PDA

View Full Version : Winter/all season wheels and tires

2manycars
August 10th, 2003, 01:38
Though it is August hot and humid(and rainy), I have been researching tires for the winter months. I checked tire rack and they only seem to have summer tires for the car. Do you think it is going to be very difficult/impossible to find a suitable set of tires and wheels for the cold weather months?

andyp
August 10th, 2003, 04:55
How about Pirelli Winter 240 SnowSport ... they come in 255/40-18. The three reviews that Tire Rack show sound promising.

See The Tire Rack (Pirelli Winter 240 SnowSport) (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?startIndex=0&width=255%2F&ratio=40&diameter=18&performance=W&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&submitButtonName=Go)

gregoryindiana
August 10th, 2003, 15:18
I have used Pirelli Winter 210 snow tires on my Ur S4 since I bought it in 94. For use in winter only, I am on my second set of these.

Assuming the tread pattern is the same, with updated compounding of the rubber, I say you will be satisfied with these tires.

No snow tire can overcome the laws of physics, and even the Pirellis lose grip first in lateral directions (turning on snow or icy slush).

I like them for their high speed rating compared to the Blizzaks. I drive in Indiana, where a lot of the winter is dry; bad for snow tires, or wet, and the Pirellis clear a lot of water easily.

What wheels are you going to use? I assume you will be mounting your snows on a second set.

2manycars
August 10th, 2003, 16:26
I hope I can find some inexpensive yet not bad looking wheels. I would like to keep the current ones looking as perfect as possible.

rsjoe
August 10th, 2003, 17:48
I will be putting conti high performance all season tires on for the winter. All season tires have worked well for me on snow and ice as long as the snow is less than about 5 inches. With awd they should be even more effective. I live in northern new england and probably see more snow and ice than you have in N.J.

Bauer
August 10th, 2003, 18:41
Anyone know if I can use my second set of tires and rims from my S8 for my RS6? I have a winter tire set up for going to the mountians and I really do not want to buy another second set. Maybe I will just not take the RS6 to the mountains....which actually might not be a bad thing.

Bauer
01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 ordered

2manycars
August 10th, 2003, 23:46
How do you think all season high performance tires would do on the car year round? I don't race the car, and use it as my daily driver. On the other hand if I lose a lot of the performance benefits of the low profile (harder riding) rubber, Id rather get a new set of wheels and tires. Anyone try this route? My wife has an 04A4 cab. Quattro. The car is no performance machine, but does have a set of 17 inch all season high performance tires on it.

rsjoe
August 11th, 2003, 00:41
I've used conti regular all season on an MB E500 and BMW 745 and they worked remarkably well on snow and ice. The high performance conti all seasons are rated very highly on the Tire Rack site and I too hope I can use them year round.