PDA

View Full Version : Traded Porsche Turbo for RS6

Bluehinder
August 7th, 2003, 22:02
Hi,

Just to add input to a nice civilized board, I just traded my 2001 TT for a new RS6. Daytona/ebony, nav, carbon fiber, and exhaust. What a wonderful car.

I liked the TT but needed more space to carry golf clubs, and needed to stop taking my wifes Allroad all winter. This fits the bill perfectly.

The suspension, brakes and overall power are all so nicely integrated into a four door sedan that it is the perfect daily driver. It is only slightly slower than the TT, and way nicer as a daily driver. I pair it with a 2003 911 Cab for what I feel is the perfect combo. I couldn't be happier.

As an aside, it is refreshing to drive around without all the gawking and attention that the TT brought. It got old, parking was a problem, and I could barely carry a set of clubs. Now I can take three friends and their sticks.

My only beef is the stupid battery in the trunk, which takes up useful space. The nav is a little lame, but everything else is wonderful. Had an M5 before the TT, and like this alot more.

Blue

RS6FEVR
August 7th, 2003, 22:11
:cheers: Bluehinder

Congrats on the trade for the new RS6 and welcome to the forum. :) :) :)

Very nice that this new machine fits "your" bill so well and I'm hoping mine will do the same. I'm expecting next week as the dealer said the car's on the lory somwhere between Houston and Chicago. I also thought that battery position could have been better (good that it's in the back, but really, couldn't some space have been found out of the main area?) but it seems that the compact nature of the car required other considerations. :eek: :eek:

There have been some daytona photo's posted, but more would not be too much :D :D

Look forward to further reviews as you break it in!!

:addict: FEVR :addict:

peterb
August 7th, 2003, 22:56
Originally posted by Bluehinder
It is only slightly slower than the TT
Wow - that must have been some TT! What mods did it have?

Bluehinder
August 7th, 2003, 23:23
Hi,

The TT was stock with 18" wheels. I may have drawn the wrong interpretation from your question, but if you are under the impression that the RS6 is faster than a TT, you are wrong. The TT is a 3.9 sec 0-60 car, RS6 is 4.3, best times on both. Twisty roads need no comment.

They are both stupid fast, enough so, that the numerous other benefits of the RS6, easily outweigh the TT attributes for me. I say "for me", because several of my friends think I lost my mind.

Best, Blue

iconcls
August 7th, 2003, 23:45

bilbozilla
August 8th, 2003, 00:17
Bluehinder, you're not in Northern California, are you? There's a Daytona RS6 that was being prepped here, and I'm dying to find out who it belongs to.

krm
August 8th, 2003, 00:35
Congratulations on your RS6 acquisition, Blue. Great taste of cars! As an avid M5 enthusiast as well as an RS6 enthusiast, just curious to know what you liked better in the RS6?

Benman
August 8th, 2003, 02:39
welcome to the forum and congrats:cheers:

Ben:addict:

avdh
August 8th, 2003, 07:52
Congrats.

For a while I also thought you were referring to an Audi TT:confused:

Of course a manual 996 Turbo, should be faster than the RS6.

steve
August 8th, 2003, 09:55
Originally posted by Bluehinder

I liked the TT but needed more space to carry golf clubs...

Blue

Congrats with your RS6 !!

Ps: what is your handicap ?:D I'm 6 for the moment:)

greetings,

Steve

peterb
August 8th, 2003, 11:28
Originally posted by iconcls
I was indeed thinking of Audi TT. I've never come across a Porsche called a TT.:blush:

steve
August 8th, 2003, 11:46
Oh it could have been the Turbo... sometimes they call it the TT (twin turbo):)

nene
August 8th, 2003, 15:49
I find it really funny that most people don't realize that the 911 Turbo is also known as 911 TT. I knew exactly what you were talking about 'Blue', and I find it very cool that you actually went with the 911 TT as your trade in.

Both cars would be great to have, assuming one can afford it. Nuts I would not say you are, due to the change in cars. Sometimes you have to prioritize, and I don't think that the change is really that bad.

I've always chosen sedans as my main cars. I love sports cars though, but my stable right now is filled with sedans. I should do something about that.

Glad you love the RS6, as this makes you cope with the change in car much easier to deal with. Lots of continued enjoyment will proceed.

It's a great addition to this forum to have you, since you've owned M5, 911 TT, and now an RS6. Looking forward on some quick write ups on your experiences.

TheBrit
August 8th, 2003, 16:04
Originally posted by nene
Looking forward on some quick write ups on your experiences.
I agree, it would be nice to hear how the RS 6 feels having come from an M5 and the Turbo, as I'm a commited Audiholic and don't have much other frame of reference! :D

Chris.

andyp
August 9th, 2003, 05:07
My friend has a 993 Turbo. I showed him my RS6 the other day and left him muttering "I've got to get me one of these ..." The Porsche is a great car but my friend is thinking that the RS6 is a lot more practical and maybe a better fit for him, as it is for me.

Personally, I've always been interested in the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing super sedan ... from the Lotus Calton to the BMW M5.

I had a 2000 M5 for three years and in summary, I would compare as follows:

Ride: RS6=10, M5=10 ... both have an incredibly good balance between performance and comfort.

Seats: RS6=10, M5=9

Handling: RS6=10, M5=9 ... M5 understeers ealier than the RS6

Steering: RS6=10, M5=10 (in sport mode) ... love it in both cars

Brakes: RS6=10, M5=8 ... the stopping differences aren't so different (at least 60-0, RS6 has better 80-0), but the RS6 pedal feel inspires much more confidence ... more like the E36 M3.

Performance: RS6=10, M5=9 ... I like the more instantaneous response of the M5 but the turbo character of the RS6 is growing on me. The M5 can't touch the RS6 in the traffic light grand prix.

Transmission: RS6=9, M5=10 ... can't beat teh M5's 6-speed manual. However, the manual mode of the RS6's tiptronic does such a good job that it partially compensates for the lack of a manual transmission.

Paint: RS6=10, M5=9 ... RS6's looks perfect ... BMW's have an "orange peel" effect ... not liek a bad paint job but if you look closely they have a dimpled effect. I like the sleek, glass-like finish of the Audi's paint. My M5 was also delivered with a few swirl marks that I didn't get on the Audi.

Audio: RS6=9, M5=10 ... personal opinion.

Nav: RS6=9, M5=9 ... RS6 doesn't have as good a display (understatement!) ... M5 is painfully slow to recalculate (at least the 2000 model was).

Cup holders: RS6=10, M5=8 ... a sharp left curve in the M5 could leave the passenger seat covered with coffee.

Interior: RS6=10, M5=9 ... a lot of similarities but the Audi has the edge in quality. The titanium trim in the M5 turned out to be coated plastic and the coating would start to chip off ... one guy had his gear lever knob replaced seven times. I had my center console trim replaced.

Driving experience: RS6=10, M5=9 ... the RS6's enhanced exhaust has a beautiful sound and helps you to be more involved in what is happening ... the M5 was just too quiet! Both are awesome sedans and hard to fault.

Andy

eph94
August 9th, 2003, 05:54
Great comparo!!! Thanks! The more I read about the RS6 from previous/current BMW E39 drivers, the more certain I become that I have made the right decision. I've been stuck on Milestone 5 for over 2 weeks now!!

krm
August 9th, 2003, 06:57
Great comparison, Andy. As per the cupholder test, I admire you for having the guts to test that one out in the RS6. I just test drove the Cayenne Turbo today (talk about a driver's SUV if there is such a thing) and can just imagine how much more fun it would be if I were driving an RS6 though! Glad to read that you are enjoying the car.

You definitely should join some of the M5 crew on the NY meet next saturday. I will send you an email in the next couple days with the details. Hope you can make it!

avdh
August 9th, 2003, 11:04
Very interesting and informative comparo Andy.
Thanks.

TheBrit
August 9th, 2003, 12:06
Thanks Andy, interesting to read. Before the RS 6, who'd have thought a Porsche owner would think about swapping for an Audi?...

btumble
August 11th, 2003, 18:49
Andy - also traded in a Porsche for my RS6, a '94 C4 widebody. More of a 'classic car' than your TT but it was just gathering too much dust in the garage. Seems that with the RS6 I can get my porsche driving type fun daily and still fit the stroller (and the clubs) in the trunk.

I just test drove the Cayenne Turbo today (talk about a driver's SUV if there is such a thing) and can just imagine how much more fun it would be if I were driving an RS6 though! The Cayenne turbo was my other choice but the cargo room increase was not enough for me to pass on the RS6. Never took a test drive in a turbo though, glad to hear I made the right choice

krm
August 11th, 2003, 22:11
Originally posted by btumble

The Cayenne turbo was my other choice but the cargo room increase was not enough for me to pass on the RS6. Never took a test drive in a turbo though, glad to hear I made the right choice

btumble, I think you have made the right choice. As great as the Cayenne Turbo was, I cannot get past the thought that I was still driving a truck while I was behind the wheel (seating position, ride height, etc.). For a truck however, the Cayenne Turbo handled superbly, staying tight and flat across the curves with the aid of the air suspension (PASM) on the short autocross and it even managed to oversteer on command when coming out of a decreasing radius turn - fun to say the least! :incar: The accelerative and braking force was amazing for a 5000+ lb vehicle. The turbos kick in around 3k rpm and the truck just goes into warp mode; brembo brakes helped to stop the behomoth on a dime.

I have not driven an RS6 before. With similar output (just less torque) and lighter weight, I am not surprise that the RS6 will be a blast to drive. Good choice!