PDA

View Full Version : My Baby got hit...pretty bad

AvusRS6
August 8th, 2003, 16:36
My RS6 was hit by some young 24 year old lady using her cell phone (or was trying to dial) when she ran into my driver's side front. Just about all my air bags deployed and the front of the car is a MESS. The motor looked like it was totally destroyed and the engine area looks like it got flattened in half. I did not get hurt, except for the bruise on my face (I think the airbag hit me pretty hard). My buddy is ok too. The young lady was not so lucky. She was taken away in an ambulance.

I had my car towed to a local body shop and just visual damage according to the shop guy is about $30K since he stated the motor is going to be so expensive.

I will try to take pictures of the car next week after the Insurace adjuster takes a look at it, then hopefully either get it "Totalled" since I don't like driving wrecked cars, or have it towed to an Audi dealer for closer and more precise estimates.

My goal is to hopefully get the other party's insurace to replace the car alltogether since this isn't a car you can just buy anytime.

Will keep you posted....

Sad day indeed! :(

RS6FEVR
August 8th, 2003, 16:45
Ohh man, Avus, I'm so sorry to hear this, but I'm so glad that you and your buddy are all right. What a terrible thing to have happen. :vsad2: :vsad2: :vsad2:

It does example that we really need to be keenly aware of what's going on around us when we're on the road. Sooo many distractions to ourselves and other drivers, it's a wonder that we get anywhere. I concur that you ought to try for "totalled". Can't imagine them being able #1 to get the parts for repair and #2 that it could be put back together as new.

again, so sorry, but hopes for equitable and fair recovery on all fronts.

:addict: FEVR :addict:

iconcls
August 8th, 2003, 16:46
Keep us posted.

jimmy94507
August 8th, 2003, 17:09
I'm sooo sorry to hear about your plight with the RS 6! I can't possibly imagine how I would feel?? I just drove my Avus Silver home last night and the thought of someone hitting it would be devestating. I hope you have a really good insurance company that will aid you in getting your car replaced!

Best regards, Jim

FitzRS6
August 8th, 2003, 17:24
Oh man, what a horrible thing to have happen. As ICONCLS said...at least you and your buddy are ok...thats the important thing. I hope the young lady will be ok also.

Bauer
August 8th, 2003, 17:47
Avus,

I am very sorry to hear that you got hit that really sucks. I am glad to hear that you and your friend are ok. I believe that if they have to replace the engine from what I have heard costs 35K to 40K plus all of the other damage you should be able to get it totaled. I will keep my fingers crossed and again sorry for your loss but happy to hear your ok.

Bauer

01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 orderd

Klint
August 8th, 2003, 17:49
Wow! Sorry to hear this, it's such a shame.

Any speed estimations from the crunch?....Your speed and the Lady's?

I hope everything works out fine, but it isn't exactly going to be stress free, so don't be expecting it to go that way.

I wish the best for the Lady and keep us posted about the happenings...

:cheers:

krm
August 8th, 2003, 19:37
AvusRS6, I second what has been said by other members. Hope everything works out to your satisfaction. Please keep us posted.

nene
August 8th, 2003, 19:52
That's just way too many bad news in the span of 24 hours.
Yesterday, I helped a friend of mine change the ECU on his S4. Before he could even enjoy the newly found power of his chip, a lady in a mini van plowed into his car's rear. Just awful.

Now AvusRS6 comes in with even worse news.
Really sorry to hear it friend.

Benman
August 8th, 2003, 21:10
AvusRS6,

a couple of questions and pointers. being at a collision repair shop i am familiar with insurance companies and their practices.

1st, which insurance co. do you have. 2nd, which does she have. depending on whose is better (perhaps yours) you'll be better using the better company rather than the company she has (only because she was at fault). this alone can save you ALOT of headaches.

3rd, it is almost critical that there IS engine damage for your car to be totaled. i know this is NOT what you want to hear but i believe you are owed the truth (as opposed to just tickling your ear). it is HIGHLY unlikely that they will total a $85,000.00 car if it only has @$30K- $40K worth of damage. there are exceptions (again depending on the insurance co.) but i wouldn't bet on it. the reason i say this is we have had several customers that WANTED their cars totaled but simply did not have the justifiable amount of damage.

4th, not to scare you even more but even if the parts are on a national back order (which means not available and with this car you better believe it!) and your car sits for over a month they will still not total it (the insurance co. states it is not their fault parts are not available for your vehicle!) in this case your best bet is to contact Audi N.A. and ask for rental reimbursement if there IS a delay with parts (and again i'm willing to bet there will be!).

again, i'm sorry for the bad news and i DO hope that it does work out for you but i at least want you to have some knowledge going in (and knowing is half the battle!).

please feel free to ask ANY questions if you have any.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

TheBrit
August 8th, 2003, 22:08
:vsad: :vsad: :vsad: :vsad: :vsad:

Sorry to hear about that, glad you are OK though. Hope you get things sorted soon.

jconley
August 9th, 2003, 02:15
Wow. Glad you are OK, but that is VERY unfortunate. I'm so sorry.

It makes the fact that someone stole my center caps last night not seem so significant.

J

srosie
August 9th, 2003, 02:20
Glad to hear you are: :0:

Cars can be replaced!

eph94
August 9th, 2003, 04:27
My brother just bought a brand new Chevy Avalanche. He was STOPPED in traffic on Mass. Rte. 495 and a lady rear-ended him, pushing him off into the shoulder, and then the lady rear-ended the car in front of him too!!! She was not paying attention...

Also learned tonight from a racquetball buddy that his wife was rear-ended, again stopped in traffic on Mass. Rte. 128, by a lady who was dialing on her cell phone.

One would think that being STOPPED in traffic would be fairly safe in terms of getting into a car accident.

It's not just cell phones, but people should NOT be allowed to talk on phones, eat, shave, pluck eyebrows, read books, or anything of the sort while behind the wheel of a car. I'm usually against government regulation and legislating common sense but these idiots my best stopped since they are infringing upon the safety of others. I don't care if they choose not to wear their seatbelts and get thrown out of their car, but they shouldn't be allowed to do something that is PROVEN to pose a danger for OTHER drivers on the road.

AvusRS6, glad to hear that you are fine....

avdh
August 9th, 2003, 11:13
So sorry to read what happened. I'm glad you and your friend are ok.

If the car is not going to be written off, make sure the panel shop is an Audi expert and approved by Audi of America.
I don't know how it works in the US but in SA the panel shop must Audi approved, otherwise the warranty falls away.

Keep us posted.

I agree, people talking on cell phone, specialy those without a car kit, are a constant threat to our safety.

Bauer
August 9th, 2003, 17:53
Its just not paying attention when you should, no matter what you are doing.......you should be driving when driving. I think that drivers license's are to easly handed out in the U.S.. When In Eurpoe I really notice the difference in the quality of drivers in most cases. From what I understand it is much more difficult and expensive to get a license's in Europe and that there are driving courses required be taken which are actual driving courses not the lame a*s things Americans take. Which is a kid driving around with some guy who seems totaly disintrested for 5 minutes and then saying pass or fail. Its total lame. Sorry just ranting.....:flamed:

Bauer
01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6

btumble
August 11th, 2003, 19:07
Avus - So glad to hear you and your friend were alright. Hope the young lady recovers. Sorry about the car :(

GoFastKindaGuy
August 12th, 2003, 00:03
I hope all gets better. Whew! Close one.

Now, root cause, although politically incorrect...

Our problem is the dumbing down of America to the lowest common talent. Slow equals bored. Bored breeds laziness, distraction and inattention. One cannot suck on a big mac or a cell phone at high speed. You would die. Great motivation in my book.

That is why it took the Germans so long to even comprehend cup holders for American buyers (My Porsche still doesn't have them.): they go fast; we go slow. Germans don't drink and go fast. No can do!

Furthermore, the cops will never admit that speed saves. Cops have a vested interest in slow motion. Speed limits generate revenue. Also, statistics show slower equals safer, but that's because we are not allowed to go fast enough for motoring to demand full attention from everyone. 10 MPH won't do it. If almost everyone drove over 100 mph, everyone would pay attention -- and drive better maintained cars.

Rant, rant.:argue: Sigh. It will never be so. And innocent will get smacked by the inattentive.

bilbozilla
August 12th, 2003, 01:05
Avus,

Glad you're OK. These inconveniences are sure a pain.

I'll try not to rant too much here, but I must echo the responses. German drivers pay attention to what's ahead of them, what's beside them, and certainly what's behind them. It just kills me to see policemen pull someone over for a 10MPH infraction (unless, of course, they were weaving lanes.) I once asked a rookie policeman at the gas station about why more tickets aren't given out to people who pass on the right. His response, was "Why would we do that?" Well, the fact that it's illegal and unsafe would be a start...

Different mentalities. Maybe we'll see some more support from the auto manufacturers now that we've got some serious horsepower wars on the way. Oops, wishful thinking.

Mr. Fru-T Pants
August 12th, 2003, 17:16
I agree with most of what you said, bilbozilla. But the following quotation(although I agree in principle), I had trouble with.

"I once asked a rookie policeman at the gas station about why more tickets aren't given out to people who pass on the right. His response, was "Why would we do that?" Well, the fact that it's illegal and unsafe would be a start..."

I mean, let's face it. Trying to compare U.S. highways to German autoroutes is like comparing Janet Reno to Heidi Klum. Not even in the same ballpark... And I know you weren't specifically making that analogy, but if you are going to fault people for passing on the right(a tort of which I must admit, I'm more than occasionally guilty), I think, at least in part, you have to fault people for riding the left lane as being responsible for illegal passing. Sure, there are folks who are simply impatient and are often dangerous in their actions when they pass. There are also those who would risk the safety of others on the road just to maintain their groundspeed. That's a given. So your point is taken.

But until we make it illegal to impede the flow of traffic by constantly travelling 60-65 in the passing lane in a 70 mph zone, I don't think you can fault folks for wanting to pass on the right TOO much. In Germany, and other parts of Europe, you see this MUCH less, since you can easily be ticketed for the aforementioned offense. You might get a glare from an officer or a stern look over here, simply put. Across the pond, someone in a fast moving vehicle is likely to pull you over and put a foot up you a$$. Just my $.02...

Fru-T

bilbozilla
August 12th, 2003, 18:23
Mr. Fru-T Pants - I totally agree. You bring up a key point in your post - impeding the flow of traffic. This, I feel, is the most serious problem in traffic today. If it didn't exist, you would see less road-rage and much fewer accidents. As far as speed limits are concerned, my first 2 years of college were in civil engineering, and in my highways class, I learned that the speed limits are calculated for the safe travel of fully laden semi trucks.
So often when someone is on the receiving end of a horn blast, they take it as a personal offense. It's nothing personal, it's just a reminder that they're not paying attention to condtions, so wake up.
Thanks for your input, FTP.

Mr. Fru-T Pants
August 12th, 2003, 18:49
:cheers:

"FTP"...(chuckle)

Interesting tidbit on the semi-induced speed limits. Didn't know that one.

Peace out,
FTP

Finnus
August 13th, 2003, 12:43
I agree with the "putzes" in the left hand lane. I drove to NJ in my S4 yesterday and it was unbearable it times.

I think someone should build a North Amercian Autobahn - in the US or Canada - and charge a pretty hefty toll to get an "unlimited speed pass"!

It would be great to have a highway here where you could go and drive legally at unlimited speeds!

Dream on ...

Finnus

bilbozilla
August 13th, 2003, 15:33
Let's see, we already pay $5.00 to cross the Golden Gate Bridge, speed limit 45 MPH, and over 1.5 miles. Disneyland is $30+ dollars for a day, but lots of lines. A high speed auto (route, bahn, strada ...) is something I think 3/4 of the population would pay for. The DMV would also have to be far less forgiving and much more detailed when issuing drivers licenses. I know how far I must park behind a fire engine, but I have yet been given the opportunity...