PDA

View Full Version : EBC Red Stuff + OEM Rotors Installed...SQUEEEEEK

Holiday
March 9th, 2009, 06:49
Well,

My stock rotors and pads were worn, and about to drive me insane with the amount of squeek they made when coming to a stop. That said, I replaced them with brand new OEM rotors and EBC Red Stuff pads on all 4 corners.
The results? FAR less brake dust, but nearly twice as much noise as I had before I installed them!! It's almost too embarassing to drive.
Have any of you with this setup experienced this with new rotors/pads? Is the noise simply a function of break in, or do you suppose there's another issue?

Thanks for the help!!!

Ross

Erik
March 9th, 2009, 08:28
A lot of noise = Racing :D

GEN XER
March 9th, 2009, 12:12
Try this first.
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Performance brakes do make more noise though. Just part of the experience. When they make noise though just perform this process and the noise should stop.

DHall1
March 9th, 2009, 14:01
+1 on this procedure.

The performance of the EBC reds have been great. There is none of the grinding of the stock Pagid pads and just alittle high pitched "squeek" upon light braking in city traffic. None of that nasty grinding like from the Pagids.

Let us know how it does after the bed in process

Try this first.
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Performance brakes do make more noise though. Just part of the experience. When they make noise though just perform this process and the noise should stop.

LIRS6
March 9th, 2009, 15:39
I installed EBC "reds" last week, had some mild squeaking just when near complete stop, but has since faded away. I did throw in an extra bedding procedure just to be sure, which may be the reason why the squeal is basically gone. Fyi this was on top of new rotors also. Fwiw, I think they're great at stopping, I will be interested to see how long they last.

V8weight
March 9th, 2009, 22:34
I had quite a bit of squeaking after I initially installed mine, even after their recommended 40mph bed in procedure. I'm embarrassed to say this, but after a 160mph-80mph application of the brakes, they are whisper quiet, and no longer produce any dust.

SAF
March 9th, 2009, 22:44
RedStuff on new rotors here as well, and I haven't heard a peep. Dust is waaay down.

Holiday
March 9th, 2009, 23:36
Thanks for all of the replies/input. The squeeking I experienced was outrageous- scary loud. Think of a Greyhound bus coming to a stop and multiply that noise level times two or three; it was that loud- not an exageration!
I did a modified version of the above posted "break-in" procedure (Don't have the necessary wide open road here in downtown San Diego to do 8x 60mph runs, but got several in). Although I still have the squeek when coming to a stop, it is MUCH less than before. Thanks for that advice! I'm going to make a short trip this afternoon in search of long back roads to do the full procedure again; hopefully with even more positive results.
After using these pads for the past weekend, I've noticed performance equal to the stock pads (at least for street use) and MUCH, MUCH less brake dust. This alone is worth the price of admission if you ask me.:D

On an unrelated side note, my car's alternator bit the dust today and left me stranded. Thankfully I was 200yds from a Hertz! Should be a day or two in the shop waiting on the part. Even with the issues, I absolutely love this car. :love2:

DuckWingDuck
March 10th, 2009, 00:38
Holiday, hey, got Ben's message, I'm currently in Puerto Rico at the moment on business but should be home around the beginning of April, let's try to meet up sometime then.

hahnmgh63
March 10th, 2009, 00:59
I can't believe they would be that loud with the EBC's unless something was out of alignment or something. Can you recheck the install and do a little inspection.

Holiday
March 10th, 2009, 05:59
I can't believe they would be that loud with the EBC's unless something was out of alignment or something. Can you recheck the install and do a little inspection.

I agree- it was abnormal how loud they were. I had a reputable shop install them, and having done the job myself on different cars- I know how straight forward the work is. Even so, the one variable that concerns me is the requirement to cut away the center section of the EBC's to make them fit. That's the only non-standard practice with this install, and therefore the only probable thing I can come up with as to what might be wrong. I'm short on time this week, or else I'd inspect them myself. If it that db of sound returns I'm going to return it to the shop for a re-evaluation this week.

Greg- I'd love to meet up man but I have orders that require me to leave San Diego for a year- starting this weekend! It's Iraq (deuce) for me...sprung on me at the last minute! This RS6 is going to bed for a while in a nice, cozy storage facility....just as soon as my alternator is replaced!

GEN XER
March 10th, 2009, 14:21
I agree- it was abnormal how loud they were. I had a reputable shop install them, and having done the job myself on different cars- I know how straight forward the work is. Even so, the one variable that concerns me is the requirement to cut away the center section of the EBC's to make them fit. That's the only non-standard practice with this install, and therefore the only probable thing I can come up with as to what might be wrong. I'm short on time this week, or else I'd inspect them myself. If it that db of sound returns I'm going to return it to the shop for a re-evaluation this week.

Greg- I'd love to meet up man but I have orders that require me to leave San Diego for a year- starting this weekend! It's Iraq (deuce) for me...sprung on me at the last minute! This RS6 is going to bed for a while in a nice, cozy storage facility....just as soon as my alternator is replaced!

Dont you just hate when they do that. They did me the same way. I came home and 90 days later a "hey you" :deal: and I was back over in the sand box. I got 20 years now and I retire this year, and I cant wait.:cheers: Be easy over there, kich some ass and come on back home, HOOAAH or SEMPER FI or whatever the Navy and Air Force says. LOL!

Rad-RS6
July 25th, 2009, 02:09
Well,

My stock rotors and pads were worn, and about to drive me insane with the amount of squeak they made when coming to a stop. That said, I replaced them with brand new OEM rotors and EBC Red Stuff pads on all 4 corners.
The results? FAR less brake dust, but nearly twice as much noise as I had before I installed them!! It's almost too embarassing to drive.
Have any of you with this setup experienced this with new rotors/pads? Is the noise simply a function of break in, or do you suppose there's another issue?

Thanks for the help!!!Ross

This is exactly what I am experiencing after recent front install (EBC red stuff + new OEM rotors). I have no doubt the installation was correct as an Audi tech with tons of experience (who did all the RS6 specific training) did the install. I will have to do some more bedding and try again, else time to try another pad, since the squeal is unbearable

V8weight
July 25th, 2009, 03:09
This is exactly what I am experiencing after recent front install (EBC red stuff + new OEM rotors). I have no doubt the installation was correct as an Audi tech with tons of experience (who did all the RS6 specific training) did the install. I will have to do some more bedding and try again, else time to try another pad, since the squeal is unbearable
Wait a minute, another MN RS6 owner? Where are you from specifically? What color car? Who did the pad install, Imola?

Rad-RS6
July 25th, 2009, 15:12
You may know me as Art on MNAudi .... Yes Imola did the install. I plan on beating them some today to help bedding procedure. She is Avus Silver with black interior

V8weight
July 25th, 2009, 15:48
You may know me as Art on MNAudi .... Yes Imola did the install. I plan on beating them some today to help bedding procedure. She is Avus Silver with black interior
Oh, Ok, I believe we've chatted before then. I've been running the redstuff pads for about 8 months now. Just stick with it, you'll love them. Mine were noisy for 2 weeks if I remember correctly.

mmaturo
July 26th, 2009, 05:26
As stated before but I will repeat...I did mine the same time V8 did and actually on worn grooved rotors and they are fine...no squeak at all after first week.

BenA
July 27th, 2009, 21:32
I was lodging this same complaint (unbearable noise from the Reds post-install) several weeks ago in a separate thread...

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18599

You can go there for more reassurance and bed-in procedures. Mine were FINALLY quiet after about 3 weeks or so and 3-4 bed-in passes. It makes for an embarrassing 3 weeks when your beast sounds like a city bus... but all is well now (knock on wood).

Rad-RS6
August 27th, 2009, 03:10
update, the brakes are now essentially silent. you guys we re all right on the money

mmaturo
August 27th, 2009, 06:18
update, the brakes are now essentially silent. you guys we re all right on the money

: ) Patience pays and silence is golden. All summer on mine (which means they have had good workouts) and not a peep. Same on past ebc yellows. Will continue to order them.