PDA

View Full Version : Audi UK/Europe DRC response

Marv
March 4th, 2009, 09:52
I just spoke to a very polite but disinterested bloke at Audi UK customer services regarding any Audi UK/Europe policy on DRC. The policy is that there is no policy.

I asked him about the 'improved shock absorbers' mentioned in the AoA customer letter and he said that there was no such technical update in the UK (they get info direct from Germany). He also said that there was no specific goodwill policy for DRC fixes in the UK for cars out of warranty.

He also told me that AoA are a completely separate entity from Audi Europe and whatever policy thay have would not necessarily be reflected in Europe.

Does anyone in-the-know (Qisha et al) have any information regarding whether Audi Europe will also adopt the DRC upgrade policy (or something similar) that AoA have just announced.

I'm just in the process of ordering a new S4 avant and in the last few weeks my RS6 is showing worsening DRC problems. I've got the clunking noises in the boot and now whenever I come down over a speed bump the car rocks diagonally front left to back right. My DRC was replaced 3 years ago under the OEM warranty but now he car is out of warranty.

The timing cound not be any worse - I can't sell the RS6 with broken DRC and if I spend to fix it and then sell it it feels like I'm chucking money down the drain if Audi UK will eventually come up with a 'proper' fix. If I put a new aftermarket system on then I can't sell it back through the Audi dealer network, but if I pay for repairs to the existing system who's to say it won't fail again in 6 months. Very frustrating.

Incidentally does anyone know the relative costs of a dealer repair to the existing DRC vs a new aftermarket system - this would really help me in deciding what my best option is.

Thanks

Marv

DHall1
March 4th, 2009, 15:29
This is really sad. I have said over and over there are really a couple of very specific reasons why Audi have done what they have done in US.

1. Audi sees a chance for additional market share in the US. Sell more cars.
2. Fidelity insurance is backed by Audi. All these 6000 dollar DRC claims are hitting the bottom line.

For years, the US RS6 owners were getting the middle finger until numbers 1 and 2 starting to raise thier ugly heads.

Is there a chance the UK will come around. ?? I doubt it.

I just spoke to a very polite but disinterested bloke at Audi UK customer services regarding any Audi UK/Europe policy on DRC. The policy is that there is no policy.

I asked him about the 'improved shock absorbers' mentioned in the AoA customer letter and he said that there was no such technical update in the UK (they get info direct from Germany). He also said that there was no specific goodwill policy for DRC fixes in the UK for cars out of warranty.

He also told me that AoA are a completely separate entity from Audi Europe and whatever policy thay have would not necessarily be reflected in Europe.

Does anyone in-the-know (Qisha et al) have any information regarding whether Audi Europe will also adopt the DRC upgrade policy (or something similar) that AoA have just announced.

I'm just in the process of ordering a new S4 avant and in the last few weeks my RS6 is showing worsening DRC problems. I've got the clunking noises in the boot and now whenever I come down over a speed bump the car rocks diagonally front left to back right. My DRC was replaced 3 years ago under the OEM warranty but now he car is out of warranty.

The timing cound not be any worse - I can't sell the RS6 with broken DRC and if I spend to fix it and then sell it it feels like I'm chucking money down the drain if Audi UK will eventually come up with a 'proper' fix. If I put a new aftermarket system on then I can't sell it back through the Audi dealer network, but if I pay for repairs to the existing system who's to say it won't fail again in 6 months. Very frustrating.

Incidentally does anyone know the relative costs of a dealer repair to the existing DRC vs a new aftermarket system - this would really help me in deciding what my best option is.

Thanks

Marv

DuckWingDuck
March 4th, 2009, 15:32
dave, agree with most everything exception pt 2, you've got it around, fidelity is covering audi, not the other way around, so the fact that audi won't cover the drc in the cpo probably means more pressure on fidelity to fund the repair. And because fidelity is the ultimate underwriter for audi platinum care (sold not just on the rs6), this car is costing fidelity a lot of money and they probably exerted pressure on audi as well.

DHall1
March 4th, 2009, 15:38
Greg,

I actually have some inside information on that topic.

Fidelity is just the admin for these Policies. Audi is the money behind the coverage.

It all makes more sense now.

dave, agree with most everything exception pt 2, you've got it around, fidelity is covering audi, not the other way around, so the fact that audi won't cover the drc in the cpo probably means more pressure on fidelity to fund the repair. And because fidelity is the ultimate underwriter for audi platinum care (sold not just on the rs6), this car is costing fidelity a lot of money and they probably exerted pressure on audi as well.

Hy Octane
March 4th, 2009, 19:28
I believe it will be extremely hard for Audi Europe to defend the rioting in the streets that will ensue for not assisting our Euro bretren after they get wind of the fact that they are replacing 1500 DRC systems here but not even a cookie there. Funny thing.. I dont seem to hear much about DRC failures from owners in Germany.

DHall1
March 4th, 2009, 20:09
We may not have a large group of Germany folks.

As for the UK folks....they are quite noisy about this topic over on RS246.com and Grizz has them all taken care of.

We dont have Grizz over here.

I think we all migrate to the forum with the greatest number of units in our respective areas. Makes more sense....I think.

I believe it will be extremely hard for Audi Europe to defend the rioting in the streets that will ensue for not assisting our Euro bretren after they get wind of the fact that they are replacing 1500 DRC systems here but not even a cookie there. Funny thing.. I dont seem to hear much about DRC failures from owners in Germany.

Marv
March 4th, 2009, 22:55
We may not have a large group of Germany folks.

As for the UK folks....they are quite noisy about this topic over on RS246.com and Grizz has them all taken care of.

We dont have Grizz over here.

I think we all migrate to the forum with the greatest number of units in our respective areas. Makes more sense....I think.

That's a good call - I used to follow rs246.com but haven't visited for a while.

SAF
March 4th, 2009, 23:18
Or maybe the US, CA and UK folks are visiting an English language BB and the Germans who aren't multilingual aren't. ;)

Qisha
March 5th, 2009, 06:55
Dear Marv,

at the moment there is no "revaluation" program for the rest of the world.

I would recommend to ask for a goodwill arrangement through your dealer straight towards the Audi Headquarters Germany. As there are no origin Shocks left for replacement, all future repairs will be conducted with the improved version. I would assume a part supply by factory exchange.

Since your DRC has already been fixed ones and failed again, your dealer should be able to provide all informations needed to Audi.

I am sorry for not beeing able to share better news on this but i will keep an eye on it.

Qisha

gjg
March 7th, 2009, 20:24

Thanks

Marv

Marv, I have 2003 RS6 Avant and RS6+ (#306). On RS6 the shocks failed twice, all I got from Audi Importer and Audi was f-off response and straight out denial of any similar problems on other vehicles. Oh, and hefty invoice second time which we took almost to court before they accepted the fact the shocks failed less than a year since the repair was done......

The + with 100+k KM on tach had no problems to date.

DHall1
March 7th, 2009, 20:40
Yep, I just get that loving feeling from Audi when stories like this get told.

An owner with not 1 but 2 RS6s.

I would have had KWs on my car faster that you could say. FU to Audi. No wonder Grizz has such a big business in the UK.

Wow

Marv, I have 2003 RS6 Avant and RS6+ (#306). On RS6 the shocks failed twice, all I got from Audi Importer and Audi was f-off response and straight out denial of any similar problems on other vehicles. Oh, and hefty invoice second time which we took almost to court before they accepted the fact the shocks failed less than a year since the repair was done......

Aronis
March 9th, 2009, 22:02
It's all about the numbers, US 1400 cars, 1400 potential new customers for upscale Audi.
All of Europe ?Total? Individual Countries Totals? Perhaps as EU there would be enough of a group to entise Audi to anti up.

Mike

Marv
March 11th, 2009, 19:03
Dear Marv,

at the moment there is no "revaluation" program for the rest of the world.

I would recommend to ask for a goodwill arrangement through your dealer straight towards the Audi Headquarters Germany. As there are no origin Shocks left for replacement, all future repairs will be conducted with the improved version. I would assume a part supply by factory exchange.

Since your DRC has already been fixed ones and failed again, your dealer should be able to provide all informations needed to Audi.

I am sorry for not beeing able to share better news on this but i will keep an eye on it.

Qisha

Thanks Qisha

The big question is whether the 'improved' version is really improved or whether it will continue to fail. It's too early to tell but I need to make a decision now. My feeling is to replace with KWs at ~ half the price of the Audi system.

Marv
March 11th, 2009, 19:08

The + cars came later on in the production cycle - did they have an updated system or have you just been lucky I wonder?

DHall1
March 11th, 2009, 20:59
I say lucky. Its hit or miss when you start leaking. More hit then miss.

I would go the KW route and save your old shocks. Need to have the car safe on the roads. Audi may come around and offer this to euro folks. I doubt it....but they could some day. If I didnt cover my exposure to this deal and had no warranty coverage....I would go KW in a heart beat. No way would I pay 6000 for any DRC....I dont care if the seals were made of gold.

Thats all moot because I have covered this exposure with Fidelity coverage till 2014 and 100,000 miles.

The + cars came later on in the production cycle - did they have an updated system or have you just been lucky I wonder?

SR71
March 11th, 2009, 21:56
Gentlemen,

I run a Euro spec B7 RS4 here in the UK.

You probably know that the DRC on these cars has been failing miserably, all the more upsetting bearing in mind the issue first started appearing with the first evolution of the system in the C5 RS6.

I have a letter from the Head of Audi UK (as do many other UK owners) that the DRC is now warrantied out to 5 years or 75K miles.

Thats what we have managed to achieve by lobbying through RS246.com.

Having said that, it does not appear that Audi have necessarily disseminated this information throughout their dealer network as some dealers claim to know nothing about the matter.

What a surprise.

FWIW.

DHall1
March 11th, 2009, 22:20
Thank you for that update. Its nice to see some movement for the RS4 group.

We have some things in the works here in the US for the RS6 but time will tell if the same holds true in the UK or EU for that same car.

Good stuff

Gentlemen,

You probably know that the DRC on these cars has been failing miserably, all the more upsetting bearing in mind the issue first started appearing with the first evolution of the system in the C5 RS6.

I have a letter from the Head of Audi UK (as do many other UK owners) that the DRC is now warrantied out to 5 years or 75K miles.

Having said that, it does not appear that Audi have necessarily disseminated this information throughout their dealer network as some dealers claim to know nothing about the matter.

What a surprise.

FWIW.

SAF
March 11th, 2009, 23:01
So the Euro cars get a 5yr/75k warranty to just keep replacing the failed parts with similar parts, and after 5+ years of bullshit and no coverage under CPO, we get a measly 12mo/12k on newly designed parts?

Would someone please tell me why I keep buying into the Audi brand? I must be stupid.

DHall1
March 11th, 2009, 23:25
Nope, thats not stupid....thats the definition of an idiot.

:cheers:

Join the club.

Actually our 12/12 is not that bad considering our cars are over 5yrs already.

I got Audi's number and pinned em with a Fidelity plan going out to 2014 and 100k miles. I have 28k right now. Audi=Fidelity. Its Audi's money behind it.

So the Euro cars get a 5yr/75k warranty to just keep replacing the failed parts with similar parts, and after 5+ years of bullshit and no coverage under CPO, we get a measly 12mo/12k on newly designed parts?

Would someone please tell me why I keep buying into the Audi brand? I must be stupid.

SAF
March 11th, 2009, 23:38
Nope, thats not stupid....thats the definition of an idiot.

:cheers:

Join the club.

LOL, I'm in a club that would have people like me as members...thanks, I feel better now. :doh:

Marv
March 12th, 2009, 07:59
Gentlemen,

What a surprise.

FWIW.

Presumably this only applies to the RS4 and not the C5 RS6? I guess it's all academic anyway - my RS6 is 6 years old this month.

Marv

gjg
March 12th, 2009, 11:29

I do not know if the + has updated system or not, there is some pressure loss anyway, after about 3 years and 75 k the dealer (with capable staff) presurized the sytem to the specs.....

I'd say luck. I do not drive the + during winter when there is a salt on, the other rs6 is driven around the clock, and we have salt for 3-5 months a year ....