PDA

View Full Version : Clear paint protection for RS6

gregoryindiana
August 12th, 2003, 03:43
Now that there are a few RS6's stateside, have any of you lucky ones put on the clear paint protection (Armourfend is one brand name in Europe).

I had it on the C4S I sold, and I'm sold on that to protect the front of the car, the front 25% of the hood, and the flared fender lips.

It has to be custom cut for the car, I believe, and based on the way different front, at least, I'm sure a kit from an S6 would not fit the RS6.

Any sources of quality material in the US? I have a detail shop that is more than up to the job, but their supplier is drawing a blank on this model because of the lomited production and the newness. I really don't want to pile on the miles on the local roads, full of sand and gravel trucks and whatnot, until I have some protection.

Thanks in advance.

Bauer
August 12th, 2003, 04:08
Gregory,

3M makes a protective film and I had a rep who was at the car wash I goto tell me that they had the front of a RS6 already fitted. I can try and find out if there is a distributor in your area.

Bauer

01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 ordered

jimmy94507
August 12th, 2003, 07:02
This is a timely question. I share your concern of sand and rocks. I will not drive my car much on the freeway until it is protected.

I went to the Stonegard site and they show a kit for the RS6. They really don't have an installer who is convenient for where I live.

I went to the Xpel site and they show a kit for the A6 4.2, but not the RS6. I have been working with the local Xpel installer (Antioch, CA) who measured my dealers 1st RS6 vs an A6 4.2 and discussed this with the Xpel kit designers. I also exchanged e-mails with Xpel themselves. They claimed their local Audi dealer in San Antonio did not have the RS 6 in stock. However, someone posted on this site that they had a car, so I e-mailed Xpel with the name, phone # and contact for the San Antonio Audi dealer. Now that I have my RS 6 I also took photos of the front bumper of it and my 4.2, both with a scale, and sent them off to Xpel.

My installer returns from his Hawaii vacation on Thrus. and will be installing on my car on Friday. Hopefully, the designers will have come up with a kit by then; if not, he will custom cut the lower front bumper. I will keep this thread posted on my experience.

Ben, do you recall which kit the guy you met at the car wash was talking about? Most of these kit suppliers use the 3M film for their kits.

Regards, Jim

JP4
August 12th, 2003, 14:45
I've talked with a local installer in the St. Louis area and at this point we're planning on doing a custom install for the body panel portions. I intend to get the lense covers from Xpel. I used them for my 4.2 and did not regret it. Can someone confirm for me and others that the headlight lense covers are EXACTLY the same dimensions as the A6 4.2/S6? That would be very helpful.

nene
August 12th, 2003, 15:10
I'm not sure what my dealership used. As part of the closing deal, they were offering a few in-dealer options such as Lojack with Early Warning Detection, In-Tire, and also Audo Banhd (sp?).

In-Tire covers the stock wheels and tires in case they get damaged.

Audo Bahnd is the film that they put in the front and rear of the car that protects against rocks and scratches. They did a very nice job. I did not get that on the S4, and I've been very sorry since. I'm not sure who the installer or the brand of film used, but I could find out for any Boston area peeps.

Wondering if other dealerships were offering similar options. Maybe some of you folks did not spend enough time at the dealership to find out, since once you get the RS6, you want out as fast as possible. Can't blame you.

Benman
August 12th, 2003, 15:22
nene,

if you don't mind me asking, what was the dealer charging for the clear bra installation? i've heard of other dealers charging $800- $975. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

jimmy94507
August 12th, 2003, 15:26
Latest status e-mail just came in from Xpel:
"We started patterning this vehicle yesterday and the design should be
completed today pending weather conditions as it is supposed to hail like
crazy today! We plan to confirm the desing on the RS6 at the San Antonio dealer,
assuming it isn't out for demos all day. Check back with me
this afternoon and I will give you an update."

I just called them, and I will call them later today and post another update this evening. He advised people should check their Web site for the product, but recognize that it takes a couple days for the Web site updates to get incorporated due to many new designs in process.
However, your installer can access the pattern when it is available, perhaps as early as tomorrow?

Best regards, Jim

nene
August 12th, 2003, 16:39
Hi Ben,

About $800 sounds about right. They did the front, and also rear of the car. Rear of the car is mostly the rear bumper, especially the corner sections.
They did a pretty good job though. Since I've never had this done before, I was not sure if it was too much, but the RS6 is a large car, so it seemed like a decent price. I did not want to go out there again without it.

Finnus
August 13th, 2003, 12:35
Could you guys post the links to some of these companies?

Thanks,

Finnus

Erik
August 13th, 2003, 12:42
Originally posted by Finnus
Could you guys post the links to some of these companies?

;) http://www.google.com/

http://www.xpel.com/

Also check this: www.armourfend.com (not working?)
http://www.armourfendamerica.com/

At least check this out:
http://www.armourfendamerica.com/Shop/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=360&ph=cat&keywords=&recor=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=

jimmy94507
August 13th, 2003, 15:41
Hi all,

Just received confirmation from Xpel - they have completed the kit for the RS 6. It will be uploaded today or tomorrow. This is great for me since my installer has scheduled to install the kit Friday morning.

I'll post the results and prices when the installation has been completed. I have some extra areas I want done and other areas suggested by the installer, based on his experience with other hi-end exotics.

Full report when it has been completed. Note: prices may vary depending on your installer and amount of custom work. The early estimate for the full kit (hood, fenders, mirrors, bumper, lights) was $770 plus any additional custom work.

Best regards, Jim

Mr. Fru-T Pants
August 13th, 2003, 22:40
For what it's worth, for all considering a clear bra...:

I have used StonGard in the past, and it is a worthy product. Almost everyone out there doing the kits uses a 3M product for the forms. While this is also a worthy consideration, I will impart to you that the film itself DOES chip and is not impervious to small rocks and grit. Most kits as well use seams to make the installation easier, which tend to collect debris/grit/grime, as do the edges. If you want a thicker product which is custom fit to each car, using the fewest number of seams possible, I would SERIOUSLY advise going with ClearBra as the manufacturer. Their product is NOT a 3M film, is more hardy and durable, and covers the entire hood(heck, the whole car), of your car if you so desire. This has several benefits, including increased protection, minimal paint color fluctuations over the hood surface(due to the color of the film fading, which is inevitable), and increased longevity due to fewer edges being present.

There is always a catch. ClearBra does not have many installers who are set up to do the install, and the most cost-effective way to do it is to organize a group install. 8-12, 12-15, and 15-18 were the majic numbers for their discount points, IIRC. THe cars don't have to be one make, model, or anything. One must simply organize the install, and the installers fly out to your hometown to make it happen. If you want the best, IMO, this is the way to go. www.clearbra.net compare for yourself. I am not affiliated with them. I simply did the homework. 1-800-400-7668
Peace,
Fru-T

Finnus
August 14th, 2003, 01:04
HELP!!! ...

Has anyone considered these applications and decided not to move forward? Some of the issues seem to include fading, chipping, and dirt build-up.

The 3M would seem to be a good product, but for the dirt build-up at the seams and the chipping. The ClearBra has limited installers - has it had the widespread use and testing that the 3M products have? (3M claims 10 years of testing.)

Thanks in advance for your comments and points-of-view.

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

jimmy94507
August 14th, 2003, 03:15
I have not had any experience with any of the clear protective films on my cars. I have heard reports from numerous people that they have been glad they had protection (using different suppliers). My son has had Xpel on his M3 since January and is very glad he has it. As Mr-fru-t P has posted, the 3M film will get scarred from a hard rock impact. But, so far, my son has not experienced any damage that went completely thru the film and chipped the paint. He has not reported any problems with crud at the edges of the film.

To see the kit on-line:
Note: You must specify 2004 Audi and select RS6 (I have e-mailed them that it is a 2003 model)
http://www.xpel.com
Select "Shop", Enter "2004", Choose "Audi", Choose RS6 to view the kits.
Use the ZIP Code search to find an installer in your area.

For Texas installations: Contact Michael Mayall
Reflex Enterprises Technical Support
Voice (800) 447-9928 x 201
Fax (210) 342-8114
mmayall@xpel.com

I will post the results of my installation this Friday, 8/15, probably after I get back from the "Historics" weekend in Monterey.

Regards, Jim

gregoryindiana
August 14th, 2003, 04:49
Thanks everyone for all the helpful input.

My dealer for this car is about 200 miles away, so I will have to go "bare" for that distance when I take delivery at the dealer. I don't have the option of enclosed transport, and wouldn't want to leave the car there waiting on me even if i did.

The mention of Stongard in one of the posts reminded me that that was the product I had on my now departed 97 C4S. I had the full coverage option plus the headlights. I especially lliked the way their product curled in and protected the painted area inside the 993 wheelwells. The rear fenders on those cars stuck out also, right into the spray off the front wheels, especially when cornering hard, and the protection that Porsche had there was neither high enough nor far enough back on the flares.

So at this point, I have no reason not to go with Stongard for the RS6, that I can see. They already have the dimensions templated, or so it seems from their website. I will talk to their rep before I finally commit.

gregoryindiana
August 14th, 2003, 04:55
forgot to mention;

from what i saw on the ClearBra website linked, it looks like there aren't any installers closer to me than about Denver!!!

So Stongard is still my choice

dabull
August 14th, 2003, 22:02
[COLOR=darkblue][COLOR=darkblue]I emailed Stongard and got the name of the local distributor for Columbus Ohio. Called them and they gave me the names and numbers of the 3 local installers. Called all three of them and they all denied any knowledge that they in fact were dealers for Stongard. I have communicated directly with Stongard and they are confused with the beforementioned and are going to investigate it further. Once again I would guess that it is another example of employees not knowing more about their jobs than their own benefits. Makes me kind of shaky though concerning installation even if Stongard can get me connected to the right person at each of the dealers.

I don't know about coating the entire hood with anything, kind of defeats the purpose of maintaining the beauty of the car doesn't it? Reminds me a little of folks putting plastic covers on their couches and chairs in the "good" room in the house that everyone then avoided like the plaque. I want to take appropriate measures to try to avoid allot of road rash but I still want to be able to feel and wax the beautiful finish on the car. No insults intended , to each his own, just my opinion. :addict: :addict:

jimmy94507
August 15th, 2003, 06:01
I posted yesterday that you had to enter 2004 to get to the RS6 kits. I received a reply from Xpel today that they have corrected the site and you can get to the RS6 kit by entering 2003.

I'll post how my install goes in the morning.

Regards, Jim