car I researched and never laid eyes on, but I told him it was sold pending Keyes’ inspection and he should determine a deposit and start the paperwork. If anyone in the area can give this car a test for me, I’d greatly appreciate it and would reimburse you for your time.<O:p</O:p

Okay, here come the questions:<O:p</O:p

Local Audi dealer (revered Zimbrick Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW…) has a warranty from Genuine that mirrors the Audi factory warranty with unlimited miles sold in 2, 3, 4 or 5 year increments. They require an inspection (I should clear the codes so there are no preexisting conditions). Does anyone have experience with Genuine's or should I push for the Fidelity? Do I need to go through a dealer for best pricing? Any thoughts on having Keyes apply the warranty after their inspection and have my local Zimbrick Audi service the car (assuming warranty is not site dependent)?<O:p</O:p

What is a good scan tool for reading codes? I have a NemiSys SPX that has always been a solid tool.

Should I call Audi and update them of new ownership so I am on the list for future letters like the DRC letter? Maybe all one needs to do is stay up to date with you guys and bring the car in to Audi when necessary.<O:p</O:p

I guess I’ve rambled on enough. Thanks for your input.<O:p</O:p

Yellow RS6
April 2nd, 2009, 18:33
If the inspection is clear, that's a great price with that mileage.

ben916
April 2nd, 2009, 18:34
I was asking DWD about this car last week or at least if anyone knew anything about it.

In the listing it lists CERAMIC BRAKES which some commented upon.

This car was on Craigslist for a week and then off. Possibly desperate to move it...

DHall1
April 2nd, 2009, 18:37
I think the CL ad expired.

Here it is in autotrader.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=260149474&dealer_id=1369098&car_year=2003&rdm=1238693793899&model=RS6&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=AUDI&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=85222&advanced=&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=396&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

I was asking DWD about this car last week or at least if anyone knew anything about it.

In the listing it lists CERAMIC BRAKES which some commented upon.

This car was on Craigslist for a week and then off. Possibly desperate to move it...

DHall1
April 2nd, 2009, 18:39
I understand the caution.

This was a front line Audi Certified car. They would not budge on price and thus they sat on it.

Not many of these left with low miles.

I would put money down on this car pending inspection before it gets snapped up. And you just let the cat out of the bag by posting the history on this car. Its not your typical auction car sitting on a dead beat car lot. You better move on this as there are several serious buyers looking for such a car.

IMHO

Dave
03Avus/Bla/Carbon

I agree, but there's usually a catch so I'm doing my due diligence.<O:p></O:p>

ben916
April 2nd, 2009, 18:49
I'm all over it....

DonS
April 2nd, 2009, 19:57
Hopefully my verbal commitment on this car holds with the seller. I've been in regular contact with him even though he is on vacation out of town...

I feel really good about the car after learning from DHall1 that is was sufficinet quality to be listed as a certified car. Sadly, it can't be re-certified.

DHall1
April 2nd, 2009, 20:25
Cash is king. Put a deposit down with a credit card. That car is gone if someone calls with money to be put down.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18140

Look, the sharks are already forming a line to this car. You better put money down if its what your looking for.

Yes, the car was Certified but priced too high. They had it last summer/fall when I was looking for mine. Your better off with a Fidelity or some other ext warranty than CPO but knowing it was CPO gives is some value.

Good luck,
Dave

Hopefully my verbal commitment on this car holds with the seller. I've been in regular contact with him even though he is on vacation out of town...

I feel really good about the car after learning from DHall1 that is was sufficinet quality to be listed as a certified car. Sadly, it can't be re-certified.

DHall1
April 3rd, 2009, 18:19
Don,

What happened here? Did you buy the car?

DonS
April 3rd, 2009, 19:13
I just got off the phone with the seller and I have a verbal purchase offer on the car - the seller is out of town and didn't have time to accept my deposit. The seller will be back in town tomorrow just in time to drop the RS6 at Keyes Audi for a dealer inspection. We'll wrap it up while he waits!

Keyes is quoting me a Fidelity warranty.

I'm really getting jazzed! I'll post our progress and photos of the car coming off the transporter back in Wisconsin!

DHall1
April 3rd, 2009, 19:40
You got the steal of the year. Congrats.

If you need any comparisons on Fidelity prices after your quote from Keyes...LMK.

At 38k....you should see prices fairly low.

4/48 Gold Plus ~ 3500-4k

Gold Plus or Platinum are the policies that you need.

I remember the days we lived in the midwest. Salt was a killer and having the chance to buy any So Cal vehicle was like finding a pot of gold. At least for car guys that want something like this.... See the So Cal chassis pictures from my RS6 below. I could also never afford to have so many hobby cars that could be parked in the salt winters. That is not a problem in AZ. Just starting out with your RS never in salt has to be a big plus for you.

I just got off the phone with the seller and I have a verbal purchase offer on the car - the seller is out of town and didn't have time to accept my deposit. The seller will be back in town tomorrow just in time to drop the RS6 at Keyes Audi for a dealer inspection. We'll wrap it up while he waits!

Keyes is quoting me a Fidelity warranty.

I'm really getting jazzed! I'll post our progress and photos of the car coming off the transporter back in Wisconsin!

DonS
April 4th, 2009, 00:06
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? :bigeyes: Those can't be photos of a 2003 RS6! :bigeyes: Your car is pristine! :bigeyes: One winter season in our snirt (snow\dirt) and all those labels would be scoured off and a light layer of rust would start to form. Heck, I pay more for labor to repair torqued-off rusted nuts\bolts than the repair itself. You guys have probably never had to use and Easy-Out. Now I am really jazzed to see this RS6 in my garage. I'd better keep the Jag for a winter beater.

DHall1
April 4th, 2009, 07:30
Thanks,

Yep, 03RS with 29k miles. Like I said....my knuckles were cut on midwest winters and salt for far too many years. Just happy we moved west and out of the cold and salt so I could keep my good cars on the road all year.

Your getting a car that you can clean the undercarriage and reveal the shine down under.

Enjoy

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? :bigeyes: Those can't be photos of a 2003 RS6! :bigeyes: Your car is pristine! :bigeyes: One winter season in our snirt (snow\dirt) and all those labels would be scoured off and a light layer of rust would start to form. Heck, I pay more for labor to repair torqued-off rusted nuts\bolts than the repair itself. You guys have probably never had to use and Easy-Out. Now I am really jazzed to see this RS6 in my garage. I'd better keep the Jag for a winter beater.

DonS
April 6th, 2009, 00:54
The dealer inspection passed - only needs tires. They did notice some paint work around the rear bumper area, but no accidents appear on the CarFax report. I assume the damage was small enough that it didn't involve the police. The dealer said the damage wouldn't stop him from personally buying it or from the dealer putting it on their lot. Also, a buddy of mine stopped by and gave it a thumbs-up as well. Thus, I bought it after further price negotiations. We'll be swapping paperwork and scheduling a transport trip this week. I'm hoping to see the car in my driveway within 14 days - any longer and I'll go crazy!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Next up is some haggling with my local Audi dealer as his Genuine brand warranty prices are outrageous compared to the Fidelity coverage offered by Keyes Audi (more volume maybe?). Both are accepted at our local Audi dealer.
<o:p></o:p>
Thanks to everyone for all the input! You gave me the confidence to pull the trigger.

DonS
April 19th, 2009, 00:24
The RS6 arrived today! I washed and fueled it and took it for a drive. WOW! Massive power. Sluggish turn in. Nicely firm ride. Great exhaust note. Major tire rumble (tires are shot). Huge stopping power. Tons of features. What a fantastic car!!

The hand wash got me intimate with the car - only a stone chip on the windshield and a scratch on the front bumper.

Next up is searching for tires and floor mats.

Thanks again everyone!

snoopra
April 19th, 2009, 00:53
Swweeeet! Try TireRack for tires. What are you looking for in floor mats carpet or rubber?

DonS
April 19th, 2009, 00:57
I've been doing a search for OEM carpet ones, but no luck online. I guess the dealer is the answer... An RS6 logo is a necessity as is black to match the carpet. Any suggestions?

snoopra
April 19th, 2009, 01:29
RS 6 logo rugs are over rated. Didn't you get OEM rugs with the car? I bought a set of A6 rubber mats on ebay.de due to the dusty nature of the VI roads. I'm sure you can find some RS 6 logo rugs on ebay.de (german) for a reasonable price.

DonS
April 19th, 2009, 01:52
Nope, the OEMs are MIA. There's not much of a selection on ebay.de for "Audi RS6 Fußmatten."

mmaturo
April 19th, 2009, 03:29
Nope, the OEMs are MIA. There's not much of a selection on ebay.de for "Audi RS6 Fußmatten."

Dealers in US can't get them. They were available only through quattro gmbh. I have a set i imported through Europrice.us and TRUST ME skip them. 3 years ago they were $700 so who knows today but the quality is not there for the price. They are structured to fit the shape of the well but the tabs to lock them down are just a little off on the driver side so doesn't stay. I immediately wore a hole in the carpet from my heel...the ones that came with the car are better (last longer). The carpet is a cut pile and very easy to destroy, while the ones with your car are looped. I am extra pissed at mine as i wanted the silver leather banding but got ebony which is silly in my silver interior car and they do not stand out like they should. Today if i wanted it that bad i would take the OEM mats that came with the car and go to a shop that can do the embroidering off art work.

Some do show up on ebay gerrmany but i think there has been a crack down on non licensed products.

Spidercat
April 19th, 2009, 08:39
Look up this thread:
http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13253&highlight=floormats
I got my mats from Sabine and they've been holding up quite well, and for a reasonable price!

V8weight
April 19th, 2009, 16:27
I may be interested in selling you my OEM carpet mats. I switched to the Audi winter mats, and I don't see any reason to put the carpet mats back in. If it's not snowing here, than it's raining. My original mats are in mint condition, and they're just sitting in the trunk. Maybe I should keep them though for the eventual resale of the car?

DonS
April 20th, 2009, 16:31
mmuturo - I will stay away from the quattro gmbh models. Durability is a necessity!

V8weight - I am interested and will PM you, but I understand if you decide to keep them.

Spidercat - Thanks for the lead to Sabine. I sent an email...

Checked out Lloyds custom mats, I can get the A6 mats with custom lettering, but no RS6 or Audi logo. They must not have licensing. Their mats look pretty nice and would be a excellent $200 alternative.

I called the dealer and they sounded like a deadend.

mmaturo
April 20th, 2009, 17:32
mmuturo - I will stay away from the quattro gmbh models. Durability is a necessity!

V8weight - I am interested and will PM you, but I understand if you decide to keep them.

Spidercat - Thanks for the lead to Sabine. I sent an email...

Checked out Lloyds custom mats, I can get the A6 mats with custom lettering, but no RS6 or Audi logo. They must not have licensing. Their mats look pretty nice and would be a excellent $200 alternative.

I called the dealer and they sounded like a deadend.

If you get a response from Sabine if the cost of shipping is no different to send a couple of sets from Europe I might be interested in doing a joint purchase.

Since you are in madison I have a client up there that i may be able to drop by and grab them rather than you having to reship anything.

DonS
April 20th, 2009, 18:08
A group buy sounds smart once Sabine replies.

The dealer called with pricing: $229 for the fronts and 89 for the rears. He thinks they have the RS6 logo. I'll update later once I have had a chance to see what the parts guy was unable to explain on the phone.

mmaturo
April 20th, 2009, 18:16
A group buy sounds smart once Sabine replies.

The dealer called with pricing: $229 for the fronts and 89 for the rears. He thinks they have the RS6 logo. I'll update later once I have had a chance to see what the parts guy was unable to explain on the phone.

He's on crack...no logo on them I am 1000% sure for anything he can order. If there is though (and not just A6) order two again.

DonS
April 22nd, 2009, 20:08
...just off the phone with Andrew at AoA to register my newly acquired RS6 with them! He confirmed what mmaturo already knows and the dealer learned today via email - Audi no longer sells mats with the RS6 logo.

Hoping for a used set from a fellow RS6.com member or Sabine from the thread link above. Maybe a Lloyds set embroidered with 450HP, but it would be hard to edit after an ECU upgrade...

DHall1
April 22nd, 2009, 23:09
Did you get your car yet?

Pics!

...just off the phone with Andrew at AoA to register my newly acquired RS6 with them! He confirmed what mmaturo already knows and the dealer learned today via email - Audi no longer sells mats with the RS6 logo.

Hoping for a used set from a fellow RS6.com member or Sabine from the thread link above. Maybe a Lloyds set embroidered with 450HP, but it would be hard to edit after an ECU upgrade...

DuckWingDuck
April 22nd, 2009, 23:44
dave, you coming out for the angeles crest drive?

DHall1
April 23rd, 2009, 00:59
What are the dates?

I think the Julian is closer for me.

My car will be fixed very soon. The last strut is in route from Germany.

dave, you coming out for the angeles crest drive?

DuckWingDuck
April 23rd, 2009, 01:05
17 May. Not sure if I'm going to be able to make it myself. Probably try to put together something for Julian in late May/June.

DonS
April 23rd, 2009, 01:12
DHall1 - Yep she arrived and she's a beauty. Check out Line 18 of this forum back on Page 1 for photos fresh after a wash. Oddly I'm only averaging around 13MPG - I just can't keep my foot out of it. I almost did a U-turn to chase a Nissan GTR here in Madison... Like my RS6, probably the only one for many miles! Can you tell I'm a little excited!!

DHall1
April 23rd, 2009, 02:46
Don,

That is great news. I missed that last post on page 1 but noticed you talking about the floor mats. You have a great car and its never seen salt. Priceless!

:burnout:

Cheers,
Dave

DHall1 - Yep she arrived and she's a beauty. Check out Line 18 of this forum back on Page 1 for photos fresh after a wash. Oddly I'm only averaging around 13MPG - I just can't keep my foot out of it. I almost did a U-turn to chase a Nissan GTR here in Madison... Like my RS6, probably the only one for many miles! Can you tell I'm a little excited!!

DonS
April 23rd, 2009, 15:02
Floor mat update - Sabine is out of the RS6 mat business. Here is the reply:

"Hello Don,
we did a sell out and I have only some RS4 mats left and one set S3 and
two sets for a right hand drive BMW M5. If you know someone who need
such mats, let me know.
I can't deliver some RS6 mats any more, sorry.

best regards,
Sabine"

DonS
July 24th, 2009, 21:00
Wow, I just got the RS6 back from the dealer. It went from a rolling thunder to luxury quiet (with the occasional howl). The right-rear wheel bearing was bad. And here I thought it was the tires (they're nearly on their wear bars). I never noticed it until I had a few too many drinks and the wify drove me home. My but was vibrating in the backseat and I could barely hear myself think (not there was much thinking happening at that level of intoxiction). Wow, what a difference $300 makes. I wonder if the bad bearing is why no one would buy this car...? I have never been more pleased with this RS6.

RS6-4dr911
July 24th, 2009, 21:20
My son's A4 made the same noise, coulda sworn it was the tires, it was the rear bearing.

Then my RS6 started making the same noise, figured it must be the bearing, got it replaced, it was the tires. New tires, no noise.

Go figure.

JAYMEN
July 24th, 2009, 21:30
My son's A4 made the same noise, coulda sworn it was the tires, it was the rear bearing.

Then my RS6 started making the same noise, figured it must be the bearing, got it replaced, it was the tires. New tires, no noise.

Go figure.

What kind of tires?
I bet you paid too much for them at least 20% over retail.
First person to guess how much he got hosed for gets a :applause:

DHall1
July 24th, 2009, 21:44
Hey Don,

Whats this about bearings? Your car had noises?

How did your windshield come out? What did you end up with?

Wow, I just got the RS6 back from the dealer. It went from a rolling thunder to luxury quiet (with the occasional howl). The right-rear wheel bearing was bad. And here I thought it was the tires (they're nearly on their wear bars). I never noticed it until I had a few too many drinks and the wify drove me home. My but was vibrating in the backseat and I could barely hear myself think (not there was much thinking happening at that level of intoxiction). Wow, what a difference $300 makes. I wonder if the bad bearing is why no one would buy this car...? I have never been more pleased with this RS6.

DonS
July 24th, 2009, 22:11
The car just roared as I drove it - it sounded like a steam-roller. So obviously I thought it was the hard-as-rocks, worn to the bars PS2 tires. But sitting the backseat told a different story - loud, really LOUD. More on the right than the left. Far more than in driver's seat. So the next day I jack her up and man-handle the right-rear tire. Lo and behold it has some up and down play that shouldn't be there. Off to the dealer for a stock A6 bearing and she's the smoothest RS6 in town (okay, the only RS6 on town).

I'll deal with that pesky windshield when I can give the dealer a little more notification. 5-days notice to order a replacement from Audi. I scraped at the windshield and I can't find a film, but it dazzles light and is murky/blurry. Could there be so many rockchip repairs that I can't see clearly? Its worth the $600 to see what the hell is going on in front of me and not get a headache.