PDA

View Full Version : New and thinking about buying an rs6

sheatisdale
March 23rd, 2009, 17:22
I'm new to the forum and thinking about becoming new to the rs6 world. I've been contemplating buying one for a while and I'm looking for any advice and wisdom I can get from the community.

I've spoken to a few dealers that have them and I've gotten quotes for an extended warranty.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger sometime in the next couple of months.

Thanks in advance.

DHall1
March 23rd, 2009, 17:30
Search button is your friend. We have covered the bases with this over and over again.

Its a great car with a few sore spots. The sore spots always seem to rear their ugly heads. DRC, Trans/Torque Converter are the biggest. Cover your exposure and have a back up car for when yours is in the shop for weeks at a time.

Its also a good time to buy as prices have never been so low. If you have several to choose from....you will get a good deal.

I'm new to the forum and thinking about becoming new to the rs6 world. I've been contemplating buying one for a while and I'm looking for any advice and wisdom I can get from the community.

I've spoken to a few dealers that have them and I've gotten quotes for an extended warranty.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger sometime in the next couple of months.

Thanks in advance.

SAFE4NOW
March 23rd, 2009, 21:48
Search button is your friend. We have covered the bases with this over and over again.

Its a great car with a few sore spots. The sore spots always seem to rear their ugly heads. DRC, Trans/Torque Converter are the biggest. Cover your exposure and have a back up car for when yours is in the shop for weeks at a time.

Its also a good time to buy as prices have never been so low. If you have several to choose from....you will get a good deal.

yeah, what he said. As long as you go in informed ( research here, audizine, etc ) and having an extended warranty, you will never regret your choice!

Good luck and if you get close on a car, make sure to drop a line here, there is alot of excellent advise. I am betting someone here will know something about the car you pick.

Steve

kwilson032003
March 23rd, 2009, 23:59
It took me some time to find one that I felt was worth the money, but I finally found one about three weeks ago. It was Avus Silver over black with 41000 miles on it. I believe it has every option that was available for the car. Anyway, I'm expecting the vehicle to be here sometime this week. I can't wait!!

PS
Before you buy one check your insurance rates.

sheatisdale
March 24th, 2009, 03:16
Anyone in North Carolina or nearby have one? I'd like to just sit in one to see if I would be comfortable.

I keep looking around for one in blue.

DHall1
March 24th, 2009, 05:12
Well,

You can sit in any C5 A6 4.2 with the sport package and get the feel for the RS6. Tell us about who you are and what your looking for in the car.

Blue....you should have looked into the MTM RS6 down at Crown Audi. They just sold it....29k ish with 50,000 miles.

Anyone in North Carolina or nearby have one? I'd like to just sit in one to see if I would be comfortable.

I keep looking around for one in blue.

DHall1
March 24th, 2009, 05:13
Congrats on the purchase. Which one did you get?

Good color choice...same as mine.

:cheers:

It took me some time to find one that I felt was worth the money, but I finally found one about three weeks ago. It was Avus Silver over black with 41000 miles on it. I believe it has every option that was available for the car. Anyway, I'm expecting the vehicle to be here sometime this week. I can't wait!!

PS
Before you buy one check your insurance rates.

sheatisdale
March 24th, 2009, 13:06
I haven't found one...yet...

Can an MTM be put under Audi extended warranty? I got a quote from a local dealer on the extended warranty for the rs6 and they priced me like this:

<50k miles 2yr24k $3095, 3yr36k $3738, 4yr48k $4423
>50k & <75k 2yr24k $3458, 3yr36k $4268 no 4yr option

I've also considered a 2005 or later A8L and it was interesting that the extended warranty on it was much more. The 2yr24k for a car with less than 50k miles was $4315. They said it was because of all the electronics in it.

About me: I'm an IT worker. I live in Durham, NC and I work about 25 miles away in North Raleigh. I have owned several performance/sports cars. I started with a 93 Taurus SHO, but sold it 3 years ago. I also have a 1997 Supra Twin Turbo, black on black and for a daily driver a 2006 Camry in grey with tan interior. I've debated replacing the Camry with the Audi since I have the Supra as a backup car, but I drive about 50 miles a day and I'm not sure I'd want to put that kind of mileage on an rs6. That's why I've thought about an A8L also. I wouldn't feel as bad driving it all the time. I do beleive in driving what I buy... If I buy it, I'm going to drive it at least one day a week. Otherwise, what point is there in having it.

I'm leaning toward the blue, but would also be happy with a black one. I just need to find one that is in good shape, has had the belts and such done and doesn't have DRC issues. So far, that's what I've gathered from reading here...

Thanks for all the replies.

DHall1
March 24th, 2009, 14:38
Well well,

Its nice to see some Supra guys getting the itch to get the beast. Given your history...you will love the RS6. Dont waste your time on anything else. IMHO

I have had 5 or 6 Supra turbo's and a TT. RS6 trumps everything including my wifes Supercharged AMG E55. And that E55 is a bad ass car.

Long debate on here about Audi Fidelity coverage on a modified car. You just have to be smart about it and it will get covered. Keep it under your hat.

Long story short....go drive a RS6. You will stop looking for anything else. Thats how I got hooked. I test drove a 911TT and then a RS6. RS6 wins that battle.

Can an MTM be put under Audi extended warranty? I got a quote from a local dealer on the extended warranty for the rs6 and they priced me like this:

I've also considered a 2005 or later A8L and it was interesting that the extended warranty on it was much more. The 2yr24k for a car with less than 50k miles was $4315. They said it was because of all the electronics in it.

About me: I'm an IT worker. I live in Durham, NC and I work about 25 miles away in North Raleigh. I have owned several performance/sports cars. I started with a 93 Taurus SHO, but sold it 3 years ago. I also have a 1997 Supra Twin Turbo, black on black and for a daily driver a 2006 Camry in grey with tan interior. I've debated replacing the Camry with the Audi since I have the Supra as a backup car, but I drive about 50 miles a day and I'm not sure I'd want to put that kind of mileage on an rs6. That's why I've thought about an A8L also. I wouldn't feel as bad driving it all the time. I do beleive in driving what I buy... If I buy it, I'm going to drive it at least one day a week. Otherwise, what point is there in having it.

I'm leaning toward the blue, but would also be happy with a black one. I just need to find one that is in good shape, has had the belts and such done and doesn't have DRC issues. So far, that's what I've gathered from reading here...

chairman2300
March 24th, 2009, 15:19
sheat

Once you drive the RS6, IT WILL BE YOUR DAILY DRIVER!

There is nothing else that compares to this car. I have driven many fast/really fast cars(911 turbo, SL55 AMG, Subaru STI, and Supra turbo). You can not find a car that matches the RS6 in so many different categories. Not to mention the value you are getting in todays market place.

Every morning I smile when I start my car.(Except when the check engine light is on)

Ben74
March 24th, 2009, 16:08
I'm an IT guy who lives in western WI. In early 2001 I flew to the Raleigh, NC area to purchase a '94 TT Supra and drive it back to WI. Loved the Supra for a little over a year until I had to sell it because I found out the my wife and I were having twins! I haven't owned a sports car since. I've been itching to get one, though, ever since losing the Supra. I test drove an '02 M5 last summer, but decided that the rear wheel drive would not be good in the WI winters. About 5 weeks ago I saw an RS6 listed for sale at a local auto dealership. I had never heard of the vehicle before, but looking at the specs got me interested very quickly. The all wheel drive is what made me seriously consider purchasing one. The first test drive was great. The power was simply amazing. It reminded me of the Supra, but even better. Less than two weeks after that first test drive, I ended up purchasing an RS6 from a dealership in the Minneapolis, MN area. So far, after only 3 weeks, I have no regrets. While I was out driving it the day after purchase, I couldn't seem to stop smiling. The more I drive it, the more I like it. It's exactly what I thought didn't exist... a 4-door sports car that can be driven in the winter. Anyway, that's my recent experience. Best of luck with finding the right one for you! If you have any questions, just ask.

Ben

DHall1
March 24th, 2009, 18:00
Ben,

Its funny really....the old time Supra crowd finding our way to the beast. Just one test drive seals the deal. Funny, I had the same experience.

I dusted off my Supra last weekend and took it off the moth balls per say. I will put some miles on it this spring and service all the tuning parameters to make sure its up to speed.

Post some pics of your ride!

Dave

I'm an IT guy who lives in western WI. In early 2001 I flew to the Raleigh, NC area to purchase a '94 TT Supra and drive it back to WI. Loved the Supra for a little over a year until I had to sell it because I found out the my wife and I were having twins! I haven't owned a sports car since. I've been itching to get one, though, ever since losing the Supra. I test drove an '02 M5 last summer, but decided that the rear wheel drive would not be good in the WI winters. About 5 weeks ago I saw an RS6 listed for sale at a local auto dealership. I had never heard of the vehicle before, but looking at the specs got me interested very quickly. The all wheel drive is what made me seriously consider purchasing one. The first test drive was great. The power was simply amazing. It reminded me of the Supra, but even better. Less than two weeks after that first test drive, I ended up purchasing an RS6 from a dealership in the Minneapolis, MN area. So far, after only 3 weeks, I have no regrets. While I was out driving it the day after purchase, I couldn't seem to stop smiling. The more I drive it, the more I like it. It's exactly what I thought didn't exist... a 4-door sports car that can be driven in the winter. Anyway, that's my recent experience. Best of luck with finding the right one for you! If you have any questions, just ask.

Ben

sheatisdale
March 25th, 2009, 02:56
I'm totally psyched now and really want an RS6. Would you think one would be reliable enough to be a daily driver with the Supra as backup?

Here is a pic of my 97 Supra.

DHall1
March 25th, 2009, 03:15
Yes, daily driver no problem.

Are those Blitz 03s? I like the setup.

Hurry up and get your RS6!

I'm totally psyched now and really want an RS6. Would you think one would be reliable enough to be a daily driver with the Supra as backup?

sheatisdale
March 25th, 2009, 03:23
You know your Supra gear. Yes, they are Blitz S03s.

I'm trying, but I need to figure out the money thing first and then find one.

DuckWingDuck
March 25th, 2009, 04:02
yes, my rs6 is a daily driver.

DHall1
March 25th, 2009, 06:37
Yeeks,

Price around the Audi/Fidelity policy.

I paid 3000 for a 6yr/72k Gold+ plan last year.

Those prices seem wacky....could be Fidelity has adjusted tables for the RS6. I dont think they are that smart.

chairman2300
March 25th, 2009, 14:40

Without a doubt. comfort, speed, beautiful
Your only problem will be the constant hard-on your first week:wo:

Mine is a daily driver... also daily child hauler... also daily grocery getter.. you get the picture...

Ben74
March 25th, 2009, 16:30

I'm using mine as a daily driver. I've only had it a few weeks, so I can't speak to reliability, but I trust the others who say it works well as a daily driver. In fact, I don't think you'd need that Supra as a backup... it'd just be taking up space for you after you realize how fun the RS6 is. In fact, I could do you a big favor and take the Supra off your hands for little to no cost! :)

Ben

p.s. I'll get pics posted as soon as we get a sunny do so I can get it cleaned a little. Unfortunately the 10-day forcast only shows one sunny day in it.

sheatisdale
March 25th, 2009, 21:23
Why are all the dealers quoting me outrageously high numbers for a warranty? Ugh!

Anyone know a dealer that will give me a fair deal on one?

DHall1
March 25th, 2009, 21:28
Its all mileage specific.

Example last year when I upped my policy.....my car had 26k. 6/72 Gold+ cost 3,000 dollars.

I almost purchased a car with 36k and the 4/48 was 3600.

hope that helps

Why are all the dealers quoting me outrageously high numbers for a warranty? Ugh!

Anyone know a dealer that will give me a fair deal on one?

Copper
March 25th, 2009, 21:45
I'm about to post my RS6 on eBay this weekend so stay tuned.

sheatisdale
March 25th, 2009, 22:10
save a listing fee and send it to me first.

DHall1
March 25th, 2009, 22:22
Its going to go top dollar or no sale.

Car has tons of add-ons, extended warranty/Fidelity and mods.

$$

save a listing fee and send it to me first.

kwilson032003
March 26th, 2009, 00:55
Thanks,

I started with this website, which scared the hell out of me about the DRC. So what I did is purchased a bulk of CarFaxes and started looking up RS6's with low miles, all the options that I wanted, and had the DRC replacements. I found one at a MB dealership in CO for $29900. I tried to work the price but was only able to get $500 dollars off. I ended up buying the car and it's do to arrive at my house this Sunday / Monday. I will post photos once it gets here.

K. Wilson

DHall1
March 26th, 2009, 01:04
Sorry if our DRC threads put the fear in ya. Dont worry, Audi is replacing all the shocks this fall and worst case you just put a set of coilover struts on.

Congrats on your purchase. Its a great car.

Thanks,

I started with this website, which scared the hell out of me about the DRC. So what I did is purchased a bulk of CarFaxes and started looking up RS6's with low miles, all the options that I wanted, and had the DRC replacements. I found one at a MB dealership in CO for $29900. I tried to work the price but was only able to get $500 dollars off. I ended up buying the car and it's do to arrive at my house this Sunday / Monday. I will post photos once it gets here.

K. Wilson

sheatisdale
March 26th, 2009, 01:13
About how you found a car. Did you find cars online (like autotrader, cars.com, etc) and get the vin numbers and then search them on car fax or did you search in car fax to find the cars?

kwilson032003
March 26th, 2009, 01:26
I searched every automotive website on the web and all the link that popped up while I was looking. (Yahoo, autotrader, cars.com, craigslist, cardomain,....) I was checking every hour are so until this one popped up. Like I said earlier it had every option with 41k miles. The guy told me that if I didn't buy it for the price they had it marked for, his manager was going to mark it up because of all the calls they had on the car.

DHall1
March 26th, 2009, 01:49
Where are you located?

Here is a nice one. I think he is a member here.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=252884320&dealer_id=63412019&car_year=2003&rdm=1238032046650&model=RS6&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=AUDI&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=85222&advanced=&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=1286&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

Another nice looking one in the SE.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=259079569&dealer_id=63861313&car_year=2003&rdm=1238032046650&model=RS6&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=AUDI&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=85222&advanced=&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=1567&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

These guys have 2 of them in CO

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=259382757&dealer_id=100028726&car_year=2003&rdm=1238032046650&num_records=25&model=RS6&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&first_record=26&make=AUDI&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=85222&advanced=&end_year=2010&pager.offset=25&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=613&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

I dont see why its so hard to find one. There are plenty of choices out there all priced right.

Hell, here is another one that looks good for 25k.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=258323500&dealer_id=598651&car_year=2003&rdm=1238032046650&num_records=25&model=RS6&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&first_record=26&make=AUDI&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=85222&advanced=&end_year=2010&pager.offset=25&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=1852&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

About how you found a car. Did you find cars online (like autotrader, cars.com, etc) and get the vin numbers and then search them on car fax or did you search in car fax to find the cars?

Roger
March 26th, 2009, 01:53
I've noticed that a few of you have cautioned about reliability and DRC issues when buying an RS6. While I understand that DRC has been a big problem for many of you, now that Audi has officially notified all owners that the system will be replaced under warranty do you still think it is a major concern when buying an RS6? I think it makes DRC a non-issue if Audi has agreed to replace it As far as reliability, my RS6 has never had an unscheduled service and never stayed at the dealer overnight. I still have the original, perfectly working DRC. I've had it since 2004. Just another point of view.

DHall1
March 26th, 2009, 02:06
And this one is the best deal out there for a car with 25k miles.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=259722153&dealer_id=63899223&car_year=2003&rdm=1238032046650&model=RS6&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=AUDI&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=85222&advanced=&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=311&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

I would laugh if someone told me that I should list my car for 39k. This car is a steal for that price.

Roger
March 26th, 2009, 02:11
That is a great deal, maybe i need a second one...

And this one is the best deal out there for a car with 25k miles.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=259722153&dealer_id=63899223&car_year=2003&rdm=1238032046650&model=RS6&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=AUDI&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=85222&advanced=&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=311&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

I would laugh if someone told me that I should list my car for 39k. This car is a steal for that price.

Turboluvr
March 26th, 2009, 05:03
Shea,
+1 to all above, miles make the difference in the extended warrenty. Under 30K miles you can get 6/60K Platinum for $3500. Take a drive up to Va Beach, Checkered Flag Audi, when you find a good car and ask for Darlene (sales manager).

AndrewNC
March 26th, 2009, 06:26
Durham, you say... :bye:

Yellow RS6
March 26th, 2009, 12:41
I've got 1 of 3 yellow ones in the US for sale, if you want something a little different.

DHall1
March 26th, 2009, 15:13
Now your selling again? 30k ish right?

I've got 1 of 3 yellow ones in the US for sale, if you want something a little different.

Yellow RS6
March 26th, 2009, 15:28
Now your selling again? 30k ish right?

It's always been for sale, I just wasn't really trying too hard. I had a couple bites but nothing happened, now I'm ready to go the full AutoTrader, ebay, etc., route if nothing happens through the forums in the next couple days. Yep, $30k but reasonable offers considered. ;)

sheatisdale
March 26th, 2009, 17:04
Wow, someone in Durham. Cool!

Anyone else on here from Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill or Greensboro???

AndrewNC
March 26th, 2009, 19:28
I know of a couple RS4's and few years back there was an RS6 in Chapel Hill, but that's all. Not sure about the triad.

Andrew