View Full Version : R8 5.2 FSI vs 997 Turbo Auto Zeitung

KresoF1
April 1st, 2009, 07:54
More later today or tomorrow...
http://www.autozeitung.de/files/images/02788/az08_09_062_VT_AudiR8Porsch.jpg

artur777
April 1st, 2009, 09:40
KresoF1,

did they measure the acceleration times and handling capabilities of those cars?

Leadfoot
April 1st, 2009, 11:11
Kerso,

I possible can you translate to English.

KresoF1
April 1st, 2009, 12:08
KresoF1,

did they measure the acceleration times and handling capabilities of those cars?

3.7s and 11.9s 911 Turbo
3.9s and 12.1s R8 5.2 FSI

audi_ch
April 1st, 2009, 12:21
acceleration turbo is stil the daddy...

i think r8 should have a turbo as well, regarding the tunning performance off the turbo.

Was it a manuel turbo, or the slow 5 gear automatic.
Was the r8 manuel or not.

I heard the new turbo with direct clutch is again i nice bit faster than the actuel version.

We will see

KK265
April 1st, 2009, 13:02
3.7s and 11.9s 911 Turbo
R8 should be quicker.It is newer and 45 ps more powerful.
:nono:

RXBG
April 1st, 2009, 13:34
were those actual independent figures or simply regurgitated manufacturer published times in that article?

i still think the V10 won't be quite as quick at triple digit aceeleration esp if the TT is an automatic. but the R8 will clean the floor with it on the track.

KresoF1
April 1st, 2009, 13:39
were those actual independent figures or simply regurgitated manufacturer published times in that article?

i still think the V10 won't be quite as quick at triple digit aceeleration esp if the TT is an automatic. but the R8 will clean the floor with it on the track.

Auto Zeitung measurements. R8 5.2 FSI is R Tronic, 997 Turbo is manual...

R8 5.2 FSI is totally new car, 997 Turbo is with some kms. Also, this is the fastest 997 Turbo ever measured by German car magazines. So far, fastest 997 Turbo manual did 0-200km/h in 12.1s(measured by Auto Bild Sportscar Edition)...

I will try to post full scans on Friday.

artur777
April 1st, 2009, 13:45
3.7s and 11.9s 911 Turbo

thx.
and in the handling department?

R8 should be quicker after 230km/h due to more wtq/weight.

RXBG
April 1st, 2009, 14:00
Auto Zeitung measurements. R8 5.2 FSI is R Tronic, 997 Turbo is manual...

R8 5.2 FSI is totally new car, 997 Turbo is with some kms. Also, this is the fastest 997 Turbo ever measured by German car magazines. So far, fastest 997 Turbo manual did 0-200km/h in 12.1s(measured by Auto Bild Sportscar Edition)...

I will try to post full scans on Friday.

i honestly hate that r-tronic. no matter how revised it may be. R&T updated its 0-60 times with a manual car and got 0.4 secs faster than r-tronic. this figure can inevitable affect the 1/4 miles and 0-200 kph times.

likely we will se 1/4 times in the 11.8 second range with a manual. these cars are neck and neck in a straight. with the DPK or manual the 997.2 TT will be faster again in the straights. but i won't care.

KresoF1
April 1st, 2009, 15:50
thx.
and in the handling department?

R8 should be quicker after 230km/h due to more wtq/weight.

Huh!

997 Turbo faster on the track as well. Difference is not big, but I honestly expected much, much more from R8 5.2 FSI...

Porsche achieved 4L less fuel consumption then R8 V10. 997 Turbo was also better at handling... To explain little bit-it is latest MY09 997 Turbo manual with LSD and latest software for its PTM AWD system.
Both cars were on standard tires.

Further bad news-I received email from my Motorpresse friend-both AMS and Sport Auto are currently testing two examples of R8 5.2 FSI. Results are not great at all...

R8 England
April 1st, 2009, 16:56
Mmmm.....

I'd be interested to see how R8 V8 compares to V10, and also to Gallardo.......

Leadfoot
April 1st, 2009, 17:10
Huh!

997 Turbo faster on the track as well. Difference is not big, but I honestly expected much, much more from R8 5.2 FSI...

Porsche achieved 4L less fuel consumption then R8 V10. 997 Turbo was also better at handling... To explain little bit-it is latest MY09 997 Turbo manual with LSD and latest software for its PTM AWD system.
Both cars were on standard tires.

That is a little surprising that the Porsche was quicker on the track but as every road tester has ever wrote about the R8's ability to give driver's that added confidence in it's handling balance that very few cars can match, the LP560 included. So while the Porsche in the right hand may indeed be quicker on this and other occasions I doubt that in the hands of a car enthusiast of average to better ability like most people are that own these cars will continue to be the quicker car.

From my experience of the 997 unless Porsche have totally changed it's character I doubt it's as easy a car to drive quickly as the R8 definitely is. Though like all cars that are mid engined it does require respect and if you over step the mark it will bit back.

Further bad news-I received email from my Motorpresse friend-both AMS and Sport Auto are currently testing two examples of R8 5.2 FSI. Results are not great at all...

Hey, you have to take the rough with the smooth and not everyone will either like it or agree with each other. We will see over the next few months some rave reviews of the R8 and some less so excellent reviews. As I have free will I will choose to ignore the bad ones and only read the glowing reviews. :D

KresoF1
April 1st, 2009, 17:40
Leadie,

For the money that it costs R8 5.2 FSI NEEDS to BE faster on EVERY track and in the straight line then 997 Turbo. Period. That is my personal opinion.

BTW, there is a car in Audi line that will be faster then factory specs and will have pretty good track times-TT RS. I may buy that small sportscar instead of R8 5.2 FSI in the end...

R8 England
April 1st, 2009, 17:47
I too was looking at the TT-RS or "Baby R8". Quoted 0-60 is 4.6 secs, the same as R8 V8.

But it is front-engined, whereas R8 is mid-engined. I suspect handling on R8 will be noticeably better.

KresoF1
April 1st, 2009, 17:55
I too was looking at the TT-RS or "Baby R8". Quoted 0-60 is 4.6 secs, the same as R8 V8.

But it is front-engined, whereas R8 is mid-engined. I suspect handling on R8 will be noticeably better.

There is a potentionally great solution for me-to buy TT RS and Porsche 997.2 GT3. Together they cost only around 15K € more then R8 5.2 FSI with full specs. On 997.2 GT3 I do not need PCCBs. Only few items. Same on TTRS(Buckets, 19", Navi and 280km/h limiter). Hmm... I like that combination very much...

audi_ch
April 1st, 2009, 18:16
i would stay with the turbo and give it to speedart, Techart, or just another tunner, out come is fantastic

KresoF1
April 1st, 2009, 18:38
i would stay with the turbo and give it to speedart, Techart, or just another tunner, out come is fantastic

Sorry, but I am not the biggest fan of any tuning. If I buy 997 Turbo or 997.2 Turbo or TT RS I will keep it in factory shape.

Toto89
April 1st, 2009, 19:01
I think being slightly slower than 911 Turbo means nothing. Just imagine if R8 would be 0.2 sec or so faster with it's n/a engine versus turbo. Porsche needs only the cheapest chip and things shift round immediately. It is silly to argue about straight line acceleration times between these two cars, not to mention that R8 is so much closer to GT-3 RS or Ferrari 430 than Turbo...It is a track oriented car, while Turbo is better in everyday use, and also faster.

KresoF1
April 1st, 2009, 19:06
R8 5.2 FSI track oriented car? With 1640kg measured weight? Hmm...

KresoF1
April 1st, 2009, 19:40
R8 5.2 FSI 1640kg
997 Turbo 1520kg

Hmm...weight of that 997 Turbo is fishy. R8 5.2 FSI R Tronic weight of 1640kg is about right since official weight is 1625kg without options.

1520kg is IMHO not possible. 1585kg is official Porsche figure. PCCBs and Bucket seats could shave 25kg, NOT 65kg. Other thing-this example of 997 Turbo is the fastest 997 Turbo ever measured by German magazine. 11.9s is very fast, faster then most 997 GT2 measured by all German magazine.

I willl stay with my R8 5.2 FSI order. This comparison is somehow strange since weight figure for 997 Turbo are very skiny indeed...

BTW, 997 Turbo was 0.5s faster on test track. After rereading the test for three times my verdict is-AZ comparison is little bit pro-Porsche...

Toto89
April 1st, 2009, 19:41
Yes, because of it's drivetrain and handling. Or what else would you call it?

RXBG
April 1st, 2009, 19:43
how much more %-wise is V10 vs V8 in EU? rumors in the us are 30% more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or about 16% more than newest 997 TT!!!!!!!!!

ridiculous.

KresoF1
April 1st, 2009, 19:52
how much more %-wise is V10 vs V8 in EU? rumors in the us are 30% more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or about 16% more than newest 997 TT!!!!!!!!!

ridiculous.

R8 5.2 FSI is costing marginally less then 997 Turbo in Germany.

997 Turbo is a bargin in USA. If I were living in USA I would buy 997 Turbo without thinking.

RXBG
April 1st, 2009, 20:39
R8 5.2 FSI is costing marginally less then 997 Turbo in Germany.

997 Turbo is a bargin in USA. If I were living in USA I would buy 997 Turbo without thinking.

is that for equally equipped cars (i.e. navigation, etc...)?

if so i think you are 100% correct. 997 TT is a bargain. i for one will not buy the V10 if it is priced thus. were it to be priced in accordance with actual logic (on par with 997 TT) it is a no brainer for me. but i think audi is tempting hubris if the rumors are correct. the market in the states is sh*t right now. and V8's are being backed out of. but i would never replace my V8 with the porsche.

artur777
April 1st, 2009, 20:43
is that for equally equipped cars (i.e. navigation, etc...)?

if so i think you are 100% correct. 997 TT is a bargain. i for one will not buy the V10 if it is priced thus. were it to be priced in accordance with actual logic (on par with 997 TT) it is a no brainer for me. but i think audi is tempting hubris if the rumors are correct. the market in the states is sh*t right now. and V8's are being backed out of. but i would never replace my V8 with the porsche.

it's a matter of habit
997.2 Turbo is just better.
Take it easy

RXBG
April 1st, 2009, 20:51
it's a matter of habit
997.2 Turbo is just better.
Take it easy

...a matter of opinion.

R8 England
April 1st, 2009, 21:10
The real bargains (due to the copllapse in the Pound) for V10 are in UK.

V8 - basic spec (WITHOUT Sat Nav, mag ride, B&O, lights) GBP £78,800 - EUR 86,000
V10 - basic spec (but that includes mag ride, B&O, Sat Nav, LED lights, lighting package, elec seats ......) GBP £99,500 - EUR 108,000

Allowing for the high V10 spec, the difference between V8 and V10 is about £10,000.

I think V10 in UK is over EUR 30,000 cheaper than in Europe !

RXBG
April 2nd, 2009, 01:45
audi has to be factoring in volume and demand in each market to come up with these prices. i wonder if porsche is influencing audi pricing in the US with the V10. it would be a way of making the car less desirable when compared to its "bargain" TT.

wankeldude
April 2nd, 2009, 05:29
why didn't they simply put the V10 TFSI from the RS6 in there?

R8 England
April 2nd, 2009, 08:59
Size, weight, overheating problems (catching fire !) in test cars

Qisha
April 2nd, 2009, 10:29
Dear Friends,

the R8 5.2 FSI is rated to be a match for the 997 Turbo. Both manual and similar equipped the Turbo is a nose at front, regarding acceleration. At higher speed the R8 profits from its drag coefficient. You got to keep in mind, Porsche engines are always very healthy, especialy the turboed.

Track wise, the "nose advantage" is on the R8 side.

In the end, the R8 5.2 FSI is as fast as favored... in this case.

Qisha

artur777
April 2nd, 2009, 10:55
Dear Friends,

the R8 5.2 FSI is rated to be a match for the 997 Turbo. Both manual and similar equipped the Turbo is a nose at front, regarding acceleration. At higher speed the R8 profits from its drag coefficient. You got to keep in mind, Porsche engines are always very healthy, especialy the turboed.

Qisha

great info! much appreciated
and what about r8 v10 vs 997.2 turbo PDK? soon this car will be in the market

audi_ch
April 2nd, 2009, 10:59
997.2 turbo will be the stat of the art.

Internal test should him almost to close to the gt2

KresoF1
April 2nd, 2009, 10:59
Dear Friends,

Qisha

Thanks.

I am staying with R8 5.2 FSI. Early next week you will get an email from me with comission number.

Best Regards,

Kreso

Leadfoot
April 2nd, 2009, 11:12
great info! much appreciated
and what about r8 v10 vs 997.2 turbo PDK? soon this car will be in the market

Qisha is basically confirming what I reckon would be the case, that is the R8 will pull ahead as speed increases but that may not always be the case as from one example to another actual engine output can differ slightly.

As for the Turbo with PDK, well then I would give the nod to the Porsche on every occasion. But as much as I like the 997 for looks it's not the kind of shape that in my mind automatically makes me think 'supercar', it's shape is decidedly sportscar which isn't the case with the R8. There is a since of occasion with the R8 that Audi has captured brilliantly.

So in my opinion Kreso, please mate stick with the R8. :thumb:

R8 England
April 2nd, 2009, 12:17
Qisha,

Trying to send you a PM, but it is rejected as your mailbox is full !

audi_ch
April 2nd, 2009, 13:29
Qisha is basically confirming what I reckon would be the case, that is the R8 will pull ahead as speed increases but that may not always be the case as from one example to another actual engine output can differ slightly.

So in my opinion Kreso, please mate stick with the R8. :thumb:

Sorry Leadfoot, you were saying the r8v10 profits due to his Na engine on higher speed over the Turbo on higher speeds. Nobody else says that.

now the discussion is over drag. And there will be simple figuers for r8 and 911 turbo. One of them have better drag coeficent.

And on Qisha statement i dont see the point where r8 over takes the turbo, he mentiond just his better drag coefficent at higher speeds.
We still have the unknown gearing ratio, we still dont know how the engine performce at high speed, and we never know if porsche gives a little extra boost on the turbo...

KresoF1
April 2nd, 2009, 14:24
R8 5.2 FSI cw is 0.37 BTW. 997 Turbo 0.31cw so...

I wont comment any more until I see test results from AMS, Sport Auto and Italian Quattroruote. Uk mags? Hmm, no thanks.

Leadfoot
April 2nd, 2009, 14:24
OK, maybe it's a guess as to why I think the R8v10 will pull away at higher speed due to the fact that the M6 did just that when tested against the 997Turbo in the recent Driver Republic review and video (http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_tv/index.cfm?videoid=6c31e8668d004424950145bdc59eeb64&area=videos) that included the R8v8, if you check around the 3:50 you will see exactly what I mean. With the R8v10 you have an engine that revs even harder and higher, produces even more torque over a wider rev range and higher up the rev range. It also has a smaller surface area at the front plus it weights less.

Basically everything is stacked in the R8's favour to be the quicker car, plus Kreso also informed us that this Turbo was quicker than every other one tested so maybe it was a one-off and other test will indeed show the R8 to be quicker.

Who knows. :looking:

RXBG
April 2nd, 2009, 14:54
i know one thing. there i a special, magical quality to driving the R8 that no current porsche can touch. this is a fact my friends. we are whoring too much on plain numbers if you ask me.

park the two side by side and give the choice of one to a regular person- guess wich one they take home?

audi_ch
April 2nd, 2009, 15:24
@leadfoot. dont forget the 7 gear smg3 of the m6, instead of the 6 gear of the 911 turbo. R8 will be aswell on 6 gear.

I think this 7the gear extremly helps the m6..

Leadfoot
April 2nd, 2009, 15:45
@leadfoot. dont forget the 7 gear smg3 of the m6, instead of the 6 gear of the 911 turbo. R8 will be aswell on 6 gear.

I think this 7the gear extremly helps the m6..

Maybe you are more familiar with the gearing of the M6 than myself but I would assume that the M6 can pretty more reach it's 155mph limiter in 5th gear, which is probably slightly less than what the Turbo should reach in it's 5th gear, I guessing the Porsche will reach about 10~15mph more (maybe).

My opinion is that if you have an engine reving to 8700rpm as the R8v10 does compared to around 6500rpm for the Porsche you have shorter gearing reaching the same potential speeds per gear, so while the early part of the race is so quick in time and each gear is despense with so quickly it really takes the longer gears (4th, 5th and 6th) to really show any difference.

Most races I have witnessed when comparing turbo vs N/A high revving cars is that the turbo makes itself felt in the first half of each gear with the N/A car controlling the latter half.

KresoF1
April 2nd, 2009, 16:10
i know one thing. there i a special, magical quality to driving the R8 that no current porsche can touch. this is a fact my friends. we are whoring too much on plain numbers if you ask me.

park the two side by side and give the choice of one to a regular person- guess wich one they take home?

Chick magnet thing? Hmm...

I love R8, BUT I am not pleased with performance of my car. Few days ago I was overtaken by 997.2 Carrera S PDK. I pushed my R8 4.2 FSI as hard as possible, just I could not touch him...

When I had latest issue of Auto Bild Sportscar edition in my hands I wondered if test results of 997.2 CS are little bit overrated(0-200km/h in 14.3s!!!). Now, I know that new Carrera S PDK is that fast...

I still love R8 in both versions, but unlike most R8 fans I am aware of its(minor or not) shortcomings.

Leadfoot
April 2nd, 2009, 16:15
When I had latest issue of Auto Bild Sportscar edition in my hands I wondered if test results of 997.2 CS are little bit overrated(0-200km/h in 14.3s!!!). Now, I know that new Carrera S PDK is that fast...

Seriously, 14.3s. That is incredible.

How do this compare to the manual 997.2 CS?

KresoF1
April 2nd, 2009, 16:58
Seriously, 14.3s. That is incredible.

How do this compare to the manual 997.2 CS?

Manual is about 1s slower till 200km/h.

I drove 997.2 CS equiped with SPASM, PDK and SC Plus. Honestly, I am as impressed as possible.
Simply said it is faster car then R8 4.2 FSI. Period.
What I liked a lot is PDK is Sport D(Auto) mode. It works brilliantly here-best choice for dynamic daily driving. Standard PDK mode is good only for heavy traffic and slow down town driving. Sport Plus on the other hand is total attack mode for track driving. Gearchanges at rev limiter all the times, more agressive throttle bips on downshifts-fastest mode for the Ring.
Most amazing thing is how good is PDK calibrated in D mode. In both Sport and Sport Plus I did not feel any need for M(manual) override!! Kudos to Porsche here-they nailed it.
PDK is in my opinion the very best DCT currently on the market.

One other thing-I felt great in 997.2 CS. I did not missed my R8 4.2 FSI at all. That is not good thing at all...

RXBG
April 2nd, 2009, 17:00
not chick magnet. people magnet.

if i want to overtake i'll buy an evo, mod it, and kill GTR's, the CS that over took you, and 997 TT's all day. so?

KresoF1
April 2nd, 2009, 17:06

if i want to overtake i'll buy an evo, mod it, and kill GTR's, the CS that over took you, and 997 TT's all day. so?

OK. People magnet.

Just two questions for you:

1. Do you feel as me that AWD provides very agricultural on R8 at steering full lock or parking speed? I do.

2. Oil consumption... Little bit too high for my taste. Service department said everything is OK. Just, I still think that V8 likes oil little bit too much for my taste. Your experince?

I apparently expected little bit too much from my R8...

KresoF1
April 2nd, 2009, 17:22
Just to get the things sorted out-I will buy R8 5.2 FSI. I still love my R8 4.2 FSI manual more then Porsche 997.2 Carrera S PDK.

Just, I am not blind Audi fan. Some other cars are good as well, Porsche 997.2 models specially. ...and as Leadie wrote in another thread-TT RS will give you almost the same thrill as R8 4.2 FSI for much, much smaller amount on money...

RXBG
April 2nd, 2009, 17:37
OK. People magnet.

Just two questions for you:

1. Do you feel as me that AWD provides very agricultural on R8 at steering full lock or parking speed? I do.

2. Oil consumption... Little bit too high for my taste. Service department said everything is OK. Just, I still think that V8 likes oil little bit too much for my taste. Your experince?

I apparently expected little bit too much from my R8...

look dude, i will be frank.

i think the audi R8 is the baddest looking, best handling, most unique, comfortable, and extraordinary car on the planet (ok, except maybe the new zonda r or DBS in some ways)....

i wouldn't trade it for any porsche ever ever ever ever. you can throw porsches at me all day, you can tell me the base cayman has better armrests or that a lady in a bike is faster or that the 997.2 DPK is this or that better than my car, or that the 997.2 TT DPK will be faster in third gear than the R8 V10.....

a n d i c o u l d g i v e a r a t s A$$ about all of those things.

i have never met a porsche driver in person or on the street or a GTR driver or even a 599 GTB driver that didn't have some degree of jealousy when they saw my car.

the R8 is an audi. hence- nothing to prove. nuff said.

besides, the look of suffering and helplessness on that 997 TT driver's face when he saw me passing him on a curved on ramp knowing there was nothing he could do about it (after he had blown past me on a straight) was just PRICELESS. he knew that he might as well have been in a Z28 camaro earlier for all the difference the power made.

artur777
April 2nd, 2009, 18:00

You are joking and looking funny with such words
buy evo and mod it - and you will never overtake 997 turbo or gtr
and you evo-corch will be just looking funny comparing to 997 turbo:-)

your love in r8 is above the logic - I can't understand it at all...
i know you would think in other way if you hadn't bought it...

artur777
April 2nd, 2009, 18:01
Just to get the things sorted out-I will buy R8 5.2 FSI. I still love my R8 4.2 FSI manual more then Porsche 997.2 Carrera S PDK.

Just, I am not blind Audi fan. Some other cars are good as well, Porsche 997.2 models specially. ...and as Leadie wrote in another thread-TT RS will give you almost the same thrill as R8 4.2 FSI for much, much smaller amount on money...

I would advise to go with Porsche - its much better car if we talk about 997.2 models
R8 is great but not that geat
TT-RS is much better also than R8 in terms price and quality

RXBG
April 2nd, 2009, 18:08
You are joking and looking funny with such words
buy evo and mod it - and you will never overtake 997 turbo or gtr
and you evo-corch will be just looking funny comparing to 997 turbo:-)

your love in r8 is above the logic - I can't understand it at all...
i know you would think in other way if you hadn't bought it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3S2I8UWqIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Z2pPbVFxY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ZofPpPWKQ

KresoF1
April 2nd, 2009, 18:18
BTW, I think that R8 5.2 FSI is fast enough in straight line... Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdEe1BxW7HE Faster for sure then my R8 4.2 FSI...

artur777
April 2nd, 2009, 19:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3S2I8UWqIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Z2pPbVFxY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ZofPpPWKQ

those are corches:-)
videos are funny
I imagine how would look R8 comparing to those cars:lovl:

artur777
April 2nd, 2009, 19:04
BTW, I think that R8 5.2 FSI is fast enough in straight line... Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdEe1BxW7HE Faster for sure then my R8 4.2 FSI...

I agree with this
Very quick!

KresoF1
April 3rd, 2009, 19:27
Learned few things about AZ comparison. 997 Turbo is apparently at upper limit of power. Author of article is know Porsche fan. R8 5.2 FSI is much easier to drive very fast, for Porsche you need to be as Germans say Kenner-or experienced driver in good old english.

Order is resotred IMO-R8 5.2 FSI is the sportscar.

Leadfoot
April 3rd, 2009, 23:30
Learned few things about AZ comparison. 997 Turbo is apparently at upper limit of power. Author of article is know Porsche fan. R8 5.2 FSI is much easier to drive very fast, for Porsche you need to be as Germans say Kenner-or experienced driver in good old english.

Order is resotred IMO-R8 5.2 FSI is the sportscar.

Looks like they agreed with me about the R8 being much easier to drive quickly, as is the case when it's compared to almost all other rivals. And I think RXBG said it best, we all seem to get hung up of the figures instead of the simple experience/thrill of the drive. I don't know whether the 997.2 has changed it's handling characteristics compared to the last model but if not then I (like yourself) would much prefer the Cayman/Boxster.

Moving off topic a little (sorry guys) but isn't it simply amazing that though the R8v10 seems to be able to match the LP560 in cornering ability and thrill, it also proves to be much better at coping with poor road conditions and is so much easier to drive around the limits of adhesion.

I don't think people give Audi enough credit as a world class chassis designer because they really are one of the best.

RXBG
April 4th, 2009, 03:49
Looks like they agreed with me about the R8 being much easier to drive quickly, as is the case when it's compared to almost all other rivals. And I think RXBG said it best, we all seem to get hung up of the figures instead of the simple experience/thrill of the drive. I don't know whether the 997.2 has changed it's handling characteristics compared to the last model but if not then I (like yourself) would much prefer the Cayman/Boxster.

Moving off topic a little (sorry guys) but isn't it simply amazing that though the R8v10 seems to be able to match the LP560 in cornering ability and thrill, it also proves to be much better at coping with poor road conditions and is so much easier to drive around the limits of adhesion.

I don't think people give Audi enough credit as a world class chassis designer because they really are one of the best.

frankly and fundamentally, the R8 is a better vehicle than the LP560 overall. period. you either get it or you don't (not you specifically- you know what i mean).

btw- newcastle. hell of a beer. you brits can make a good brew.

Ruergard
April 4th, 2009, 09:59

That's one thing for sure. But listen to it.. It screams! :bigeyes:

And this is an Audi, I'm still having it hard to see this! :jlol:

psalm23and24
April 4th, 2009, 19:58
Okay guys. Frankly, all (especially P-Car 997 TT and Audi R8) great cars. No need to get over excited. I think it depends on what you want or like in a car. At the end, nothing beats personal satisfaction. If you like raw speed, straight line/street light dwell, I doubt the R8 will do it for you.
The P-Car (for me the GT3) has this mechanical precision, sense of being super-glued to the asphalt and switchgear solidity that is incomparable.
But alas, you can't beat the "complete" sensation of driving the R8 (not the fastest car, good enough speed, but tremendous balance), the sense of occasion, the unique design and the Q factor.
The winner: Porsche (the company, NOT the car) because at the end, they will make the long-term profits from the VW group (including monies we spend/will spend on R8's et al).
Buy what makes you happy and enjoy it in good taste. Drive safely and respect other road users, including the guy in the Yugo. Peace.

SR71
April 6th, 2009, 10:22
I reckon it might be the case of Porsche having tweaked the factory car's boost a little...

A TT faster than a GT2...

Hmmmm.

On the street there has got to be nothing in it.

KresoF1
April 8th, 2009, 12:30
BTW, full test with measurements of R8 5.2 FSI is in new issue of German AMS. More tomorrow...

Rami
April 24th, 2009, 11:03
Hey Kreso, it has been awhile man ... how are you?
I noticed you ordered a V10. Did you go for the manual or R-Tronic version?