PDA

View Full Version : DRC Repair Tool and New Struts in WA

topcat_92
April 2nd, 2009, 01:31
My dealer just e-mailed me that they just got the DRC repair delivered, and they received the new struts for another RS6, and have 3 of the 4 struts needed for me. They're expecting the 4th shortly. It looks like AoA was hedging their bet with the August availability.

The dealer did a TAC (I think that's the right term) report for the DRC failure less than a month ago when I had the 75K service.

Can't wait to get the new struts in and see how they perform. Hopefully, these last. As someone else eluded to in another post, it looks like I'll be an early Guinea Pig of the fix.

I'll send an update once I hear the 4th strut is in.

hahnmgh63
April 2nd, 2009, 04:06
Topcat, which dealer are you dealing with? I will need to schedule my car soon.

topcat_92
April 2nd, 2009, 06:16
University. John Savo is my service rep.

topcat_92
April 10th, 2009, 22:36
Once the new struts got into the dealer, they had them in, and me out in two days. (loaner car included)

Picked-it up today. Halleluh, no clunk in the trunk!!! :thumb: Took a quick run at lunch down the Alaskan Way Viaduct (bumpy as hell with a few sweeping turns) and they performed great. Solid past the century mark. :rs6kiss:!!!

Time will tell to see if this fix can last. Wish me luck, and good luck to everyone else with their fix.

MalcolmS
April 10th, 2009, 22:39
Topcat - are you able to post the part numbers for all the components you had replaced?

Malcolm

SAF
April 11th, 2009, 03:13
Nice, glad to hear you had success!

allwheelsdriven
April 11th, 2009, 03:34
heh the alaska way viaduct really is the best suspension test in town. I did a 10K on it once and its not pretty up close

DHall1
April 11th, 2009, 06:13
Could you perform a little bounce and deflection test?

Open the trunk.....take both hands on the trunk floor and push down on the rear of the car. How much suspension "squat" do you get.

Taking into account a normal 180-200lb adult and just pushing down.

Does deflect say 1 inch, 2 or 1/2 inch? Is the damping rate(stiff to push, easy, controlled?)

??

Thanks,
Dave

Once the new struts got into the dealer, they had them in, and me out in two days. (loaner car included)

Picked-it up today. Halleluh, no clunk in the trunk!!! :thumb: Took a quick run at lunch down the Alaskan Way Viaduct (bumpy as hell with a few sweeping turns) and they performed great. Solid past the century mark. :rs6kiss:!!!

Time will tell to see if this fix can last. Wish me luck, and good luck to everyone else with their fix.

hahnmgh63
April 12th, 2009, 10:38
Topcat, do you know if they replaced all of the shock mounts while they did the shocks? What about any worn suspension pieces? I'll have to give University a call this next week.

topcat_92
April 13th, 2009, 16:37
Could you perform a little bounce and deflection test?

Open the trunk.....take both hands on the trunk floor and push down on the rear of the car. How much suspension "squat" do you get.

Taking into account a normal 180-200lb adult and just pushing down.

Does deflect say 1 inch, 2 or 1/2 inch? Is the damping rate(stiff to push, easy, controlled?)

??

Thanks,
Dave

I'll check tonight.

GEN XER
April 13th, 2009, 21:59
Im on the phone right now with AoA and they seem clueless as to what Im talking about when I say there are replacement parts in the system now for those with leaking shocks. OK now Im on the phone with the RS6 team guys and they are telling me they have not called anyone about the DRC repair. He is telling me he has to research the issue to see if there is anything he can do and he will get back with me by Wed. He asked me if he finds out there is something he can do which dealer whould I like to have the work done at? I told him the Richmond dealer. That went better than I expected. I actually talked to someone was my first suprise and they act like they are going to at least put forth an effort to do something is the even bigger shock to me.

topcat_92
April 17th, 2009, 14:49
Finally checked the rear compression and rebound information you requested. The suspesion compresses maybe 1" to 1-1/2" with some hard pushed (I am 195 lbs). The rebound is quick with no detectable oscillation in the suspension. Very taught.

ben916
April 17th, 2009, 18:13
heh the alaska way viaduct really is the best suspension test in town. I did a 10K on it once and its not pretty up close

1. Lake Sammamish Parkway is interesting but mostly low speed stuff.
2. I-90 past Issaquah for some high speed sweepers and incline...
3. Aurora northbound just north of Greenlake by Twin Teepees/Beth's Cafe (if it is still there), there is a nice S in the road that I remember was slightly rough...

Most eastside cops are p(R)icks though....

O/T - I was doing about 90mph through a right handed sweeper there (I-90) and a 911 up and passed me like a fart in the wind...

Hy Octane
April 17th, 2009, 19:01
Finally checked the rear compression and rebound information you requested. The suspesion compresses maybe 1" to 1-1/2" with some hard pushed (I am 195 lbs). The rebound is quick with no detectable oscillation in the suspension. Very taught.

This is too much vertical movement. Especially for the rear..
Too soft..If you can make it move so much with your 195 pounds, just imagine how much it will lean at 50 mph with a 4,000 lb car pressing against it?
The good news is that if you are not satidfied with the fix, you can have them do it again as there are no new parts to order, just repressurizing the ones you have properly.. The trick is to make sure all the air is evacuated from the lines.

Try the same test on a new S6 or an RS4..You can hardly move these..

topcat_92
April 17th, 2009, 19:23
I'll check it again this weekend with a tape measure and on a flat surface (my driveway has a slight slope), and let you know what the results.

DHall1
April 17th, 2009, 19:40
HyOct

I have something here.

The official word from AoA on the repair. IF the dealer has the new repressure kit. THEN the dealer will not replace the central valves.

MY QUESTION AND THEORY.

IF you have run the pressure low. THEN have you damaged the central valves? Because the CValves are the ones clunking in the rear when pressure is low. You cant tell me these are ok after a piston is hammering in a housing without any lube. I have not taken my crack today and I just dont buy what AoA is selling here. There was a reason Audi Gmbh wanted all the CVs replaced the first time. I think it was to ensure the above situation and to know that all was good after this repair.

??:vhmmm:??:deal:??:vgrumpy:??:eye:

I may not let them touch my car unless someone can explain to me how the CValves are ok after run low on oil.

http://www.titsup-racing.com/RS6_Training_Manual.pdf

See page 46.

Can someone PM Qisha and confirm my theory?

This is too much vertical movement. Especially for the rear..
Too soft..If you can make it move so much with your 195 pounds, just imagine how much it will lean at 50 mph with a 4,000 lb car pressing against it?
The good news is that if you are not satidfied with the fix, you can have them do it again as there are no new parts to order, just repressurizing the ones you have properly.. The trick is to make sure all the air is evacuated from the lines.

Try the same test on a new S6 or an RS4..You can hardly move these..

topcat_92
April 17th, 2009, 21:37
Here is the parts list from the strut replacement:

4B3-413-031-R STRUT
4B3-413-032-B STRUT
4B3-513-031-P STRUT
4B3-513-032-B STRUT
4F0-412-137 QUANTITY 2, BOOT
4B0-512-137-C QUANTITY 2, BOOT
N-101-064-02 QUANTITY 4, NUT
N-906-350-01 QUANTITY 2, NUT
N-021-198-4 QUANTITY 2, NUT
G-052-731-A2 HYDRAULIC OIL

Good point about the central valve. Is there any way I can diagnose if the central valve is blown, or can this only be done by a tech?

GEN XER
April 17th, 2009, 22:16
....and so it continues, we don't even have the campaign fully launched and already AoA is short changing us on parts. This is truly a bean counter move here. There is no way someone mechanically minded came up with this. I guess they want to defer the cost of replacing the CV for later if at all.

MalcolmS
April 17th, 2009, 22:27
these part numbers are the same as have been fitted to UK cars since the back end of 2008 and unfortunately there were recorded seal failures with these within weeks of fitting... :(

DHall1
April 17th, 2009, 22:59
The "new" design replaced all the old shocks in inventory.

These new shocks are not even on dealer shelves yet

all old stock was pulled

these part numbers are the same as have been fitted to UK cars since the back end of 2008 and unfortunately there were recorded seal failures with these within weeks of fitting... :(

MalcolmS
April 17th, 2009, 23:08
I'm confused! So Topcat's car was fitted with old stock then? That wasn't what I took from the start of this thread? Does anyone have the part numbers of the new improved shocks yet then?

snoopra
April 17th, 2009, 23:09
He he, D, the only thing I read in your post is " hammering.......without any lube." :D If what MalcolmS posted is right, then we're in for a greaseless hammering.:noshake:
Since there're no dealers here, do I get new CV's? What about the connecting lines running front to back, are they replacing those also? cause my lines looks corroded. If the "new" fix starts failing, will AoA be willing to pay for a set of KW V3's? I think this would the best solution instead of wasting time and money on a useless fix.

DHall1
April 17th, 2009, 23:18
anthing fixed in the usa between now and august needs special approval and parts are shipped in for your car.

i know your late to the game but read up on some of our posts.

I'm confused! So Topcat's car was fitted with old stock then? That wasn't what I took from the start of this thread? Does anyone have the part numbers of the new improved shocks yet then?

SAF
April 18th, 2009, 03:13
I believe since inventory is being replaced, part numbers are staying the same in the data base.

hahnmgh63
April 18th, 2009, 03:35
Audi has never stayed with the same part # when the part has been improved, they have always changed the suffix, same with VW & Porsche (maybe it is a German Automotive industry thing). If the part is different then it gets a new part #, if it is just changed (supposedly improved), it gets a new suffix, usually the next letter in the alphabet from the previous version.

DuckWingDuck
April 18th, 2009, 07:11
ya, i've never seen part number replacements, it would simply cause too much confusion

MalcolmS
April 18th, 2009, 09:49
anthing fixed in the usa between now and august needs special approval and parts are shipped in for your car.

i know your late to the game but read up on some of our posts.

I can assure you i'm not late to the game having read every recent DRC post in here, audisrs.com, audiworld.com, and other forums as well as EVERY DRC post ever in RS246.com.

According to Topcat he's had the latest parts fitted and i can assure you that if they were modified, enhanced, improved, whatever change adjective you want to use they would have a different suffix. These don't. The boot's are new though. :)

Get Qisha to confirm.

Malcolm

GEN XER
April 18th, 2009, 16:40
Now things are starting to look interesting. Is AoA truely fitting our cars with old parts and allowing us to assume they are the new parts comimg in Aug for warranty reasons? Why would they change the p/n on some parts but not all the parts or are they taking old parts and rebuilding them, thereby keeping the same P/N? If its the latter then I don't want them, I'd prefer a totally new shock not a rebuilt one and I will wait for it. See this is what happens when you are not forthcoming with your customers, you allow them to draw there on conclusions and then we start making our decision of our conclusions because AoA decides they want to keep quiet on the issue. We know there was some old stock left over, AoA says the new shocks won't be ready until Aug, Dave brings up the warranty issue, all of a sudden there are emergency shocks available for worst case cars and Dave gets a call out of the blue to get his fixed, the p/n are the same so there is only two conclusions we can come to. They are the exact same part or they had them rebuit and are using differnt internals. We can only speculate on Audi removing old inventory from the market, just like we can only speculate that these early shocks are really going to hold up and not just until Aug either.

DHall1
April 18th, 2009, 16:43
Hmmm

We have already covered the fact that the part numbers have not changed.

I can assure you i'm not late to the game having read every recent DRC post in here, audisrs.com, audiworld.com, and other forums as well as EVERY DRC post ever in RS246.com.

According to Topcat he's had the latest parts fitted and i can assure you that if they were modified, enhanced, improved, whatever change adjective you want to use they would have a different suffix. These don't. The boot's are new though. :)

Get Qisha to confirm.

Malcolm

Hy Octane
April 18th, 2009, 18:12
New DRC has new part numbers..
Only available on a case by case basis for now.
Service manager must take pictures of the leaking shocks and send them to HQ. If they determine the leaking is bad enough they will send a new replacement kit..if not serious enough, you will have to wait till august or until the leaks become bad enough to get the new fix. As I understand it, They are getting some shipmemnts of new parts but are trying to stockpile enough to send them out for August mass repairs. It would seem that they want all dealers to be trained and equipped with the new stuff by august before they begin replacing them en masse..
Patience grasshoppers..

DHall1
April 18th, 2009, 18:51
I would agree here.

Audi would never install rebuilt parts.

It would make sense that a small inventory would be ready as the big shipment gets ready for the boat ride.

That small shipment could come by air to service initial claims.

Gerry had a new set installed at Audi Scottsdale already. They have the new tool and I plan to have the same tech do my car.

I also plan to meet up with Gerry before I drop my car off to compare both cars pre and post. We have all the bases covered here and I do trust Audi will come thru.

Everything is set except the question on the Central Valves.

New DRC has new part numbers..
Only available on a case by case basis for now.
Service manager must take pictures of the leaking shocks and send them to HQ. If they determine the leaking is bad enough they will send a new replacement kit..if not serious enough, you will have to wait till august or until the leaks become bad enough to get the new fix. As I understand it, They are getting some shipmemnts of new parts but are trying to stockpile enough to send them out for August mass repairs. It would seem that they want all dealers to be trained and equipped with the new stuff by august before they begin replacing them en masse..
Patience grasshoppers..

MalcolmS
April 18th, 2009, 19:42
so, I'll ask again. Will (can) someone publish the part numbers of the new shocks?

SAF
April 18th, 2009, 20:20
Gerry had a new set installed at Audi Scottsdale already. They have the new tool and I plan to have the same tech do my car.

so, I'll ask again. Will (can) someone publish the part numbers of the new shocks?

Let's see something that can back up at least <i>one</i> of the different opinions floating around this thread. So far I see some part numbers and a lot of theories, nothing more. I don't think Audi or the dealers even know what they are doing or saying at this point because none of it sounds consistant when we share what we have been told. And if they don't know, how could <i>we</i> possibly know? LOL

snoopra
April 19th, 2009, 00:12
I would agree here.

Audi would never install rebuilt parts..............
Haven't they installed reman/rebuilt trans in the past?

topcat_92
April 19th, 2009, 02:05

OK, I got out the tape measure and why I pushed had my brother-in-law see how far I could compress the rear suspension. The max I could compress it was 1/2". My apologies, my earlier guesstimate was way off.

On a seprate note, I noted that the rear of the car appeared to be bit higher. Fronts are 1-7/16" tire to fender and rears are 1-7/8". I didn't measure this before the new struts, but probably didn't matter since they were shot. Shouldn't these measurements be a lot closer together, maybe 1/8" difference, not 7/16"?

If my central valve is OK, is addressing this height difference relatively simple for the dealer? I assume that if the valve is shot, its shot and needs to be replaced. Any way to tell if the valve is shot?

Thanks for your help guys.

JCT2033
April 19th, 2009, 02:45
Topcat,

I think the dealer installed the old shocks in your car. The following is an email from my local dealer confirming one of the four shocks they ordered for me mid last year. The part # matches one of your parts, and I have other emails containing same part # as you posted.

Audi West Covina

This email confirms a part has been special ordered for you.
<table width="300" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top" width="150"> SPO Number:</td> <td valign="top" width="150"> 08200010</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="150"> Part Number:</td> <td valign="top" width="150"> 4B3413031P </td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="150"> Description:</td> <td valign="top" width="150"> SHOCKABSOR</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="150"> Balance Due:</td> <td valign="top" width="150">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Another email will be sent when the part arrives.
If you have any questions concerning your special order, please reference the SPO number when contacting us.
Audi West Covina

DHall1
April 19th, 2009, 05:47
Are we having fun yet?

MalcolmS
April 19th, 2009, 20:53
Are we having fun yet?

Might as well, August is still a long way off... :burnout:

GEN XER
April 19th, 2009, 23:36
You know I just drove 1.5 hours to Richmond Friday so the dealer could tell me what I already knew, my DRC is shot. AoA had me take it in so there would be a record of me going to the dealer for service. Now if all I'm going to get from this is the same old BS shocks then why bother, we already know where this is going to end up. If the folks who are getting the so called " new" shocks are getting the same p/n then what is our assurance that they are not the same "old" parts all together? I really don't want to do this but one time.

DHall1
April 20th, 2009, 05:52
You had to drive down there?

I am 99.9% sure these are not the same struts. So sure, that I will let Audi fix my car. I also trust Gerry's opinion on Audi N Scottsdale and will use the same tech. They have the new took kit and were an authorized RS6 dealer when these were new.

All the information I have gathered is pointing to the facts. The parts supply was pulled in total from the USA. Dealers were told to wait till Aug. If leaking cars were encountered...they were told to call AoA for a case by case appeal.

Everyone, these struts are being produced. All inventory was pulled from USA. It makes sense that there are a few "new" struts coming into the system as the big batch is getting prepared. What Audi is doing is taking on the extra cost to ship as needed a few parts to keep cars safe on the roads. I can clearly see that situation and will take my car in for the repair.

I dont think its taking a leap to make the jump from point A to B to C here.

You know I just drove 1.5 hours to Richmond Friday so the dealer could tell me what I already knew, my DRC is shot. AoA had me take it in so there would be a record of me going to the dealer for service. Now if all I'm going to get from this is the same old BS shocks then why bother, we already know where this is going to end up. If the folks who are getting the so called " new" shocks are getting the same p/n then what is our assurance that they are not the same "old" parts all together? I really don't want to do this but one time.

GEN XER
April 30th, 2009, 21:31
Well I'm in for my repair on 11 May. All the parts are in and I will give you guys the report after the work is done. Lets hope this is the last time for the fix. Im not so sure it is.

SAF
April 30th, 2009, 21:34
Our fingers are crossed for the RS6 collective.