PDA

View Full Version : HI PO R8. what comes after the V10?

RXBG
March 12th, 2009, 15:36
rumors exist that audi is not done with the R8 yet in terms of public consumption variants.

could audi make a street legal RWD GT3? doubtful. could it make a clubsport version of the V10, definitely yes. but what about a new engine? i believe the V12 TDI concept is out- tranny and cooling issues noted. but it is possible audi could put in a version of the R15 racecar engine- smaller than the V12 and even more powerful it could give audi the chance to add another first to its totem pole of achievements. gaswise- i don't think audi will put any new engines in the car- insted letting it run its lifecycle through MY 2014 or so with just clubsport versions-superleggera versions if you will. the midengine concept needs to incorporate better cooling designs before TT engines can be put back there... perhaps the R8 successor.

KresoF1
March 12th, 2009, 16:06
Engines are not the problem in current R8. The problem is lack of DCT(or S Tronic). Current R8 design will very hard be adopted to except any DCT(there is a potential candidate from Getrag that will go in to new Ferrari F450) and R Tronic is well not my cup of tea. Anyway sequential manuals are market wise dead.

Engines? V8 and V10 are good enough IMHO. Do not forget that V10 is good for at least 550ps(since in LP560-4 is has 560ps). V8 can achieve 450ps(as it will in RS5).

Next engine for current R8? Maybe that V12 TDI-if they find manual good for 1000Nm... I am serious here.
Hint-V10 TT from RS6 fit into to R8 V10 engine bay without any problem. Cooling issues are resolved...

Ultimate R8 IMHO could be with 5.0L TFSI with 600ps/700Nm. With right gearbox is could be true Le Mans for road. Just-Audi will not build it-trust me.

RXBG
March 12th, 2009, 16:20
i am not sure where you heard that audi resolved the cooling issues with the V10 TT back there. even if they did, this car would not be approved by porsche as it would supercede even the bloated LP670 in the performance department.

such a car would be incredible- 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and 1/4 in 11 seconds according to my estimates. and cost 200k USD.

Mr Balsen
March 12th, 2009, 16:30
Gearbox + Engine from Audi RS6 doesn't fit in the current R8 V8 oder v10....

Frederic

KresoF1
March 12th, 2009, 16:35
Gearbox + Engine from Audi RS6 doesn't fit in the current R8 V8 oder v10....

Frederic

Gearbox of course NOT. Engine? I heard different then you claim. Of course, with extensive rework a la R8 V12 TDI...