PDA

View Full Version : Dealership employee takes joy ride

LBRS6
March 14th, 2009, 23:15
I took my car in for routine service and when I picked it up it had been driven 13 miles. When I asked the dealer who had driven it he said only the mechanic for a total of 3 or 4 miles.

In addition, the steering wheel is not straight when the car is going straight. When I asked the dealer about this he said the mechanic did nothing that would cause this.

I have these visions of employees out drag racing their friends in my RS6.

Has anyone had this happen and if so what do you recommend I do?

hahnmgh63
March 14th, 2009, 23:17
I wouldn't let this go unpunished.

DHall1
March 14th, 2009, 23:43
Who, where, when and which RS6 do you own?

I took my car in for routine service and when I picked it up it had been driven 13 miles. When I asked the dealer who had driven it he said only the mechanic for a total of 3 or 4 miles.

In addition, the steering wheel is not straight when the car is going straight. When I asked the dealer about this he said the mechanic did nothing that would cause this.

DuckWingDuck
March 14th, 2009, 23:48
hmm, that's pretty bad. My tech only does crazy shit in my car when I'm there. But seriously though, if you suspect that there's something foul going on, def. talk to the service department manager

Aronis
March 15th, 2009, 00:18
Years ago I caught a dealer using my car as the "go get Lunch mobile."

If they hit a curb an threw the alignment out there should be evidence in the wheel rim?

I always take note of the milage and tell them. They also log the milage, as it is on my statement ever time I go in for service.

Mike

SAF
March 15th, 2009, 01:06
Agree you should check in and out miles on the invoice. Meet with the manager and inform him they will be aligning the steering wheel.

LBRS6
March 15th, 2009, 02:59
I have a 2003 RS6 (stock). I have it serviced at the Audi Exchange in Highland Park, Illinois. I have already let them know that they will be aligning my front end but this really aggravated me. I was also thinking that if they did any other damage, I would be back soon paying to have that fixed. I don't expect this at a high end dealership.

LBRS6
March 15th, 2009, 03:05
I'll do my best to extract some pain.

I noticed your white RS6 in the picture.
I didn't know they offered it in white.
My brother's dream car is a white RS6 and I told him to forget about it as they didn't make it.
Did you paint it?

LBRS6
March 15th, 2009, 03:08
Thanks. Next stop service manager and next time I am going to notify them before I drive off.

LBRS6
March 15th, 2009, 03:13
I let them know that they would be doing the alignment. They said they would but I'm thinking about what else these idiots might have done that I will paying for.
I guess I need to check the mileage before I pull out of the service area.
Thanks.

hahnmgh63
March 15th, 2009, 03:28
It was a factory special order. The wonderful thing Audi does (NOT), is custom colors don't have a paint code listed on the options sticker so I don't know what color of white it is. I want to get much front end touched up and then have the 3M chip protect done but I may have to just go to a high end paint shop and have it color matched. I do like the color though.

DHall1
March 15th, 2009, 17:02
Ok, we have other members in Chi town. Maybe Mark will see this thread and chip in his experience with several of the Audi dealers. I remember him saying a couple of them were crooks or very bad.

It takes some effort to thow a steering wheel off center. I mean you really have to hit something.

I would do this. Setup the time to have it checked. Wait for the car. Have them take you back and look under the car before they touch it.

Accept nothing less.

I have a 2003 RS6 (stock). I have it serviced at the Audi Exchange in Highland Park, Illinois. I have already let them know that they will be aligning my front end but this really aggravated me. I was also thinking that if they did any other damage, I would be back soon paying to have that fixed. I don't expect this at a high end dealership.

JCT2033
March 15th, 2009, 17:37
I'd agree with DHall. You should take look at the car while it's being hoisted and before they work on it.

Ok, we have other members in Chi town. Maybe Mark will see this thread and chip in his experience with several of the Audi dealers. I remember him saying a couple of them were crooks or very bad.

It takes some effort to thow a steering wheel off center. I mean you really have to hit something.

I would do this. Setup the time to have it checked. Wait for the car. Have them take you back and look under the car before they touch it.

Accept nothing less.

mmaturo
March 15th, 2009, 18:00

Accept nothing less.

Well yes I can (long). With my RS6 my best experiences have been with McGrath Audi and Continental Audi (Conti is my preferred). However the recent economic changes in the world reduced the number of RS6 certified techs at Continental so my last repair (DRC) took far longer than it should have due to the tech being the shop foreman so his attention is spread a little thin. However they are the only place that seems to get it right the first time and have excellent customer service (the service advisers/managers) and have owed up and repaired a curbed wheel for instance. I always have a good loaner and i will buy my next Audi through them. On your comment of do you feel like they ever take your car for a ride...well yes. I clearly had two employees go for a ride in mine from grease on my passenger seat belt and the silver leather door panel. But it could have been a check ride with two techs to diagnose my difficult issues. However I always do a walk around and mileage check and make sure they do which is why the wheel was easy to prove and no more rear bumper issues as I will mention below.

McGrath also do good work but in the early days of my RS6 ownership could not correctly diagnose my overboost issues after several attempts and i bought my car from them CPO'd just a month prior...pissed me off to no end as a 70K car should work when they just CPO'd it...4 months later and after Conti fixed it I finally owned an RS6. Since then when i needed something quick though they have been fine.

Schamburg I was ok with them with my TT and work was very good but with the RS6 I preferred somewhere with more RS6 experience and their guys didn't.

The Exchange i bought my first Audi from in 95 but as they rotated through service advisers/managers it suffered to where half the time they were fixing things that were not broken and missing the real problem. I gave up on them in 2000 after numerous refunds to me for work that was not necessary. Wouldn't trust them for a second with my RS (however plenty can change in 9 years) but with their new location it is too far of a haul now to try again. But my view is that i looked at where most other RS6 owners in the greater area went and time after time everyone headed to Conti. I prefer someone that has worked on dozens rather than a few.

Fletcher Jones are a bunch of fricken morons and i had my last Audi damaged to the point of needing a respray of a rear bumper twice due to damage by their porters. My RS6 will not ever go there. So yep I drive an hour plus from downtown to Naperville for service. As others said...do a walk around the car before hand with the service writer and note anything. Walk around after yourself and point out anything immediately. In your case bring it up to the manager which if nothing else will cause a talk with his staff to be careful with extra long test drives. No idea how they could f up the wheel but honestly mine is and ALWAYS has been off center to the right (car does not pull at all). It is kinda handy as it is just right to hold the left spoke that is higher up with my arm on the window sill.

Grigoriy_S
March 16th, 2009, 12:54

in moscow it happens sometimes - and the best we can do -to fuck the mechanik - after that nobody drives your car

V8weight
March 16th, 2009, 20:50
in moscow it happens sometimes - and the best we can do -to fuck the mechanik - after that nobody drives your car
Icky:lovl:

LBRS6
April 9th, 2009, 03:49
Well yes I can (long). With my RS6 my best experiences have been with McGrath Audi and Continental Audi (Conti is my preferred). However the recent economic changes in the world reduced the number of RS6 certified techs at Continental so my last repair (DRC) took far longer than it should have due to the tech being the shop foreman so his attention is spread a little thin. However they are the only place that seems to get it right the first time and have excellent customer service (the service advisers/managers) and have owed up and repaired a curbed wheel for instance. I always have a good loaner and i will buy my next Audi through them. On your comment of do you feel like they ever take your car for a ride...well yes. I clearly had two employees go for a ride in mine from grease on my passenger seat belt and the silver leather door panel. But it could have been a check ride with two techs to diagnose my difficult issues. However I always do a walk around and mileage check and make sure they do which is why the wheel was easy to prove and no more rear bumper issues as I will mention below.

McGrath also do good work but in the early days of my RS6 ownership could not correctly diagnose my overboost issues after several attempts and i bought my car from them CPO'd just a month prior...pissed me off to no end as a 70K car should work when they just CPO'd it...4 months later and after Conti fixed it I finally owned an RS6. Since then when i needed something quick though they have been fine.

Schamburg I was ok with them with my TT and work was very good but with the RS6 I preferred somewhere with more RS6 experience and their guys didn't.

The Exchange i bought my first Audi from in 95 but as they rotated through service advisers/managers it suffered to where half the time they were fixing things that were not broken and missing the real problem. I gave up on them in 2000 after numerous refunds to me for work that was not necessary. Wouldn't trust them for a second with my RS (however plenty can change in 9 years) but with their new location it is too far of a haul now to try again. But my view is that i looked at where most other RS6 owners in the greater area went and time after time everyone headed to Conti. I prefer someone that has worked on dozens rather than a few.

Fletcher Jones are a bunch of fricken morons and i had my last Audi damaged to the point of needing a respray of a rear bumper twice due to damage by their porters. My RS6 will not ever go there. So yep I drive an hour plus from downtown to Naperville for service. As others said...do a walk around the car before hand with the service writer and note anything. Walk around after yourself and point out anything immediately. In your case bring it up to the manager which if nothing else will cause a talk with his staff to be careful with extra long test drives. No idea how they could f up the wheel but honestly mine is and ALWAYS has been off center to the right (car does not pull at all). It is kinda handy as it is just right to hold the left spoke that is higher up with my arm on the window sill.
Thanks for all the great feedback (and to Dhall1). I have been on vacation for a few weeks and did not check for replies. I have always used the Exchange and they have been boneheads quite frequently. I just assumed it was the norm. I will definitely try Continental next time. Do you have a favorite service advisor at Continental?

M5 Eater
April 9th, 2009, 16:32
I'm in Northern VA and I have been taking my RS6 to HBL of Tysons. Is there anyone that lives around the DC Metro area that can provide info on that dealer or has a better dealer in mind for service?

Hy Octane
April 9th, 2009, 18:52
How does the service manager know off the top of his head that his mechanic didnt drive it but 3 or 4 miles? How does he instantly know that his guy didnt do anything to mess up the steering?

In essence, the SM is implying that you are incorrect.

"Listen bub.. I know the days where the customer is always right may have gone, but have we now reached the time where the customer is to be accused of lying? Dont you think if the steering wheel was off center when I brought it in I would have mentioned it then? And, why is your mechanic returning a car to me with this problem? It obviously shows incompetence on your behalf. Now fix it or I will call Audi and report this to the top!"

DHall1
April 9th, 2009, 19:00
Hey,

Audi AoA does not care.

I reported a poor service visit where I was overcharged labor rate that was on a special of 15% off. I got zip, ziltch, nada. I didnt make a huge deal of it because the parts prices were correct and those guys even gave a alittle extra because I walked back there to shoot the shit with them and buy the stuff over the counter. Haha, the service writer guy lost out on $1,000 worth of parts sale comission.

IDIOTS

Oh yeah, AoA did call me back but could do nothing about me getting overcharged.

How does the service manager know off the top of his head that his mechanic didnt drive it but 3 or 4 miles? How does he instantly know that his guy didnt do anything to mess up the steering?

In essence, the SM is implying that you are incorrect.

"Listen bub.. I know the days where the customer is always right may have gone, but have we now reached the time where the customer is to be accused of lying? Dont you think if the steering wheel was off center when I brought it in I would have mentioned it then? And, why is your mechanic returning a car to me with this problem? It obviously shows incompetence on your behalf. Now fix it or I will call Audi and report this to the top!"

Hy Octane
April 9th, 2009, 19:24
You have to know who to call my friend..

ben916
April 9th, 2009, 19:39

Classic! I am writing this down for any future flub ups with the stealers/SM...

DuckWingDuck
April 9th, 2009, 21:14

Haha, seriously, at this point, I think Paul knows EVERYONE at AoA. And not to be funny, but ultimately, that's a bad thing, no?

DHall1
April 9th, 2009, 21:16
I know but it just was not worth the time. The parts guys were very cool and I will just go back there directly next time.

Its very funny because of two things.

1. Service writers are too busy to take the time for customers. Hmmm, they better hope the customers stay.
2. If I walk back to parts and spend $1000 dollars. The service writer makes 0 dollars. :-)

I like #2

Makes my day.

absent
April 10th, 2009, 05:00

That would take a very strong "testicular virility" (to borrow the phrase from our former Illinois Governor) and as far as I know mostly only Russians are capable of.:cheers:

STaley
April 13th, 2009, 02:17
I own an Audi shop in Houston, Texas. We specialize in VW and Audi but also service several other euro makes. I have been doing performance work on Audis and VWs for some time now. I have also been an APR distributor since 2001 installing software and turbo upgrades on a semi regular basis. You would not believe the things that we reguarly hear from customers regarding "joy rides" in their cars while they are being serviced at the dealers here in Houston. NOW that is not to say that it happens every time at every dealer, but come on just fix the car and return it.

I recently bought an RS6 that belonged to one of my customers. About 3 months ago I yanked the engine to replace the EGT sensors, and told him that I was going to drive this car home and back (approx 28 miles) as a good road test after an extensive repair. Let me be the first to tell you.. that IF you want to rag on your car by all means doit. BUT I sure as heck don't want to be the person to damage something else on your car.. The risk vs. reward is definately not worth it. I can understand driving a customers car 10-20 miles if I am looking for something drivability related or the customer says hey Mike.. get on the freeway and after 20 minutes it starts making this ...... There is really nothing that you can do about it other than gripe about the steering wheel. Customer satisfaction is really a goal and the least thing that you want is somone making a stink about it on the internet.. so hopefully they will fix it to make you happy. I would.

allwheelsdriven
April 13th, 2009, 04:15
true but you are the shop owner....most of this behavior seems to occur with the lot kids who know they can always get another job.

rs-6
April 13th, 2009, 08:58
It was a factory special order. The wonderful thing Audi does (NOT), is custom colors don't have a paint code listed on the options sticker so I don't know what color of white it is. I want to get much front end touched up and then have the 3M chip protect done but I may have to just go to a high end paint shop and have it color matched. I do like the color though.

maybe you can ask Qisha?

kip
April 13th, 2009, 12:54
I had this once happen to me, when I changed the whole dashboard due to pixels going out on my M5 in a certified BMW dealer here in Finland. It had 30km more after they returned the car. I asked the chief of the workshop why was it necessary to test drive a car when they only changed the dashboard. I got a written answer that when they change the dashboard, the kilometer reading might be 30km +-. Bull%¤#t I say. They gave me a written letter that this is the cause and that nobody drove my car. Yeah the kilometer reading is not that important in a car that they would be very accurate, when they change it. And then it just happened to be +30km. At least here in Finland there is not a lot you can do if they dont addmit their mistake. I complained and complained, but what else could I do. It was not worth going to court about it. Well at least they never drove it again unnecessarily...

Also I have learned to ask them to write the precise mileage when you bring the car, not like 53000, because they are lazy to do it otherwise...

:argue:

LBRS6
April 13th, 2009, 15:42
Here is the update. I went to the dealership. They fixed my steering wheel and made no attempt to charge me. That's the good news.

On the strange side, the service advisor pulls me aside to let me know that they don't take cars for joyrides at this dealership and that he was upset that my survey was negative about this situation. He said that I negatively affected his pay by returning the survey with my complaint.

I reminded him that in the survey I complimented his work but complained that some unknown person must have taken the car for a joyride. I also reminded him that his own information showed that the test drives took a maximum of 6 miles and more likely just over 3 miles and wanted to know how the 13 miles could have accumulated if not by a joyride?

All he could do is reiterate that they don't take cars for joyrides. It was obvious that his manager had jumped down his throat for the bad survey and he was trying, feebly, to clear up the situation.

I told him that while most companies are "honest" they still have dishonest individual employees. I suggested that they work up a procedure to log miles driven by each employee and that was it.

It is behind me and I am moving on with life but it sure aggravated me for a while. I will also be checking out Continental Audi thanks to the advice received here.

Doug