PDA

View Full Version : Another (Dumb) Wheel Questions for Those Who Went Aftermarket

Copper
March 24th, 2009, 21:11
So, now that the RS6 will end up being a hobby vehicle since I got frustrated with it being in the shop so much due to DRC, I'm open to freely modify the car.

I pick up my car tomorrow after they have flushed and refilled the DRC system. I have to wait until August to get the upgraded DRC parts.

Anyway, for those of you that have gone with aftermarket wheels:

1. What happens to the tire pressure sensors? Does the system throw a fault or is there a way to bypass it and/or install the sensors into the aftermarkt wheels?

2. If I wanted to purchase 19" wheels, what are the exact measurements I need to look for (offset, etc.)?

3. I have read that the 18" stock RS6 wheels are very strong (Magnesium?) and that some aftermarket wheels may not be strong enough to handle the extra weight of the RS6. Any manufacturer recommendations and style/types that are known to work and be safe? I know MTM is one and of course the euro RS6+ 19" is another. Any others to consider? I don't want to go bigger than 19".

4. I have seen many wheels on eBay that claim to work on the RS6. Anyone have experience with those?

By the way, I am super impressed with the Gen 7 Nissan Maxima so far. If anyone is considering a daily driver I highly recommend it.

DHall1
March 24th, 2009, 21:35
Were any parts replaced to refill the DRC? Did the dealer order that special tool kit? Let us know what it rides like.

Rims...I would copy the MTM backspace as the max that will fit.

19/9.5 with 30mm backspace. I would say that is max.

I would also just say NO to any wheel on Ebay that says it will work.

IMHO

So, now that the RS6 will end up being a hobby vehicle since I got frustrated with it being in the shop so much due to DRC, I'm open to freely modify the car.

I pick up my car tomorrow after they have flushed and refilled the DRC system. I have to wait until August to get the upgraded DRC parts.

Anyway, for those of you that have gone with aftermarket wheels:

1. What happens to the tire pressure sensors? Does the system throw a fault or is there a way to bypass it and/or install the sensors into the aftermarkt wheels?

2. If I wanted to purchase 19" wheels, what are the exact measurements I need to look for (offset, etc.)?

3. I have read that the 18" stock RS6 wheels are very strong (Magnesium?) and that some aftermarket wheels may not be strong enough to handle the extra weight of the RS6. Any manufacturer recommendations and style/types that are known to work and be safe? I know MTM is one and of course the euro RS6+ 19" is another. Any others to consider? I don't want to go bigger than 19".

4. I have seen many wheels on eBay that claim to work on the RS6. Anyone have experience with those?

By the way, I am super impressed with the Gen 7 Nissan Maxima so far. If anyone is considering a daily driver I highly recommend it.

SAF
March 24th, 2009, 23:33

There are no tire pressure sensors. Just break pad wear sensors.

hahnmgh63
March 25th, 2009, 00:10
Cooper, if your car is a North America car there are no tire pressure sensors but if you live in Europe you may have it but it can be turned off with Vagcom. The stock wheels are strong, but very heavy cast aluminum (Definitely not Magnesium). Expensive and strong but good would be one of the Forged aluminum wheels from various manufacturers such as BBS (My fav. RS-GT, LM's, RGR), and others.

DuckWingDuck
March 25th, 2009, 01:48
ya, the stock rims are H-E-A-V-Y!!!!! Mark and I both have the RS-GT, except he was smart and got the 19s while yours truly went with 20s. As a daily driver, the larger wheels make the ride bumpy! As a track car, the larger wheels makes the car a bit more unwieldly. So, I think 19 is the right fitment. BBS is a good brand. HRE look good but they are heavy. I think Drew was contemplating selling his DPE, I thought those look pretty good.

And ya, forged aluminum is where you should be looking. Though that carbon fibre set that the dude from Louisiana and Grizz are running seem mighty interesting!

Yellow RS6
March 25th, 2009, 13:31
Copper - around what time are you picking it up? I'm picking mine up today too and it would be cool to finally meet a fellow RS6-er.
John

Copper
March 25th, 2009, 21:19
Not until Thursday. They "forgot" to investigate the loud squeak coming from the rear of the car.

Copper
March 25th, 2009, 21:20
Well, good news about the TPS not installed on the US cars. Very good news and thank you for that information.

SAF
March 25th, 2009, 23:48
There are no tire pressure sensors. Just break pad wear sensors.

OK WTF, who went in there and messed with my spelling?! :doh: