PDA

View Full Version : next gen S engines to go 4 cyl route!!!

RXBG
March 13th, 2009, 14:20
http://www.leftlanenews.com/audi-s4-and-s5-to-go-four-cylinder.html

not sure if i believe this. but it is possible. not sure how they could dump 800 lbs without using extensive and EXPENSIVE weight saving materials. perhaps money will go into materials management rather than engine development. but i suppose that a hi po 2.2 T (updated version of current 2.0T) could make 310 hp easily and not weigh much more....

maybe the next R8 will weigh 3000 lbs and make do with a lighter turbo'd motor.

this IS the route ferrari is going starting with the F450.

AndyBG
March 13th, 2009, 14:31
I allready posted that, but it was unnoticed...

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17543&page=5

tailpipe
March 13th, 2009, 20:06
Car and Driver's interview with Audi's engineering director Michael Dick is rapidly spreading over the internet. Given increasing environmental concerns being aired only today about climate change, the need to move on from internal combustion engines is not merely being driven by dwindling oil supplies and increasing petrol prices, but by a more urgent need to dave the planet.

This article makes it clear that cars like the B7 RS4 are already obsolete. I wonder if the new RS5 will be stillborn? I am sure there will be demand for it, but whether it will be strong enough to justify the production run remains to be seen.

I need to buy a new car sooner rather than later, and the truth is I am feeling both guilty and apprehensive about buying anything that isn't small and doesn't have 4-cylinders.

I just wonder how long it will be before a fuel cell Audi shows up. I want my horsepower back!

AndyBG
March 13th, 2009, 20:18
Something more on the subject...

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090313.008/audi-s4-and-s5-could-receive-four-cylinder-engines-in-2014

Leadfoot
March 13th, 2009, 20:28
Tailpipe,

This was/is my argument about not needing a V8 engine in an RS5/4, make either of them lighter and the need for excessive amounts of hp and torque is negated.

Just imagine the next RS5 with a inline5 2.5L with 360hp+450Nm weighing 3000lbs making 30mpg and only producing 175g/km. Now that's an ideal set of figures I could buy into.

KresoF1
March 13th, 2009, 20:38
Engine weight is not an issue. Just look at R8 4.2 FSI and R8 5.2 FSI-engine weight difference is just 31kg(for 1L bigger engine).

Extensive use of lighter materials for suspension, doors etc. can save the weight much more then engine or any drivetrain elements.

Something contraversial-S Tronic is always heavier then manual. You can say-OK, but it is saving fuel. Only, if you drive like Grandpa is my answer...

Personally, I think that current Audi engines are awsome. Would I buy future S5 or S4 with 4cyl engine? Never.

QuattroFun
March 13th, 2009, 20:43
Well, call me old fashioned or worse, but I for one would never pay same money for a 4 pot S5 than for the current V8 car (note: this is the Staedler project aim, all the extra money saved from engine downsizing goes to saving weight). When all is said and done, a V8 - or more - really separates indulgence from necessities and there are much cheaper cars to pretend to be a PC thinking man with or indeed to enjoy on a track day in. But each to their own: maybe somebody will pay up big time for a 4 cylinder S5 and that is just fine with me. Just hope the RS line is excused from this downsizing of engine trend (not weight saving).

Leadfoot
March 13th, 2009, 20:44
But would you buy one with the new inline5 and it's incredible engine note. I bet your answer is a definite YES.

tailpipe
March 13th, 2009, 20:49
Something contraversial-S Tronic is always heavier then manual. You can say-OK, but it is saving fuel. Only, if you drive like Grandpa is my answer...

:rotflmao::rotflmao:

I don't know what to think anymore. This damned recession is making everyone think negatively.

8-Cylinder.... 6-Cylinder... 5-Cylinder...4-Cylinder...2-Cylinder...1-Cylinder...

i genuinely think we're witnessing the death of the internal comustion engine. It may be a slow end, but it's coming. Roll-on battery-powered electric cars and fuel cells.

chewym
March 13th, 2009, 23:25

Not really. Audi naturally aspirated engines with manuals have to run really high RPM on the highway. A 7 speed S-Tronic with a good overdrive gear means less RPM on the highway and better fuel economy when cruising. No point to use extra fuel when you are just cruising.

As for these plans, I don't really believe them. They sound way too good to be true. The weights that they are claiming for the S4/S5 are pretty much what the much smaller TT weighs right now. A little more aluminum isn't going to magically do much.