PDA

View Full Version : New here: Anyone here dare to turn the wrench on their own RS6?

cletus141
March 24th, 2009, 15:13
Looking at getting an RS6 and weighing my options regarding warranty and even then, what happens when my warranty runs out.

I know the RS6 is a complicated beast, but I'm wondering if someone with an ME degree, a Bentley manual and an good amount of experience turning a wrench can feasibly take care of their own ride. As far as I can tell, the only reasons that I've read up on to get a warranty, in my case, would be the DRC and the transmission. I have patience and a couple extra vehicles too.

It sounds as if Audi might be solving the DRC issue come summer (key word: might). If they don't, I'd go with the aftermarket setup I keep reading about. As far as the transmission goes, I've read about some aftermarket transmissions and torque converters that are beefed up to help handle some of our (hopefully soon to be our) glut of muscle.

Just looking for some opinions. I think that if you remove labor, DRC, and transmission, it could take a while to get to $4Gs in parts. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks guys.

DHall1
March 24th, 2009, 15:34
Pretty much the same crew over here as AW.

Same answer but I hear you on your attempt to just service the car yourself. I too have quite a bit of mechanical knowledge and have never purchased an extended warranty until two of the current cars we have sitting in the garage. RS6 and E55 AMG. We can go on and on about the what if's but it comes down to time and space for me. "I could" if I really wanted to...R&R the engine and trans. I would need a lift and a few VAG special tools...but I could do it. I just dont wish to at this time. Sure, I will perform 90% of the routine maint and save on brakes and such. (See my EBC red threads)

The parts cost are thru the roof on these things and even if you saved on labor the parts cost will kill you. I say choose your battles and move on. In my case...the Audi/Fidelity 6yr/72,000 mile plan cost me $3,000. This takes me out to 2014 and 100,000 total miles. In my book it was a no brainer. My exposure is nill and I will make that 3000 investment work for me.

Then, at 100k....we will see what this car does for me. I may keep it at that point and then perform all the service and repair myself. Till then....I have 70k miles to rail on the beast without having to buy a car lift.

Looking at getting an RS6 and weighing my options regarding warranty and even then, what happens when my warranty runs out.

I know the RS6 is a complicated beast, but I'm wondering if someone with an ME degree, a Bentley manual and an good amount of experience turning a wrench can feasibly take care of their own ride. As far as I can tell, the only reasons that I've read up on to get a warranty, in my case, would be the DRC and the transmission. I have patience and a couple extra vehicles too.

It sounds as if Audi might be solving the DRC issue come summer (key word: might). If they don't, I'd go with the aftermarket setup I keep reading about. As far as the transmission goes, I've read about some aftermarket transmissions and torque converters that are beefed up to help handle some of our (hopefully soon to be our) glut of muscle.

Just looking for some opinions. I think that if you remove labor, DRC, and transmission, it could take a while to get to $4Gs in parts. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks guys.

cletus141
March 24th, 2009, 15:37
Thanks for the input D.

terrytcl
March 24th, 2009, 16:07
here's my 2 cents -

I'm a BME - specialized in EE, but have been doing more ME ever since I graduated.

I have been turning wrenches since my first car back in 94.

Most of the work is very doable on the RS6. Engineering wise, I wish they had designed the vehicle better for serviceability, however you can clearly tell that they squeezed the 4.2tt in there. let's just say, some things are nearly impossible due to because of the limited space to get tools or hands to loosen or remove fasteners.

I plan on doing my own timing belt change as well as replacing all of the seals (cam seal, valve cover seal). I have a bently, but a lot of instructions in the bently are vague. Torque specs are important and do exist in the manual. I'll try and put together some DIY instructions.

I do have one for replacing the spark plugs and the PCV valve. Just haven't had time to finish up on it. Soon though.

As for the tranny and DRC, hopefully the DRC fix will resolve that. If not, going the coilover route is the easiest. the suspension on the RS6 is actually very easy to work on due to the fact that the upper and lower arms are separated and can be removed separately. just cross your fingers that they aren't fused with corrosion.

If you want to tackle the tranny and you have a cherry picker, you can remove the entire engine/tranny with the subframe attached. basically, you remove the entire front end of the vehicle with radiator support and either move the vehicle away from the engine / tranny assembly, or vice versa. Send the tranny and TC to IPT.

cletus141
March 24th, 2009, 16:12
thanks all for the info.