PDA

View Full Version : RS4 DRC Question

India Whiskey Charlie
March 12th, 2009, 17:53
My RS4 is in for its 15k mile service and the dealer discovered two (1 front and 1 rear) leaking shocks. They are expediting four new shocks from Germany to be installed in the next days. Does anyone know if these are revised units like they are offering for the 2003 RS6, or are they the same shocks with chances of failures again? TIA

KK265
March 12th, 2009, 21:05
My RS4 is in for its 15k mile service and the dealer discovered two (1 front and 1 rear) leaking shocks. They are expediting four new shocks from Germany to be installed in the next days. Does anyone know if these are revised units like they are offering for the 2003 RS6, or are they the same shocks with chances of failures again? TIA

Rs4 system is different.More simple and more mechanical, less electronic.

India Whiskey Charlie
March 12th, 2009, 21:24
Rs4 system is different.More simple and more mechanical, less electronic.
Really? Well, they have the same leaking shocks problems.

Marv
March 13th, 2009, 09:15
As far as I know the C5 RS6 system is entirely passive mechanical - no electronics at all. It was labelled DRC I, RS4 got DRC II and C6 RS6 gets DRC III with 'drive select' damper control.

Winterrunner
March 13th, 2009, 15:21
Can anyone elaborate on what to look for on a DRC failure other than leaky shocks.... I am not keen on taking my wheels off every other week to check the shocks. Is there any noises or feelings associated with the failure? I read something about clunking suspension but it was very vague. Thanks!

PetrolDave
March 13th, 2009, 16:36
The C5 RS6 and B7 RS4 DRC systems are both 100% mechanical, with no electronics at all.

If you hear a clunk from the suspension when driving along a road where you normally don't hear a clunk that's when you need to look for leaking front shocks.

The experience, at least in the UK, is that the redesigned shocks don't appear to be any more reliable than the ones originally fitted. But then some of us have not had any DRC problems, I've done 29,000 miles so far and not had any DRC problems.

vasbli
March 26th, 2009, 19:22
Both systems are pretty similar. I had an issue on my Sept 06 RS4 - front shocks were leaking and i got them replaced (23000km). However, the dumb guys from Audi Valodis Rousseau Pontoise close to Paris didnt do correctly the job so I had to service the DRC again which made me understand how it worked.

In essence, I got a clonking noise because the guy who serviced the car didnt create enough oil pressure in the central valve. On the Rs4, the central valve can be shut off (before changing the shocks) and put on with 22 bars of pressure once reconnected to new shocks. On the RS6, if a leak develops, the central valve must always be replaced with the rest of the shocks to ensures necessary system pressure (ie it cant be shut down and re-pressurized)

Basically, on the RS4 you should have less spare parts cost while servicing the DRC. I am going to pick my car next week, hopefully will learn more

KK265
March 26th, 2009, 20:54
Both systems are pretty similar. I had an issue on my Sept 06 RS4 - front shocks were leaking and i got them replaced (23000km). However, the dumb guys from Audi Valodis Rousseau Pontoise close to Paris didnt do correctly the job so I had to service the DRC again which made me understand how it worked.

In essence, I got a clonking noise because the guy who serviced the car didnt create enough oil pressure in the central valve. On the Rs4, the central valve can be shut off (before changing the shocks) and put on with 22 bars of pressure once reconnected to new shocks. On the RS6, if a leak develops, the central valve must always be replaced with the rest of the shocks to ensures necessary system pressure (ie it cant be shut down and re-pressurized)

Basically, on the RS4 you should have less spare parts cost while servicing the DRC. I am going to pick my car next week, hopefully will learn more
22 BAR?Audi service manual says 12-15 bar is ok and 16 if replace the cylinders with oil under the trunk.

vasbli
March 26th, 2009, 21:53
On top of my head, and over the phone, i remember 22 bars. Don't quote me on that.

youry
March 27th, 2009, 00:24
pleae aftermarket KW V3 and foret abotu DRC... it will come back anyway....