PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Question

Ben74
March 18th, 2009, 02:18
My "new to me" ('03 with 43k miles) RS6 was leaking transmission fluid the past week. I'm pretty sure the technician replaced the differential seal. He mentioned that the transmission bearings seemed to have a little play in them? Does that sound normal for an RS6? He doesn't think it will cause any long-term problems. He said it's possible that it could cause the seal to break/leak again. Does anyone have any information on this they could share with me? I know almost nothing about how cars work, but I'm slowly learning. Thanks!

Ben

hahnmgh63
March 18th, 2009, 04:18
confirm that the leak was gear oil and not transmission fluid as they front & rear differnential are seperated from the transmission oil. If it is backlash slop (forward/reverse), it will not cause a leak but if it is side lash play back and forth, then yes, it can accelerate wear of a seal very fast.

Ben74
March 18th, 2009, 15:36
Thanks for the information! I spoke with the technician again and he said that it was gear oil that was leaking. He said there was a little up/down play and also a little side to side play, but thinks it should be ok.

Ben

hahnmgh63
March 18th, 2009, 16:52
It is not that big of deal to replace the seal so you might as well just replace it and see if it lasts. If it leaks again anytime soon then you'll have to pull the transmission for a little more work, and it will be a good excuse for some tranny upgrades.