PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 928 Reborn.

The Pretender
March 16th, 2009, 17:09
http://www.cartype.com/pics/4112/full/porsche_928_lars.jpg
Rendering by "Larson"

This 3-door "Porsche GT Coupe" based on the new front-engined rear-drive Panamera platform can be seen as a 928 Reborn.
Engine's would likely be of the Panamera, which means V6 and V8 unit's.
With a power range from 300hp for the base GT Coupe and a power output of 500hp for the range-topping Turbo S.
The car will be on the market late next year as a 2011 model.

Jarod.

Ruergard
March 16th, 2009, 17:59
This is interesting!

Always been a fan of the old 928, a very special but cool car. A new one can't go wrong.

tvrfan
March 16th, 2009, 19:17
so a competitor to the 599 GTB, Aston martin DB9......?

AndyBG
March 17th, 2009, 00:42
I don't see this one coming anytime soon... But, I can't claim that for sure.

tailpipe
March 17th, 2009, 09:54
The cost of doing such a model would be more than compensated by the amortization effect on the Panamera platform. You'd have 2+2 cabin, plenty of boot space. Basically, it would be a more practical 911.

This is how Porsche's model line-up could evolve:

New entry level rear mid-engine convertible based on VW BlueSport concept (913 replacement)
New 2+2 3-door hatchback on Golf platform (924 replacement)
Boxter
Cayman
New 2-door 2+2 coupe (928 replacement as above)
Panamera
New Cayenne
New 911

Somehow having a Cayman, 928 replacement and 911 seems a little like overkill, but maybe not. it seems like the 911 is evergreen. People will them for as long as Porsche makes 'em.

If all this lot got made, it would be an impressive line-up. That would certainly boost sales and profits.

AndyBG
March 17th, 2009, 11:25
Before all this small Q5 SUV based, called Roxster is most likely to happend...

tailpipe
March 17th, 2009, 12:31
Before all this small Q5 SUV based, called Roxster is most likely to happend...

:hihi:

Joking apart, it isn't impossible.

one important thing you have to factor in to this discussion is that somewhere behind the scenes is Dr Ferdinand Piech pulling the strings. Remember it was he who greenlighted the TT and R8 precisely to goad Porsche into making more models and more exciting models.

At the moment there are 25 mainstream global car brands producing about 300 different model varieties. This is unsustainable long-term.

Porsche will only survive it it expands its model range. What is interesting about the debates we have is they explore the extent to which Porsche can produce new cars before it risks diluting its brand. People said that Porsche shouldn't have produced an SUV, but the Cayenne has been wildly successful from day one. Cayenne version 2 should be even better. Similarly, people are saying that the Panamera isn't a proper Porsche either; but there is no doubt in my mind that this too will be a runaway success too. Whatever you say about Porsche, they know how to build high quality, high performing cars.

So, whether my list of potential models reflects actual plans or not, expect a more diverse model range to come.

(I understand the Boxter, I understand the Cayenne, I understand the Panamera, but I still don't get the 911. )