PDA

View Full Version : wahoo! First kid on block with new DRC shocks!

peiserg
March 14th, 2009, 04:47
Just got my call from Audi North scottsdale.. My new shocks are in and waiting!

I did ask.. "how did you manage... they aren't supposed to be out till august.." Jason the svc writer said they put the order in for the shocks the day the service bulletin was released.. And I'm first in line woohoo!!

Bigglezworth
March 14th, 2009, 04:49
Wake the kids and call the neighbors!!:dance:

DHall1
March 14th, 2009, 08:03
Gerry,

I need to give Audi N Scottsdale a try for service and to try getting me a set of shocks. I may call you this weekend to get some names over there.

Some good news is better than nothing

Just got my call from Audi North scottsdale.. My new shocks are in and waiting!

I did ask.. "how did you manage... they aren't supposed to be out till august.." Jason the svc writer said they put the order in for the shocks the day the service bulletin was released.. And I'm first in line woohoo!!

Hy Octane
March 14th, 2009, 18:19
Hmmm. Dont be so sure.. You probably got one of the last sets of old stock here before they dried up. Please post part #'s when you get your invoice ... but be prepared to do it again come August.

DuckWingDuck
March 14th, 2009, 18:28
lol@paul. Damn, and I thought I was a pessimist!! BTW, did you hear from Dustin?

Aronis
March 15th, 2009, 00:19
I still have not received the letter!

AOA knows my address, I get my bill every month. I financed the buyout via Audi!

I'll phone them this week.

Mike

Hy Octane
March 15th, 2009, 01:15
Dustin? Nope.

peiserg
March 15th, 2009, 01:32
jason at audi north scottsdale did say this was one of "10 sets" of shocks that are currently in the usa. i don't know how he got his set, or how i managed to be number 1 on his list.. but i'm not complaining.

snoopra
March 15th, 2009, 01:55
Hmmm. Dont be so sure.. You probably got one of the last sets of old stock here before they dried up. Please post part #'s when you get your invoice ... but be prepared to do it again come August.
Was told all old stock were sent back to be updated.

SAF
March 15th, 2009, 02:58
i don't know how he got his set, or how i managed to be number 1 on his list.. but i'm not complaining.

Oh good, a guinea pig. Why do I say that? Read on...

Was told all old stock were sent back to be updated.

Not exactly what I was hoping to hear.

peiserg
March 15th, 2009, 05:42
Oh good, a guinea pig. Why do I say that? Read on...

Not exactly what I was hoping to hear.

what does one thing have to do with the other? All old stock sent back, which is standard procedure during a recall. New stock installed as it arrives.. standard procedure...

SAF
March 15th, 2009, 16:05
"old stock sent back to be updated" sounds like they are refurbishing the old stock.

Hy Octane
March 15th, 2009, 19:53
Ask your dealer if he also has the NEW pressurization kit that is needed to successfully install and charge the "new" shocks/valves. The repairs cannot be done properly without it.. This should tell you whats what.

DHall1
March 15th, 2009, 20:28
Actually if you read the bulletin the new pressure kit is not needed for the first install.

The first install includes new central valves.

Its the later repairs that will allow the dealers to recharge the central valves.

At least thats what I take away from the bulletin.

http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17890

Ask your dealer if he also has the NEW pressurization kit that is needed to successfully install and charge the "new" shocks/valves. The repairs cannot be done properly without it.. This should tell you whats what.

Hy Octane
March 15th, 2009, 20:49
Actually, the new kit ensures that the repairs are done properly.. if not it tells you to do it again.. something that has caused most problems so far,... systems not being pressurized properly cause excessive travel which causes premature failures etc. See here..

Dear Hy Octane,

the service revision provides that the central valves can be re-pressurized to factory spec of 16 bar. The revised version of the procedure combined with the special designed toolkit makes it impossible to fail in evacuating the system properly leading to a "success only" state. Otherwise the tookit will point out to start over with the procedure. A mishandling is ruled out.

I would assume that the outcome will be to the utmost satisfaction.

all certified US Dealers will receive the updated DRC Repair Toolkit: VAS 6544.
VAS 6544

Adapter for front shock absorbers
Adapter for rear shock absorbers
Filler lines with quick-release couplings
Pump unit with integrated pressure gauge and oil containers
connection hoses

Notice the need for adapters to fit the 'new revised' shocks. If you dont have this kit with the adapters, you cant use the new shocks with the old method.

Kayaba has changed the sealing ring attached on the piston rod. The piston rod itself got a new surface structure.

When a damper leak emerges there a different stages of damage. If noticed soon, there is no hardware damage- solely a oil leakage. Depending on driving style- a hardware damage on the dampers is most likely to happen due to:
less pressure -> piston rod is able to plunge deeper -> more oil is suppresed by the rods capacity -> damper inner pressure rises -> sealing ring blurts and/or piston rod twists itself (->nut of damping rod falls off)

The point of issuing new shocks is to have them installed with the new kit to ensure that it wont have to be done again.. It makes no sense to ship new shocks here without the new system and instructions/training to install them.
A few weeks ago, my tech could still get old stock shocks.. then shortly after this announcement he was told all stock is now depleted and there will be no more until the new parts arrive in the coming months.

DHall1
March 15th, 2009, 20:58
This makes more sense.

If the new shocks have different adapters then the new tool is indeed needed to properly evac any air from the lines.

Air is not good in brake lines nor DRC lines. :cheers:

Thanks for the added info HyOctane. I can be patient....

Actually, the new kit ensures that the repairs are done properly.. if not it tells you to do it again.. something that has caused most problems so far,... systems not being pressurized properly cause excessive travel which causes premature failures etc. See here..

Dear Hy Octane,

the service revision provides that the central valves can be re-pressurized to factory spec of 16 bar. The revised version of the procedure combined with the special designed toolkit makes it impossible to fail in evacuating the system properly leading to a "success only" state. Otherwise the tookit will point out to start over with the procedure. A mishandling is ruled out.

I would assume that the outcome will be to the utmost satisfaction.

all certified US Dealers will receive the updated DRC Repair Toolkit: VAS 6544.
VAS 6544

Adapter for front shock absorbers
Adapter for rear shock absorbers
Filler lines with quick-release couplings
Pump unit with integrated pressure gauge and oil containers
connection hoses

Notice the need for adapters to fit the 'new revised' shocks. If you dont have this kit with the adapters, you cant use the new shocks with the old method.

Kayaba has changed the sealing ring attached on the piston rod. The piston rod itself got a new surface structure.

When a damper leak emerges there a different stages of damage. If noticed soon, there is no hardware damage- solely a oil leakage. Depending on driving style- a hardware damage on the dampers is most likely to happen due to:
less pressure -> piston rod is able to plunge deeper -> more oil is suppresed by the rods capacity -> damper inner pressure rises -> sealing ring blurts and/or piston rod twists itself (->nut of damping rod falls off)

The point of issuing new shocks is to have them installed with the new kit to ensure that it wont have to be done again.. It makes no sense to ship new shocks here without the new system and instructions/training to install them.
A few weeks ago, my tech could still get old stock shocks.. then shortly after this announcement he was told all stock is now depleted and there will be no more until the new parts arrive in the coming months.