PDA

View Full Version : Happy f@^&ing Friday to me

V8weight
March 20th, 2009, 16:47
I was on my way into work this morning, and my check engine light came on. I did a scan when I got to work and came up with this:
P0741 torque converter ckt performance or stuck off
Swell. I have a great warranty, but come on. I've owned this car since December, and it would be great to drive it for two consecutive weeks without going to the dealer. So, I might as well give it a quick wash and get ready to say goodbye for another three weeks.:vgrumpy:

DHall1
March 20th, 2009, 17:03
At this point, I would consider blowing up the entire trans.

Maybe others that have gone down this road can chime in. I seem to remember some that get the TC done then the trans goes shortly after.

3 weeks? If its just the TC....maybe you can clear the code and have the dealer order parts. Drive it normally till the TC comes in.

I was on my way into work this morning, and my check engine light came on. I did a scan when I got to work and came up with this:
P0741 torque converter ckt performance or stuck off
Swell. I have a great warranty, but come on. I've owned this car since December, and it would be great to drive it for two consecutive weeks without going to the dealer. So, I might as well give it a quick wash and get ready to say goodbye for another three weeks.:vgrumpy:

V8weight
March 20th, 2009, 17:54

Maybe others that have gone down this road can chime in. I seem to remember some that get the TC done then the trans goes shortly after.

3 weeks? If its just the TC....maybe you can clear the code and have the dealer order parts. Drive it normally till the TC comes in.
I honestly don't know how long the repair will take. I'm dropping it off on Monday, so i'll be driving it over the weekend. I don't generally drive it hard anyway. I am worried about the health of the tranny though. I can assume they won't order the part until the adjuster comes out to ok the repairs to cover their ass. On the bright side, I've been meaning to get the Revo done for the last three weeks, so at least this happened before I was chipped.

mmaturo
March 20th, 2009, 21:19

Its 3 weeks...10 days for the part from the mother land and the rest to drop the engine. I'm one of those that had the TC go then a few weeks later the tranny and that TC go. Do your best to blow the entire thing up. Mine has worked ok for a few years but TC seems to be going again but it did last 40K miles of abuse.

Benman
March 20th, 2009, 21:21
Do your best to blow the entire thing up.

??? Are you recommending him to slam it in Reverse at 80mph? :D

Ben:addict:

mmaturo
March 20th, 2009, 21:23

that made me laugh. yes. drive it like you stole it till you turn it in. My warranty ends in june...i'm tempted to see what would happen at 80...

LIRS6
March 20th, 2009, 21:25
My TC went kaput at 49k, was replaced and have had no issues since, incl tranny (now at 66k).

Benman
March 20th, 2009, 21:40
that made me laugh. yes. drive it like you stole it till you turn it in. My warranty ends in june...i'm tempted to see what would happen at 80...

Well, unless you actually want to see the tranny shoot up through the floor board, I wouldn't recommend it. Otherwise, make sure you got on your crash suit. ;) :D

V8weight
March 20th, 2009, 21:51
I don't think I have it in me to trash the tranny. I just cannot do that to my car. I've long suspected a transmission issue with this car, but in denial, I just told myself that it was in my head. The car has never really seemed that fast since I bought it, almost like it wasn't making boost. I replaced the plugs, air filters, fuel filter, and diverter valves with no results. The tranny has always seemed kind of sluggish. Last week I was merging onto the freeway and the car in front of me slammed on the brakes. I stopped, but to avoid getting rear ended, I swung into the fast lane and gave it the beans. The car spooled up and went nowhere. It actually hit the rev limiter in first gear, but really didn't go anywhere. Scary.

DuckWingDuck
March 20th, 2009, 23:17
talk to your technician, they can be very helpful in getting the issue resolved without you potentially catastrophically breaking your car. And I'm with Dave, just bite the bullet and get a new transmission.

Spidercat
March 21st, 2009, 00:06
My TC went on me (on a Friday morning on my way to work, too, and I had the same thought as your thread title!). I have Revo ECU/MTM TCU. My aftermarket warranty covered most of it (they only pay a certain $ amount for parts and labor, which are on the high end out here), so no worries. I'd agree with DWD. Talk to your service advisor and mechanic. Mine checked out the trans when it was dropped (what he could see of it, anyway, and said it looked pristine). I guess I'm not spanking her hard enough! I didn't have the heart to do full-boost burnouts to make sure the trans was dead (tires are $$$), plus, I wasn't sure I would be able to deliver the coup-de-grace before I turned it in on Monday. I didn't want a worn-out (but passable) transmission. I never thought to try reverse at 80, though. I bet that'd do it!
Anyway, it's be a couple months and no problems yet. Knock, knock, knock.
Also, if you want to get de-catted, now's a good time!

DHall1
March 21st, 2009, 01:07
Ok,

I thought there were more instances that the trans failed shortly after the TC.

I would never tell anyone to put it in reverse at 80.

I would only test the holding power of the trans before submission for the TC. Nothing more than running it hard to ensure there is no slipping of clutches.

mmaturo
March 21st, 2009, 04:46
I don't think I have it in me to trash the tranny. I just cannot do that to my car. I've long suspected a transmission issue with this car, but in denial, I just told myself that it was in my head. The car has never really seemed that fast since I bought it, almost like it wasn't making boost. I replaced the plugs, air filters, fuel filter, and diverter valves with no results. The tranny has always seemed kind of sluggish. Last week I was merging onto the freeway and the car in front of me slammed on the brakes. I stopped, but to avoid getting rear ended, I swung into the fast lane and gave it the beans. The car spooled up and went nowhere. It actually hit the rev limiter in first gear, but really didn't go anywhere. Scary.

Ahhhh sluggish... yep your torque converter has been going for awhile. In my case the torque converter kept telling the engine it was getting too much power and it shut down the turbos...and it would gain power to a point then plateau with the car not doing what i was telling it to do (and not shift so power was on but nothing was getting transferred to the road) it took several dealers to figure out that it was not the turbos, the DVs the plumbing of anything but was just the TC. I had a maxima outrun me one day as i was really just driving an A6 4.2. Once its replaced you will have your real RS6. It took me 4 months to get mine sorted out over 3 years ago between the tC and the trans but after they were replaced my car has been the beast it is supposed to be.

40K on the fix but I am now getting weird and bad downshifts as i come to a stop (in S mode it is neck jerking) and a slight hesitation or planning out of power when i lay into it (but not near as severe as the early days) so i think i am getting slipping under power which means o'crappo.

V8weight
March 21st, 2009, 05:06
Ahhhh sluggish... yep your torque converter has been going for awhile. In my case the torque converter kept telling the engine it was getting too much power and it shut down the turbos...and it would gain power to a point then plateau with the car not doing what i was telling it to do (and not shift so power was on but nothing was getting transferred to the road) it took several dealers to figure out that it was not the turbos, the DVs the plumbing of anything but was just the TC. I had a maxima outrun me one day as i was really just driving an A6 4.2. Once its replaced you will have your real RS6. It took me 4 months to get mine sorted out over 3 years ago between the tC and the trans but after they were replaced my car has been the beast it is supposed to be.

40K on the fix but I am now getting weird and bad downshifts as i come to a stop (in S mode it is neck jerking) and a slight hesitation or planning out of power when i lay into it (but not near as severe as the early days) so i think i am getting slipping under power which means o'crappo.
Thank you! Reading your post I just rejoiced outloud. That's the way my car has been acting since the day I bought it. My previous car was a B6 S4 4.2l and I couldn't believe the RS6 wasn't any faster. This car hasn't been making boost since I bought it! Now I just have to convince the technician to let me take the downpipes while the engine/trans is out to punch the precats out. I have my fingers crossed that this will be a whole different car the next time I drive it.

DHall1
March 21st, 2009, 05:29
I just looked at this again.

Trans could be slipping. Please give this information to the dealer and advise that you have been feeling this now and again.

As for the boost. You should really have the boost level checked with a scanner to determine if.....

1. The ECU directed boost is at the proper level.
a. If called for boost is proper then nothing wrong with the ECU and the trans is not shutting down boost.
2. If #1 above is good. Then, see if the actual boost is matching what the ECU is calling for.
a. If actual boost is not getting up to called for boost. Then you must diagnose the problem before pulling the engine to fix the trans.

The answers to the two questions will determine if the trans has anything to do with the lack of boost. Or, you may have wastegate or N75 valve issue.

I say its very, very important to diagnose the boost problem before the engine is pulled because you could be pulling the engine again to fix the boost problem. Make sense?

My .02c

Dave

Last week I was merging onto the freeway and the car in front of me slammed on the brakes. I stopped, but to avoid getting rear ended, I swung into the fast lane and gave it the beans. The car spooled up and went nowhere. It actually hit the rev limiter in first gear, but really didn't go anywhere. Scary.[/quote]

Aronis
March 21st, 2009, 19:54
Change all four oxygen sensors while the engine is pulled and consider waterpump. You'll be covered four 12 month 12 k miles.
My two cents worth.

jonas21
March 22nd, 2009, 20:27

afaik that wont work. the tcu will not allow that change at that speed and rather put it into neutral.

peiserg
March 22nd, 2009, 23:33
i would definitely log boost requested vs. actual. I had my TC replaced, and it made NO DIFFERENCE in the performance... and i had the same symptoms. I finally datalogged, and saw the car was delivering way more boost than requested, causing the engine to go into limp. just a thought.

Benman
March 23rd, 2009, 19:39
afaik that wont work. the tcu will not allow that change at that speed and rather put it into neutral.
Really? I never tried it on a "modern" car so I guess you would know more. But have you "verified" this on an RS 6? I ask because I would never be brave enough to simply take that statement as gospel. ;)

xpl0sive
March 23rd, 2009, 20:53
i've seen in done on rental cars, slammed into park and reverse while going 60... the new trannys have some kind of a feature built into them that they dont engage the gear and the tranny just clicks through the gear till the car stops... so throwing itnto reverse wouldnt do anything...

jonas21
March 23rd, 2009, 21:49
Really? I never tried it on a "modern" car so I guess you would know more. But have you "verified" this on an RS 6? I ask because I would never be brave enough to simply take that statement as gospel. ;)

it once happend to me back when i had the C5 RS6...i was about to park (rolling around 30-20km/h) and had my hand on the gear knob...when my cell rang. i dont know how but i pushed it into reverse and nothing happend...was quite shocked tho :bigeyes:

V8weight
March 23rd, 2009, 23:27
So, I dropped my car off this morning, check engine light still on, and collected my Pontiac Grand Prix:boring: They called this afternoon to inform me that they have replaced an evap. canister purge valve under warranty but could not replicate the problem with the torque converter?????? They said the p0741 code was not in the print off. What the hell? I saw it with my own eyes when I scanned it, I spent all weekend driving around without my torque conveter in lockup. I'm confused, why would they turn away a potential 35 hr. job? Why wouldn't they have the technician drive the car for a few days? My love affair with this car is over.

DHall1
March 24th, 2009, 05:45
Burn down the house! or transmission for that matter.

Pick up the car and drive it until it happens again. When it happens...drive straight to any Audi or VW dealer and make them check it on the spot and print off the code.

Now, what about your boost problem. Can you data log the boost channel? Vag/Com...do you have one?

So, I dropped my car off this morning, check engine light still on, and collected my Pontiac Grand Prix:boring: They called this afternoon to inform me that they have replaced an evap. canister purge valve under warranty but could not replicate the problem with the torque converter?????? They said the p0741 code was not in the print off. What the hell? I saw it with my own eyes when I scanned it, I spent all weekend driving around without my torque conveter in lockup. I'm confused, why would they turn away a potential 35 hr. job? Why wouldn't they have the technician drive the car for a few days? My love affair with this car is over.

V8weight
March 24th, 2009, 13:29
Burn down the house! or transmission for that matter.

Pick up the car and drive it until it happens again. When it happens...drive straight to any Audi or VW dealer and make them check it on the spot and print off the code.

Now, what about your boost problem. Can you data log the boost channel? Vag/Com...do you have one?
I don't have one yet, but its in the mail. I have Matco's version of the Otc genesis, which is a real nice tool, but doesn't allow data logging. I'm second guessing my boost concern, as I'm almost positive my performance issues are due to transmission/torque converter slippage. The thing still gets up and goes, it just doesn't always seem to be making it to the ground.

chairman2300
March 24th, 2009, 14:52
Pat
Where did you take it?

V8weight
March 24th, 2009, 22:14
Pat
Where did you take it?
I had it at Maplewood Audi, but I picked it up last night and brought it up to Carousel Audi this morning. I'm dealing with Tom Hanley, and by 2:00 he had called to inform me that the technician took it for a drive, did some data logging, and confirmed torque converter slippage and was also able to trigger another CEL. He also logged the requested/delivered boost levels and was able to confirm that the tc was reducing boost levels. My warranty co. ok'd the repair and the tc has been ordered. Now thats service. I really appreciate that they went the extra mile to address my concerns, something that I've not experienced at the other dealership. :bow:

DHall1
March 24th, 2009, 22:26
That is very impressive indeed. Job well done and I would venture to say they just earned your future business.

Power of the pen is wonderful as now we can all read and see this.

I had it at Maplewood Audi, but I picked it up last night and brought it up to Carousel Audi this morning. I'm dealing with Tom Hanley, and by 2:00 he had called to inform me that the technician took it for a drive, did some data logging, and confirmed torque converter slippage and was also able to trigger another CEL. He also logged the requested/delivered boost levels and was able to confirm that the tc was reducing boost levels. My warranty co. ok'd the repair and the tc has been ordered. Now thats service. I really appreciate that they went the extra mile to address my concerns, something that I've not experienced at the other dealership. :bow:

mmaturo
March 25th, 2009, 04:09

Cool, that's how i felt when i had your exact issue and my preferred service group got it right finally...glad to hear it. Boy are you going to be happy as hell when you get it back as honestly it will indeed be the first time you've driven your true RS6!

jtessman
March 25th, 2009, 12:01
The car will also perform poorly if the N75 servo is leaking. This guy controls both turbo waste gates so if he isn't in top shape the waste gates dump boost prematurely and ruin your day! Just had mine replaced under warranty and it made a definate improvements.

chairman2300
March 25th, 2009, 14:32

I feel the same way. I wont even think about bringing my car to another dealership. They have always done nothing but good by me.

They have multiple people very familiar with our car. And also understand and respect the issues that arise when owning this vehicle. On top of that, they hate the DRC.

Good move

V8weight
April 1st, 2009, 00:27
I picked the car up this afternoon. That's exactly 7 days from start to finish for a torque converter replacement. That's impressive. The tech didn't actually remove the engine/transmission. He was able to suspend the assembly from the top just far enough to split the tranny loose and remove the converter. Apparently a fluid flush and filter are not included in the operation, so I insisted that they do it, and I paid out of pocket for it. Guess how much that costs? $645.00. Ouch. I thought about just doing it myself when I got home, but there is just no way I was going to put even one mile on that old atf. Think about it, a slipping converter creates excess heat, thus scorching the fluid. There is also the possibility of metal shavings being circulated throughout the trans. I'll just call my warranty co. and have it out with them and see if I could be reimbursed. Anyhow, its now a whole different car. Dare I say its making more boost? This thing hasn't pulled like this since the day I bought it. :wo:

DHall1
April 1st, 2009, 01:38
Hey as long as nothing was broken in taking that route to not pull the whole thing and the ext warranty was paying the bill. I say....:cheers: poor me a cold one.

So that I understand.

Tech came from the top and used a engine hoist. Split the eng/trans by lifting from the engine to gain room to repl TC.

And now she is running like a champ. Finally you have a beast.

Enjoy!

I picked the car up this afternoon. That's exactly 7 days from start to finish for a torque converter replacement. That's impressive. The tech didn't actually remove the engine/transmission. He was able to suspend the assembly from the top just far enough to split the tranny loose and remove the converter. Apparently a fluid flush and filter are not included in the operation, so I insisted that they do it, and I paid out of pocket for it. Guess how much that costs? $645.00. Ouch. I thought about just doing it myself when I got home, but there is just no way I was going to put even one mile on that old atf. Think about it, a slipping converter creates excess heat, thus scorching the fluid. There is also the possibility of metal shavings being circulated throughout the trans. I'll just call my warranty co. and have it out with them and see if I could be reimbursed. Anyhow, its now a whole different car. Dare I say its making more boost? This thing hasn't pulled like this since the day I bought it. :wo: