PDA

View Full Version : My RS6 Update

Copper
March 20th, 2009, 19:24
Oh man. DRC. DRC. DRC. Where do I begin?

I bought a 2009 Nissan Maxima Sport Premium Plus Technology (Wow how about SPPT?). $42K discounted it to $30K since dealers are so desparate. Didn't even have to push very hard. I was the only person in the dealership.

So, back to the RS6. Called Audi Care hotline. Very nice people. They contacted the dealer and told them about the new parts arriving in August since when I spoke with them "we don't know anything about it". They are trying to tell me the didn't get a letter. I helped them out and printed the letter that went to the dealers and also to the RS6 owners. Me. Explaining to them. What is wrong with this picture?

Drove a Q7 to Orlando and back for a business trip. Gone for a week. I called them asking what the status is thinking they will want the new shiny Q7 back at some point. Service manager is still "researching it". It takes 1 1/2 weeks to "research" if my DRC has failed? Really?

Got pissed and called Audi Care. Told them I want my DRC fixed and fixed with the new parts NOW. If it can't be done now then buy may car for fair market value and they can enjoy the issues.

Service tech calls and says please, please come in and drive the car with the tech and speak with the Service Manager, I'm stuck in the middle. they didn't find anything wrong with your DRC. Now, when the DRC failed it failed so violently, I pulled over and called my Service tech and almost had the car towed, too nervous to drive it. No problem found. really?

So I ask Audi Care rep to contact the dealer, tell them I'm not happy and explain to them how to check if the DRC is working. He said will do.

I showed up yesterday. Asked the RS6 tech:

1. Did you check for leaks? Yes, none found.

2. Did you check the pressure in the system? No, since there are no leaks the system *should* have full pressure. Besides, we don't have the proper tool to check the pressure. I'm about to go postal. You drag my ass all the way down here AGAIN after you've had the car for 1 1/2 weeks sitting here doing nothing in the lot to tell me you don't even have the proper tool to follow the Audi procedures? What kind of morons are running this place? Well, sir we can only flush the system and fill it with the tools that we have. I ask, how can you check to see if the system is at the correct pressure? We can't is the answer I get.

3. Did you drive the car? Yes we heard the suspension squeak, etc. but we can't do anything about that and the car feels fine to me. I remind him this is not a subjective matter but a factual matter. If you can't properly test the system then your opinion means nothing to anyone including me.

So, they decide that they need to flush the system and refill it, have me come back and test drive to see if the car "feels" better. Wait for the recall and then come back and swap out the DRC parts with the upgraded/redesigned parts.

I call Audi, tell them about my experience and my rep is getting upset.

I walk back inside, go to the Sales Manager (I'm at Jim Ellis Audi by the way) and ask him to put together numbers on the black/black S6 they have in the show room. He says "give me your email I'll send you some lease numbers". He takes down my phone number as well. Mind you there is not one customer in the showroom or on the lot.

I drive the Q7 home. I wait 2 days, no emails no calls. I get pissed and call Nalley Audi and ask them to put together the same deal. 2 more days go by and no calls from them either. What the hell? They don't want to sell a car? So I go on the Internet and start shopping for a more reliable business car with NAV, Bluetooth, good MPG and power, etc. Decide I would consider a Nissan Maxima or Infiniti M45. In the mean time, Audi is telling me to come back and test drive the RS6. On my way there they call and say "oh no we can't have you drive the car right now we need to get a special tool to check the pressure since something appears to be wrong from our initial test drive". Really? Really? WTF have I been screaming the last 2 weeks and for over a year? "Audi is helping us out and sending us the proper tool, please wait and we will call you".

I make a U-turn right in front of a Nissan dealership. I walk in with the look of a crazed postal worker: I want to test drive a Maxima. Loaded with every available option that is offered. I want it to be gray and I want you to give me the car. I used to work F&I at a dealership so don't screw with me. 1 hour later I'm signing the paperwork on my new Maxima. I bought it yesterday and picked it up today (they did not have a fully loaded one available on the lot). While I am signing the lease on the Maxima my phone rings. It's the Sales Manager at Nalley. I heard you are interested purchasing an S6. Sorry, too late I bought a Maxima. I'm not going to wait 2-3 days for your incompetent sales person to call me back with the lease numbers. He's sort of getting mad at how I dare purchase a car without telling them first and that they have been "working on it". So, what is the lease payment then? "I don't know yet we are working on it". So I just hung up - CLICK. What's funny is at least Nalley called me back. I have yet to hear from Jim Ellis the dealership where my RS6 is right now.

So, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my RS6. I LOVE the car. I am hoping the DRC redesign will fix the DRC issues. I may keep it as a hobby car. I just don't have time to screw around with these issues when I'm trying to run an business and we are still really busy even with this economy (touch wood) so I'm working as much as possible since who knows what next year will be like?

I may just sell it. I don't need (2) 4 door sedans, which I learned from having (2) RS6s. If I'm going to have a hobby car I'd rather get a real sports car that I can take to the track and row the gears on my own.

If I sell decide to sell, it will be the one of the nicest examples available for sure. I've dumped tons of money into it with new PS2's K-40 built in Radar/laser jammer (front and back) window tint, clear bra, RSN-E Nav upgrade, LED tail lights...... makes me sick just thinking about selling it honestly. With the REVO ECU flash the car is flat out a blast to drive. At 50K miles I'm at the crossroads to sell or not to sell?

So there's the big long sad story.

DHall1
March 20th, 2009, 19:35
Copper,

I have been thinking about this for some time. Both you and Willie/GenXer/myself and others are in a position to really put the heat on Audi and Fidelity.

This whole situation of having blown DRCs now and waiting 6 months is criminal. I have been screaming about this very situation coming up and biting us in the ass.

I say this.

1. Demand the new DRC today or tell Fidelity to install KWs today and keep the cars safe to drive until August.

Why? Well, if you dont put on the KWs and say the car is safe to drive..... Then put it in writing. Make sure you call legal first. Hint, Hint. These cars are not safe to drive if the DRC is blown. Period. End of story.

I dont give a rats ass about the "new" DRC magic fix. I care about driving a safe car today. I have the warranty coverage for a failed covered component part. FIX IT. Is the Fidelity contract not worth the paper its written on? Remember, Fidelity=Audi.

Put the KWs on the car and make it driveable until you get your shit together and have a real DRC fix. Then put the DRC back on my car. Period.

I think its a fair solution for a known problem.

What do you think?

DHall1
March 20th, 2009, 20:02
I know that Maxima is a nice car. Its not the beast but its reliable and comfortable. We drove Toyota and Lexus for 20 years for some of the same reasons. I still have 1 Lexus left...our Supercharged LX470 mostly because its the tow vehicle behind our motorhome. But, that SUV even with me tinkering and adding the supercharger is running like a top at 10yrs old and 130k miles. It also has the KYB oil suspension system that has never leaked from day 1 and it drives like it did with 20k miles.

I dont know if Audi can sustain the projected growth given the lack of attention to owners that purchase 90k vehicles. I can tell you that no way will I even consider an R8. Forget it.

mmaturo
March 20th, 2009, 21:14
I know that Maxima is a nice car. Its not the beast but its reliable and comfortable. We drove Toyota and Lexus for 20 years for some of the same reasons. I still have 1 Lexus left...our Supercharged LX470 mostly because its the tow vehicle behind our motorhome. But, that SUV even with me tinkering and adding the supercharger is running like a top at 10yrs old and 130k miles. It also has the KYB oil suspension system that has never leaked from day 1 and it drives like it did with 20k miles.

I dont know if Audi can sustain the projected growth given the lack of attention to owners that purchase 90k vehicles. I can tell you that no way will I even consider an R8. Forget it.

Sadly i'm looking forward to my future Audi purchases (R8, RS5) post RS6 as there is no way in hell (understatement) the next car could be worse for downtime. I'm just glad the loaners and service advisers/techs in my case are good that they do actually find and fix the problems. I feel you...and i really do on the purchase part...i've had better luck with random dealers across the country who post on forums getting me info than my local dealers. Glad my dealer has the tools just not enough certified techs anymore so it still takes 3 weeks.

GEN XER
March 20th, 2009, 21:56
Honestly I have not even started boxing with the dealer yet. I already know the standard cooperate answers and I dont want to hear them, but I know I have to get in the ring on this. The only problem is we dont have enough voices. Even if all the RS6 owners in the US were screaming at the top of there lungs and staging drive in's to complain about the DRC system and complaining to Fidelity to put a 3K interim suspension on there cars, our less than 1437 voices would not be loud enough to move Audi to do it before Aug. Even if you bring forth a lawsuit they would argue that they have a fix and would stall untill Aug anyway and by then they would prove that they were doing something and your lawsuit would be moot. I hate this situation but they have a legal team that has thought this through to the letter and they know how long they can push off any legal challange and more importantly they have the money to do it. Audi is going to BS us from now until Aug when they have enough parts in the system and sit back in the big office's and keep collecting checks and go on with business as usuall. They are not worried about what a few RS6 owners can through at them. Well you say you will go to the Media, Ok once again Audi will say after years of R&D with KYB they finally came up with a suitable system to replace the failed DRC system on the 2003 RS6 and how they plan on implementing this system starting in Aug due to a lack of inventory in the system. Well what is your plan in the interim, "if there is a customer who's DRC is deemed unsafe for the road then we will repair that system with exsisting inventory, and that should be sufficient for the next few months." I mean they have all the bases covered here. The real question is who the hell deems the system unsafe?

DuckWingDuck
March 20th, 2009, 23:15
Sad to say but putting in that KW might have been the best decision I made with my car.

DHall1
March 21st, 2009, 01:25
This is sad but true. I mean the RS4 guys didnt even put up with the crap and were putting on coilovers the first year.

We are idiots

Sad to say but putting in that KW might have been the best decision I made with my car.

DHall1
March 21st, 2009, 01:28
Willie,

As Copper noted. He could tell you the exact moment in time when the system failed. He considered parking the car on the spot and calling the flatbed tow truck.

Trust me. A RS6 with a blown DRC is not safe to drive in any emergency situation.

Honestly I have not even started boxing with the dealer yet. I already know the standard cooperate answers and I dont want to hear them, but I know I have to get in the ring on this. The only problem is we dont have enough voices. Even if all the RS6 owners in the US were screaming at the top of there lungs and staging drive in's to complain about the DRC system and complaining to Fidelity to put a 3K interim suspension on there cars, our less than 1437 voices would not be loud enough to move Audi to do it before Aug. Even if you bring forth a lawsuit they would argue that they have a fix and would stall untill Aug anyway and by then they would prove that they were doing something and your lawsuit would be moot. I hate this situation but they have a legal team that has thought this through to the letter and they know how long they can push off any legal challange and more importantly they have the money to do it. Audi is going to BS us from now until Aug when they have enough parts in the system and sit back in the big office's and keep collecting checks and go on with business as usuall. They are not worried about what a few RS6 owners can through at them. Well you say you will go to the Media, Ok once again Audi will say after years of R&D with KYB they finally came up with a suitable system to replace the failed DRC system on the 2003 RS6 and how they plan on implementing this system starting in Aug due to a lack of inventory in the system. Well what is your plan in the interim, "if there is a customer who's DRC is deemed unsafe for the road then we will repair that system with exsisting inventory, and that should be sufficient for the next few months." I mean they have all the bases covered here. The real question is who the hell deems the system unsafe?

Copper
March 25th, 2009, 21:28
So I'm going to toss my RS6 up on eBay this weekend. I have the ad written, just need to get my car back from the dealer to take a bunch of current photos.

If I don't get the money I want for it then I will just keep it and move forward with the hobby car plan and upgrade the wheels, etc.

It will appease my wife a bit to at least make an attempt to sell it before getting back to (3) car mode. I'm also getting the "I went from a Lexus GX470 to a Toyota 4Runner" argument when I started the new business so she makes a good point there. Maybe I'll just get her the Range Rover Sport she wants but that will cost even more money! Haha! I'm getting sort of tired of dumping money into cars at this point. I did the math and I have spent $62K on this second RS6 with the cost of the car and the upgrades/mods/maint.

If you all know someone looking to purchase a mint RS6, mine will be available soon.

DHall1
March 25th, 2009, 21:36
I cant argue with that logic. Sucks really but the DRC is a big thorn in Audi's ass and will take down the most loyal of owner.

Idiots=Audi

Copper....my chops are busted until I get the damn swimming pool in our back yard that was promised last summer. So I hear ya.

No R8, no nothing for this boy until there is a pond of an oasis in that back yard.

:nono:

So I'm going to toss my RS6 up on eBay this weekend. I have the ad written, just need to get my car back from the dealer to take a bunch of current photos.

If I don't get the money I want for it then I will just keep it and move forward with the hobby car plan and upgrade the wheels, etc.

It will appease my wife a bit to at least make an attempt to sell it before getting back to (3) car mode. I'm also getting the "I'm went from a Lexus GX470 to a Toyota 4Runner" argument when I started the new business so she makes a good point there. Maybe I'll just get her the Range Rover Sport she wants but that will cost even more money! Haha! I'm getting sort of tired of dumping money into cars at this point. I did the math and I have spent $62K on this second RS6 with the cost of the car and the upgrades/mods/maint.

If you all know someone looking to purchase a mint RS6, mine will be available soon.

mmaturo
March 25th, 2009, 21:54

It will appease my wife a bit to at least make an attempt to sell it before getting back to (3) car mode. I'm also getting the "I went from a Lexus GX470 to a Toyota 4Runner" argument when I started the new business so she makes a good point there. Maybe I'll just get her the Range Rover Sport she wants but that will cost even more money! Haha! I'm getting sort of tired of dumping money into cars at this point. I did the math and I have spent $62K on this second RS6 with the cost of the car and the upgrades/mods/maint.

God help my liver if i ever figure out my real investment in the thing...$72K up front in purchase then $10K plus for mods...maintenance and sets of tires is the part I don't want to add up. Uggg. Hopefully someone will bite. Your car is one of the better ones.