PDA

View Full Version : RNS-E and Satelite Radio...

Aronis
March 9th, 2009, 21:40
I was looking at an RNS-E upgrade and the website says it's compatible with Satelite radio but does not specify if this is the old module or some new module as I have read here.

Is there an upgrade to the RNS-E units that perhaps makes it work with the old Sat Radio Module?

Thanks,

Mike

DuckWingDuck
March 9th, 2009, 23:19
I don't think so, I've never came across anybody that's made the RNS-E module compatible with the old satellite radio module.

hahnmgh63
March 9th, 2009, 23:38
No, even Audi went to the new Module. It is the same part# but the suffix letter is different. It will turn on with the old module but you won't be able to change the channels, it will be stuck on whatever channel it was on before you put the RNS-E in the car.

Holiday
March 10th, 2009, 00:33
No, even Audi went to the new Module. It is the same part# but the suffix letter is different. It will turn on with the old module but you won't be able to change the channels, it will be stuck on whatever channel it was on before you put the RNS-E in the car.

Exactly. Just went through this with my fresh RSN-E/BT install. The XM module part # you'll need to pick up for the RSN-E is:
8E0 035 593 G per Lee Hicks.
Where you find the damn thing is beyond me- apparently the Audi dealership is the only place that has them; prepare to pay ~$400. If anyone has a better idea, do share...;)

hahnmgh63
March 10th, 2009, 01:01
Check Ebay for the module. I paid Audi price and damn the luck, I found a couple of them later on Ebay for a fraction of the price. It is the same unit found in other Audi cars with XM or Sirius which is just another different suffix of the same part #.

Aronis
March 10th, 2009, 17:21
Thanks very much.

I'd probably to the new module route, a couple hundred bucks is better than a hastle...but
the RSN-E was about $3500 when if first was available, now it's $1400 with all the parts to install.

I'll see after I pay my taxes....and buy new tires....LOL

Mike

hahnmgh63
March 10th, 2009, 17:51
Not too much that is going to go wrong with one.