PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting mirror defrosters, help?

SAF
March 23rd, 2009, 16:11
After all these years I recently discovered that the RS6 outside mirrors are heated whenever ignition is on. Don't need them here in TX and am looking for information about the wiring. I have seen some Audi mirrors slide down a bit from too much heat on the glue backing, and besides, why have them going all the time?

Before I go exploring, does anyone know if there is a seperate plug within the housing just for the defrost function, or is it one plug that powers the motor and defroster? TIA.

DHall1
March 23rd, 2009, 17:33
Why not just turn them off? Can anyone confirm that the mirrors are off when you move the selector over?

After all these years I recently discovered that the RS6 outside mirrors are heated whenever ignition is on. Don't need them here in TX and am looking for information about the wiring. I have seen some Audi mirrors slide down a bit from too much heat on the glue backing, and besides, why have them going all the time?

Before I go exploring, does anyone know if there is a seperate plug within the housing just for the defrost function, or is it one plug that powers the motor and defroster? TIA.

SAF
March 23rd, 2009, 20:42
Umm, yeah...I can. There's no off position. Give me a little credit, will you?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3468/3370935036_b4d21fb2dc.jpg

xpl0sive
March 23rd, 2009, 20:46
i thought the heaters on the mirrors only came on when the rear defroster was on... that wouldnt make sense to have them heated all the time. as for your question, i'm pretty sure there's a fuse for the heated mirrors you can pull

hahnmgh63
March 23rd, 2009, 21:57
That is the way it is with all of the other Audi's I've ever had "i thought the heaters on the mirrors only came on when the rear defroster was on... " I wonder if there is something wrong with your switch? I turned mine on the other day after the car was running and they were cold until I turned the switch on for defog? Anyone else have experience similar to SAF? I would say either switch/wiring issue, maybe Audi changed the way they wired them in?

SAF
March 23rd, 2009, 22:54
I turned mine on the other day after the car was running and they were cold until I turned the switch on for defog?

Did you feel them before you pushed the rear window defogger button or after? (or was it the front defrost button?) What position was your mirror switch in at the time?

Unless Audi did sell these cars with different set-ups, maybe you are just thinking it does what you suggest since you probably push a defrost button when you first start up to drive away, but mirrors are actually doing their own thing.

Here's a new question:
Does anyone else have an RS6 owners manual that they can look at to see if it says what I scanned and posted? Because that states quite clearly that they should be on, which mine are.

xpl0sive
March 23rd, 2009, 22:57
so yours are on all the time? it might be like the door lock, where the heater only turns on when it gets cold... maybe thats what audi meant by "automatic"... i think they are only supposed to be heated either when the defroster is turned on, or when it's cold out...

Spidercat
March 23rd, 2009, 23:06
Mine are always warm when the car is on. The only reason I would know this is awhile back I stuck some small convex "fish-eye" mirrors on to increase the field of view for lane changing, and I was puzzled as to why my mirrors were warm. Can't remember when anything on this car was switched to the defrost setting ;)!

SAF
March 23rd, 2009, 23:11
Mine are always warm when the car is on. The only reason I would know this is awhile back I stuck some small convex "fish-eye" mirrors on to increase the field of view for lane changing, and I was puzzled as to why my mirrors were warm. Can't remember when anything on this car was switched to the defrost setting ;)!

Thank you sir.

I'd ask that people actually check this out on their cars and not just assume it is otherwise. I drove my car for years before a friend leaning on the mirror to talk to me while I sat in the running car asked me why they were warm.

DHall1
March 24th, 2009, 05:49
Uhhhh, my car is 1000 miles away. I cant reach that far and if I called my wife to run out in the garage and feel the mirrors....well, lets just say that aint gonna happen.

:rolleyes:

Thank you sir.

I'd ask that people actually check this out on their cars and not just assume it is otherwise. I drove my car for years before a friend leaning on the mirror to talk to me while I sat in the running car asked me why they were warm.

SAF
March 24th, 2009, 15:15
Uhhhh, my car is 1000 miles away. I cant reach that far and if I called my wife to run out in the garage and feel the mirrors....well, lets just say that aint gonna happen.

:rolleyes:

LOL, I understand that.

terrytcl
March 24th, 2009, 16:12
you can pop the door panel off and cut the wires going to the heated mirrors.
you can splice in connectors to connect them later if you ever needed them.

the door panel is very easy to remove on the c5 A6s.

SAF
March 24th, 2009, 18:03
you can pop the door panel off and cut the wires going to the heated mirrors.
you can splice in connectors to connect them later if you ever needed them.

the door panel is very easy to remove on the c5 A6s.

First I'd need to figure out if there is more than one wire feeding the housing and if so, which one it is. I wouldn't want to cut the power to the adjustment motors. I need a Bentley disc. :looking:

terrytcl
March 24th, 2009, 18:28
First I'd need to figure out if there is more than one wire feeding the housing and if so, which one it is. I wouldn't want to cut the power to the adjustment motors. I need a Bentley disc. :looking:

i'll find out for you.

SAF
March 24th, 2009, 18:59
Appreciate it!

Spidercat
March 24th, 2009, 21:33
Wait!!!! Don't cut your wires or remove your door panel!!!!
Just pop off the mirror glass instead (it's held in by a pressure clip on the backing). There are two black wires that run to it on the inboard side of the backing (these are just slide-connectors), and one set of wires with a plug connector on the outboard aspect. I don't know which ones are for the heater element and which are for the servo. I'd consult a repair manual to see which is which, or you could get unplug each until you got the desired result. Just be careful not to break the glass when popping it out.:mech:

SAF
March 24th, 2009, 23:15
Wait!!!! Don't cut your wires or remove your door panel!!!!
Just pop off the mirror glass instead (it's held in by a pressure clip on the backing). There are two black wires that run to it on the inboard side of the backing (these are just slide-connectors), and one set of wires with a plug connector on the outboard aspect. I don't know which ones are for the heater element and which are for the servo. I'd consult a repair manual to see which is which, or you could get unplug each until you got the desired result. Just be careful not to break the glass when popping it out.:mech:

Just what I needed to know (and the answer to my original question), there are two plugs. Thanks Spidercat!