PDA

View Full Version : TT RS options

KresoF1
March 12th, 2009, 11:47
Some good and some bad news...

Wheels:
Only 3 options currently avialable till end of 2009.

PQW 9x19 5-arm Rotor design 255/35-19
PQU 9x19 5-arm Rotor design Titanium 255/35-19
PQN 9x20 7-arm RS4 desing, poliert 255/30-20

NO 20" in Titanium look.

PQQ is 280km/h package with Carbon Sigma engine trim.

6FQ is exterior rear view mirrors in Carbon. Same code is valid for R8 as well from KW22.

OP6 is sport exhaust with Black exhaust tips.

Otherwise option list is pretty long and standard equipment is not very big.

Leadfoot
March 12th, 2009, 12:05
Considering how much much expensive the TT/RS is in comparison to the S5 in the UK but it's the opposite in Germany I reckon we here in the UK will get quite a bit of standard equipment in comparison to Europe.

I'm hoping to hear the UK spec and option list soon.

Fab
March 12th, 2009, 12:28
yeap 20" are poliert only. I can live with it :D

I am surprised they don't offer (at least know) the 19" RS titanium available for the RS4 since few people might be willing to go hardcore with 20"

I think the extra cost for bucket seats is a bit "rich" considering it is free on the RS4.

coming back to options (still waiting for an exhaustive list) can someone tell me more about the external "black package" is it the usual one with black front grill, front spoiler black lip and full black fixed spoiler (including fixation) ?

SigmaS6
March 12th, 2009, 22:19
Otherwise option list is pretty long and standard equipment is not very big.
Does it vary from country to country or is this a general concept of Audi for this model?

KresoF1
March 13th, 2009, 07:38
Does it vary from country to country or is this a general concept of Audi for this model?

It will marginally vary from market to market.

Leadfoot
March 13th, 2009, 20:41
Considering that in Germany the TT/RS is cheaper than the S5 but in the UK it dearer by nearly £4k you can see why I believe we in the UK will get a higher specced car as standard.

The thing I will be surprised about is if MagneticRide isn't standard as well as the sports Recaros.

KresoF1
March 13th, 2009, 20:46
The thing I will be surprised about is if MagneticRide isn't standard as well as the sports Recaros.

Unfortunately, even for UK market these items are optional.

SigmaS6
March 13th, 2009, 20:57
@Kreso: just wondering how you'd rate the MR compared to the standard RS-suspension?

So far I've read in all reviews that the normal suspension doesn't even come close to the sportiness of the MR and judging from the full price you have to pay for MR on the RS it seems that the RS suspension is in no way special, otherwise the price difference to the MR would be lower than it is for the other models.

So at the moment I'd assume that MR as well as the RS seats (which were a free option on other RS models) are part of the absolute minimum spec for any RS, except that you'll have to pay extra. Would you agree?

Oh, any idea when the first press cars will ship?

KresoF1
March 13th, 2009, 21:07
@Kreso: just wondering how you'd rate the MR compared to the standard RS-suspension?

So far I've read in all reviews that the normal suspension doesn't even come close to the sportiness of the MR and judging from the full price you have to pay for MR on the RS it seems that the RS suspension is in no way special, otherwise the price difference to the MR would be lower than it is for the other models.

So at the moment I'd assume that MR as well as the RS seats (which were a free option on other RS models) are part of the absolute minimum spec for any RS, except that you'll have to pay extra. Would you agree?

Oh, any idea when the first press cars will ship?

Your read all TT RS reviews?? Or you are talking about R8? Regarding R8 V10 comparison read latest EVO. John Barker desribed very nicelly difference between standard Magnetic Ride and optional Sport suspension on R8 V10.

For me problem with TT RS is so called S(Sport) button. It allerts throttle response, exhaust valve and optional Magnetic Ride. You can not choose Sport throttle response with normal mode of Magnetic Ride. Leadie and me already discussed this thing in TT RS technical discussion thread.

Magnetic Ride for TT RS? Yes, if you will drive your car as daily driver.

SigmaS6
March 13th, 2009, 21:15
Your read all TT RS reviews??
No, but all I read came to a similar, pro-MR conclusion.

John Barker desribed very nicelly difference between standard Magnetic Ride and optional Sport suspension on R8 V10.
Can you give me a hint as to how the normal suspension manages to be better than the MR? So far I thought the MR could emulate whatever you wanted while the normal suspension can just offer one setting for all occasions. So in my vision of the MR, it'll offer the same as the sports suspension, only that you get other optional modes on top of that.

Magnetic Ride for TT RS? Yes, if you will drive your car as daily driver.
I'm a bit confused now: when would you want the sport settings for everything except for the suspension?

The RS6
March 13th, 2009, 23:05
I'm a bit confused now: when would you want the sport settings for everything except for the suspension?

If you had roads like ours you'd understand :rolleyes: :noshake:

SigmaS6
March 13th, 2009, 23:08
But if the standard suspension of the RS should be close the MR on the track I reckon it'll be at least as hard as MR would be in sports mode?

KresoF1
March 14th, 2009, 08:08
But if the standard suspension of the RS should be close the MR on the track I reckon it'll be at least as hard as MR would be in sports mode?

Example R8 V10: optional Sport suspension is extensively tuned on the Ring, Oschersleben and Hockenheim. So, naturally it is marginally faster on these tracks then Magnetic Ride. In hardness Sport suspension is similar to Magnetic Ride in Sport mode.

Example TT RS: according to internal Audi sale material-the same thing as on R8 V10.

Just-there are different roads all over the world. The RS6 gave you a perfect example, here in Croatia autobahns are new and some are truly awsome in quality. There are many excellent windy(or B) roads as well, speically close to adriatic coast. BUT, some roads are in bad shape. For that roads normal setting on Magnetic Ride is a must.

In the end it is up to personal preference. Some people like haard suspension all the time...

2jm
March 14th, 2009, 08:14

As far as I know the bucket seats were a free option only on RS4 which introduced the seats and for which those seats were made. You have to pay for those seats with RS6, R8, S3 (a bit different seat), TTS and now TTRS.

IMO all RS cars should have buckets as a non-cost option. I think the bucket seats are quite expensive seats, even for audi.

The Pretender
March 14th, 2009, 10:04
The rear wing deletion is also a free option.

Jarod.

SigmaS6
March 21st, 2009, 11:55
Is there any date set when I should expect to see the official release of the missing price lists for europe? Shouldn't the ordering process start 'end of march' according to Audi?

The Pretender
March 22nd, 2009, 14:43
Any info about rear seats removal option with a bar/cargo-net replacement like this.

http://images22.fotki.com/v519/photos/2/201040/4652133/DSC09523-vi.jpg

Jarod.

KresoF1
March 25th, 2009, 07:32
TT RS colors:

Ibis White
Monza Silver Metallic
Suzuka Grey Metallic
Daytona Grey Pearl Effect
Misano Red Pearl Effect
Sepang Blue Pearl Effect
Mugello Blue Pearl Effect
Phantom Black Pearl Effect

Further info for fans of white pearl colors-Inuit Pearl Effect get order Audi code 9K9K so, it can be ordered as Audi Exclusive color via quattro gmbh.

BTW, there WONT be rear seat removal option.

JavierNuvolari
March 25th, 2009, 13:50
Any info about rear seats removal option with a bar/cargo-net replacement like this.

http://images22.fotki.com/v519/photos/2/201040/4652133/DSC09523-vi.jpg

Jarod.

Uber cool. Isn't that the Gulf TT ?

itisme
March 25th, 2009, 15:10

picture

Jarod.

do you have more pics on that one? IS it current TT-RS? They were taken next to the Audi Forum in Ingolstadt... sometimes you'll find nice cars there

KresoF1
March 26th, 2009, 16:24
German Price List:
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/pdf/price_lists.Par.0015.File.pdf

SigmaS6
March 28th, 2009, 00:26
IS it current TT-RS?
That one was driving around way before the TTS came to life and never made it into production. It was the car of Audis head of engineering iirc.

Strange though, that Audi exclusive is not offering anything as a rear seat replacement, usually they are quite good at selling minor details at big prices :)

I'd like to see a different use of that space as well...

Phage
March 28th, 2009, 13:16
do you have more pics on that one? IS it current TT-RS? They were taken next to the Audi Forum in Ingolstadt... sometimes you'll find nice cars there
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3105432

roadrunner
March 28th, 2009, 16:49
The "Gulf" TT is/was driven by Member of the Board, Head of Audi Tech Department - Michael Dick. He also has the Mk.I in the same look.

The pearl white in the fourtitude link was driven by Rupert Stadler.

In a recent interview, which is his favorite Audi - he replyed: TT Coupe & R8 - i guess that means TT RS & R8 5.2 right now :hihi:

The Pretender
March 28th, 2009, 16:56
i guess that means TT RS & R8 5.2 right now :hihi:
Ditto.

Jarod.

KresoF1
April 1st, 2009, 17:46
Some news...

On restricted(130km/h) markets fixed spoiler is NON cost option. In Germany it is standard item.

Leadfoot
April 2nd, 2009, 16:00
The "Gulf" TT is/was driven by Member of the Board, Head of Audi Tech Department - Michael Dick. He also has the Mk.I in the same look.

The pearl white in the fourtitude link was driven by Rupert Stadler.

In a recent interview, which is his favorite Audi - he replyed: TT Coupe & R8 - i guess that means TT RS & R8 5.2 right now :hihi:

I wrote what seems to be a life time ago that the TT/RS would be the best RS model to date (remember the R8 isn't an RS but an R ;)) and I now see more and more people are finally coming round to that way of thinking.

Personally given the choice of spending £80K on an R8v8 or spending a bit more than half of that on a TT/RS I know which one I would have. The TT/RS is the supercar in a credit crunch. :hihi:

KresoF1
April 3rd, 2009, 19:15
TT RS is in audi.de web configurator.

The Pretender
April 3rd, 2009, 19:39
TT RS is in audi.de web configurator.
Yes i know, i end up with a € 74.170,- TT RS in it.

Jarod.

SigmaS6
April 4th, 2009, 00:25
And some Audi exclusive options are not even in there yet, e.g. painted seat backs :)

The Pretender
April 4th, 2009, 00:29
And some Audi exclusive options are not even in there yet, e.g. painted seat backs :)
Sat Nav plus MMI iPod combo.
20" RS Forged wheels.

Jarod.

LittleDevil
April 8th, 2009, 20:21
RS :burnout:

http://spots.autogespot.com/viewimages.php?id=c214748364808042009173940

Best Regards

The Pretender
April 8th, 2009, 21:33
http://spots.autogespot.com/files/08_04_2009/c214748364808042009173940_1.jpg
http://spots.autogespot.com/files/08_04_2009/c214748364808042009173940_2.jpg
http://spots.autogespot.com/files/08_04_2009/c214748364808042009173940_3.jpg
http://spots.autogespot.com/files/08_04_2009/c214748364808042009173940_4.jpg

Jarod.

Ruergard
April 9th, 2009, 14:31
Sits perfect on the RS6 wheels, thanks!

Leadfoot
April 9th, 2009, 16:11
Sits perfect on the RS6 wheels, thanks!

I wouldn't go for a TT/RS unless that was offered as an option because these are the best looking alloys Audi currently make and as the rs4 alloys can now be got on anything from an A6 to an A3 1.9TDi I hope Audi at least keep these ones exclusive to the RS line up and nothing else.

andreadebi
April 9th, 2009, 16:18
I wouldn't go for a TT/RS unless that was offered as an option because these are the best looking alloys Audi currently make and as the rs4 alloys can now be got on anything from an A6 to an A3 1.9TDi I hope Audi at least keep these ones exclusive to the RS line up and nothing else.

also on normal a3-A4 you can have rs6 style but 18"-19"

The Pretender
April 9th, 2009, 16:20
also on normal a3-A4 you can have rs6 style but 18"-19"
And every other TT or Audi.

Jarod.

KresoF1
April 9th, 2009, 16:21

This 19" Segment wheels wont be an option for TT RS. New 19" in Rotor design is option unique to TT RS only.

Leadfoot
April 9th, 2009, 16:27
This 19" Segment wheels wont be an option for TT RS. New 19" in Rotor design is option unique to TT RS only.

That's a shame because these new rotor design don't really appeal to me. Maybe in person they will look better.

The Pretender
April 9th, 2009, 16:32
.....because these new rotor design don't really appeal to me....
Ditto.

Jarod.

SigmaS6
April 12th, 2009, 22:40
I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the optional black exhaust and the suspension of the RS.

I wonder if the black exhaust will noticably change the sound and if so will it be so much better that it's worth the money? So far I haven't seen any info from Audi on this, plus the coupe presented in geneva did have the normal exhaust. Shouldn't they have used the more expensive one, as they also presented the sound to the audience for the first time during this event?

Also I just saw that the RS is only 3mm lower than the TTS (1342mm vs 1345mm). I somehow can't imagine that a regular suspension with the same spring deflection can be as good as the MR with it's less viscose damper fluid (in S mode). So I wonder which option will be the best choice if the setup should deserve the attribute 'as sporty as possible'?

The Pretender
April 12th, 2009, 22:45
The sound on Audi.de is with the optional black exhaust and the suspension is sait to be faster ther MR.
Would not order it though.

Hans.

SigmaS6
April 12th, 2009, 22:48
The sound on Audi.de is with the optional black exhaust
In the german forum there's a mail posted where someone asked Audi about that and they replied that they assume it was recorded with the standard exhaust.

And which of the two options would you not order? ;)

The Pretender
April 12th, 2009, 22:56
In the german forum there's a mail posted where someone asked Audi about that and they replied that they assume it was recorded with the standard exhaust.

And which of the two options would you not order? ;)
The sport suspension, Magnetic Ride for me 24/7.

Hans.

Qisha
April 13th, 2009, 13:04
Dear SigmaS6,

the Soundclip on the Audi Website does not feature the optional Sport Exhaust. You can assume a very present Exhaust tone, as much as possible to receive a Homologation. Sound is adoreable and worth the extra cost. :thumb:

If you take it from the "as sporty as possible" side of view, the regular Suspension is your way to go. Personally i would choose the magnetic ride version, as it is the best overall suspension choice. The regular suspension combined with the 19" wheel combo features the most firm character, if you are willing to accept this on a daily basis.

Qisha

SigmaS6
April 13th, 2009, 13:12
Personally i would choose the magnetic ride version, as it is the best overall suspension choice.
But even the S-mode is less sporty than the standard suspension? Dunno why, but even though the MR is not that expensive compared to the base price of the RS, I'm still reluctant to pay the full price for this TTS-base-option. It's more about the principle than the money for me.

Leadfoot
April 13th, 2009, 18:42
But even the S-mode is less sporty than the standard suspension? Dunno why, but even though the MR is not that expensive compared to the base price of the RS, I'm still reluctant to pay the full price for this TTS-base-option. It's more about the principle than the money for me.

Don't mistake firmness for better, as is the case with the standard setup versus the MagneticRide. The same opinion was that the SS was better than MR in the R8 but I believe this didn't prove to be true.

Unless you want your TT/RS to be firm instead of composed then be my guest and stick with the stock suspension but I think it would be advisable to try both setups before putting a deposit down on a finalised spec.

The one other advantage that the MR setup will give you is the option to use larger diameter rims than standard suspension and still retain ride quality, this may end up to be a deal breaker.

SigmaS6
April 13th, 2009, 20:12
Don't mistake firmness for better,
But for a passive suspension that's more or less the way it works. If the spring deflection is the same as with the MR, it has to be harder as it's not possible to adjust anything dynamically.

The same opinion was that the SS was better than MR in the R8 but I believe this didn't prove to be true.
That's what bothers me a bit, as the V10 has MR as standard and for the R8 V8 it's an option. So it seems the MR is the sportier approach on this one.

I'm still puzzled as to why it's not standard on the RS if it's better. The fact that they charge the full price for a 0 Euro option really confuses me. I wonder if it might be a hint as to prefer the standard setup or if they are just that obviously greedy.

Unless you want your TT/RS to be firm instead of composed then be my guest and stick with the stock suspension
I just want the suspension that goes best with the rest of the setup and doesn't contradict it.

but I think it would be advisable to try both setups before putting a deposit down on a finalised spec.
But we know that Audi usually delivers demo cars with the first customer cars, so if I want to drive one first I can expect my delivery to be some time in fall. Why should I want an RS in fall instead of summer? Then I could skip it for this year and see if there will be a DSG available for the next model year, too :)

The one other advantage that the MR setup will give you is the option to use larger diameter rims than standard suspension and still retain ride quality
Honestly I have no idea how much ride quality I'll lose or how many seconds the MR will cost me on a Nürburgring round. Will it be that much faster to justify the hard setup or will the MR make the RS feel sluggish and make you regret not having taken the real deal?

It just feels strange to pay extra money to make the car a little slower :)

Leadfoot
April 13th, 2009, 21:14
Your last comments are the ones I am addressing here.

Why assume that MR is slower than standard?

Firm may well work best on some tracks and not others and the reason for that is down to the fact that not all tracks are smooth. So if you intention is to track the car regularly ask yourself is that track smooth or not and with that information ask someone like Qisha or maybe a member of quattroGmbH which would best suit your track and daily requirement. But I think in the long run the MR will give you the best balance overall between track speed and regular road speed.

I know this example isn't the same but I did once get the drive 2 TT3.2s back to back and I felt the MR car coped with irregularities midcorner compared the the standard setup which lose a lot of it's composure.

SigmaS6
April 13th, 2009, 22:21
Why assume that MR is slower than standard?
It was mentioned in one of the threads in this forum.

and with that information ask someone like Qisha or maybe a member of quattroGmbH which would best suit your track and daily requirement.
If I had a contact person at quattro GmbH I would probably have made up my mind already by now. Qishas comments are very much appreciated but they often leave me with new questions and I'm not sure that he's got time to spend for a more thorough conversation on my concerns :)

I'm happy to hear from him from time to time in threads like these, so I don't want to annoy him by sending individual questions.

I know this example isn't the same but I did once get the drive 2 TT3.2s back to back
For any other TT model I think it has been proven already that MR is the best setup if you want a fast car and I wouldn't have doubted this in the first place for the RS if Audi wouldn't have confused me by explicitly removing it from the base config.

I just don't see why they would develop a new suspension if they could have made the MR standard as with the TTS. Why go the extra mile if the exisiting technology is the best choice anyway?

KresoF1
April 14th, 2009, 07:05
But for a passive suspension that's more or less the way it works. If the spring deflection is the same as with the MR, it has to be harder as it's not possible to adjust anything dynamically.

That's what bothers me a bit, as the V10 has MR as standard and for the R8 V8 it's an option. So it seems the MR is the sportier approach on this one.

On both versions of R8 (4.2 FSI and 5.2 FSI) faster suspension around ALL race tracks is Sport Suspension. Why is it standard on R8 5.2 FSI? Marketing reasons and to justify price upcharge.

Not only that Sport Suspension is faster, it is 5kg overall lighter then Magnetic Ride. Stephan Reil explained in-depth features about both suspensions on press intro in Marbella. Qisha would confirm that as well.

Just, for average R8 costumer(NOT average driver) Magnetic Ride is better option for daily driving since it features standard(or comfort) mode. Sport Suspension is as firm as Magnetic Ride in Sport mode.

Same story is about Bucket seats-they give you more support then very good standard sport seats and are lighter overall.
BUT, R8 equiped with Sport Suspension, Bucket seats and Ceramics is about 0.2s faster on Hockenheim(Klein Kurs) then version with Magnetic Ride, standard seats and brakes.

On TT RS things are the same. Just I do not like the fact that Magnetic Ride is controlled via S button. But, that is me(I could be used to much on R8 setup. Only one throttle setting and Magnetic Ride controlled via its own button. IMHO this setup is way better.)...

Leadfoot
April 14th, 2009, 15:23
On both versions of R8 (4.2 FSI and 5.2 FSI) faster suspension around ALL race tracks is Sport Suspension. Why is it standard on R8 5.2 FSI? Marketing reasons and to justify price upcharge.

That is probably the reason but I believe most R8s are ordered with MR anyway.

Not only that Sport Suspension is faster, it is 5kg overall lighter then Magnetic Ride. Stephan Reil explained in-depth features about both suspensions on press intro in Marbella. Qisha would confirm that as well.

I still insist that track conditions will determine which setup is best. Maybe you can confirm this but I believe I remember reading that Sport Auto produced their best time from the M3 on the ring when equipped with it's electronic dampers and set to their softest setting. The bumpier the track the firmer the suspension will have problems under braking and with bump deflection.

Just, for average R8 costumer(NOT average driver) Magnetic Ride is better option for daily driving since it features standard(or comfort) mode. Sport Suspension is as firm as Magnetic Ride in Sport mode.

I would definitely agree with that. An average driver will probably prefer the balanced nature of the MR over the firmer/twitchy nature of the stock suspension.

BUT, R8 equiped with Sport Suspension, Bucket seats and Ceramics is about 0.2s faster on Hockenheim(Klein Kurs) then version with Magnetic Ride, standard seats and brakes.

On TT RS things are the same.

But do you not think it's a bit anal? Picking the less comfortable setup for a possible 0.1s (without bucket seats and ceramics) improvement over MR when the chances of any of us noticing this difference is slim at best.

Just I do not like the fact that Magnetic Ride is controlled via S button. But, that is me(I could be used to much on R8 setup. Only one throttle setting and Magnetic Ride controlled via its own button. IMHO this setup is way better.)...

I too think this was a stupid decision by Audi to go this route with such an overtly sporty car as the TT/RS. I usually praise Audi for their well judged list of options open to the driver which isn't a multiple choice list as there is with cars like BMW's M cars but they should have allowed the drivers of the TT/RS to pick the throttle response separately from the suspension.

SigmaS6
April 14th, 2009, 18:17
Stephan Reil explained in-depth features about both suspensions on press intro in Marbella.
Is there any publicly available material that reflects any of this? I'm currently amazed as to how lame a PR-department can be at trying to sell something without handing out infos to the potential buyer. There is no information available whatsoever on the exhaust or standard suspension apart from their prices. Everything I know about it (and that's more than any dealer I talked to so far) is extracted from this forum.

Sport Suspension is as firm as Magnetic Ride in Sport mode.
Is it? I think I read in this forum as well that the standard suspension was supposed to be sportier, which made me assume that the s-mode of MR is still more adjusted for comfort than grip.

In that case I'd even assume that the biggest part comes from the brakes and not so much from the suspension, which would mean the correct theory would be that Audi made MR an full price option just because of greed, not because it's not really aligned to the overall RS-setup.

Btw, is the MR setup and height exactly the same as on the TTS or will the RS still be lower?

Just I do not like the fact that Magnetic Ride is controlled via S button.
I wouldn't have a problem with that, the roads in germany are in relatively good condition, so the situation that I want a soft setup with engine sport settings will probably never occur.

KresoF1
April 14th, 2009, 18:39
Is there any publicly available material that reflects any of this? I'm currently amazed as to how lame a PR-department can be at trying to sell something without handing out infos to the potential buyer. There is no information available whatsoever on the exhaust or standard suspension apart from their prices. Everything I know about it (and that's more than any dealer I talked to so far) is extracted from this forum.

No, there is no public material about it. It is what is said directly by Stephan Reil to Motorpresse guys in Marbella(btw, some of it is published in Sport Auto drive impression article in March 2009 issue).

Is it? I think I read in this forum as well that the standard suspension was supposed to be sportier, which made me assume that the s-mode of MR is still more adjusted for comfort than grip.

In that case I'd even assume that the biggest part comes from the brakes and not so much from the suspension, which would mean the correct theory would be that Audi made MR an full price option just because of greed, not because it's not really aligned to the overall RS-setup.

Ceramics do not bring anything in terms of actual track time. They add extra confidence since pedal feel(and brake power) are the same, at least for few laps more then with standard brakes.

Suspension is the key element for track time.

Btw, is the MR setup and height exactly the same as on the TTS or will the RS still be lower?

In R8 case Sport suspension cars are 3mm lower(1249mm) then cars with Magnetic Ride(1252mm).

SigmaS6
April 14th, 2009, 19:06
some of it is published in Sport Auto drive impression article in March 2009 issue.
Now you confused me again ;) In that article (hadn't read that part before) it says that the free (grrr) option 'sports suspension' increases the dynamic but without loosing comfort (no idea how that can be possible though, seems to defy the laws of physics). So the SS sounds like the better solution for the R8 and probably for the RS as well as it's free, faster and doesn't offer worse comfort than the MR.

Plus I remember that a common notice on other TT reviews was that the MR was rather similar in sports and normal mode, i.e. both settings were described as rather hard by many testers. Which makes the actual advantage of the MR even smaller if that's still the case with the RS.

So I guess I'm back at square one: what exactly do I get for the 1100 euros that I wont get with the SS?

Damn, I wish Audi would just hand out both versions to the press for an afternoon to help people decide on this.

KresoF1
April 14th, 2009, 19:32
So I guess I'm back at square one: what exactly do I get for the 1100 euros that I wont get with the SS?

You get more comfort for daily city driving. That is the point.

SigmaS6
April 14th, 2009, 19:47
You get more comfort for daily city driving.
But the increase in comfort is more a homeopathic dose than a different feeling if the sentences sport auto wrote are interpreted correctly (and applicable to the RS).

If that was the case I wouldn't shell out 1100 bucks for it, especially as it's free of charge on the TTS.

KresoF1
April 14th, 2009, 20:04
But the increase in comfort is more a homeopathic dose than a different feeling if the sentences sport auto wrote are interpreted correctly (and applicable to the RS).

If that was the case I wouldn't shell out 1100 bucks for it, especially as it's free of charge on the TTS.

Just on TTS you could not get Sport Suspension.

SigmaS6
April 14th, 2009, 20:12
Just on TTS you could not get Sport Suspension.
But that shouldn't affect the price of the option in my opinion. If it's free if I'm paying 11k Euros less for a TT I expect it to stay free on higher priced models.

That's why I'm so anal about determining it's actual worth for the driving experience, as it just seems wrong to buy it for the full price.

Leadfoot
April 14th, 2009, 23:15
Everyone is assuming that the software for the MagneticRide in the TT/RS is the exact same as in the TT/S. Maybe it is but then again maybe it isn't.

The Pretender
April 15th, 2009, 00:07
Everyone is assuming that the software for the MagneticRide in the TT/RS is the exact same as in the TT/S. Maybe it is but then again maybe it isn't.
It's definitely not.

Hans.

SigmaS6
April 15th, 2009, 19:31
And the difference is?

SigmaS6
April 15th, 2009, 20:44
Sport Suspension is as firm as Magnetic Ride in Sport mode.
@Qisha or someone who drove it, can you confirm this?

This topic is discussed in other forums as well at the moment and as it seems the consensus of at least the german car magazines was that the MR works best in normal mode while sport mode is just a bit harder, but not essentially better.

So I'm actually wondering if the sport suspension might even offer a more balanced ride compared to the MR in sport mode?

I mean there has to be a reason why it was not only developed but also made standard even though MR already offers two modes.

KresoF1
April 16th, 2009, 07:00
Example-R8 equiped with MR is faster around Klein Kurs Hockenheim and Nordschleife in Sport mode. Audi has done the thing right with MR for R8 which is working as it should, unlike PASM on Porsche were 997 Turbo is faster around Klein Kurs Hockenheim and Nordschleife in standard(comfort) mode. Sport mode on PASM is simply said only good for flat surface.

Qisha
April 16th, 2009, 09:20
Dear SigmaS6,

both suspensions, the regular RS- as well as AMR have bee re-engineered for use within the TTRS.

In Sport mode, the rebound and suspension rate matches the regular RS suspension. In normal mode the rebound is about 15% less, leading to a more "comfort" feedback.

Therefore the differencies in Sport mode versus regular suspension is marginal.

AMR is threated as a option, since the TTRS is seen to be a pure driving machine and the regular suspensions matches this characteristic best. AMR is only available for customers that are looking for a "comfort" daily drive with the option to be pure.

Based on AMR´s response characteristic it is in advance if it comes to compensation of unevenness of the road. This should be threated as a benefit if it comes to highspeed driving-, no "bumping" like within regular steel suspensions.

Last but not least it is up to the customer if- or not this "dual mode" feature is interesting. Price wise, yes.

The price is still acceptable if you consider the re-engineering for best overall performance. It is only based on the regular AMR but not equal to the TTS AMR.

Qisha

trick
April 16th, 2009, 15:14
Qisha - that last sentance is a bit confusing. I thought I understood that the RS AMR was specifically re-engineered for the RS until you said :

It is only based on the regular AMR but not equal to the TTS AMR.

So is the RS AMR based on standard MR and not the "Sport MR" from the TTS?

SigmaS6
April 16th, 2009, 17:53
In Sport mode, the rebound and suspension rate matches the regular RS suspension.
But isn't the MR still on the sunny side of this comparison as it actively fights the rolling motion the body tries to execute in corners?

In normal mode the rebound is about 15% less, leading to a more "comfort" feedback.
Is that more or less noticable than the difference between the two modes in the regular MR?

Therefore the differencies in Sport mode versus regular suspension is marginal.
And the difference to the comfort mode? I.e. is the sport suspension a back breaker or are we talking about marginal comfort gains the MR can offer?

if it comes to highspeed driving-, no "bumping" like within regular steel suspensions.
This includes both modes of the MR?

Last but not least it is up to the customer if- or not this "dual mode" feature is interesting.
But it sounds to me that you'd recommend it anyway based on it's technology, regardless of the need for comfort? :)

The price is still acceptable if you consider the re-engineering for best overall performance. It is only based on the regular AMR but not equal to the TTS AMR.

I wonder why the customer only gets this information if he reads threads like this. Shouldn't the PR-department be interested in explaining to the customer why it became all of a sudden a full price option? At least I'd been much calmer on this issue if I knew it was the customizing costs for the RS that I'm supposed to pay instead of the hardware that went free with every TTS.

Leadfoot
April 16th, 2009, 18:55
I believe what Qisha is saying is that the MR in the TT/RS is based on the same MR as the normal TT and TT/S but tuned different to both the others and that it's performance in sport mode is similar to the stock suspension but with the added advantage of comfort when not wanting to push at 10/10th.

It is without doubt an option that will help re-sale when that time comes.

youry
April 16th, 2009, 22:04
if i buy a TT RS I will not tkae that option for sure. now that I know its as good as the MR anyway.... and I don't think people will buy a TT RS to get confort but to get a sportscar...

SigmaS6
April 16th, 2009, 23:18
if i buy a TT RS I will not tkae that option for sure. now that I know its as good as the MR anyway
That's not the way I understood Qisha, to me it sounded as if the MR was at least on par with the SS and in several situations even noticably better.

Leadfoot
April 17th, 2009, 10:03
That's not the way I understood Qisha, to me it sounded as if the MR was at least on par with the SS and in several situations even noticably better.

I think you have got it. :thumb:

youry
April 17th, 2009, 11:08
agreed but the real goal of the MR is to add confort rather than adding performance. that was my point. in addition I would most likely change the suspension by a KW V3 whihc wousl rsult in superior suspension (while removing some extra confort, but thta is not the goal for me) its looks and performance.

SigmaS6
April 17th, 2009, 14:35
I think you have got it. :thumb:
Let's see if Qisha will give it a final confirmation, i.e. that the SS is more or less a cheaper alternative of the same thing in case you don't care about a bit of bunny hopping and don't want the anti-roll feature of the MR.

Because once the MR is all about superior technical details and not just about additional comfort (i.e. the comfort is a byproduct of the MR, not it's purpose) then I guess I'm through with my decision on this subject :)

My initial fear was that the MR could change things to the worse and give you a soft ride that makes no sense with the idea behind the RS.

Leadfoot
April 19th, 2009, 09:16
Let's see if Qisha will give it a final confirmation, i.e. that the SS is more or less a cheaper alternative of the same thing in case you don't care about a bit of bunny hopping and don't want the anti-roll feature of the MR.

Because once the MR is all about superior technical details and not just about additional comfort (i.e. the comfort is a byproduct of the MR, not it's purpose) then I guess I'm through with my decision on this subject :)

My initial fear was that the MR could change things to the worse and give you a soft ride that makes no sense with the idea behind the RS.

I may be viewing Qisha's comments differently than yourself, I see the SS as more a one trick pony that does the sporty handling stuff very well indeed but just doesn't offer the same breadth of abilities as the MR does. SS will handle normal track surfaces probably every bit as well as MR but when you throw in a surface that has lots of imperfections and bumps then it will possibly be a bit more clueless in comparison to MR and struggle to maintain it's composure when really pushed to the extreme.

I wouldn't order a TT/RS without this option because apart from everything mention above I feel it will broaden it's appeal and qualities to a much wider audience.