View Full Version : New RS5 mule pics

KresoF1
March 30th, 2009, 17:16
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/01-audi-rs5-spy-ring.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/02-audi-rs5-spy-ring.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/03-audi-rs5-spy-ring.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/04-audi-rs5-spy-ring.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/05-audi-rs5-spy-ring.jpg

According to my info-this is it. ...and I like it a lot.

tazsura
March 30th, 2009, 17:29
Hmmm, v.nice!

That looks to be hiding Ur-quattro arches...

Taz :D

KresoF1
March 30th, 2009, 17:31
Hmmm, v.nice!

That looks to be hiding Ur-quattro arches...

Taz :D

...and that is nice thing. I will buy one for sure. Since I will have R8 5.2 FSI and TT RS also you can call me Audi maniac...

inF
March 30th, 2009, 18:35
"This is Audi’s new RS5 out on test on the roads surrounding the Nurburgring, and under the bonnet is a 450bhp twin-turbo V8.

...But Ingolstadt wants to take the fight to BMW, so will equip its new RS5 coupe with a direct-injection 4.2-litre V8 that produces 450bhp, 332lb ft and rev to 8000rpm.
And to match the BMW, the RS5 will be available with both a six-speed manual and a seven-speed twin-clutch ‘box for lightning fast gear changes – the RS5 should reach 62mph in 4.5 seconds. "

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/Audi-RS5-2009-spyshots/

A twin turbo 4.2-liter V8 engine with 450 bhp and 450 Nm.
Oh, that Car Magazine.....

QuattroFun
March 30th, 2009, 18:35
Many thx for posting - I love the way it appears to blend RS6 and TTRS styling clues. Boxed wheels arches, the TTRS style front spoiler and exhaust/diffusor will look hot on Walter da Silva's finest. An of course that upgraded NA V8:wo:

KresoF1
March 30th, 2009, 18:56
"This is Audi’s new RS5 out on test on the roads surrounding the Nurburgring, and under the bonnet is a 450bhp twin-turbo V8.

...But Ingolstadt wants to take the fight to BMW, so will equip its new RS5 coupe with a direct-injection 4.2-litre V8 that produces 450bhp, 332lb ft and rev to 8000rpm.
And to match the BMW, the RS5 will be available with both a six-speed manual and a seven-speed twin-clutch ‘box for lightning fast gear changes – the RS5 should reach 62mph in 4.5 seconds. "

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/Audi-RS5-2009-spyshots/

A twin turbo 4.2-liter V8 engine with 450 bhp and 450 Nm.
Oh, that Car Magazine.....

Yes, that Car Magazine...

BTW, engine will be 4163ccm HDZ V8 with 450ps/460Nm. Dry sump.

S Tronic with 7 speed-updated for bigger power.

The Pretender
March 30th, 2009, 19:40
http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/3/large/audi-rs5-first-spy-photos.jpg
http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/3/large/audi-rs5-first-spy-photos_1.jpg
http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/3/large/audi-rs5-first-spy-photos_2.jpg
http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/3/large/audi-rs5-first-spy-photos_3.jpg
http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/3/large/audi-rs5-first-spy-photos_4.jpg

Jarod.

artur777
March 30th, 2009, 21:33
Yes, that Car Magazine...

BTW, engine will be 4163ccm HDZ V8 with 450ps/460Nm. Dry sump.

S Tronic with 7 speed-updated for bigger power.

thx
and what will be the rev limit - 8000 or 8400?

Damienr8
March 30th, 2009, 22:02
thx
and what will be the rev limit - 8000 or 8400?

MAN it looks soo MEAN.

Leadfoot
March 30th, 2009, 23:14
So we are finally getting to see the RS5 and first thing to notice is the widened arches. Does this mean old style RS4 or new style RS6?

I guess we will know soon enough. ;)

JavierNuvolari
March 31st, 2009, 03:20
Audi has launched some seriously cool cars in the last few years, kudos to them. The wheel arches SHOULD be a la RS6....simply sex on wheels.

Erik
March 31st, 2009, 06:49
I think is just Audi testing out their new two-tone paint :D

My God, those exhaust pipes are HUGE!

rs4some
March 31st, 2009, 09:31
I think it would look way better with the RS4 style guards than those, it just doesn't have the same "tough" look as and RS4

AndyBG
March 31st, 2009, 10:00
This time my hint was right..., 4.2 will be in it.

Looks are also going into right direction, now the last thing we need to know is weight!

RXBG
March 31st, 2009, 13:39
...and that is nice thing. I will buy one for sure. Since I will have R8 5.2 FSI and TT RS also you can call me Audi maniac...

nice find kreso- you too jarod- thanks for adding!!!!

kreso- you'll have an audi dream garage.

on another note, i suspect the R8's current V8 will be replaced with this one. the dry sump is the most surprising yet expected item. i think this thing will handle better than anything bmw makes. amazing how audi has truned the tables on the "utlimate driving machine" my god! especially if this thing gets the DSG- it's going to be sick....

LittleDevil
March 31st, 2009, 14:29
Great! That car will replace my S5 :D

artur777
March 31st, 2009, 15:08
nice find kreso- you too jarod- thanks for adding!!!!

kreso- you'll have an audi dream garage.

on another note, i suspect the R8's current V8 will be replaced with this one. the dry sump is the most surprising yet expected item. i think this thing will handle better than anything bmw makes. amazing how audi has truned the tables on the "utlimate driving machine" my god! especially if this thing gets the DSG- it's going to be sick....

Will it be quicker than RS6?

Leadfoot
March 31st, 2009, 15:19
Will it be quicker than RS6?

Are you meaning acceleration and topspeed or is it on the track. On the track I think that is a no brainer but highly doubt it will match or even get close to the RS6 in acceleration, maybe up to 80~90mph the two will be close but after that it's a war of horsepower and torque and the RS6 has way more of both to ever lose that battle. If the actual figures end up at 450ps and 460Nm then it will postion itself just behind the C63 but ahead of the M3, the big unkown is the S/Tronic gearbox and whether it will receive launch control and how it's gear ratios will differ from the S4, plus how different will it's shift mapping be, if they get all of these right with 7 gear being a true top speed and not purely economy then it might just pip the C63 in a drag race.

Will it out handle all of them? Again a no brainer. ;)

RXBG
March 31st, 2009, 15:23
Are you meaning acceleration and topspeed or is it on the track. On the track I think that is a no brainer but highly doubt it will match or even get close to the RS6 in acceleration, maybe up to 80~90mph the two will be close but after that it's a war of horsepower and torque and the RS6 has way more of both to ever lose that battle. If the actual figures end up at 450ps and 460Nm then it will postion itself just behind the C63 but ahead of the M3, the big unkown is the S/Tronic gearbox and whether it will receive launch control and how it's gear ratios will differ from the S4, plus how different will it's shift mapping be, if they get all of these right with 7 gear being a true top speed and not purely economy then it might just pip the C63 in a drag race.

a big 2nd on everything.

will hand them their a$$es on the track. straight line- not as fast as the C63 or RS6 except if DSG is specially tuned. what i am really curious about is the fuel consumption. if audi can somehow eliminate the GG tax it'll say volumes about the quality of the engine/engineering...

i wonder if audi will introduce it before frankfurt.

artur777
March 31st, 2009, 15:32

It will be a big dissapointment for RS5 to be slower than C63 AMG:-)

RXBG
March 31st, 2009, 15:56

problem is C63 has enormous torque. cant overcome that with 330 ft/lbs and awd loss. on the other hand, mb is indicating it will be going for lighter less powerful cars in the future- so the next C63 will be lighter but not as fast perhaps.

C63 will win drag races, and only at triple digit speeds- so it'll be good for those redneck dragracers in dubai to post on youtube but not much else. i'll pass on the C63.

KresoF1
March 31st, 2009, 16:06

Back to your original question-will RS5 be faster then RS6?

Hope that Qisha will approve this... RS5 will be faster acceleration wise then R8 4.2 FSI. Why? Key words are new engine, AWD optimisation and S Tronic(in very sporty version).

R8 4.2 FSI and TT RS Coupe official 0-100km/h is 4.6s, RS5 will be faster...

Hint, just look at Panamera Turbo-PDK is doing wonders there in terms of acceleration. NO reason that sporty S Tronic do the SAME for RS5...

Track wise it will be faster then RS6, C63, M3 e92 and some other sportscars. It will be great car.

Oh, weight... It will be on current S5 level in worst case scenario.

RXBG
March 31st, 2009, 16:09

Hope that Qisha will approve this... RS5 will be faster acceleration wise then R8 4.2 FSI. Why? Key words are new engine, AWD optimisation and S Tronic(in very sporty version).

Hint, just look at Panamera Turbo-PDK is doing wonders there in terms of acceleration. NO reason that sporty S Tronic do the SAME for RS5...

Track wise it will be faster then RS6, C63, M3 e92 and some other sportscars. It will be great car.

i expect audi will put the same engine in the 2011 R8. then it WILL be a matter of gearbox regarding acceleration times. it is possible it could be faster.. will be interesting to see.

KresoF1
March 31st, 2009, 16:09
problem is C63 has enormous torque. cant overcome that with 330 ft/lbs and awd loss. on the other hand, mb is indicating it will be going for lighter less powerful cars in the future- so the next C63 will be lighter but not as fast perhaps.

C63 will win drag races, and only at triple digit speeds- so it'll be good for those redneck dragracers in dubai to post on youtube but not much else. i'll pass on the C63.

I agree with you.

C63 is very fast on straight line(dry) acceleration. Just, it is not fun at all around corners, even with 030 Performance Package(LSD included).

artur777
March 31st, 2009, 16:13

Interesting - but R8 is lighter than RS5 - will this matter?

KresoF1
March 31st, 2009, 16:16
Interesting - but R8 is lighter than RS5 - will this matter?

No, again, I am talking about S Tronic which is close relative to Porsche's PDK.

Of course, R8 5.2 FSI is class for itself here.

If everything is done right(little faith in quattro Gmbh) RS5 will be great car.

RXBG
March 31st, 2009, 16:36
i don't see it being any lighter than the S5 honestly. with the upgraded suspension, et al it will have and weight loss here and there it'll break even. like the GTR, this car's major performance ingredient will be the transmission and sports differential.

artur777
March 31st, 2009, 17:49
No, again, I am talking about S Tronic which is close relative to Porsche's PDK.

Of course, R8 5.2 FSI is class for itself here.

If everything is done right(little faith in quattro Gmbh) RS5 will be great car.

If S Tronic is that good I believe you.
But why don't you believe in RS5 being faster than C63?

RS6 is faster than E63 for example

KresoF1
March 31st, 2009, 17:59
Yes, RS6 is faster then old E63.

C63 fastest 0-200km/h is 14.2s... I think that RS5 will do 0-200km/h in 14.8s-15.2s....

BTW, RS5 point is not straight line speed(it will be fast enough in straight line-it is S Tronic forte...), BUT excellent overall drive dynamics. According to my info RS5 will be at least 1s faster around Hockenheim then current RS6 sedan. RS6 sedan time is 1:15,2min...
It is the same time as C63 AMG(with 030 Package) and M3 Limousine.

Leadfoot
March 31st, 2009, 18:44
Yes, RS6 is faster then old E63.

C63 fastest 0-200km/h is 14.2s... I think that RS5 will do 0-200km/h in 14.8s-15.2s....

BTW, RS5 point is not straight line speed(it will be fast enough in straight line-it is S Tronic forte...), BUT excellent overall drive dynamics. According to my info RS5 will be at least 1s faster around Hockenheim then current RS6 sedan. RS6 sedan time is 1:15,2min...
It is the same time as C63 AMG(with 030 Package) and M3 Limousine.

I haven't heard any word yet on it's possible Hockenheim time but expect it to post something similar to the (much lighter and better suited to this track) TT/RS. Where the RS5 will really score big time is on tracks where carrying speed through the corner is important and most corners are not overly tight, tracks like Silverstone and probably the ring. In fact I would go as far as say that if the RS5 doesn't break the 8 min barrier on the ring I will eat my shorts and post a picture of my naked butt on the forum. :blush: How embarrassing.

P.S.
Kerso, your estimate for the 200km/h time is roughly the same as I am predicting, maybe even slightly quicker if Audi are playing silly buggers and being pessimistic with it's 'official' figure. ;)

artur777
March 31st, 2009, 19:05
I haven't heard any word yet on it's possible Hockenheim time but expect it to post something similar to the (much lighter and better suited to this track) TT/RS. Where the RS5 will really score big time is on tracks where carrying speed through the corner is important and most corners are not overly tight, tracks like Silverstone and probably the ring. In fact I would go as far as say that if the RS5 doesn't break the 8 min barrier on the ring I will eat my shorts and post a picture of my naked butt on the forum. :blush: How embarrassing.

P.S.
Kerso, your estimate for the 200km/h time is roughly the same as I am predicting, maybe even slightly quicker if Audi are playing silly buggers and being pessimistic with it's 'official' figure. ;)

Leadfoot, we will remember your promise in case it is slower than 8 mins time:hahahehe:

BTW - it will be a little bit faster than M3 - and post times about 14.5 sec for 0-200. But it wouldn't be faster than M6 with 500 hp and roughly the same weight which posted about 13,5 secs.

RXBG
March 31st, 2009, 20:44
leadfoot.

if you post such a pic you will be banned for life.

i already feel nauseated at the thought of (_)(_)

:hihi:

srsly- i think it'll be faster than the M3 coupe around the ring. and probably cost about the same.

The RS6
March 31st, 2009, 21:56
hahah easy to give out such a promise when you know that actually noone here wants to see your nude backside :D

Ruergard
March 31st, 2009, 23:03
I just can't wait to see this car, the specifications so far are comming up nicely.

If the weight is kept in check and the DSG is in there for real this thing will run four rings around some cars. :king:

audi_ch
April 1st, 2009, 08:44
P.S.

you mean as pessimistic as with the official time for the r8 v8 14,9 sec up to 200 kmh, witch he hardly never reatched in any test...

few german test, Sportauto supertest 16,9 sec, ams test 15,8 sec.. etc

Leadfoot
April 1st, 2009, 11:10
you mean as pessimistic as with the official time for the r8 v8 14,9 sec up to 200 kmh, witch he hardly never reatched in any test...

The R8 times are an oddity amoung recent Audi official figures for their cars and what road testers actually achieve. The RS6, S5, S4, TT/S among others have all proved capable of matching or bettering official times so I don't have a logical answer to the R8 times.

One thing I will say is that every car since the R8v8 have matched or bettered offiicial figures so I doubt thing will change from this any time soon. But if it makes you sleep better at night with the opinion that the RS5 Won't match official estimates (when released) and thus won't be quicker than the M3 then so be it.

KresoF1
April 1st, 2009, 11:54

Fastest R8 4.2 FSI was tested by Auto Bild Sportscar Edition, 0-200km/h in 15.2s... That test example car had around 10000km on clock, all other examples were in very low km's... Same story as with RS4, that NA engine needs some kms to open up fully...

LittleDevil
April 1st, 2009, 12:12
Found ome more on other forum... Some more pics from the track?

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr274/quattrojoe/Picture9.png

audi_ch
April 1st, 2009, 12:33
But if it makes you sleep better at night with the opinion that the RS5 Won't match official estimates (when released) and thus won't be quicker than the M3 then so be it.

doesnt make me sleep better, but if we wanne be correct we have to be correct. By the way first test of the r8 v10 was slightly over the 12 secs..

just to be correct....

@Kerso, no not all tested v8 were low km, remember one with over
22000km witcht definitly didnt match the time

We all now the na engine v8 of audi had a certain performance problem witch was due to the air conduct in and around the engine. (Simple missing air for the engine)

Apperently this problem is solved on the rs5, which should give him this time the reall 450 hps ewg

just

KresoF1
April 1st, 2009, 12:53
doesnt make me sleep better, but if we wanne be correct we have to be correct. By the way first test of the r8 v10 was slightly over the 12 secs..

just to be correct....

@Kerso, no not all tested v8 were low km, remember one with over
22000km witcht definitly didnt match the time

We all now the na engine v8 of audi had a certain performance problem witch was due to the air conduct in and around the engine. (Simple missing air for the engine)

Apperently this problem is solved on the rs5, which should give him this time the reall 450 hps ewg

just

I agree with you till some point... Current Audi NA engines indeed needs more kms to achieve factory figures. Turbos on the other hand do not. Just, the same thing is with other car manufactures... Most Turbo engines produce more power then in specs(specially press cars).

BTW, my name is Kreso, not Kerso as Leadie write all the time...

Leadfoot
April 1st, 2009, 13:38
Sorry about that Kreso.

@Audi_ch

Are you going to be picky over a 0.1s difference from test result vs official. I look forward to plenty more results to see if this is normal or just a one off, either way it's a very quick car.

Another thing, the 997 should hold an advantage off the line, it's got greater traction but you will notice that the R8 doesn't lose any time between the 100-200km/h section so I'm guessing it will pull ahead as the speeds increase.

audi_ch
April 1st, 2009, 15:47
Sorry about that Kreso.

@Audi_ch

Are you going to be picky over a 0.1s difference from test result vs official. I look forward to plenty more results to see if this is normal or just a one off, either way it's a very quick car.

Another thing, the 997 should hold an advantage off the line, it's got greater traction but you will notice that the R8 doesn't lose any time between the 100-200km/h section so I'm guessing it will pull ahead as the speeds increase.

sorry dont get that, based on those figures:

3.7s and 11.9s 911 Turbo
3.9s and 12.1s R8 5.2 FSI

the turbo is faster up to 100kmh, as fast as r8 up to 200kmh.

neither turbo or r8 loses ground between 100-200kmh.

So how you get to the conclusion the turbo looses ground at higher speed...

I think you should just be more realistic, there is not only audi witch do fast or faster cars a few other brands do that as well and even better

And since we know that the turbo is faster with the manuel gearing then with his old 5 speed automatic box, i just hope r8 had the manuel as well, otherwise we should wait for the new 911 turbo with double clutch.

Still in this case i would definitly go for the turbo, not only becaus of his great tunning potential.

anyway, i dont see in this test how the r8 get the turbo in strightline acceleration. Around the corse the new r8 is favoret.

audi_ch
April 1st, 2009, 15:51
I agree with you till some point... Current Audi NA engines indeed needs more kms to achieve factory figures. Turbos on the other hand do not. Just, the same thing is with other car manufactures... Most Turbo engines produce more power then in specs(specially press cars).

BTW, my name is Kreso, not Kerso as Leadie write all the time...

sorry Kreso for the name mistaken..

of course the na high reving engines need km to develope the horsepower.

Some of the v8 Rs4b7 enigines needet almost 30000km to develop their ouput.

But 22 000 km to messure the r8 is fair enoug isnt it. And it is neither our problem nor any owner problem if audi has this kind of powerplant problems...

and yes with turbos, remember my old rs4b5 had 400 hps (ewg) in stanard trim...

So therefor i am a turbo friend

Leadfoot
April 1st, 2009, 16:51
sorry dont get that, based on those figures:

3.7s and 11.9s 911 Turbo
3.9s and 12.1s R8 5.2 FSI

the turbo is faster up to 100kmh, as fast as r8 up to 200kmh.

neither turbo or r8 loses ground between 100-200kmh.

So how you get to the conclusion the turbo looses ground at higher speed...

I think you should just be more realistic, there is not only audi witch do fast or faster cars a few other brands do that as well and even better

And since we know that the turbo is faster with the manuel gearing then with his old 5 speed automatic box, i just hope r8 had the manuel as well, otherwise we should wait for the new 911 turbo with double clutch.

Still in this case i would definitly go for the turbo, not only becaus of his great tunning potential.

anyway, i dont see in this test how the r8 get the turbo in strightline acceleration. Around the corse the new r8 is favoret.

It's a generally acknowledged that an engine that revs higher and produces most of it's power and torque at these higher revs the balance of acceleration starts to tip in it's favour at higher speeds.

I am not saying conclusively that the R8v10 will always be the quicker as these speeds increase but if we exclude the PDK from this discussion I believe that the R8 will more times than not prove to be first to the 280km/h point.

audi_ch
April 1st, 2009, 17:04
Sorry didnt get that.

The high reving engine will turn to its max at every gear to reatch his maximum output.

So why should he not get at 100 or 200kmh to his power why he must go to 280kmh to win.

Say the 911 has better traction up to 100kmh, does mean both cars has the same output. 100-200 equal, no advantage of traction for the 911, so both car the same output.

So why should it be different up from 200-300kmh, why should be a na high reving engine better on high speed, with high rmp than on lower speed with the same high rpm.

There could just be that mor airpressure (ram air) goes to the intake of the high reaving na engine, but the same happend to the turbo as well, higher speed mor ram air..

Sorry didnt get it, may you explain the general knowledge missing to me.

I think way more an effect will have the drag, and devloping downforce drag than the engine concept..

KresoF1
April 1st, 2009, 17:44
Guys,
997 Turbo 0-300km/h is 40.7s-tested by AMS two years ago. Current examples from MY09 are at least as fast. NO Gallardo LP560-4 was able to touch that time, in fact fastest LP560-4 did 0-300km/h in around 44s...

...and lets end discussion about R8, 997 Turbo etc. This thread is about RS5.

audi_ch
April 1st, 2009, 18:12
Kreso agree completly with you, but probably not leadfoot.
There were even a few test with the standard turbo, manuel gearing under 40 sec.
GT2 had 35 secs in standart version.

What i wanted to know was why in his eye a normal aspirated high reaving eninge on higher speeds should performe better than a turbo, given acceleration from 0-200 is on both car the same. Doesnt make sens at all..

artur777
April 1st, 2009, 19:24
Kreso agree completly with you, but probably not leadfoot.
There were even a few test with the standard turbo, manuel gearing under 40 sec.
GT2 had 35 secs in standart version.

What i wanted to know was why in his eye a normal aspirated high reaving eninge on higher speeds should performe better than a turbo, given acceleration from 0-200 is on both car the same. Doesnt make sens at all..

the acceleration after 250 km/h is all in wheel torque and aerodynamics.
wheel torque is derivative from gearing - 5, 6 or 7 speed means much more than in accelerating up to 250 km/h
look at M6 - it is faster after 250 km/h than most cars which are faster than M6 before 250 km/h. Youtube proves that. For example, F430 is that car.

youry
April 2nd, 2009, 00:33
Is somebody ready to bet their lives on the fact that the engine on RS5 is a 4.2 NA engine ? or is there still any sort of cahnce it will be a twin turbo engine ?

audi_ch
April 2nd, 2009, 08:06
the acceleration after 250 km/h is all in wheel torque and aerodynamics.
wheel torque is derivative from gearing - 5, 6 or 7 speed means much more than in accelerating up to 250 km/h
look at M6 - it is faster after 250 km/h than most cars which are faster than M6 before 250 km/h. Youtube proves that. For example, F430 is that car.

@artur777, yes of course, nothing else to say, but again my question why should the na r8v10 outperfome the slightly faster 911 turbo (to 200kmh) above 200kmh. turbo is 6 speed manuel, (automatic 5 speed,) R8v10 is 6 speed manuel or r-tronic, so there is no gearing advantage.

And i dont see the point of leadfoot, as he says the na high reving engine from the r8v10 should performe better than the turbo engine 911 at higher speed. (>200kmh)

Me question is just about his statement, witch i dont believe

Qisha
April 2nd, 2009, 10:11
Is somebody ready to bet their lives on the fact that the engine on RS5 is a 4.2 NA engine ? or is there still any sort of cahnce it will be a twin turbo engine ?

Dear youry,

would you bet if you cant fail? :asian:

Qisha

artur777
April 2nd, 2009, 10:57
@artur777, yes of course, nothing else to say, but again my question why should the na r8v10 outperfome the slightly faster 911 turbo (to 200kmh) above 200kmh. turbo is 6 speed manuel, (automatic 5 speed,) R8v10 is 6 speed manuel or r-tronic, so there is no gearing advantage.

And i dont see the point of leadfoot, as he says the na high reving engine from the r8v10 should performe better than the turbo engine 911 at higher speed. (>200kmh)

Me question is just about his statement, witch i dont believe

Aerodynamics - better drag coeff of r8
turbo mated with pdk will be faster all the time rgrd of gearing

Leadfoot
April 2nd, 2009, 11:14
I can't believe we are still going on about the final engine spec. It's a N/A engine......end of discussion.

Marv
April 2nd, 2009, 14:46
Just picked up on this thread so I'm a bit late to the party...

I was curious about the dry sump system. To my mind if you're designing a car from the top and you have a dry sump engine, you can mount the engine lower in the chassis than if it is standard sump and benefit from lower centre of gravity that brings.

However, given the A5 is already out there, presumably the flywheel from a dry sump engine has to marry up with the gearbox in the same was as standard sump so it can't be mounted any lower:vhmmm: or am I talking out of my butt (which incidentally I will not be photgraphing to post on the forum)

Marv

QuattroFun
April 5th, 2009, 08:20
Hmm, apart from sexy looks, everything points to the RS5 being the RS showcase for how use all the new tech up their sleeve and is really worth waiting for - for Audi, first proper application of the DSG, a high-revving V8 with proper specific output and all the necessary works and the sport diff used as an advantage - not just an equaliser/neutraliser like in S4. So who cares if the C63 is marginally faster on the summer autobahn? Not me at least

BigRick
April 6th, 2009, 02:39
Hmm, apart from sexy looks, everything points to the RS5 being the RS showcase for how use all the new tech up their sleeve and is really worth waiting for - for Audi, first proper application of the DSG, a high-revving V8 with proper specific output and all the necessary works and the sport diff used as an advantage - not just an equaliser/neutraliser like in S4. So who cares if the C63 is marginally faster on the summer autobahn? Not me at least

Me neither... no autobahn here anyway :)
But I must say the C63 does have a nice look and an even better sound!

LittleDevil
April 8th, 2009, 08:03
Some new pics from the track.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Audi-A5/239438/

Can't wait for that car :D

tailpipe
April 9th, 2009, 13:08
Opinion among motoring journalists seems to be divided about whether the RS5's engine is naturally aspirated or a twin-turbo. The truth is no-one really knows. Audi is being very tight-lipped about the spec.

When the latest RS4 model was released, Audi was similarly secretive. We all thought it was going to get a naturally aspirated version of the old 4.2 litre V8 lump not the new FSI version that was reported to be under development for the A8.

With the present economic and environmental climates, continued use of the naturally aspirated 4.2 V8 FSI doesn't seem to make sense. In theory, a blown version of the same engine could achieve the same bhp with much better emissions and economy. So i am almost certain we're going to get a very pleasant surprise about the engine. Yes, I mean the 4.0 litre TFSI V8.

The Pretender
April 9th, 2009, 14:53
http://spyshots.nl/userfiles/image/artikel/origineel/rs5-9_0949152749.JPG

http://spyshots.nl/SpyShots/De_Audi_RS5_is_klaar

Jarod.

Leadfoot
April 9th, 2009, 15:48
Opinion among motoring journalists seems to be divided about whether the RS5's engine is naturally aspirated or a twin-turbo. The truth is no-one really knows. Audi is being very tight-lipped about the spec.

When the latest RS4 model was released, Audi was similarly secretive. We all thought it was going to get a naturally aspirated version of the old 4.2 litre V8 lump not the new FSI version that was reported to be under development for the A8.

With the present economic and environmental climates, continued use of the naturally aspirated 4.2 V8 FSI doesn't seem to make sense. In theory, a blown version of the same engine could achieve the same bhp with much better emissions and economy. So i am almost certain we're going to get a very pleasant surprise about the engine. Yes, I mean the 4.0 litre TFSI V8.

I have been a strong vocal person regarding the belief it will be a N/A version of the existing RS4 but recent situations have raised doubts in this belief. It's almost certain that BMW's next M3 will be using some form of blown technology and many believe it will only be 6 and not 8 cylinders, I have heard the word KERS mentioned in magazines as a way of boosting the output without losing economy or emissions so maybe given this possibility that Audi are running two possible options for the RS5 and may decide right at the last minute.

tailpipe
April 9th, 2009, 19:38
I have been a strong vocal person regarding the belief it will be a N/A version of the existing RS4 but recent situations have raised doubts in this belief. It's almost certain that BMW's next M3 will be using some form of blown technology and many believe it will only be 6 and not 8 cylinders, I have heard the word KERS mentioned in magazines as a way of boosting the output without losing economy or emissions so maybe given this possibility that Audi are running two possible options for the RS5 and may decide right at the last minute.

What engine would you ideally like to see in the RS5?

The Pretender
April 9th, 2009, 20:32
What engine would you ideally like to see in the RS5?

The new R5T 2.5TFSI engine with 400+ hp.

Jarod.

tailpipe
April 9th, 2009, 23:33
The new R5T 2.5TFSI engine with 400+ hp.

Jarod.

:nono:

Why? Wouldn't such an engine make it no more than a TT with 4 seats? Surely, it's got to have a V8? or at least a V6?

Leadfoot
April 10th, 2009, 08:34
This time round Audi can't make it light enough to really scale back on capacity or output so if they downsize to a V6 then it would need some serious boost, so in my opinion if it isn't a N/A V8 of seriously high revs it has to be at least 4.0L and blown.

I favour a supercharger because of weight and more instant response.

AndyBG
April 10th, 2009, 11:09
I think this time around Audi will go with 4.2l N/A. Next M3 will come with forced induction engine, but it is still some four years away. Merc's E coupe AMG will come with 6.2l N/A, so Audi bringing turbo engine to this class now would be some forward thinking, but we all know that Audi will be following the patern.

tailpipe
April 10th, 2009, 12:33
On closer examination, the cladding on the RS5 mule seems to reveal extended bodywork that is close to that of the RS6. Great. i like it, not just because it looks masculine and aggressive in the way a supercoupe should, but also because it echoes the original Quattro. in many respects, this car will indeed be an exact spiritual successor to the legend.

Andy BG, i object to your comment that Audi will follow the pack instead of lead it. I think the S4 has already shown that Audi is brave enough to do something different. None of us really knows what the RS5 has under its hood. But whatever it is, I don't think it is going to be a generic engine like the AMG 6.2 V8 lump. That engine is so 'old school'. Right now the VW group is making some of the very best engines IMHO. With the RS5 being some kind of flagship for the brand, an on a par with the R8, I think it'll pack something special and innovative.

The Pretender
April 10th, 2009, 12:40
On closer examination, the cladding on the RS5 mule seems to reveal extended bodywork that is close to that of the RS6. Great. i like it, not just because it looks masculine and aggressive in the way a supercoupe should, but also because it echoes the original Quattro. in many respects, this car will indeed be an exact spiritual successor to the legend. .
And that would be complete with a R5T 2.5TFSI engine. ;)

Jarod.

KresoF1
April 10th, 2009, 12:50
Engine is already decided. There is even a model code...

The Pretender
April 10th, 2009, 12:59
I know, but a man can dream nevertheless. ;)

Jarod.

AndyBG
April 10th, 2009, 13:04
Andy BG, i object to your comment that Audi will follow the pack instead of lead it. I think the S4 has already shown that Audi is brave enough to do something different. None of us really knows what the RS5 has under its hood. But whatever it is, I don't think it is going to be a generic engine like the AMG 6.2 V8 lump. That engine is so 'old school'. Right now the VW group is making some of the very best engines IMHO. With the RS5 being some kind of flagship for the brand, an on a par with the R8, I think it'll pack something special and innovative.

Ok, you have a point there, but I still think that RS 5 will feature 4.2 N/A.

Of course, I expect it to be SOTA N/A engine, possibly, one of the best N/As of all time... After all, I think that we can all agree that big, high reving N/A engines in serial cars are thing of past.

The Pretender
April 10th, 2009, 13:19
Ok, you have a point there, but I still think that RS 5 will feature 4.2 N/A.

Of course, I expect it to be SOTA N/A engine, possibly, one of the best N/As of all time... After all, I think that we can all agree that big, high reving N/A engines in serial cars are thing of past.
Based on former info i have, i would not buy a RS5 at all.
It's a hodgepodge of former Audi parts and not the best one's IMHO.
The car will not be cutting edge technology wise, to much old school.

Jarod.

artur777
April 10th, 2009, 13:54
And that would be complete with a R5T 2.5TFSI engine. ;)

Jarod.

BS.
Sorry.

artur777
April 10th, 2009, 13:57

We know that.
Just the car will be a little bit outdated since its launch.

Look at new BMW 4.4l Bi-Turbo with 555hp. It's very interesting engine comparing to very close 4.2l Audi engine in size.

AndyBG
April 10th, 2009, 14:11
Look at new BMW 4.4l Bi-Turbo with 555hp. It's very interesting engine comparing to very close 4.2l Audi engine in size.

Audi will respond to this engine, but not in RS 5...

KresoF1
April 10th, 2009, 15:28
We know that.

Here is the question for you-why is state-of-the-art NA 4.2 FSI HDZ an outdated engine?
Because you are BMW fan? Or because you feel that current SOTA engine must be turbo?

How about this-one of the best engines currently on the market is 5000ccm V8 kompressor in Jaguar XKR. I have in-depth file about that engine and it is truly awsome piece of technology.

What BMW M did in X5/6M is simply Alpina like engine tuning, nothing more. Yes, it is good engine but, I do not think that it is something special... Only IMHO interesting BMW engine is in new 760i.

The Pretender
April 10th, 2009, 15:42
BS.
Sorry.
I rate the new 2.5 TFSI inline five cylinder engine 10x higher then every V8 engine Audi ever made.
i don't like V8's never have never will.

Jarod.

andreadebi
April 10th, 2009, 16:03
Here is the question for you-why is state-of-the-art NA 4.2 FSI HDZ an outdated engine?
Because you are BMW fan? Or because you feel that current SOTA engine must be turbo?

How about this-one of the best engines currently on the market is 5000ccm V8 kompressor in Jaguar XKR. I have in-depth file about that engine and it is truly awsome piece of technology.

What BMW M did in X5/6M is simply Alpina like engine tuning, nothing more. Yes, it is good engine but, I do not think that it is something special... Only IMHO interesting BMW engine is in new 760i.

760i for me is underpowered...6.0L...544hp..ok for NA...but it's a biturbo engine... 4.4 biturbo is @ 555....

artur777
April 10th, 2009, 16:16

what is special about this Jaguar engine?
and 760i also? doesn't it seem underpowered?

Leadfoot
April 10th, 2009, 16:52
We know that.

I don't understand how you could class the RS5 as outdated with a N/A engine. :confused: Almost all the supercars on sale today are N/A powered and only a handful are as advanced as the engine destined for the RS5.

Now if you were to say that a N/A engine wasn't a product of the current thinking caused by environmental reasons then I would agree with you, but rested assured the new engine is the most advanced of it's type and well ahead of anything that BMW or Mercedes are producing.

I'm starting to consider the very real possibility that the RS5 and RS4 will run totally different engines. The RS5 only being around for 2 possibly 3 years and running a N/A engine with the RS4 being introduced as the RS5 approaches the second half of it's production cycle and using a new 4.0L either Bi-turboed or supercharger unit.

RXBG
April 10th, 2009, 17:00
it will be N/A in the RS5. decision made some time ago. engine HAD to be able to go into the R8, the RS5 handling is THAT good.

R8 successor will accept a TT powerplant. current design needs enormous reengineering to do so- even the venturi vents on the roof won't cut it.

planning now will allow audi to place a V8 TT or V6 twincharged gem of some kind into the next gayardo, R8, AND B9 RS4/5.

and yes- the B8 RS4/5 will use the same engine.

The Pretender
April 10th, 2009, 17:12
That is alway's a problem with mid engined cars, to get the hot air out and enough cool air in.
The best solution will be the new Supercharged engines they produce less heat then a twin turbo.

Jarod.

KresoF1
April 10th, 2009, 17:17
what is special about this Jaguar engine?
and 760i also? doesn't it seem underpowered?

Jaguar 5.0L kompressor engine? It is the best mixture of refinament, power, torque delivery and layout for V8. As overall package together with SOTA 6speed automatic from ZF(collaboration between Jag and ZF) it is ultimate sports GT(or sport saloon in XFR case).
For your info XFR did 0-200km/h in 14.3s in latest Auto Zeitung and lighter XKR is even faster...
Also both engines fullfill EU5.

Same story about 760i. Point is not peak power, but overall package. At least IMO.

RXBG
April 10th, 2009, 18:00
new jag komp engine is awesome. already thinking about upgrading our range rover supercharged to the facelift model with this engine. but decided to wait till full mocel change a la LRX in MY 2012...

artur777
April 10th, 2009, 18:03

Too consumptive really.
Eerything else - is nice & genious. It's an engine of modern day, not future one.

artur777
April 10th, 2009, 18:04
Jaguar 5.0L kompressor engine? It is the best mixture of refinament, power, torque delivery and layout for V8. As overall package together with SOTA 6speed automatic from ZF(collaboration between Jag and ZF) it is ultimate sports GT(or sport saloon in XFR case).
For your info XFR did 0-200km/h in 14.3s in latest Auto Zeitung and lighter XKR is even faster...
Also both engines fullfill EU5.

Same story about 760i. Point is not peak power, but overall package. At least IMO.

Is it tunable one?:king:

KresoF1
April 10th, 2009, 18:39
Is it tunable one?:king:

NO.

Just, let me ask you-who is tuning 100K € car? :vhmmm::confused:

I will keep my opinon about that person for myself...:eye:

ben916
April 10th, 2009, 19:37
Just, let me ask you-who is tuning 100K € car?

Gemballa,
MTM,
AMG,
Shelby

to name a few with like 1 second of thought.

KresoF1
April 10th, 2009, 19:52
Gemballa,
MTM,
AMG,
Shelby

to name a few with like 1 second of thought.

That is the wrong answer since my point is-who(person/owner) is tuning 100K € car?

LittleDevil
April 10th, 2009, 20:04
Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdbisUybNNc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulQiwk5bO-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ273a1dxK4

Qisha
April 10th, 2009, 20:16
Dear Friends,

there is a big difference between a tuner and a manufacturer. Please keep this in mind.

You can expect all AMG, M-GmbH and quattro GmbH products to be the most advanced product at the time of release within each portfolio and class. Not every product will match everyones taste or likes. We all need to get used to see different evolutions in the future...

As far as the RS5 is concerned, if you take it from the performance level, you can rate it between the M3 and M6. How ever this is achieved is a nice form of anticipation... :jlol:

The RS5 and the RS4 will not share the same set-up... as there wont be a RS4 B8. Dont be sad the RS4 B9 will be beyond expectations... again in several ways. :thumb:

I rate the BMW 4.4 Twin Turbo and Jaguars new Supercharged V8 both as the most advanced V8s on the market right now. A masterpiece of engineering would be a combined- twincharged engine...

Qisha

The RS6
April 11th, 2009, 06:23
A masterpiece of engineering would be a combined- twincharged engine...

Qisha

I hope that is a small hint there Mr. Qisha is giving us... :hahahehe::mech:

LittleDevil
April 11th, 2009, 09:45

Mybe, or not :D

The Pretender
April 11th, 2009, 10:26
Twincharging as in Supercharger/turbo is not a V engine thing.
VAG only use twincharging on small 1.4 litre engine's.
Even the 2.5 litre R5T twincharger rumour stay a rumour.
If you know Audi's reason for a V6 Supercharger you know there will not be a Twincharged V engine.
Because in that case the whole V6 supercharged development was a waste of time.
The 5.0TFSI V10 RS6 engine is most lijkely the last old style twin turbo V engine of Audi.
The future V6, V8 and V10 Audi engine's will all be Supercharged or on top twin turbo. IMHO.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
April 11th, 2009, 11:05
Maybe the future RS models will use a version of the R5 only combined with twincharging.

The Pretender
April 11th, 2009, 11:25
Maybe the future RS models will use a version of the R5 only combined with twincharging.
I can't imagine that Audi developed this engine only for the TT RS and future RS3. :vhmmm:

Jarod.

RXBG
April 11th, 2009, 14:48
i DO believe Qisha's assertion. a twincharged set up with FSI and valvelift would be something to brag about. this concept is coming, big time. where it will appear first in the audi line up i do not know- but likely in a low volume line as it makes most sense marketing -wise. people shoping for luxo cras want to know what that comapny is capable of- hence the R8- with trickle down technology and design features.

for example- i expect the new A8 to employ a HVAC/gauge system similar to the new range rover's- fully adaptable LCD maybe even with star trek like touch screen capability.

exciting things are coming.

The Pretender
April 11th, 2009, 14:56
a twincharged set up with FSI and valvelift would be something to brag about. this concept is coming, big time. where it will appear first in the audi line up i do not know- but likely in a low volume line as it makes most sense marketing -wise.
I hope to see that in next Gen Audi R?(5) mid engined sports car.
Like the one's planed Audi Sport quattro S2.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3788/audisportquattros2tn4.jpg

Jarod.

KresoF1
April 13th, 2009, 12:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfnZCLhLdq0

The Pretender
April 13th, 2009, 12:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfnZCLhLdq0
HDZ V8. ;)

Jarod.

AndyBG
April 13th, 2009, 17:26
4.2l...

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090412.003/audi-rs5-engine-rumours-surface

Leadfoot
April 13th, 2009, 18:43
HDZ V8. ;)

Jarod.

Are you sure. ;)

Only joking. :cheers:

LittleDevil
April 14th, 2009, 11:16
Any info about those wheels?

The Pretender
April 14th, 2009, 11:24
Any info about those wheels?

Yes they are the same as the TT RS ones, only darker coloured on this mule.

Jarod.

LittleDevil
April 14th, 2009, 11:28
Do you mean those wheels?

http://spots.autogespot.com/viewimages.php?id=c214748364808042009173940

Thanks

The Pretender
April 14th, 2009, 11:33
Do you mean those wheels?

http://spots.autogespot.com/viewimages.php?id=c214748364808042009173940

Thanks
No these.

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/albums//Audi/TT-TT%20Roadster/TT%20RS%20(a5)/Exterior%20-%20EU/008.jpg

Jarod.

Leadfoot
April 14th, 2009, 15:43
I wonder will this become an option on the RS5 or will it be similar to how the TT/RS test mule was, with the RS6 alloys being used during development but not offered as an option when the car is launched.

QuattroFun
April 14th, 2009, 21:07
I wonder if the RS5 will be DSG only. This is relevant for how well developed the whole package will be - one transmission, one go. Most reviewers seem to like the M3 manual better although the DCT is quoted faster, whereas nobody has said anything bad about the Ferrari California or GT-R as in whether the transmissions-engine-chassis interplay is right or not or demanded a manual for driver involvement.:vhmmm:

The Pretender
April 14th, 2009, 21:31
I can assure you, there will be a manual gearbox to.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
April 14th, 2009, 22:14
When over 95% of Ferraris sold are F1 transmission cars it very easy for Ferrari to take the decision of no manual with the California, as for the GTR well we are talking about the playstation generation now aren't we.

Most Europeans that have purchased this caliber of car have usually bought manual so to abandon those sales in the hope that these people will automatically switch to S/Tronic would be foolish. Best cover all bases, especially when you already have such a sweet manual in the S4.

tailpipe
April 15th, 2009, 10:46
Originally Posted by Qisha
" A masterpiece of engineering would be a combined- twincharged engine..."

Qisha

Indeed. I think we can expect a very interesting, totally unique and innovative technical solution. I don't know what it will be, but the odds against the RS6 having a regular nigh-revving naturally aspirated 4.2 V8 seems to be lengthening.

LittleDevil
April 15th, 2009, 11:02
Dear Friends,

As far as the RS5 is concerned, if you take it from the performance level, you can rate it between the M3 and M6. How ever this is achieved is a nice form of anticipation... :jlol:

A masterpiece of engineering would be a combined- twincharged engine...

Qisha

Interesting sentence, hope those are wrong who said 4163ccm HDZ V8 with 450ps/460Nm :jlol:

KresoF1
April 15th, 2009, 11:28
Interesting sentence, hope those are wrong who said 4163ccm HDZ V8 with 450ps/460Nm :jlol:

I think that you need to re-read original Qisha's post again...

LittleDevil
April 15th, 2009, 11:34
I think that you need to re-read original Qisha's post again...

I know, yoke... :thumb:

KresoF1
April 15th, 2009, 12:42
I know, yoke... :thumb:

BTW, you will wait for RS5 or will order R8 5.2 FSI?

LittleDevil
April 15th, 2009, 12:55
I will order R8 V10 on the end of the year, still don't know colour combination. I will also change S5 for black RS5 when it comes out.

What about you, already order V10 or...? You still didn't show pics of your R8. Do you have some of them? When I was in Zagreb last year I saw Silver R8, mybe it was yours? :)

KresoF1
April 15th, 2009, 13:17
I will order R8 V10 on the end of the year, still don't know colour combination. I will also change S5 for black RS5 when it comes out.

What about you, already order V10 or...? You still didn't show pics of your R8. Do you have some of them? When I was in Zagreb last year I saw Silver R8, mybe it was yours? :)

No, mine is not silver. I will try to make some decent pics in forthcoming weekend at Adriatic Coast and then I will post then next week to R8 section.

Your S5 is MY09 since it has rear LEDs. Nice...

LittleDevil
April 15th, 2009, 13:20
No, mine is not silver. I will try to make some decent pics in forthcoming weekend at Adriatic Coast and then I will post then next week to R8 section.

Your S5 is MY09 since it has rear LEDs. Nice...

Great!

I have car more than 1 year, we swap those lights at the delaer about month ago. I need to make some more and better pics.

Best Regards

Marv
April 16th, 2009, 13:49
Dear Friends,

The RS5 and the RS4 will not share the same set-up... as there wont be a RS4 B8. Dont be sad the RS4 B9 will be beyond expectations... again in several ways. :thumb:

Qisha

Qisha

You say there won't be a B8 RS4, are we expecting the B8 platform to run for a full 6 or 7 years like the B5 or will Audi move to B9 in just 3 or so years as a face lift on the same platform like they did with the B6/B7? If it runs for the full 6-7 years it will be very sad not to have an RS4 on this platform.

Marv

Bobbersmill
April 16th, 2009, 14:01
Anyway back on topic!!!
Any more news on the RS5?

LittleDevil
April 18th, 2009, 11:54
No these.

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/albums//Audi/TT-TT%20Roadster/TT%20RS%20%28a5%29/Exterior%20-%20EU/008.jpg

Jarod.

They are nice, any info about those wheels, size, ET...etc

thanks

TTDriver
April 18th, 2009, 15:00
This wheel is the
9x19 5-arm Rotor design Titanium 255/35-19 ET 52
On the TTRS they cost 1500€.

Leadfoot
April 19th, 2009, 09:21
Qisha

You say there won't be a B8 RS4, are we expecting the B8 platform to run for a full 6 or 7 years like the B5 or will Audi move to B9 in just 3 or so years as a face lift on the same platform like they did with the B6/B7? If it runs for the full 6-7 years it will be very sad not to have an RS4 on this platform.

Marv

I can't believe that we will be devoid of the RS4 for 6~7 years, Audi have a history of producing their RS models in Avant form and with the exception of the TT and A5 all were based of 4dr platforms.

I reckon the same as yourself that the B9 will be the face-lift model and will appear in another 3 years or so. Well that's my hope anyway. :rolleyes:

The Pretender
April 19th, 2009, 10:59
I can't believe that we will be devoid of the RS4 for 6~7 years, Audi have a history of producing their RS models in Avant form and with the exception of the TT and A5 all were based of 4dr platforms.

I reckon the same as yourself that the B9 will be the face-lift model and will appear in another 3 years or so. Well that's my hope anyway. :rolleyes:
There are indication there will only be A RS4 Avant B8, no sedan.
The RS5 take on the M3 coupe'.
The 4-door RS4 was only made for US market introduction because Ami's don't like avant's.

Jarod.

LittleDevil
April 23rd, 2009, 13:04
Info:

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_4820.shtml

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4343353&postid=57061770

Best Regards

tailpipe
April 23rd, 2009, 14:28
Little Devil,

This article tells us nothing, especially as it is supposedly based on a conversation that took place last year! They know nothing more than we do, in fact, they probably know less!

Leadfoot
April 23rd, 2009, 14:56
Little Devil,

This article tells us nothing, especially as it is supposedly based on a conversation that took place last year! They know nothing more than we do, in fact, they probably know less!

I wouldn't agree that they know less, their article is very similar to what myself and Kreso believe the RS5 will be. The question is do they know less than us. ;)

P.S.
I couldn't leave this one like that. Yeah they probably do know more. :D

LittleDevil
April 24th, 2009, 19:40
Another video:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1475282987?bclid=1475274950&bctid=20464714001

Leadfoot
April 26th, 2009, 15:44
This latest video shows a car with brilliant turn-in and a tail that appears to be quite playful. Watch earlier video clips of the RS5 during it's development and you will see how it has progressed since those early days.

KresoF1
April 27th, 2009, 12:45
New pics...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_613/car_photo_306780_25.jpg

Check out new wheel design...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_613/car_photo_306785_25.jpg

Interesting rear spoiler...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_613/car_photo_306784_25.jpg

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_613/car_photo_306783_25.jpg
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_613/car_photo_306782_25.jpg
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_613/car_photo_306781_25.jpg

The Pretender
April 27th, 2009, 12:55
Info say that the RS5 will have the same fixed rearwing as the TT RS and a no cost delete option to the retractable.

Jarod.

Qisha
April 27th, 2009, 13:03
Dear Friends,

automatic folding wing... "more likely". ;)

Qisha

Erik
April 27th, 2009, 13:24
It's becoming more and more Porsche like :D

LittleDevil
April 27th, 2009, 13:48
Hmm spoiler :hihi: I really like front brakes :jlol:

rs4some
April 27th, 2009, 13:52
those guards look rubbish. Car has completely lost the aggressive appearance of RS models like the RS4 had with its rounded guards as it doesn't look all that much more different than a S5

The Pretender
April 27th, 2009, 13:54
Hmm spoiler :hihi: I really like front brakes :jlol:
Look like ceramics, The RS5 will need them because it will be a heavy weight (1630++ kg) like the RS6.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
April 27th, 2009, 15:01
Dear Friends,

automatic folding wing... "more likely". ;)

Qisha

Well that was one thing that CAR magazine got right with their Photoshop images, as well as the fenders which appear to be very similar to the RS6 in design.

Look like ceramics, The RS5 will need them because it will be a heavy weight (1630++ kg) like the RS6.

Jarod.

I suspect the weight to be very similar to the S5 but with the use of alloy in fenders and bonnet, plus a sprinkling of CF (maybe) around the nose to improve the overall weight balance of the car. I think the best one can hope for is a weight reduction of maybe 30~50Kgs tops.

As for the actual handling of this test example, things are looks very promising and in no way does it appear to be sluggish on turn-in.

Leadfoot
April 27th, 2009, 15:48
Qisha,

What's the rumours of a CSL type RS5 coming in 2012. According to WCF it's said to be running a 425hp V6 Bi-turbo weighing only 1400kg, that would if true give the RS5(lightweight) and incredible power to weight ratio plus enable it to corner with the best of them.

Audi are bucking the trend with their hi-performance programme which when all other seem to be holding back to see what the market will do they are increasing their range of models.

Maybe they see the economy returning sooner than we think.

roadrunner
April 27th, 2009, 16:13
New pics...

Check out new wheel design...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_613/car_photo_306785_25.jpg

Good eye KresoF1, wanted to post it myself - missed your pointing out at first. :hihi:

Lools like a variation of the C6 RS6 wheel, but with less "feminin" curves - more straight surfaces :thumb:

The Pretender
April 27th, 2009, 17:06
Qisha,

What's the rumours of a CSL type RS5 coming in 2012. According to WCF it's said to be running a 425hp V6 Bi-turbo weighing only 1400kg, that would if true give the RS5(lightweight) and incredible power to weight ratio plus enable it to corner with the best of them.

Audi are bucking the trend with their hi-performance programme which when all other seem to be holding back to see what the market will do they are increasing their range of models.

Maybe they see the economy returning sooner than we think.
The German article talks about shortened body like Sport Quattro if i not mistaken.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
April 27th, 2009, 17:12
The German article talks about shortened body like Sport Quattro if i not mistaken.

Jarod.

Didn't read the article, only what was in the WCF section. I don't see the point of shortening the RS5 body, in doing so would create a new model in it's own right plus make the rear seats useless.

I for one wouldn't buy it like this but then again there is others which would see this as a great idea.

One thing I did like was the use of a v6 unit instead of the v8, a definite step in the right direction.

The Pretender
April 27th, 2009, 17:17
One thing I did like was the use of a v6 unit instead of the v8, a definite step in the right direction.
Yes but i doubt it will be Bi-turbo, i say supercharged by "quattro GmbH".

Jarod.

QuattroFun
April 27th, 2009, 18:23
Looks very promising - but all the weight talk seem to be off again. For example, look at the R8 V8 - smaller car with all alloy chassis and body panels, carbon fibre side blades, no rear seats, no navi, electric seats, MR or B&O as std in the officially quoted weight, basically the same V8 and yet 1560kg dry curb. How could the RS5 possibly weigh anything even close to that figure given all the similar hardware and whistles and bells that has to go into it?

KresoF1
April 27th, 2009, 18:43
Looks very promising - but all the weight talk seem to be off again. For example, look at the R8 V8 - smaller car with all alloy chassis and body panels, carbon fibre side blades, no rear seats, no navi, electric seats, MR or B&O as std in the officially quoted weight, basically the same V8 and yet 1560kg dry curb. How could the RS5 possibly weigh anything even close to that figure given all the similar hardware and whistles and bells that has to go into it?

Answer is very simple-RS5 will weight as much as current S5. Just, point is not weight IMHO, but how will new RS5 work as a package. If quattro Gmbh do all the things right RS5 will be great car.

Leadfoot
April 27th, 2009, 18:52
Answer is very simple-RS5 will weight as much as current S5. Just, point is not weight IMHO, but how will new RS5 work as a package. If quattro Gmbh do all the things right RS5 will be great car.

The package is right, the new S4 is proof positive in that. I am pretty sure that the RS5 will have a slightly better balance of weight over each axle which though small will improve the way it turns into a corner and how the front end grips. When combined with the SportDiff it will prove to be more than a match for the likes of the M3 and C63.

I am more interested in it's choice of suspension, whether it will do something similar to the TT/RS in that sports suspension as standard and either MagneticRide or DRCIII as an option.

Qisha
April 27th, 2009, 20:39
Dear Leadfoot,

the future belongs to PTW and this is no longer achieved in raising the output. Further the cut will be greater than you expect... in several ways.

Qisha

crespo
April 27th, 2009, 23:09
Any word on magnetic ride, Qisha? That's the point I'm most interested in, even more so than the engine.

KresoF1
April 28th, 2009, 14:55
More pics from AMS. Intro is apparently Geneva 2010, 4.2 FSI HDZ and S Tronic(7speed)...
http://images.marken.auto-motor-und-sport.de/media/mdb/234399.jpg
http://images.marken.auto-motor-und-sport.de/media/mdb/234390.jpg
http://images.marken.auto-motor-und-sport.de/media/mdb/234392.jpg
http://images.marken.auto-motor-und-sport.de/media/mdb/234394.jpg
http://images.marken.auto-motor-und-sport.de/media/mdb/234395.jpg
http://images.marken.auto-motor-und-sport.de/media/mdb/234397.jpg
http://images.marken.auto-motor-und-sport.de/media/mdb/234401.jpg

LittleDevil
April 28th, 2009, 15:00
More pics from AMS. Intro is apparently Geneva 2010, 4.2 FSI HDZ and S Tronic(7speed)...

No manual??

AndyBG
April 28th, 2009, 15:19
...I think there will be manuall... No logical reason for it to be dissmised...

AndyBG
April 28th, 2009, 15:20
BTW, what's that round ''fog light like'' thing on the right side of the bumper...?

The Pretender
April 28th, 2009, 15:26
BTW, what's that round ''fog light like'' thing on the right side of the bumper...?
Adaptive cruise control.

Jarod.

RXBG
April 28th, 2009, 17:56
Dear Leadfoot,

the future belongs to PTW and this is no longer achieved in raising the output. Further the cut will be greater than you expect... in several ways.

Qisha

PTW???????????????????

on another note- interesting re: a deployable rear wing for the RS5. it will likely weight just a bit more than the S5 when all is said and done. but be luxurious and comfortable- too. the 110 hp and 20 of torque over the S5 will more than make up for the slightly increased weight...

QuattroFun
April 28th, 2009, 18:09

I do agree - but the big unknown is in what sense will it be a great car, i.e. what is the aim of the development work and what are the opportunities offered by the platform and hardware. Will it a great and sporty GT to beat the M6/M3/E-Coupe AMG or a real sports car that will shade the R8 V8 and 911 4S?

tailpipe
April 28th, 2009, 18:28
...but the big unknown is in what sense will it be a great car?

This is a very good question.

Without doubt it needs a level of performance that puts it on equal terms with the M3 and C63. It will get this without question.

But to be preferable to the BMW and Merc offerings, the RS5 must offer something else.

Audi ride comfort for performance models could be better. I am sure this too will be an area of improvement.

Reduced emissions and better economy have to be the next most desirable additional characteristics. If RS5 can give us 30 mpg and 220 g/km CO2, then it will be very cool indeed.

kip
April 28th, 2009, 22:13
Will it be only manual or finally with dsg?

The Pretender
April 28th, 2009, 22:20
Will it be only manual or finally with dsg?
Both 6-speed manual and 7-speed S-Tronic (DSG).

Marlo
April 29th, 2009, 08:23
The topic comes up in the last 2 minutes or so,(note how Johan uses the word "roots", much like the mystery vehicle press release), but while the car is still unconfirmed watching Johan contain his smile is proof enough. :applause:

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/show/1314

Erik
April 29th, 2009, 08:38
I'm sorry, but what does PTW mean again?

Qisha
April 29th, 2009, 09:13
I'm sorry, but what does PTW mean again?

Dear Erik,

PTW= power to weight. :thumb:

Qisha

artur777
April 29th, 2009, 09:21
Nice info from you , Qisha !

Regarding RS5 - it will fit the place right between M3 and M6 in terms of acceleration.
Track wise - it will be faster than both

Leadfoot
April 29th, 2009, 11:21
Nice info from you , Qisha !

Regarding RS5 - it will fit the place right between M3 and M6 in terms of acceleration.
Track wise - it will be faster than both

Qisha could answer this easily but probably won't, but it isn't that hard to work out now is it.

Estimated weight is roughly 1600-1650kgs, estimated horsepower is roughly 450-460hp and estimated torque will be 330-345ft/lbs. It will get a improved (software wise) verison of the 7sp S/Tronic with launch control and quicker shift pattern. So what I am basically saying is it will be above the M3 in acceleration but well below the M6. Oh and yes it will be quicker on the track than either of them, including the ring.

artur777
April 29th, 2009, 13:51
Qisha could answer this easily but probably won't, but it isn't that hard to work out now is it.

Estimated weight is roughly 1600-1650kgs, estimated horsepower is roughly 450-460hp and estimated torque will be 330-345ft/lbs. It will get a improved (software wise) verison of the 7sp S/Tronic with launch control and quicker shift pattern. So what I am basically saying is it will be above the M3 in acceleration but well below the M6. Oh and yes it will be quicker on the track than either of them, including the ring.

M3 DCT 0-200 km/h is about 15.5 sec
M6 0-200 km/h is about 13.5 sec

Leadfoot
April 29th, 2009, 14:19

Well there you go, you have a 2 second window to play with. ;)

OK, I predict the RS5 to post somewhere within 0.75 of the M3's time but at the very least it will break into the 14.?s. Oh and this time round you should see a sub 8 min lap.

I also expect it to command a 8~10% price premium over the old RS4 but be better specced to begin with.

RXBG
April 29th, 2009, 16:29
not so sure about the pp over the old RS4- at least here in the US- where i expect it'll actually cost less with relatively full spec.

Rutkowsky
April 29th, 2009, 20:19

Normally, it is between 12.5 - 13 seconds for the M6 and the best time to 0 - 100 km/h 4.2 done by (i forgot the name) German Television program.

Did you watch this Artur?

http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_tv/index.cfm?videoid=6c31e8668d004424950145bdc59eeb64&area=videos

Not bad at all, for a car that has such great daily usability (i mean big boot space and usable rear seats) The M6 is 2cm longer than e60 M5 too... :hihi:

Rutkowsky
April 29th, 2009, 20:21
Here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7v1aSYczgk

artur777
April 29th, 2009, 21:14
Normally, it is between 12.5 - 13 seconds for the M6 and the best time to 0 - 100 km/h 4.2 done by (i forgot the name) German Television program.

Did you watch this Artur?

http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_tv/index.cfm?videoid=6c31e8668d004424950145bdc59eeb64&area=videos

Not bad at all, for a car that has such great daily usability (i mean big boot space and usable rear seats) The M6 is 2cm longer than e60 M5 too... :hihi:

You talk about ideal figures when you have your car just with all new supplies (oil, filters, etc) and on an ideal surface.

My figures are from everyday's life - because all cars usually are tad slower than ideal figures.

I don't argue - the best for M6 is about 12.5 - but if you try this tomorrow - you will achieve this time 0 out of 10. You will stay somewhere in 13,5 secs range.

Rutkowsky
April 29th, 2009, 21:58
Well, those times have been achieved so i don't see a reason why i shouldn'd get between 12.5 - 13 secs on good tyres?

Rutkowsky
April 29th, 2009, 21:59
Oh and my cars are extremely well maintained!!

Leadfoot
April 29th, 2009, 22:38
You talk about ideal figures when you have your car just with all new supplies (oil, filters, etc) and on an ideal surface.

My figures are from everyday's life - because all cars usually are tad slower than ideal figures.

I don't argue - the best for M6 is about 12.5 - but if you try this tomorrow - you will achieve this time 0 out of 10. You will stay somewhere in 13,5 secs range.

I see what you are getting at and in a way I agree with your thinking but I reckon it's the controlling the wheelspin that will determine the acceleration time and this is more to do with the rubber condition and the surface.

Maybe Rutkowsky can/is able to get consistent times from his M6 but I doubt even he would disagree that awd would take a lot of the chance out of achieving those times. I also doubt that a 12.5s time is achieveable more than 1 every 50 or so times (if at all) but I reckon the 13-13.5s is very achieveable for someone familiar with the car.

Are we in agreement that the M6 is quicker than the RS6 saloon to 200km/h, well if so I would still put my money on the Audi getting to 200km/h first more times than not and that is solely down to better traction and the element of chance taken out of the equation. The same advantage will be there for the RS5 against the M3 and C63 but as it will also be naturally quicker than the M3 and maybe on par or slightly slower than the C63 but because of awd it should win almost all battles against either.

In fact given it's superior pricing (in Europe at least) I would reckon quite a few owners/customers for the M6 may well decide on the RS5 instead because on almost every situation it will out handle and out perform the M6, never mind it's little brother.

Rutkowsky
April 29th, 2009, 23:38
How much does the RS6 sallon weigh? As much as i love the current RS6 - it won't ever be a car for a regular track days... Why oh why does it weigh 2 tons?? And no i can't get perfect launch in my M6 every time but i could see R8 being tested by Drivers Republic and achieved a dissapointing 5.3 seconds to 100km/h. Manufacturers better focus on developing tyre technology!! :jlol:

Since i had S8 and RS6 i know that it is easier to achieve optimum traction in a 4WD car but i don't race much from stop (i hate the 'race' word!!) and if anything it is Autobhan - The M6 element!!! :bow: :D :cheers:

artur777
April 30th, 2009, 00:29
I see what you are getting at and in a way I agree with your thinking but I reckon it's the controlling the wheelspin that will determine the acceleration time and this is more to do with the rubber condition and the surface.

Maybe Rutkowsky can/is able to get consistent times from his M6 but I doubt even he would disagree that awd would take a lot of the chance out of achieving those times. I also doubt that a 12.5s time is achieveable more than 1 every 50 or so times (if at all) but I reckon the 13-13.5s is very achieveable for someone familiar with the car.

Are we in agreement that the M6 is quicker than the RS6 saloon to 200km/h, well if so I would still put my money on the Audi getting to 200km/h first more times than not and that is solely down to better traction and the element of chance taken out of the equation. The same advantage will be there for the RS5 against the M3 and C63 but as it will also be naturally quicker than the M3 and maybe on par or slightly slower than the C63 but because of awd it should win almost all battles against either.

In fact given it's superior pricing (in Europe at least) I would reckon quite a few owners/customers for the M6 may well decide on the RS5 instead because on almost every situation it will out handle and out perform the M6, never mind it's little brother.

I agree with you, but i hope that RS5 will be tad quicker than C63 as well:king:

Qisha
April 30th, 2009, 07:38
Dear Friends,

the M6 is for sure the strongest candidate in the BMW lineup when it comes to acceleration. Nonetheless the goal of keeping the dry weiht slightly under 1.800kg (1.785kg best) is bought dearly. Combined with the love/hate look of the car you see the outcome looking at the sales figures. The weakest point is the Gearbox but this has been discused times and times before. Great car, not Supersport class but GT class, straight liner. Considering the fact, this layout is on the market since 2005 and engineering startet in 2001, i show my respect and tribute to this car. :thumb:

Back to the RS5:

this time the RS5 has got to be seen within the GT class rather than a Supersport class- also. The has been appointed a while back and will be for sure the last one of its kind. Peformance as well as the look both are really exciting. You can assume that everything possible has been done when it comes to sound, performance and handling to achieve EU5 emission limitations as well as street homologation- out of the concept. :mech:

Performance is treated as "adequate" in comparison to the main rivals and they are -like said before- seen somewhere between a M3 and M6.

A sneak in the future:

better weight distribution, lower weight, latest forced induction, improved "economy", technical "gizmos"... :incar:

A word of advice:

better ready some diapers, the RS5 got that "have to change something" effect... :cheers:

Qisha

The RS6
April 30th, 2009, 08:08
So you're saying RS5 will be FI? Twincharged? Hmm...

The Pretender
April 30th, 2009, 08:52

More like Supercharged.

Qisha
April 30th, 2009, 08:54

Dear The RS6,

this is not tend for the RS5 but rather the upcoming generations...

Qisha

artur777
April 30th, 2009, 09:54
Dear Friends,

the M6 is for sure the strongest candidate in the BMW lineup when it comes to acceleration. Nonetheless the goal of keeping the dry weiht slightly under 1.800kg (1.785kg best) is bought dearly. Combined with the love/hate look of the car you see the outcome looking at the sales figures. The weakest point is the Gearbox but this has been discused times and times before. Great car, not Supersport class but GT class, straight liner. Considering the fact, this layout is on the market since 2005 and engineering startet in 2001, i show my respect and tribute to this car. :thumb:

Back to the RS5:

this time the RS5 has got to be seen within the GT class rather than a Supersport class- also. The has been appointed a while back and will be for sure the last one of its kind. Peformance as well as the look both are really exciting. You can assume that everything possible has been done when it comes to sound, performance and handling to achieve EU5 emission limitations as well as street homologation- out of the concept. :mech:

Performance is treated as "adequate" in comparison to the main rivals and they are -like said before- seen somewhere between a M3 and M6.

A sneak in the future:

better weight distribution, lower weight, latest forced induction, improved "economy", technical "gizmos"... :incar:

A word of advice:

better ready some diapers, the RS5 got that "have to change something" effect... :cheers:

Qisha

Qisha, thanks for the info

We see the RS5 being a competitor to C63 and M3. RS5 will be no1 among those cars.

M6 is a little bit higher and next generation will clearly compete with 911 Turbo, GTR, Gallardo and F450 in the terms of performance. On Audi side there is R8 V10 5.2 FSI to compete.

Leadfoot
May 1st, 2009, 12:00
Dear Friends,

Back to the RS5:

A sneak in the future:

A word of advice:

Qisha

The M6 is only amazing when view solely on it's straight line speed and acceleration ability. It's not a car that anyone instantly thinks about when handling is mentioned, but enough of the M6 it's a model that already on it's way out and the new one will be even quicker again than before so will move to a performance level well out of reach of the RS5.

P.S.
I have my diapers on so bring on the RS5 now, I'm ready. :D

The Pretender
May 1st, 2009, 12:12
P.S.
Incontinence problems. :rolleyes:

Ruergard
May 1st, 2009, 13:03

Haha! :applause:

Leadfoot
May 1st, 2009, 18:39

Ain't that the truth.

Rutkowsky
May 2nd, 2009, 18:33
The M6 is only amazing when view solely on it's straight line speed and acceleration ability. It's not a car that anyone instantly thinks about when handling is mentioned, but enough of the M6 it's a model that already on it's way out and the new one will be even quicker again than before so will move to a performance level well out of reach of the RS5.

P.S.

To me an M6 is more than just an acceleration Leadie. I for one, love the looks and i get a lot of positive comments from people. It is also the feeling when you drive this beastie, the sound the rock solid feel at top speeds, the great balance when you brake hard and most of all - the wide sweeping bends @ XXX speeds where legal of course. :bow:

The next generation will be mental IMO. The X6M, despite weighing 1000kgs more than CSL beats it to 100km/h and has the same 100mph time, madness!!

QuattroFun
May 2nd, 2009, 19:29
BMW M3 DSG (CO2 285/EU4/420PS) is still pretty efficient. However, that car is two years old and technology-wise, Panamera 4S PDK is a far more interesting benchmark for the RS5: heavy 4WD car, 400PS and 500Nm from 4.8L NA V8 combined with EU5 and merely 260 CO2. Not bad at all in my books. I find it strange that Audi launched the R8 V10 with only EU4 and the CO2 for the R-tronic of 327 is hardly impressive, although economy is of course not here the first priority. Audi should improve its efficiency - significantly.

:vhmmm:

audi_ch
May 3rd, 2009, 10:46
To me an M6 is more than just an acceleration Leadie. I for one, love the looks and i get a lot of positive comments from people. It is also the feeling when you drive this beastie, the sound the rock solid feel at top speeds, the great balance when you brake hard and most of all - the wide sweeping bends @ XXX speeds where legal of course. :bow:

The next generation will be mental IMO. The X6M, despite weighing 1000kgs more than CSL beats it to 100km/h and has the same 100mph time, madness!!

of course the next m5/6 generation will be a step forward, rumers say next m6 will be more than a match for the lp560, so we all know what is coming up.

But the way how they gonna make it, that is the question, away from the high reving engines to the turbo generation..., that is a big change for the m gmbh and its futur owners

artur777
May 3rd, 2009, 15:10
is it possible to have high-revving turboes with next M6?

audi_ch
May 4th, 2009, 08:48

possible yes, but not likely at all. the v8 biturbo is the favorit...
due to coast, emission and fuel consomption..

Leadfoot
May 4th, 2009, 15:10

It all depends on your opinion of high revs. The norm for a turbo v8 is about 6500-6700rpm at the upper limit so anything over that could be classed as high revving, but I doubt you will see anything like the 8500rpm limit that the past M6 had, maybe something closer to 7000-7300rpm will be nearer the true figure.

The real skill will be matching the torque curve to the power curve, too high a rev limit and you will need to shift the torque curve higher up the rev range which will create lag, best to start the torque at 1300-1500rpm and run it to about 5500rpm, I think the RS6 is a perfect example of how to make a great turbo engine.

artur777
May 4th, 2009, 16:04
It all depends on your opinion of high revs. The norm for a turbo v8 is about 6500-6700rpm at the upper limit so anything over that could be classed as high revving, but I doubt you will see anything like the 8500rpm limit that the past M6 had, maybe something closer to 7000-7300rpm will be nearer the true figure.

The real skill will be matching the torque curve to the power curve, too high a rev limit and you will need to shift the torque curve higher up the rev range which will create lag, best to start the torque at 1300-1500rpm and run it to about 5500rpm, I think the RS6 is a perfect example of how to make a great turbo engine.

I see your point - but is it possible to play with turboes and make them variable to work in wide broad of revvs? is it possible to make good torque curve from 1300 till 7000 rpms with the engine max-revvs at about 8000 rpms? Could be nice to combine high-revving with advantages of turboes setup...

Leadfoot
May 4th, 2009, 19:04
I see your point - but is it possible to play with turboes and make them variable to work in wide broad of revvs? is it possible to make good torque curve from 1300 till 7000 rpms with the engine max-revvs at about 8000 rpms? Could be nice to combine high-revving with advantages of turboes setup...

I don't think such a torque band is possible at the moment, if it were then someone would have done it by now and as BMW's N/A M engines have always revved to the heavens I would have thought that the new X5M with it's twin turbo V8 would have done it, but alas no. I know that variable turbos can produce a strong torque range but it's usually done to reduce lag.

Maybe you're looking for a quad turbo setup, a small and large turbo per bank, marvel at the power and to hell with the weight. :hihi:

KresoF1
May 5th, 2009, 07:05

High revs are not possible with turbo-limit of current technology and turbo layout in general. If you look at current SOTA turbos-for example RS6 V10 rev limit is about at 6800rpm. About 7000rpm is a maximum for smaller turbo engines.

Next thing is torque curve... For example 997 Turbo should feel very strong at low revs and lag free... BUT, it is not.

I will not go in depth here... Just, I would rather see 4.0L V8 TFSI with kompressor a la S4(or better Jaguar XFR/XKR-since new 5.0L is a masterpiece) then biturbos a la RS6.

Since Qisha suggested combines induction(a la small 1.4TSI) I am looking forward to see how will it work.

artur777
May 5th, 2009, 10:12
I don't think such a torque band is possible at the moment, if it were then someone would have done it by now and as BMW's N/A M engines have always revved to the heavens I would have thought that the new X5M with it's twin turbo V8 would have done it, but alas no. I know that variable turbos can produce a strong torque range but it's usually done to reduce lag.

Maybe you're looking for a quad turbo setup, a small and large turbo per bank, marvel at the power and to hell with the weight. :hihi:

I agree with you.
Quad turbo setup - do we have an example of this in our life?

artur777
May 5th, 2009, 10:14
High revs are not possible with turbo-limit of current technology and turbo layout in general. If you look at current SOTA turbos-for example RS6 V10 rev limit is about at 6800rpm. About 7000rpm is a maximum for smaller turbo engines.

Next thing is torque curve... For example 997 Turbo should feel very strong at low revs and lag free... BUT, it is not.

I will not go in depth here... Just, I would rather see 4.0L V8 TFSI with kompressor a la S4(or better Jaguar XFR/XKR-since new 5.0L is a masterpiece) then biturbos a la RS6.

Since Qisha suggested combines induction(a la small 1.4TSI) I am looking forward to see how will it work.

So you think that high-revvng is not the way to go instead of going to comdined induction way - SC and Turbo in one engine... Tend to agree.

Regarding Turbo - let's see the upper revvs limit for facelifted one - could it be higher than 7000 rpms?

BTW - is it possible to make high-revving SC engine with max revvs at about 7500-8000 rpms?

Leadfoot
May 5th, 2009, 10:19
I agree with you.
Quad turbo setup - do we have an example of this in our life?

That was sarcasm, nothing more.

Leadfoot
May 5th, 2009, 10:29
So you think that high-revvng is not the way to go instead of going to comdined induction way - SC and Turbo in one engine... Tend to agree.

Regarding Turbo - let's see the upper revvs limit for facelifted one - could it be higher than 7000 rpms?

BTW - is it possible to make high-revving SC engine with max revvs at about 7500-8000 rpms?

I think with SC you have a better chance because it's torque curve/lag isn't as important low down as with a turbo engine. I believe you could go higher than we are currently seen with turbo powered motors but something will have to give and that may well be lag.

I reckon Audi are going to produce something that will turn our opinion of forced induction engines on it's head.

P.S.
What's the big deal of having your turbo engine running to 7800-8000rpm anyway? :confused:

youry
May 5th, 2009, 23:31
guys don't you think that talking about M6 here is out of scope.... for one or two messages why not, but if more is needed open a new thread no ?

artur777
May 6th, 2009, 10:00
guys don't you think that talking about M6 here is out of scope.... for one or two messages why not, but if more is needed open a new thread no ?

what do you have against it, mate?
:vgrumpy:

Rutkowsky
May 6th, 2009, 13:36
it's all on topic - talking competition set ups etc. is all good!!

I still have my e46 M3 (over three years now) and this is my project car now. Brakes, Bilstein, Recaros carbon CSL body panels etc etc plus AutoWerke 525bhp supercharger. As you know, the e46 M3 revs to 8000 and there's no issues whatsoever. It should be a fast car!!

Rutkowsky
May 6th, 2009, 14:08
I have also 'overheard' rumours of the next generation M6 to be faster than LP 560-4. It will be simply an insane car. Roll on Gustav's 2011 airfield races!!

2011 can't come soon enough for me...

Bogdan
May 7th, 2009, 07:43
On the last Car magazine, that I've read last evening, they said the RS5 is coming at Frankfurt Motorshow with...a bi-turbo V8 450 hp with only 7 speed DSG gearbox. I guess nobody knows in the end...

AndyBG
May 8th, 2009, 10:42
Things continue to be complicated... :D