PDA

View Full Version : Possible big turbo kits for our beasts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p3u
April 1st, 2009, 20:24
OK! So here is my thinking and someone shoot this down if I'm way off. RS6 turbos bolt up to the 2.7t, so same bolt patttern there ( on manifold anyways, downpipe flage is different and would need to be fabricated.) There is a GT25 and GT28 turbo set now available for the 2.7t, which in theroy should bolt onto the RS6 then!

http://www.aptuning.net/2000_To_2003_Audi_2_7T_Twin_Turbo_Eliminator_GT25R _p/atp-vvw-223.htm

http://www.aptuning.net/2000_To_2003_Audi_2_7T_Twin_Turbo_Eliminator_GT28R _p/atp-vvw-222.htm

http://www.aptuning.net/2000_To_2003_Audi_2_7T_Twin_Turbo_Eliminator_GT287 _p/atp-vvw-224.htm

The GT28 they offer actually seems ill sized for the 2.7t in the trim they sell, and more suited for a larger displacement engine!

If this is the case then someone buy a set of these turbos and tune away! I really hope I'm right on this, if so then :trash:

terrytcl
April 1st, 2009, 21:29
what about clearance between the tranny and tranny tunnel?

p3u
April 1st, 2009, 22:07
no clue, hope so!

SAFE4NOW
April 1st, 2009, 23:05
what about clearance between the tranny and tranny tunnel?

Nothing a well placed sledge hammer wouldnt correct... J/K:hihi:

Steve

SteveKen
April 2nd, 2009, 15:56
I've got the motor out and would be willing to be the guinea pig on fitment. I wonder if they have a return policy or if they have ones with the correct exhaust flanges only that might be a bit cheaper? I could always fab up the the intake and pressure side?

I'm still hoping to get with my contact at TiAl for some mock up pieces, but this project has been dragging on for some time and I'd like to get something that will keep my excitement up.

SteveKen
April 2nd, 2009, 15:59
As for clearance, the 01E might free up some space but I've been told by a little birdie that a lot of the air hoses can be removed from the back of the motor to maybe provide more room. . . Not a problem, I guess, since tuning will be a necessity anyway.

Benman
April 2nd, 2009, 20:22
I don't think the turbos are the issue as I was offered straight cost on turbos and free labor to "guinea pig" the idea when my car was 2 months old. The problem is the tranny. It already needs beefing up with modest gains, let alone big turbos!

Ben:addict:

SteveKen
April 2nd, 2009, 20:34
This is why I'm working on swapping in an 01E six speed, as the B5 S4/RS4 folks are putting lots of power through those lately. I'm guessing that any problems with the 01E have already been addressed and I'll get to that once I break Version 1.0 if/when I ever get to that point.

SAFE4NOW
April 2nd, 2009, 20:41
... coming in after the fact... I am interested and able to do some testing as well.

Question: The known transmission rebuilds that others are doing, will this not be enough to counter the higher HP with the larger turbos?

My thoughts are that we are looking at 700HP +/- ? What transmission set up was Champion using in their Rs6's ?

Steve

SteveKen
April 2nd, 2009, 21:08
I'm not sure, but I think there are folks putting down over 600 AWHP with the 01E. Reliability? Who knows?

hahnmgh63
April 2nd, 2009, 21:34
The problem isn't so much the HP but the TQ, and the TQ onset that really puts the strain on the transmission.

SteveKen
April 2nd, 2009, 21:42
Stock RS6 TQ is 415 lbs. ft.

The 600+ AWHP car I've read about put out 546 lbs. ft. WTQ.

At this point, I'm just stupid enough to just wait and see what breaks first. Step #1 is to get this thing running, though.

vinny
April 3rd, 2009, 13:16
@p3u - i think youre onto something here... :bow:
ive got 3 potential customers here in south afrcia for big turbo mods... i also just need someone to have done the homework - these guys dont want to be guinea pigs...

@steveken - thats pretty much the way this gets done... fit, drive, race, see what breaks.... :mech: but youd probably surprise yourself - i dont think too much would break (dont think anything if youve got a manual box)

Benman
April 6th, 2009, 17:21
What transmission set up was Champion using in their Rs6's ?

Steve

Moddified RS 4 MkI tranny. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

garbi
April 9th, 2009, 16:36
@p3u - i think youre onto something here... :bow:
Ive got 3 potential customers here in south afrcia for big turbo mods... I also just need someone to have done the homework - these guys dont want to be guinea pigs...

@steveken - thats pretty much the way this gets done... Fit, drive, race, see what breaks.... :mech: But youd probably surprise yourself - i dont think too much would break (dont think anything if youve got a manual box)

hey , finally someone in south africa which can play with my car, who are you? Where are you ?

Garbi