PDA

View Full Version : O/T Have any of you been subjected to Internet Fraud?

Bigglezworth
March 20th, 2009, 02:43
Making no assumptions for how knowledgable any of the fellow board members here are, I'm curious on how many people have been on the receiving end of Internet Fraud. I was boned on this forum a few months ago and it made for my second time getting shafted in 10 years of Internet dealings.

Tim

DHall1
March 20th, 2009, 05:10
Well it comes down to risk and exposure.

Do you have details?

If your buying items at 50c on the dollar....there is some risk. So manage the risk vs rewards and make a decision.

Do I worry about 50 dollars? Nope, I have ordered several little RS6 items from Europe with the idea that if the items get lost or failed to ship....well, then no Starbucks for a month. :-) Not that I go to Starbucks any longer but you get the idea. SB is a greedy company looking to cash in at any cost....they will go down big time. That ship is sinking.

Anyways, 500 dollars and I will not risk exposure. Cash in one hand...product in the other.

Making no assumptions for how knowledgable any of the fellow board members here are, I'm curious on how many people have been on the receiving end of Internet Fraud. I was boned on this forum a few months ago and it made for my second time getting shafted in 10 years of Internet dealings.

Tim

Erik
March 20th, 2009, 09:25
It has never happened to me - yet!

I'm sorry to hear that it happened here.

We have had a few occassions where I have banned the member (I think it's the same person).

If you see, hear, suspect please let me know and I will stop it from happening on RS6.com.

allwheelsdriven
March 20th, 2009, 15:17
Not a RS6.com story, but I bought a stolen laptop on ebay a few years ago....found the real owner using the email left on it and returned it to the rightful owner. This was before paypal/ebay fraud protections and so I was out $1000. I gave the sellers contact info to police and they raided his apt and found 27 stolen laptops there.

Then a few months later a friend gave me her laptop worth well more than that since she considered it unfixable and had bought a new one. I reinstalled XP and its worked flawlessly ever since.

Bigglezworth
March 20th, 2009, 16:23
Not a RS6.com story, but I bought a stolen laptop on ebay a few years ago....found the real owner using the email left on it and returned it to the rightful owner. This was before paypal/ebay fraud protections and so I was out $1000. I gave the sellers contact info to police and they raided his apt and found 27 stolen laptops there.

Then a few months later a friend gave me her laptop worth well more than that since she considered it unfixable and had bought a new one. I reinstalled XP and its worked flawlessly ever since.GOOD karma for a change. :)

DHall1
March 20th, 2009, 17:06
Mike,

Nice to read that and your comfort zone may be 1000 dollars. I guess mine is higher than 50 as well. If someone wants to screw over people for 2 or 3 hundred its just not worth it for me to loose sleep over it.

Then a few months later a friend gave me her laptop worth well more than that since she considered it unfixable and had bought a new one. I reinstalled XP and its worked flawlessly ever since.

GEN XER
March 20th, 2009, 17:21
In short, yes. It happened on ebay. I bought some K&N filters for my bikes and they never showed up. Luckily I used Paypal and after they investigated the company and got no response from them they refunded me my money. When I purchase online and the dollar amount is such that I can't accept the lose, then I insist on using Paypal. If they won't use Paypal then I dont want the item.

GEN XER
March 20th, 2009, 17:25
Good Karma!

Bigglezworth
March 20th, 2009, 17:59
My scenario was for more than 1G.... <ack>

allwheelsdriven
March 20th, 2009, 18:01
Mike,

Nice to read that and your comfort zone may be 1000 dollars. I guess mine is higher than 50 as well. If someone wants to screw over people for 2 or 3 hundred its just not worth it for me to loose sleep over it.

Well believe me I was really pissed at the time especially since Bank of America and ebay told me to screw off. But in my world there was no choice but to do the right thing.

At this point with an ebay feedback score of 436, 100% positive and mostly purchases, I have a finely tuned BS sensor.

I know some other car forums have a feedback functionality which can give you some sense of how a deal is going to go. I've also seen it on one of the camera forums I frequent where they dont allow feedback and one guy in the UK cleaned out several buyers of lenses (mostly in the US) to the tune of 5 figures and then closed his paypal acct and went to the pub. So I think the feedback model works well.

DHall1
March 20th, 2009, 18:06
Tim,

Can you give your side of things?

My scenario was for more than 1G.... <ACK>

DHall1
March 20th, 2009, 18:18
Agreed, I have learned a few things about ebay/paypal over the years as well.

1. Dont think you have a guaranty of goods thru Paypal. Its not there. If your buying a product with any doubt of subjective condition then your at risk. Example, unless your buying a brand new product in a sealed container....you are at risk. Paypal will only cover the fact that "any" product made it to your front door. Thats it. If there is a gross misrepresentation of the product....your screwed.

And I also agree that the banks, ebay, paypal could care less that you purchased stolen goods.

Good to hear you were pissed at the whole situation. I would have been as well then after time....got over it and moved on.

Well believe me I was really pissed at the time especially since Bank of America and ebay told me to screw off. But in my world there was no choice but to do the right thing.

At this point with an ebay feedback score of 436, 100% positive and mostly purchases, I have a finely tuned BS sensor.

I know some other car forums have a feedback functionality which can give you some sense of how a deal is going to go. I've also seen it on one of the camera forums I frequent where they dont allow feedback and one guy in the UK cleaned out several buyers of lenses (mostly in the US) to the tune of 5 figures and then closed his paypal acct and went to the pub. So I think the feedback model works well.

Benman
March 20th, 2009, 21:24
GOOD karma for a change. :)

+1!:cheers:

I've had some close calls, but backed out. To date I am internet screw free... that didn't come out right.

Ben:addict:

DuckWingDuck
March 20th, 2009, 23:20
ultimately, as with the offline world, if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably isn't true. Saving money on the internet is definitely a reality but saving outrageous money is, most of the time, just a way to screwing yourself.

Bigglezworth
March 21st, 2009, 03:07
My situation wasn't about "a good deal". I subscribe to and wrote the book on "if a deal is too good to be true, then it's too good".... It was about simply completing a transaction for some "used parts" via PM on the forum and MANY supplemental emails. At the time the user was a valid user with many posts. All of the emails and even phone conversations were solid. I went through with the deal as I felt confident I wasn't sending funds to just anywhere after spending lots of time with emails and on the phone talking. Discussions on the phone were informed and not that kind of BS conversation where you get the vibe someone doesn't know WTF they are talking about - or like I said - spouting off a great deal that was simply tooo good to be true. It was a reasonable price - not cheap by any stretch - and I felt comfortable.

This was in late November and with the Xmas season rush didn't think too much about not getting the parcel prior to Xmas. I've had lots of transactions where it too more than the prescribed 2-3 weeks of regular parcel post to receive things as they pile up in Canada Customs prior to clearing with the abundent amount of other parcels clearing. Anyway once Xmas passed and mid Jan rolled around I got concerned. Suspected I was being boned and frantically made calls to try and contact defunct seller. Many many calls to no avail, and then out of the blue a return call. Sadly I sucummed to the scam by feeling reasured that there was simply a lost parcel and that I would then get my money returned. I was asked then via email to provide bank ID so that the money could be return wired since I wired it via bank transfer in the first place. I don't pass this information out so I opted to instead to email back and request money returned via Money Order via FedEx even with me paying for the return courier costs. Nothing.

I've since resided to the fact that I got the shaft. I'm going to follow-up with local authorities and any other legal enforcement effort I can. I don't take matters like this sitting down and can assure all of you that I'm prepared to die on this hill going the distance to right my situation.

Anyway, that's what I know. I'm a member on NSX Prime and it has a great feedback forum that I find useful when getting involved in second hand parts selling efforts. I think a forum like RS6.com would benefit from having a used parts/cars dedicated page and also a feedback rating. At the minimum I feel it would be of benefit to provide a sticky thread at the top of the page that provides warnings to everyone of bad Internet dealings with anyone involved with the RS6 community (whether it's from this forum, other forums, Dealers, eBay sellers, etc). I know I wouldn't have proceeded with my transaction had I known ahead of time what I have been informed since by another fellow member here on RS6.com. Sadly I'm a day late and more than a few dollars short.....

Tim

DHall1
March 21st, 2009, 05:42
Was it the guy with those RS6 brakes that you were talking to? He had calipers/rotors/pads....something like that.

My situation wasn't about "a good deal". I subscribe to and wrote the book on "if a deal is too good to be true, then it's too good".... It was about simply completing a transaction for some "used parts" via PM on the forum and MANY supplemental emails. At the time the user was a valid user with many posts. All of the emails and even phone conversations were solid. I went through with the deal as I felt confident I wasn't sending funds to just anywhere after spending lots of time with emails and on the phone talking. Discussions on the phone were informed and not that kind of BS conversation where you get the vibe someone doesn't know WTF they are talking about - or like I said - spouting off a great deal that was simply tooo good to be true. It was a reasonable price - not cheap by any stretch - and I felt comfortable.

This was in late November and with the Xmas season rush didn't think too much about not getting the parcel prior to Xmas. I've had lots of transactions where it too more than the prescribed 2-3 weeks of regular parcel post to receive things as they pile up in Canada Customs prior to clearing with the abundent amount of other parcels clearing. Anyway once Xmas passed and mid Jan rolled around I got concerned. Suspected I was being boned and frantically made calls to try and contact defunct seller. Many many calls to no avail, and then out of the blue a return call. Sadly I sucummed to the scam by feeling reasured that there was simply a lost parcel and that I would then get my money returned. I was asked then via email to provide bank ID so that the money could be return wired since I wired it via bank transfer in the first place. I don't pass this information out so I opted to instead to email back and request money returned via Money Order via FedEx even with me paying for the return courier costs. Nothing.

I've since resided to the fact that I got the shaft. I'm going to follow-up with local authorities and any other legal enforcement effort I can. I don't take matters like this sitting down and can assure all of you that I'm prepared to die on this hill going the distance to right my situation.

Anyway, that's what I know. I'm a member on NSX Prime and it has a great feedback forum that I find useful when getting involved in second hand parts selling efforts. I think a forum like RS6.com would benefit from having a used parts/cars dedicated page and also a feedback rating. At the minimum I feel it would be of benefit to provide a sticky thread at the top of the page that provides warnings to everyone of bad Internet dealings with anyone involved with the RS6 community (whether it's from this forum, other forums, Dealers, eBay sellers, etc). I know I wouldn't have proceeded with my transaction had I known ahead of time what I have been informed since by another fellow member here on RS6.com. Sadly I'm a day late and more than a few dollars short.....

Tim

Bigglezworth
March 21st, 2009, 05:47
Was it the guy with those RS6 brakes that you were talking to? He had calipers/rotors/pads....something like that.Not Aaron no. I got those parts (fronts only though as the rears were never located) and paid 35% more than originally advertised for front and rear... I needed something for one of my many projects and they fit the bill. Besides I've paid lots more for used 4 piston Brembo's than I did for the huge RS6 units. They were pristine just like Aaron said. I actually pull them out of the box every couple of weeks to gawk at in amazement. Great conversation piece at any party with a few friends over. Just imagine how many times I've heard, "What the @#$@% are those off?: :harass:

DHall1
March 21st, 2009, 05:54
That is funny that you pull them out and have the laughs.

I was cleaning the wheels and wheelwells of my wifes E55 a short while back and noticed the Brembo front calipers are very similar if not the same on the AMG. 8 pads in each front caliper. Funny, the E55 pads dont grind the rotors to bits on the Benz. Nor to the cross drilled rotors cost 400ea. They are like 150ea.

Oh well, when my car needs rotors....I will hear from all friends and family. :harass:You spent how much on brake rotors!

LOL, then I will be dead meat. Haha

Not Aaron no. I got those parts (fronts only though as the rears were never located) and paid 35% more than originally advertised for front and rear... I needed something for one of my many projects and they fit the bill. Besides I've paid lots more for used 4 piston Brembo's than I did for the huge RS6 units. They were pristine just like Aaron said. I actually pull them out of the box every couple of weeks to gawk at in amazement. Great conversation piece at any party with a few friends over. Just imagine how many times I've heard, "What the @#$@% are those off?: :harass:

snoopra
March 21st, 2009, 15:06
When in doubt, use AMEX. They're always for the cardholder. I too had an issue here with a "banned" user from Australia. I used paypal, but wanted to be "safe" so I used my AMEX for the paypal transaction. After being BS'ed about non-delivery for a couple weeks, I filed a paypal claim. Paypal investigation was taking longer than I felt necessary, so one call to AMEX, refunded within 12hrs.

DuckWingDuck
March 21st, 2009, 15:31
+1

ya, amex is good stuff.