PDA

View Full Version : Denso Iridium spark plugs

DHall1
March 10th, 2009, 16:04
Hey all,

Just to put up a quick thread on these.

Funny thing I noted about the IK20 or (IK22/colder) Denso Iridium Power spark plugs last weekend.

I installed a set of these in my Supercharged LX470 last weekend(yes, its the same plug as the RS6) and noticed that the stock gap is set to .035

I had to regap to .044 which involved using a gapping tool to bend that electrode open quite a bit. I didnt really like doing that.

So, question is who else have installed these Iridium plugs and did you like openig that gap up so much?

Lastly, please note that Iridium plugs are not recommended to be used more than 30,000 miles.

Dave

terrytcl
March 10th, 2009, 19:42
i didn't regap my ik20s... didn't want to risk damaging the electode or the center electrode by trying to regap. i just made sure that they were .044", which they were +/- .002"

terrytcl
March 10th, 2009, 19:43
ik20s are supposed to come from the factory gapped to .044" according to denso and were pretty close with my plugs

DHall1
March 10th, 2009, 21:25
That is a good point. I use one step colder plugs on LX470 because of the supercharger addition. So I was using IK22s. I will check the stock gap of IK20s.

ik20s are supposed to come from the factory gapped to .044" according to denso and were pretty close with my plugs

GEN XER
April 4th, 2009, 03:16
Why Denso over NGK? Iridium over Copper? They both last 30K, right? Don't they make Platinums for this car that will last longer?

GEN XER
April 5th, 2009, 16:46
Bump.......

terrytcl
April 6th, 2009, 15:22
i was using ik20s, but it seems like one of the plugs had a damaged electrode. i had misfire codes on cylinder 6. changed out those plugs for $2.50/each denso twin platinum plugs. the rs6 drives like it's on rocket fuel now. no misfires and much better...

becareful when running the very small electrode plugs. i must have damaged it during the install.

GEN XER
April 6th, 2009, 16:24
i was using ik20s, but it seems like one of the plugs had a damaged electrode. i had misfire codes on cylinder 6. changed out those plugs for $2.50/each denso twin platinum plugs. the rs6 drives like it's on rocket fuel now. no misfires and much better...

becareful when running the very small electrode plugs. i must have damaged it during the install.

Well you have to change your sinature to denso twin plats then. Well from what I know of the two metals iridium is from platinum family of metals but it is softer and more brittle. This is why I cant understand why now it is the spark plug of choice over platinum. Platinum plugs last longer because they can withstand higher heat and the metal is stonger and does not wear as fast as copper or iridium. I have misfires in cyliner 8 as I am unfamiliar with the RS6 I dont know if that is the driver or pax side of the engine but I hear a misfire on the drivers side. I am ordering new coil packs and plugs for her because I dont know if she has the upgraded coil packs or not.

terrytcl
April 6th, 2009, 17:02
hahahha

the way the engine cylinder number is

from the front facing the cabin

passenger side driver side
4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5

your #8 cylinder is closest to the master brake cylinder.

GEN XER
April 6th, 2009, 18:24
Thats pretty simple. So it is the one Im hearing misfire then. Where did you get those plugs for $2.50 each and are they PN 101-000-063ac?

terrytcl
April 6th, 2009, 22:38
PK20TT, part number 4504.

tried to get the pk22tt, but the sales guy there was like WTF?... i said nevermind...

advanced auto parts sells them. or you can find them on the internet.

compared these to the original ngks and they look the same if not better in design.

terrytcl
April 6th, 2009, 22:40
oh, you'll have to remove the intake box to get to #8.

if you don't have a back up vehicle, i would invest in the gaskets (maf to turbo inlet gasket)... these usually rip or fall out.

DHall1
April 6th, 2009, 22:43
Willie,

How can you hear a misfire? Are you getting a code?

Good thread. I will go with the plats

GEN XER
April 7th, 2009, 01:53
It sounds like a hollow tick up front when it misses and the exhaust does not come out smooth. I got a CEL for not having the gas cap on tight, but when we connected the VAG about two weeks ago we got a misfire in cyliner 8. I did not know were cylinder 8 was but I knew I had a misfire on the drivers side, now I know cylinder 8 is on the drivers side.