PDA

View Full Version : Porting and polishing RS6 heads, performance increase?

p3u
April 1st, 2009, 22:50
Anyone perform this to their car? Wondering if its worth to do. :rs6kiss:

DHall1
April 2nd, 2009, 04:44
If anyone thinks they can do a better job then Cosworth in design and performance. Raise your hand.

:vhmmm:

Anyone perform this to their car? Wondering if its worth to do. :rs6kiss:

p3u
April 2nd, 2009, 05:08
Have you seen the heads or have pics of them to post? Just curious, just because cosworth built it doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

DHall1
April 2nd, 2009, 05:56
I really dont see any value in spending time on the research. I know others want to cast a large blanket and come up with the shotgun coverage of potential mods. Me, I just want my DRC fixed as the car is everything I want other than the blown DRC.

Have you seen the heads or have pics of them to post? Just curious, just because cosworth built it doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

snoopra
April 2nd, 2009, 23:05
The only thing I know was done as far as port and polishing was on the fuel rail (customer car upgraded @ Champion Audi)

vinny
April 3rd, 2009, 13:25
guys, i worked at a performance mod shop for a year, and the 1.8T golf/audi motor saw some good flow and volume improvements when the ports AND valves were done.... intakes stayed, but exhaust valves were made larger....
theres always room for improvement in any casting.... the point to keep in mind is, some of the gains will be very small, for a fairly large amount of cash spent...

GEN XER
April 3rd, 2009, 14:32
guys, i worked at a performance mod shop for a year, and the 1.8T golf/audi motor saw some good flow and volume improvements when the ports AND valves were done.... intakes stayed, but exhaust valves were made larger....
theres always room for improvement in any casting.... the point to keep in mind is, some of the gains will be very small, for a fairly large amount of cash spent...

There in lies the point that is trying to be made. There will be thousands of dollars spent on porting and pollishing the head of an RS6 for minimal gains in the end, one would think.

vinny
April 10th, 2009, 15:49
yes gen xer, you're right - been re-reading this thread a few times - does it cost thousands of dollars to port and flow heads...?? i know in South Africa it costs a fair sum, but it wont be tens of thousands of rands - just depends who the heads go to.... maybe i need to do the homework and let you guys know.... :idea: :revs:

vinny
April 10th, 2009, 16:00
and i dont know of anyone who has modded the rs6 heads, so maybe we're all sitting on some good hidden power...!!! :bigeyes:

vinny
April 10th, 2009, 16:04
@snoopra - can you give more details on what was done on that rs at Champion Audi?? polishing the fuel rail wouldnt do much... if anything... (unless ive totally missed something..?? - which is possible :hihi:)

Golffather
April 11th, 2009, 02:48
Don't waste your time and hard earned money on porting, polishing etc.
Out of the box it's superb but I would get the ECU remapped as well as the gearbox. Replace the stock exhaust with a Milltek or similar and replace the CATs with staright pipe or performance CATs and you'll be pushing out at least 520-530hp.

Better bang for your buck and the satisfaction of knowing your heads not been off.

Just my thoughts.......

snoopra
April 11th, 2009, 04:30
@snoopra - can you give more details on what was done on that rs at Champion Audi?? polishing the fuel rail wouldnt do much... if anything... (unless ive totally missed something..?? - which is possible :hihi:)
Of course the details are a trade secret (I've tried to get exact details many times without success), but the car had an OC.T ecu/tcu upgrade, fuel pump, FPR, full milltek exhaust and ported fuel rail. Oh, I forgot to mention, they "modified" the DRC system and increased the pressure to 9psi (OEM is 5psi).

SIKAudi
April 11th, 2009, 21:23
I received a letter from AoA and they are replacing my DRC with a new design in August. Thats when parts for the new design will be available. Called the dealer to confirm and they are going to call when the parts arrive, its all set up. The best part is Audi is picking up the tab. Letter also states that if you have paid to replace them already they will reimburse.
V/R
SIKAudi,