PDA

View Full Version : Recent RS6 sale figures.

DHall1
March 26th, 2009, 02:02
Hey all,

We seem to have quite a new group of prospective owners and several new owners. Congrats to new and hurry up for prospective.

I have noticed that the true low mileage pristine examples have been selling at nice levels. For example

03 RS6 in Chandler AZ with 40k. $39,000

03 RS6 in Scottsdale AZ with 29k. $44,500

Dont wait around too long for what your looking for. These are getting harder and harder to find.

Cheers,
Dave

Copper
March 26th, 2009, 02:19
Ah I guess that's good for me. I may end up selling the car after all so that scares me a bit.

Yellow RS6
March 26th, 2009, 12:44
Dave, are those asking prices or actual sales? thx.

got boost
March 26th, 2009, 13:08
FYI,

I gathered some manheim auction numbers from a week ago........

2003 RS6
National Average (6 vehicles sold)

Above
$23,900 @ 34,296

Middle
$20,275 @ 68,591

Below
$16,600 @ 102,887

When will the madness stop! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

allwheelsdriven
March 26th, 2009, 13:29
I think the prospect of spending as much on maintenance (without warranty, over several years) as you did for the car used is what drives these prices down

DHall1
March 26th, 2009, 15:09
I hear ya.

A car with 75k miles and no warranty carries a big risk.

I have always touted low mileage and extended warranty. Cover exposure and enjoy the car. I have zero worries about exposure and plan to run the wheels off mine till at least 2014/100k.

To me...Manheim carries little weight. Sure, if you looking for an auction car and willing to throw the dice. Not me, not this car. I want too see the PO and exercise my tire kicking a bit.

I think the prospect of spending as much on maintenance (without warranty, over several years) as you did for the car used is what drives these prices down

Ben74
March 26th, 2009, 15:45
Do you guys think that at these prices there will be a lot of ignorant (not in a derogatory sense) buyers who have no idea what kind of maintenance costs they might be facing? I just wonder how much knowledge the average buyer has before purchasing this specific vehicle. Most salespeople will not care. As the price drops, I would guess that fewer people will be doing their homework before making a purchase. This could actually have the effect of driving down the prices even more. Say someone buys an RS6 without warranty and has a big expense come up in the first 6 to 12 months. They might try to sell the car for whatever they can get for it at that point because they are afraid of the on-going costs. Thoughts?

Ben

Copper
March 26th, 2009, 16:38
Ben, you hit the nail on the head. My eBay post this weekend will be a big eye opener. I list out some of the gotchas on this car.

I've seen exactly your point on the BMW 850i. Great car but $90K (in 1991!! - 1997 -US 1999 in the rest of the world) meant $90K car parts and repairs. Since they were each hand built, every one is slightly different. Dealers didn't know how to repair or service them (sound familiar) and the whole thing spun out of control.

Prices on the 8 Series E31 dropped to reasonable $30K range, people bought them not knowing all the expensve hand-made parts and high cost of maint/repairs. They then "dumped" them back on the market with many issues and in the mid-$20 range. Next thing you know they are being deemed "unreliable" and they rotate through ingnorant owner after owner. Many of them "bling" the cars instead of taking care of basic maint and repairs. Next thing you know the car hits $10-$13K rock-bottom for the really bad ones. People buy them up and realize they have to spend $5-6K just to get them back to OEM running condition. Now there is renewed interest in restoring these cars to their former glory and many new owners are investing in them. There are some selling for the mid-$20's again and the 850CSi examples go for $50K+ I restored and modified mine and sold it for $22K after only paying $13K for it to purchase my first RS6. I'd never do it again however. Way too painful.

I see a similar story with the Porsche 944/951/928.

I really, really hope the RS6 does not head in this same direction. I think many dealers "steal" them from owners at trade in and also pick them up cheap from auctions, make a quick $2K profit and push the overall market value down a bit. I think the educated buyer will understand a good example from a bad one and be willing to pay a bit more for a fully documented mint condition vehicle. As they say in the car biz, an ass for every seat. You just have to be willing to wait.

I've considered picking up one of those $20K RS6's rolling the dice and just modding the crap out of it for a street rocket, but I've restored (4) 850i/850CSi cars and (2) 951s to know that you get what you pay for. Pay for it now or pay for it later you will end up paying.

I'm now firmly in the "pay more up front" camp for the best example of a car that I can find. I'm almost in the "buy brand new" camp but I'm a little too frugal to take that depreciation hit, esp. on Audi's. I did lease a new 2009 Maxima but my company is leasing it and it was a demo with 7K miles on it. They sold it to me for $10K off sticker.

We will see a defined split of expensive RS6's for sale and cheap RS6's for sale. I'm hoping the people who pick up the cheap ones don't ignore the maint/repairs and will keep them in good running condition and not trash them but people are people and there is a lot of appeal to picking up a cheap go-fast car.

Turboluvr
March 26th, 2009, 17:11
Cooper,
I agree, I played the 928 game for a while. It was a terriffic GT cruiser, the flagship model of Prosche, the car to replace the 911 that they poured all their technical innovation into. Of course that comes with high maintenance costs and a car that has not been taken care of is a hand grenade waiting to go off. You find them in two catagories, around $10,000 for heartache or $30,000-$50,000 for well maintained or GTS examples. The RS6 will go that direction. I think RS6 value is also tied to A6 depreciation. To 99% of the car buying population it's an A6 with a funny badge. The relatively small number of vehicles makes it harder to establish a true value, it's easier to classify it as a sport package on it's cheaper sibling. Our stealth looks probably hurt us here, the great cars that stand out from the crowd (911) seem to hold their value better. Just my 2 cents.

DHall1
March 26th, 2009, 17:43
Its a good theory that has been floated before. A couple of points on this matter.

1. I think we hype up the few problems of the RS6 to somewhat of an extreme. Its not like the thing is breaking down monthly. You can go for thousands of miles at a time and then out of the blue....the torque converter code flashes.

2. The few problems on the RS6 can be dealt with by other means. DRC can be repaired by 2,000 dollar coilovers. I mean how many people cant put 2000 dollars on a CC?

3. As for the transmission or TC. Your stuck there...and have to repair it to even sell the car.

4. Do people really buy without researching such a rare car? I donno...but look at all of you IT and ME guys researching the bolts off these things. Prime examples. I mean look at how many Subaru guys are lurking around here. The prime demographic of Subaru owners....money, smarts, dont like to show off, can buy much more expensive vehicles but dont. Ring any bells. I purchased a 04STI new and paid cash. Ditto for my RS6/paid top dollar used and paid cash.

5. What you may find are RS6s that need some basic maint that is coming due. Timing belt, brakes, tires. We have already shown/proven that you can cut your maint costs literally in half on the brakes by doing things yourself. So, this is becoming a tool to knock prices down further and save on the back end by doing our own work. Again, IT and ME guys will be doing this stuff themselves.

The RS6 is really a reliable vehicle/hand built/under the radar/blows the doors off of most everything on the road.

:rs6kiss:

Do you guys think that at these prices there will be a lot of ignorant (not in a derogatory sense) buyers who have no idea what kind of maintenance costs they might be facing? I just wonder how much knowledge the average buyer has before purchasing this specific vehicle. Most salespeople will not care. As the price drops, I would guess that fewer people will be doing their homework before making a purchase. This could actually have the effect of driving down the prices even more. Say someone buys an RS6 without warranty and has a big expense come up in the first 6 to 12 months. They might try to sell the car for whatever they can get for it at that point because they are afraid of the on-going costs. Thoughts?

Ben

850 was a interesting car. I never really researched it because it was out of my price range at the time. I was busy building my high hp Supra turbos at the time. Cut my teeth on turbo design and tuning with all those Supra's back in the day. It was cheap fun and very fast.

The RS6 wont go down the road of the 850. Its a much better car with only a few $$ quirks. But I will say that a few people are getting into high mileage RS6s with no idea of the maint costs. Time will tell if these cars quickly come back on the market.

Ben, you hit the nail on the head. My eBay post this weekend will be a big eye opener. I list out some of the gotchas on this car.

I've seen exactly your point on the BMW 850i. Great car but $90K (in 1991!! - 1997 -US 1999 in the rest of the world) meant $90K car parts and repairs. Since they were each hand built, every one is slightly different. Dealers didn't know how to repair or service them (sound familiar) and the whole thing spun out of control.

Prices on the 8 Series E31 dropped to reasonable $30K range, people bought them not knowing all the expensve hand-made parts and high cost of maint/repairs. They then "dumped" them back on the market with many issues and in the mid-$20 range. Next thing you know they are being deemed "unreliable" and they rotate through ingnorant owner after owner. Many of them "bling" the cars instead of taking care of basic maint and repairs. Next thing you know the car hits $10-$13K rock-bottom for the really bad ones. People buy them up and realize they have to spend $5-6K just to get them back to OEM running condition. Now there is renewed interest in restoring these cars to their former glory and many new owners are investing in them. There are some selling for the mid-$20's again and the 850CSi examples go for $50K+ I restored and modified mine and sold it for $22K after only paying $13K for it to purchase my first RS6. I'd never do it again however. Way too painful.

I see a similar story with the Porsche 944/951/928.

I really, really hope the RS6 does not head in this same direction. I think many dealers "steal" them from owners at trade in and also pick them up cheap from auctions, make a quick $2K profit and push the overall market value down a bit. I think the educated buyer will understand a good example from a bad one and be willing to pay a bit more for a fully documented mint condition vehicle. As they say in the car biz, an ass for every seat. You just have to be willing to wait.

I've considered picking up one of those $20K RS6's rolling the dice and just modding the crap out of it for a street rocket, but I've restored (4) 850i/850CSi cars and (2) 951s to know that you get what you pay for. Pay for it now or pay for it later you will end up paying.

I'm now firmly in the "pay more up front" camp for the best example of a car that I can find. I'm almost in the "buy brand new" camp but I'm a little too frugal to take that depreciation hit, esp. on Audi's. I did lease a new 2009 Maxima but my company is leasing it and it was a demo with 7K miles on it. They sold it to me for $10K off sticker.

We will see a defined split of expensive RS6's for sale and cheap RS6's for sale. I'm hoping the people who pick up the cheap ones don't ignore the maint/repairs and will keep them in good running condition and not trash them but people are people and there is a lot of appeal to picking up a cheap go-fast car.

mmaturo
March 26th, 2009, 19:23
My 2 cents I will say the car is somewhat reliable in the sense that mine has never left me stranded but it does visit a service provider every 3 months for something, however its never incapacitated, just annoying, whether it is regular oil change, pads, etc or an emergent issue. It is the rate of wear and the corresponding high parts cost that annoys me (tires, rotors, pads, bushings on anything in the front suspension yearly).

The car will do better than the 850s but I don't see it holding value as the miles creap up at all. Most of you guys stepped in late and picked up (or in Copper's case bought a better one when his lease expired) nice examples, but as I am someone who bought used early and paid a lot for a low mileage decent example i've taken the path to really drive it and watch the value just evaporate. So it is in good shape (interior/exterior) but mileage has dropped my value to low low 20s....no comments on how hard i drive it that also deducts worthiness but that's why i bought it, its my daily driver, my occasional track companion and when needed stop light racer.

I think the only way to not get killed on the car is to have it as a second or third car in the fleet so it doesn't wear quickly or stack up daily miles, then I think its a fantastic steal today and won't blow the budget. Especially if it can sit and wait on a few of the more expensive repairs.

Here is my big annoyance however...I owned a TT before my RS6 and I paid 28K for it one year used (excellent deal in 2001 for a special edition TT), owned it for 4 1/2 years, and i got $22K back out of it. My RS6 is going to cost me $22K just in the difference between what i owe now (and what i can sell it for) and the cash i threw into the purchase up front. The old TTs are still around 11-12K for a low mileage examples 9-10 years later...my RS6 will be about that by 9 years. Not going to add up mods and maintenance costs.

Its one of the best all around cars ever built but with little knowledge of it I agree it may languish in the same swill of value as regular A6s. Hopefully a few will survive in light duty to see concours one day but it will not be mine.

DHall1
March 26th, 2009, 19:38
Mark,

We have a good group over here and I enjoy reading the perspectives of other longer term owners.

Its amazing the asset valuations between certain cars. I dont think todays economy is helping high end cars such as the RS.

I also agree with the 2nd/3rd car in the fleet idea. That is exactly where mine sits. So the miles are low...28k and when I jump in the beast...it serves its purpose and is a joy to drive. I hope the long term asset valuations are more favorable for the very low mileage cars. Fingers crossed but really I dont see any sale in my cars future...between now and 2015. Even then....I will most likely just keep it as I have done with my best Supra Turbo.

Now if we can just get this friggin DRC fixed.

Dave

My 2 cents I will say the car is somewhat reliable in the sense that mine has never left me stranded but it does visit a service provider every 3 months for something, however its never incapacitated, just annoying, whether it is regular oil change, pads, etc or an emergent issue. It is the rate of wear and the corresponding high parts cost that annoys me (tires, rotors, pads, bushings on anything in the front suspension yearly).

The car will do better than the 850s but I don't see it holding value as the miles creap up at all. Most of you guys stepped in late and picked up (or in Copper's case bought a better one when his lease expired) nice examples, but as I am someone who bought used early and paid a lot for a low mileage decent example i've taken the path to really drive it and watch the value just evaporate. So it is in good shape (interior/exterior) but mileage has dropped my value to low low 20s....no comments on how hard i drive it that also deducts worthiness but that's why i bought it, its my daily driver, my occasional track companion and when needed stop light racer.

I think the only way to not get killed on the car is to have it as a second or third car in the fleet so it doesn't wear quickly or stack up daily miles, then I think its a fantastic steal today and won't blow the budget. Especially if it can sit and wait on a few of the more expensive repairs.

Here is my big annoyance however...I owned a TT before my RS6 and I paid 28K for it one year used (excellent deal in 2001 for a special edition TT), owned it for 4 1/2 years, and i got $22K back out of it. My RS6 is going to cost me $22K just in the difference between what i owe now (and what i can sell it for) and the cash i threw into the purchase up front. The old TTs are still around 11-12K for a low mileage examples 9-10 years later...my RS6 will be about that by 9 years. Not going to add up mods and maintenance costs.

Its one of the best all around cars ever built but with little knowledge of it I agree it may languish in the same swill of value as regular A6s. Hopefully a few will survive in light duty to see concours one day but it will not be mine.

DuckWingDuck
March 26th, 2009, 20:44
It sucks and it shouldn't be this way but, expensive cars are finicky cars. Lower production numbers means that each and every flaw gets magnified because owners tend to be enthusiasts and we get an echo chamber effect. I think such is the price we pay (rightly or wrongly) for having a rarified vehicle.

allwheelsdriven
March 26th, 2009, 22:30
The thing is with 944's 928's TT's etc...lots of people know what those are and saw them in movies, dreamt about having one etc etc.

The number of people who know what a RS6 is and care is small. Hence the value drop.

Go poll any group of teenagers....do you want a Z06 or Turbo Porsche someday? Oh yeah! How about a turbo awd audi that will take those two cars and haul 4 adults? Audi?! Thats what my uncle drives! Or whatever...

Anyway I just got back from an hours worth of my first RS6 test drive in the rain here in VA............

mmaturo
March 26th, 2009, 22:34
The thing is with 944's 928's TT's etc...lots of people know what those are and saw them in movies, dreamt about having one etc etc.

The number of people who know what a RS6 is and care is small. Hence the value drop.

Go poll any group of teenagers....do you want a Z06 or Turbo Porsche someday? Oh yeah! How about a turbo awd audi that will take those two cars and haul 4 adults? Audi?! Thats what my uncle drives! Or whatever...

Anyway I just got back from an hours worth of my first RS6 test drive in the rain here in VA............

True you are very correct, although i am surprised by the number of young guys that are valets around town that do know what it is and talk with me about it. Several places i go i watch them fight over who gets the ticket.

I assume the drive in the rain went well, after all it is an RS6.

allwheelsdriven
March 26th, 2009, 22:36
went great...absolutely immaculate car...conti sport contact tires.

DHall1
March 26th, 2009, 23:58
:addict: It never fails to amaze me.....

I went thru the In & Out Burger drive thru a couple of months ago. As I pulled up to pick up the order....this young guy comes running over to the pickup window and sticks his head out.....scanning down the side of the RS. "Is that a RS6!" he exclaimed. Yes it is....I replied. He just about fell out the window...as he said. "I have never ever seen one of these in person. Its fantastic!"

:rs6kiss:

Mind you this was down in po-dunk Casa Grande, AZ. A whopping town of 35k in the middle of the desert. Po-dunk. Is that a real word. :idea:

As for reasons why this or that or whatever. I dont care if 911TTs carry more bling value. I dont care if people know exactly what this RS6 is under the skin. Or how the value is this or that.

I got mine in the garage and nobody including Congress with the 90% tax can take mine away from me.

True you are very correct, although i am surprised by the number of young guys that are valets around town that do know what it is and talk with me about it. Several places i go i watch them fight over who gets the ticket.

I assume the drive in the rain went well, after all it is an RS6.

mmaturo
March 27th, 2009, 19:03
Figures....back on my reliability comment i'm driving home last night and dammit the air bag light came on...back to the dealer we go...and yep its been 2 months since last visit for DRC and steering pump.... i was plagued by these for awhile a couple of years ago so not surprised. Sending units going bad.

rs6 ltwt
March 27th, 2009, 20:30
I am deep into the process of selling my car. Did the same last year with my last RS6.

The kids and adults know what our car is. They want it. They lust after it. At least that is my experience here in CT.

Those dreamers can now "afford" the car at the price of the dealer fright-pigs. Frankly I reckon they can now afford the (marginally more expensive), reasonable price of my car too.

However, as is common of kids and adults that have put us in this financial debacle (I am not cynical, by the way), there is an absolute reckless diregard by far too many kids and adults. They do not do due diligence (if even for a moment) or take care to understand cause and effect of their actions.

So to that end, I reckon that 1 of every 15 prospective buyers that I have spoken to know the story and are wise to the RS6 nuances. And those wise folks are all confused by what to make of the huge price spreads....Some of those folks are going to know soon enough :vgrumpy: The rest of the bargain shoppers (who often try to scare me into a sale by mentioning the economy) are just plain uneducated and want to buy "the beast". They too will have some issues.

I am in no particular sales hurry, so I will wait for the right buyer who is excited to buy *my* car for the right reasons, and who as a result, pays a very slight, marginally, higher price. I am sure we will have a beer together.

We will toast to: enjoying the transaction; the fact that that individual got a good car; and I handed it off to someone wise enough to continue on with it the same way. I rather prefer the sound of that.:cheers:

DHall1
March 28th, 2009, 04:14
A somewhat different angle is the point that the said folks most likely could not get a loan for a 5yr old car that runs 25-30k. Or any loan for that matter. So the dreamers will keep dreaming.

Insurance is high, maint is high...even if you do most of it.

There is little credit out there right now. You need good credit to buy a 5yr old car and obtain any loan on it.

We are not done with this crisis by any means. DOW will go back down at least one more time. Be ready for it.

As far as bargin shoppers....you cant blame them. Its a free market system and when asset values are dropping this fast the sharks come out and smell blood. Look at the markets....same deal. Short, short, short. calls sold and puts bought. Nature of the beast.

I am deep into the process of selling my car. Did the same last year with my last RS6.

The kids and adults know what our car is. They want it. They lust after it. At least that is my experience here in CT.

Those dreamers can now "afford" the car at the price of the dealer fright-pigs. Frankly I reckon they can now afford the (marginally more expensive), reasonable price of my car too.

However, as is common of kids and adults that have put us in this financial debacle (I am not cynical, by the way), there is an absolute reckless diregard by far too many kids and adults. They do not do due diligence (if even for a moment) or take care to understand cause and effect of their actions.

So to that end, I reckon that 1 of every 15 prospective buyers that I have spoken to know the story and are wise to the RS6 nuances. And those wise folks are all confused by what to make of the huge price spreads....Some of those folks are going to know soon enough :vgrumpy: The rest of the bargain shoppers (who often try to scare me into a sale by mentioning the economy) are just plain uneducated and want to buy "the beast". They too will have some issues.

I am in no particular sales hurry, so I will wait for the right buyer who is excited to buy *my* car for the right reasons, and who as a result, pays a very slight, marginally, higher price. I am sure we will have a beer together.

We will toast to: enjoying the transaction; the fact that that individual got a good car; and I handed it off to someone wise enough to continue on with it the same way. I rather prefer the sound of that.:cheers:

PatriotRSX
March 28th, 2009, 04:44
Lurked on this board while looking for a good RS6 for nearly two years. Found one in October 2008 on eBay, private sale, $32k w/ 46,000 miles. Wanted the blue/white combo with the carbon fiber trim, and got it.

Wary of the DRC issues (thanks to you RS6 vets), so I kept my daily-driver Acura RSX for my commute. Treat the RS6 as a weekend and pick-up-friends/parents-from-the-airport car.

I was thrilled to get my August/DRC letter in the mail. A company from the other side of the planet tracked me down, is going to fabricate brand-new parts for my six-year-old car, and install them for free? Awesome, just awesome. I'm your customer for life.

The wife's sister was around last week and brought the new boyfriend with her. We got to talking about cars. He said, "Have you seen the Audi R8?" I said, "Have you seen the RS6 IN THE GARAGE?" That felt good.

rs6 ltwt
March 28th, 2009, 14:16
Know what Dave? You're absolutely right. I am a free market advocate.

I forgot to include the sharks trolling along with the uneducated/reckless folks. There is a difference....seriously. And I understand the nature of the sharks. Heck they give me a bid to leverage, eh? :mech:

A somewhat different angle is the point that the said folks most likely could not get a loan for a 5yr old car that runs 25-30k. Or any loan for that matter. So the dreamers will keep dreaming.

Insurance is high, maint is high...even if you do most of it.

There is little credit out there right now. You need good credit to buy a 5yr old car and obtain any loan on it.

We are not done with this crisis by any means. DOW will go back down at least one more time. Be ready for it.

As far as bargin shoppers....you cant blame them. Its a free market system and when asset values are dropping this fast the sharks come out and smell blood. Look at the markets....same deal. Short, short, short. calls sold and puts bought. Nature of the beast.

rs6 ltwt
March 28th, 2009, 14:20
Welcome aboard. Audi engineers rock. The North America marketing guys have been sliding.... Including eliminating the transferrability of cars CPO'd these days.

But the cars rock.

Maybe the DRC issue is a ray of hope. I do know they care now.

A side story related to yours...an R8 in town hung a U-turn and pulled off the road to talk to *me* last week about the RS6 while i was refueling. :lovl: (and, yes, I admit it...I did ask if he would be willing to trade). How awesome is it that the cars can keep up with each other, and we have 4 doors!!??

Lurked on this board while looking for a good RS6 for nearly two years. Found one in October 2008 on eBay, private sale, $32k w/ 46,000 miles. Wanted the blue/white combo with the carbon fiber trim, and got it.

Wary of the DRC issues (thanks to you RS6 vets), so I kept my daily-driver Acura RSX for my commute. Treat the RS6 as a weekend and pick-up-friends/parents-from-the-airport car.

I was thrilled to get my August/DRC letter in the mail. A company from the other side of the planet tracked me down, is going to fabricate brand-new parts for my six-year-old car, and install them for free? Awesome, just awesome. I'm your customer for life.

The wife's sister was around last week and brought the new boyfriend with her. We got to talking about cars. He said, "Have you seen the Audi R8?" I said, "Have you seen the RS6 IN THE GARAGE?" That felt good.

DHall1
March 28th, 2009, 16:43
Andy,

We all tend to get fired up about things like the DRC failures. But, in reality there is nothing I would rather drive. There is hope for the DRC and I hope it solves the problem. I dont want to install coilovers.

Go have a look at our Mulholland drive threads and pics. We had 7 RS6s and 4 or 5 R8s at that event. One of the R8s ran most of the run behind me. That was fun. We could gap the group at a drop of a hat when things got tight.

My next Audi will be the R8. Garage will have the RS6 and R8. Then I am done.

Welcome aboard. Audi engineers rock. The North America marketing guys have been sliding.... Including eliminating the transferrability of cars CPO'd these days.

But the cars rock.

Maybe the DRC issue is a ray of hope. I do know they care now.

A side story related to yours...an R8 in town hung a U-turn and pulled off the road to talk to *me* last week about the RS6 while i was refueling. :lovl: (and, yes, I admit it...I did ask if he would be willing to trade). How awesome is it that the cars can keep up with each other, and we have 4 doors!!??

DHall1
April 1st, 2009, 04:11
Another data point for a very well kept car.

30k seems like a fair price for a pristine car with ~50k

Clean cars still demand good prices. There is no hole in the floor of these cars. The big hit is taken and now clean, pristine examples will command top dollar. IMHO

Auction cars.....well, go in with your eyes open is all I can say.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18088

http://2003rs6.shutterfly.com/

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130295596045&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&viewitem

Copper
April 1st, 2009, 04:48
I'm getting off-line offers of $35K to $36K so the RS6 market is not so terrible. If you can find a better example, then STFU, leave me alone and go buy it.

DHall1
April 1st, 2009, 06:09
NOW WERE TALKING!

Copper-like we were talking about this week. Show me a car as clean as yours with the MODS/FIDELITY EXT WARRANTY/RNSE/PRISTINE CONDITION and I will eat my shorts.

Hang on for your 41k! or mod the beast some more.

I'm getting off-line offers of $35K to $36K so the RS6 market is not so terrible. If you can find a better example, then STFU, leave me alone and go buy it.

GEN XER
April 1st, 2009, 18:29

I find myself in this situation with my SRT8. Low ball offers on an already low offer, then they through in the economy like everyone who is selling a Big V-8 or a luxo car is suffering from the effects of the economy. My 06 SRT has 19,540 miles on it and I have it listed at 23,900 well under KBB. I get this yahoo on a 300 forum tell me he has 18K cash he will give me right now, I laugh, I can get that from Carmax, and tell him to come up with $5,500 more and he can have it, then I tell him that everything I got I can afford and that I am not a victim of the economy. I have not gotten a response from him. In the end Im not giving the car away, before I do that, I will go ahead and buy the house Im waiting to buy and put it in the garage until all this passes over.

BenA
April 1st, 2009, 19:15
After lusting and searching for about a year, I just completed the purchase of my RS6 (trading up from my beloved 2002 Audi A6 4.2 with sport package). Some of you may have seen this RS6 online at cars.com... it was listed for $25k at Marazzi Nissan in Naples, FL. It has 52k miles on it, and I would list it as being in "very good" (but not perfect/excellent like many of yours) condition. It is daytona grey with silver/black interior. It has the sound enhancing exhaust, but no other options (carbon fiber inlays, warm/cold weather packages). I talked to the second owner (a car fanatic doctor or dentist in FL) who traded it in on a new GT-R. Since he had nothing to gain/lose by not telling me the truth, it was great to talk to him. He bought the car in Las Vegas after a thorough inspection - the hood and trunk had been replaced (can tell because some paint is chipped off the nuts holding them on) but everything else was straight and all panel fit and color match was excellent. He could not tell if maybe something fell on the car or what, but he (who had a previous RS6 as well) never noticed any other issues. He serviced it by the book and never skimped (which was confirmed with records from the dealer). He took it to Hoppen Motorsport where the Stage 2 MTM tuning was done (reportedly 510hp,509lbs/ft), and I confirmed this with Hoppen. He never raced the car - just drove it to work - and never had any problems - truly loved the car. He did say that he once pulled over a piece of rebar sticking out of a parking curb which poked a hole in the front bumper- then he replaced it -- just cosmetic damage (but I did notice the front parking assist doesn't work). The carfax report was clean except for the front bumper replacement as reported by second owner, so I guess "what happens in Vegas" really does stay in Vegas. Before I bought the car, the DRC was replaced per the new Audi recall/replacement agreement - and I have the supporting paperwork to show that (and it was verified by 3rd party inspector).

Thinking this deal was too good to be true, I had the car driven by a few other "car guys" I know and I paid an experienced inspector to spend a half day literally combing over the whole car mechanically/electrically/paint thickness testing/etc. The inspector came back with a very thorough report, but really nothing significantly negative to report... things like a few LED lights are not as bright in the dash data display, the RS6 emblem on the steering wheel shows wear, some very small paint chips here and there (which is OK with me... I have a 4-year-old and 1-year-old who are unfortunately bound to ram their toys into it at least a few more times... why pay more to have perfect paint?), very small "door ding" dent on left rear quarter panel, and NAV system doesn't work. Also, there is some light "curbing" damage on the wheels and the Conti tires have less than 5k left on them (which also didn't matter to me because I have RS4 wheels and tires waiting for install).

Brakes are brand new all around, timing belt was done at 35k, and all other mechanical/electrical systems checked out fine.

The car was actually "sold" by the Nissan dealership when I first visited, but their first buyer didn't show up with a check... so I benefited from them wanting to have been rid of this. I got the feeling that the Nissan salesperson I was working with had no idea what this car was and they just wanted it out of their inventory (current economic conditions impact on their dealership didn't help them).
In the end, I bought the car for $21k and feel like I got a FANTASTIC deal. Again, I know it's not "perfect" and I'll say that I was willing to spend up to twice that much to land one of these beauties.

So now, I'll head to Audi to get a Fidelity Warranty and go from there. I think it will serve me well and I look forward to thousands of fun miles.

If anyone thinks they may know this car and/or the "rest" of the Vegas story, please let me know. I'd like to fit all the pieces together out of my own curiosity-- but even if this car was somehow completely totalled and cobbled back together with pieces, I feel like I got a good deal.

DHall1
April 1st, 2009, 19:16
Willie,

I sold my STI last fall.

If you think there are lowballers on the SRT front...imagine the STI.

My 04STI/purchased new/low mileage......there was no friggin way on this earth that I would give that car away. I spent my time looking over several sale sites and the current market pricing. Took into account my modifications and the condition of the car then placed a local ad in the Denver Craigslist.

Calls and emails started coming in the first day. Lowballers out of the woodwork from every corner of the world. I told them all right up front. My price is researched and firm. If you want a perfect car...drive up here (Breckenridge) and look at my car. I will not give out or accept any lower offers. Period. If you really want a perfect car...drive up here and you will buy my car. End of story.

It took 1 week for one of them to drive up and look at my car. The car was sold on the spot for full asking price. I was so pleased the car was going to someone of that nature that I threw in all kinds of little extras that I had for the car. Its not about the money per say....its just the mutual respect for both sides. That guy got a super car that was well kept. He was very very happy.

I wish I could keep all my cars but 6 vehicles is enough and I cant part with some of my older Toyota performance cars just yet. They are somewhat rare and hard to find in the condition I have them.

Good luck with your sale.

I find myself in this situation with my SRT8. Low ball offers on an already low offer, then they through in the economy like everyone who is selling a Big V-8 or a luxo car is suffering from the effects of the economy. My 06 SRT has 19,540 miles on it and I have it listed at 23,900 well under KBB. I get this yahoo on a 300 forum tell me he has 18K cash he will give me right now, I laugh, I can get that from Carmax, and tell him to come up with $5,500 more and he can have it, then I tell him that everything I got I can afford and that I am not a victim of the economy. I have not gotten a response from him. In the end Im not giving the car away, before I do that, I will go ahead and buy the house Im waiting to buy and put it in the garage until all this passes over.

DHall1
April 1st, 2009, 19:26
Very good job at researching this example. I noticed the ad made no mention of the MTM mods but did say 525hp. I can see the paint color change but for 21k and the mods. If it were doctor owned and serviced...your golden if you get Fidelity.

If the doc purchased a GT-R...then your buying this car good.

Thanks for the story.

After lusting and searching for about a year, I just completed the purchase of my RS6 (trading up from my beloved 2002 Audi A6 4.2 with sport package). Some of you may have seen this RS6 online at cars.com... it was listed for $25k at Marazzi Nissan in Naples, FL. It has 52k miles on it, and I would list it as being in "very good" (but not perfect/excellent like many of yours) condition. It is daytona grey with silver/black interior. It has the sound enhancing exhaust, but no other options (carbon fiber inlays, warm/cold weather packages). I talked to the second owner (a car fanatic doctor or dentist in FL) who traded it in on a new GT-R. Since he had nothing to gain/lose by not telling me the truth, it was great to talk to him. He bought the car in Las Vegas after a thorough inspection - the hood and trunk had been replaced (can tell because some paint is chipped off the nuts holding them on) but everything else was straight and all panel fit and color match was excellent. He could not tell if maybe something fell on the car or what, but he (who had a previous RS6 as well) never noticed any other issues. He serviced it by the book and never skimped (which was confirmed with records from the dealer). He took it to Hoppen Motorsport where the Stage 2 MTM tuning was done (reportedly 510hp,509lbs/ft), and I confirmed this with Hoppen. He never raced the car - just drove it to work - and never had any problems - truly loved the car. He did say that he once pulled over a piece of rebar sticking out of a parking curb which poked a hole in the front bumper- then he replaced it -- just cosmetic damage (but I did notice the front parking assist doesn't work). The carfax report was clean except for the front bumper replacement as reported by second owner, so I guess "what happens in Vegas" really does stay in Vegas. Before I bought the car, the DRC was replaced per the new Audi recall/replacement agreement - and I have the supporting paperwork to show that (and it was verified by 3rd party inspector).

Thinking this deal was too good to be true, I had the car driven by a few other "car guys" I know and I paid an experienced inspector to spend a half day literally combing over the whole car mechanically/electrically/paint thickness testing/etc. The inspector came back with a very thorough report, but really nothing significantly negative to report... things like a few LED lights are not as bright in the dash data display, the RS6 emblem on the steering wheel shows wear, some very small paint chips here and there (which is OK with me... I have a 4-year-old and 1-year-old who are unfortunately bound to ram their toys into it at least a few more times... why pay more to have perfect paint?), very small "door ding" dent on left rear quarter panel, and NAV system doesn't work. Also, there is some light "curbing" damage on the wheels and the Conti tires have less than 5k left on them (which also didn't matter to me because I have RS4 wheels and tires waiting for install).

Brakes are brand new all around, timing belt was done at 35k, and all other mechanical/electrical systems checked out fine.

The car was actually "sold" by the Nissan dealership when I first visited, but their first buyer didn't show up with a check... so I benefited from them wanting to have been rid of this. I got the feeling that the Nissan salesperson I was working with had no idea what this car was and they just wanted it out of their inventory (current economic conditions impact on their dealership didn't help them).
In the end, I bought the car for $21k and feel like I got a FANTASTIC deal. Again, I know it's not "perfect" and I'll say that I was willing to spend up to twice that much to land one of these beauties.

So now, I'll head to Audi to get a Fidelity Warranty and go from there. I think it will serve me well and I look forward to thousands of fun miles.

If anyone thinks they may know this car and/or the "rest" of the Vegas story, please let me know. I'd like to fit all the pieces together out of my own curiosity-- but even if this car was somehow completely totalled and cobbled back together with pieces, I feel like I got a good deal.

BenA
April 1st, 2009, 19:44
Very good job at researching this example. I noticed the ad made no mention of the MTM mods but did say 525hp. I can see the paint color change but for 21k and the mods. If it were doctor owned and serviced...your golden if you get Fidelity.

If the doc purchased a GT-R...then your buying this car good.

Thanks for the story.
I noticed they changed the ad after they accepted by offer (after I told them a little more about what it was). No idea where they got the 525hp and I don't even know if the 510/509 I was told is correct... just going by what Hoppen told me... and not sure I could even tell the difference between 450 and 525 HP anyway. They later said they revised the ad in case the buyer (in this case me) didn't show up with a check again.

FYI - the doc did say that the GT-R is about the only other car he's driven that consistently outperformed and outdrove the RS6 (which is why he bought it). I'd say that's pretty good company.

DHall1
April 1st, 2009, 19:48
If the new GT-R were not so ugly....I would take one for a test drive. LOL

I would rather have the older version GT-R vspec. Inline 6 twin turbo monster that looked like a monster should.

I also think we have a member here that has both. If not two members with both. GT-R and RS6.

I noticed they changed the ad after they accepted by offer (after I told them a little more about what it was). No idea where they got the 525hp and I don't even know if the 510/509 I was told is correct... just going by what Hoppen told me... and not sure I could even tell the difference between 450 and 525 HP anyway. They later said they revised the ad in case the buyer (in this case me) didn't show up with a check again.

FYI - the doc did say that the GT-R is about the only other car he's driven that consistently outperformed and outdrove the RS6 (which is why he bought it). I'd say that's pretty good company.

DHall1
April 1st, 2009, 19:53
A car before its time

2002 GT-R vspec

First car around the ring in less than 8 minutes.

Yellow RS6
April 1st, 2009, 20:57
Last night, I got an offline offer of $25K, which isn't TOO bad. But today, some joker made an offer, through ebay, for $19,400! :eye:

I did refrain from replying back to him and just declined his "offer". But that prompted me to fix my listing to automatically decline offers below a certain amount, which should save some aggravation.

DuckWingDuck
April 2nd, 2009, 16:55
skylines are beautiful. Just saw one tooling around the 405 right before I left for Puerto Rico.

DHall1
April 2nd, 2009, 17:25
If prices were not so over inflated because of the DOT certification. I would already own one. Back in the day before the Skyline importer was thrown in jail. The prices were in the 80k range for a used Skyline. Just plain nuts.

And yes, they are monsters were we own beasts. Both cars in a class by themselves.

:addict:

skylines are beautiful. Just saw one tooling around the 405 right before I left for Puerto Rico.

STaley
April 2nd, 2009, 17:27
Well.. I finally took the plunge! and picked me one up! It belonged to one of my customers since it was fairly new.

50k miles.
I'm Stoked!

http://www.staleys.us/pictures/cars/RS6/audi2.JPG

DuckWingDuck
April 2nd, 2009, 17:31
congrats!