March 3rd, 2009, 04:11
Justin,

PM me at

dhall1 @ vzw.blackberry.net

About your claim. Did it go ok?

I received this in the mail today...

Yellow RS6
March 3rd, 2009, 13:27
I got my letter yesterday too! This is a big relief for me. I just bought my car in November, then learned CPO doesn't cover all of DRC should it fail, and was freaking out. But I'm really happy for you "old-timers". Guys that have had your car since new or for a few years and have gone through all the repairs, headaches, and roller coaster of emotions about Audi fixing the issue. I understand the lack of excitment when Rob started this a couple months ago, but it's finally official!

Erik
March 3rd, 2009, 14:59
I'm happy to see that Audi is taking care of things.

Fonzie Audi
March 3rd, 2009, 15:06
where do i get the form for reimbursement?

Yellow RS6
March 3rd, 2009, 15:09
It should have come with the letter.

nyrs6
March 3rd, 2009, 15:41
It was a must from Audi since the RS6 crowd is the potential owners of future models like the RS4, R8 V10 and so on. They lose those customers, they lose all their chances of selling those cars.

Great Job Audi :rs4addict:addict::R8::S8:

GEN XER
March 3rd, 2009, 21:05
It was a must from Audi since the RS6 crowd is the potential owners of future models like the RS4, R8 V10 and so on. They lose those customers, they lose all their chances of selling those cars.

Great Job Audi :rs4addict:addict::R8::S8:

MMMMM S8 Bring me that one. I told myself I would never pay 100k for a car, and I wont but I would wait for a used one. When me and my wife saw it in the movie, Taken, I could not keep myself from going back to that chase scene on the DVD. My wife even liked that car. She did not like me going back to that scene so much though.:rolleyes:

dahbo
March 4th, 2009, 02:07
Intersting

So i take it that the cars with aftermarket replacement systems are unqualified for the replacement shocks.

DuckWingDuck
March 4th, 2009, 02:31
you can bet on that.

GEN XER
March 4th, 2009, 03:28
S8
http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2009-audi-s8/4505-10865_7-33512962.html?tag=mncol;txt

mmaturo
March 4th, 2009, 05:29
I got my letter yesterday too! This is a big relief for me. I just bought my car in November, then learned CPO doesn't cover all of DRC should it fail, and was freaking out. But I'm really happy for you "old-timers". Guys that have had your car since new or for a few years and have gone through all the repairs, headaches, and roller coaster of emotions about Audi fixing the issue. I understand the lack of excitment when Rob started this a couple months ago, but it's finally official!

hope i get the letter in the next day or two, wtf...guess you answer my question on Audiworld if it was original owners getting the letters first but you are the 'last one in' so crap on me... after 3 1/2 years and only second owner...i'm waiting Audi.

hahnmgh63
March 4th, 2009, 06:13
I'm the second owner of my car and way over here in Washington state (out in the country) and I just received my letter today. Still wondering how they are going to re-imburse me for the KW's, which are probably still better than the DRC ever was but since I'm not sure my DRC was ever 100% I'm willing to give the DRC a try, if not I can always go back the the KW's easily as they use all of the stock upper shock mounts. I was about to remove all of the DRC piping and central valves to get rid of un-necessary weight when all of this began, I'm glad I didn't. I wonder if Audi would have dealers re-install all of this new for those that may have removed the old junk? I guess we still have to wait and see?

DHall1
March 4th, 2009, 06:19
Audi is upside down on your car already. I think they lost your letter.

:argue:

BTW, I think this weekends ride in the Santa Monica mts has blown the DRC. Count me in on this deal. Finally. Drive the car as its designed and come home with leaking struts. Great. All 4 corners are "soft"...I will check it next weekend. EBC Reds worked perfectly with very little dusting and no grinding at all. Pads were bedded in before the run and they are wearing nice and even on all 4 corners. Best 173 dollars I have ever spent.

Fidelity....hello.....Fidelity, I have a claim or two. :deal:

hope i get the letter in the next day or two, wtf...guess you answer my question on Audiworld if it was original owners getting the letters first but you are the 'last one in' so crap on me... after 3 1/2 years and only second owner...i'm waiting Audi.

DHall1
March 4th, 2009, 06:28
Its a crap shoot at this point. For how many years did Audi give the RS6 owners the middle finger. Even to the point of writing out the DRC from CPO warranty. You cant get more of the middle finger then that. FU to the RS6 owners.

I think several factors have changed Audi's attitude towards the DRC in general. 1. Audi wants more US market share. 2. Audi is getting killed on Fidelity warranty claims for DRC. Audi is the money behind Fidelity and Audi pays the bills. Trust me this is getting noticed. 6k a pop will make you notice.

Now, we have this program. I dont know how much better it will be. I have made the decision to stick with DRC as I have Fidelity coverage till 100k. But, if the system continues to fail....I will ask for the purchase of KWs as replacement if I sign a waiver. My car has DRC and Hotchkis bars. The setup has worked great and the ride last weekend was fantastic but, after I unloaded from my trailer this week...it seems the corners are alittle soft. I will check it this weekend. It could be time after 28k miles. We will see.

I'm the second owner of my car and way over here in Washington state (out in the country) and I just received my letter today. Still wondering how they are going to re-imburse me for the KW's, which are probably still better than the DRC ever was but since I'm not sure my DRC was ever 100% I'm willing to give the DRC a try, if not I can always go back the the KW's easily as they use all of the stock upper shock mounts. I was about to remove all of the DRC piping and central valves to get rid of un-necessary weight when all of this began, I'm glad I didn't. I wonder if Audi would have dealers re-install all of this new for those that may have removed the old junk? I guess we still have to wait and see?

Yellow RS6
March 4th, 2009, 13:41

I did just buy mine a few months ago, but it was from a dealer and a CPO car, so I guess they had me in their "database" or whatever. Because in the weeks after I bought it, I got things in the mail like a CPO "info packet", welcome to Audi, etc., from AoA.

Did you send your info to Rob on AW?

Benman
March 4th, 2009, 16:39
Got my letter on the same day. :)

Ben:addict:

LIRS6
March 4th, 2009, 18:02

Fyi I'm an original owner, and letter unrcvd as yet. Audi can stuff their 'valued customer' b.s. I will ask for re-imbursement for a/m, and will feel their love once again (piss off mr rs6 owner)

mmaturo
March 4th, 2009, 19:39
I did just buy mine a few months ago, but it was from a dealer and a CPO car, so I guess they had me in their "database" or whatever. Because in the weeks after I bought it, I got things in the mail like a CPO "info packet", welcome to Audi, etc., from AoA.

Did you send your info to Rob on AW?

Geeezzz, I bought mine CPO'd from an Audi dealer (a long time ago) and didn't get anything from AoA. Never have and that's with 3 CPO'd Audi's in a row over 14 years and even a new order of an S5 last year that i didn't even get the freebies for that either. Not sure what the heck the problem is there. Anyway yep I'm one of Rob's early responders and I did a complaint to the NHTSA as well. I'm going with crappy arse Chicago mail.

snoopra
March 4th, 2009, 21:04
Didn't anyone from AoA call/email you? I sent an email to Audi's PR rep Eric and got emails and calls from AoA months ago.

SAF
March 4th, 2009, 23:24
Geeezzz, I bought mine CPO'd from an Audi dealer (a long time ago) and didn't get anything from AoA. Never have and that's with 3 CPO'd Audi's in a row over 14 years and even a new order of an S5 last year that i didn't even get the freebies for that either. Not sure what the heck the problem is there. Anyway yep I'm one of Rob's early responders and I did a complaint to the NHTSA as well. I'm going with crappy arse Chicago mail.

I've never heard or received d!ck from AoA after buying this CPOd RS, including this latest letter. You'd think after 5 or 6 services to fix DRC (under 12mo. warranty), they'd have my info in their system.

mmaturo
March 4th, 2009, 23:31
I've never heard or received d!ck from AoA after buying this CPOd RS, including this latest letter. You'd think after 5 or 6 services to fix DRC (under 12mo. warranty), they'd have my info in their system.

I think they are ignoring a few of us 'frequent fliers'. They already know some of us are beaten down and miserable and will wait anyway. Otherwise known as lost cause.

If only they checked in with me that i am (still) brand loyal as heck and plan to add 2 more of these things to my world in the next few years and all of them starting with 'R'. Maybe they DO know that and again realize why waste their time to make me happy. I am going to go find a corner to go grumble in.

DHall1
March 4th, 2009, 23:48
Hey Audi....if your listening.

The more and more we RS6 owners get involved in North America Audi events...the more and more we scream bloody murder to other fellow Audi owners.

Then the word gets out.

Here I am on the Mulholland drive last weekend. 7 RS6s at that event. 3 RS4s and 4 or 5 R8s.

We carry some voices here....

SAF
March 5th, 2009, 00:14
I think they are ignoring a few of us 'frequent fliers'. They already know some of us are beaten down and miserable and will wait anyway. Otherwise known as lost cause.

If only they checked in with me that i am (still) brand loyal as heck and plan to add 2 more of these things to my world in the next few years and all of them starting with 'R'. Maybe they DO know that and again realize why waste their time to make me happy. I am going to go find a corner to go grumble in.

Hey, I even forgot the fact that I have an open case number with an RS6 advocate relating to this ongoing nightmare. Guess they don't bother looking back into the files until you squeek loudly enough. Might have to place a call or two tomorrow if no letter shows up.

Qisha
March 5th, 2009, 06:43
Dear Friends,

again- please admit some time for ALL owners to be contacted. It might take longer for one than another. Dependencies for delay are different and should not be seen as a refuse or ignorance.

The technical basic equipment is on its way to the USA. Now it is up to Kayaba to deliver the quote of upgraded shocks.

Qisha

Bigglezworth
March 5th, 2009, 07:03
Dear Friends,

again- please admit some time for ALL owners to be contacted. It might take longer for one than another. Dependencies for delay are different and should not be seen as a refuse or ignorance.

The technical basic equipment is on its way to the USA. Now it is up to Kayaba to deliver the quote of upgraded shocks.

QishaMore than reasonable. I don't have even close the time or money invested in my ride as many others so I'm more than willing to be patient.

GEN XER
March 5th, 2009, 14:33
This might make some on this forum very angry, but I got my letter yesterday and I have only owned my car a couple months. I dont know how that happened. I guess dropping 4K on a warranty may have helped though. LOL!!

DHall1
March 5th, 2009, 14:40
Qisha,

Thank you for all the information. We have seen quite a range of input on this matter. It has become very clear that many, many RS6 owners have pointed feelings towards the past history of handling this matter.

It has driven owners away from these vehicles and the one that kept them have very heated feelings about previous treatment and denial of the problems from Audi.

As an example, there are many cars that need DRC replacement right now. Specifically, I have full Fidelity Platinum coverage for replacement of all struts and central valves but there are no shocks? I have to drive my car for 6 months this way waiting for supply? Sorry, but that does not seem reasonable. My car has 28k miles and I would like to enjoy it this spring and summer and have the proper extended warranty to cover for items such as this but...NO PARTS ARE AVAILABLE?

Nothing is available, old...new....no struts.

Dear Friends,

Qisha

DHall1
March 5th, 2009, 14:47
Willie,

I dont know why the letter delay gets folks all fired up. The real problem is the delay in time for any kind of shock.

What concerns me is....we have to wait till August for any type of replacement. New, old...anything.

Sure, if your out of warranty and are getting this free...you cant complain. Or, not complain too loud.

But, what if your still under warranty and or Fidelity/Audi warranty and have fully covered your exposure for problems such as this. You have to drive a dangerous car for 6 months? What if you or I were to get in a serious accident on the hwy while waiting for these recalled shocks? Not pretty because Audi have already admitted to the defect in suspension and now parts are not available for 6 months? You can put 2 and 2 together there. It would be a slam dunk for any rookie legal aid to put that case together.

Its just poor planning on Audi's part. Great, there going to cover these things but, some folks have planned for such problems and have paid big $$ for not only the car but Audi warranty on top of the car. Now we cant even exercise the warranty because....NO PARTS ARE AVAILABLE.

This might make some on this forum very angry, but I got my letter yesterday and I have only owned my car a couple months. I dont know how that happened. I guess dropping 4K on a warranty may have helped though. LOL!!

Bigglezworth
March 5th, 2009, 14:59
Not interested in getting into any curt discussion with those that are more upset than I am, but I can also confirm that Audi is doing what they can as a corporation currently to remedy the flaws with our rides. Spoke with an Audi A8 advocate first thing this morning and they are rolling full steam on this.

This aside, I'm not of the concensus that the world is falling down around me right this second on the matter. I have a car with a failed suspension. Happened a couple of months ago in the cold winter weeks just prior to Xmas. While I wouldn't run the car on the track in it's current state, I have no problem driving it to work or taking it for spritied runs on the highway. The ride is hard and spine jolting, but it's not unstable by any stretch of the imagination. I will go through the steps to see what the time impact is to have an authorized Audi dealer attend to my current situation prior to the "service agreement" (aka DRC recall) coming into full swing in mid Summer. 6 months is a ways away and I too would like some comfort back in my ride. Given that I'm at the mercy of the engineers and corporate planning, I know all my ranting and raving will do nothing to make the matters disappear any time earlier. Simply not interested in dying on this hill and prepared to put all my energy into other battles that I know will provide a greater sense of achievement.

Tim

http://members.shaw.ca/bigglezworth/Audi/leaky1.jpghttp://members.shaw.ca/bigglezworth/Audi/leaky2.jpg

DHall1
March 5th, 2009, 15:11
Tim,

Sure I can fully understand a short delay in parts supply.

But, unlike yours which may have both sides of the "X" lines leaking and thus equal which makes your car just drive like crap.

There are people out there with only 1 side of the "X" leaking. The other circuit is still pressurized. Can you imagine what that car drives like? Those are the people that could kill themselves. This is why so many people gave up completely on DRC and just purchased aftermarket coilovers. The cars were dangerous to drive in this state and those in the know placed life above just sending the car to the scrap heap. 90000 dollar scrap heap.

Lastly, not all RS6 drivers are skilled at proper car control. Nor should everyone need to a race car driver to drive a RS6. I can remember the vids of a race car driver trying to drive a Ford Explorer after a blowout of the tire. He couldnt and the pig still flipped over. Need I say more.

Not interested in getting into any curt discussion with those that are more upset than I am, but I can also confirm that Audi is doing what they can as a corporation currently to remedy the flaws with our rides. Spoke with an Audi A8 advocate first thing this morning and they are rolling full steam on this.

This aside, I'm not of the concensus that the world is falling down around me right this second on the matter. I have a car with a failed suspension. Happened a couple of months ago in the cold winter weeks just prior to Xmas. While I wouldn't run the car on the track in it's current state, I have no problem driving it to work or taking it for spritied runs on the highway. The ride is hard and spine jolting, but it's not unstable by any stretch of the imagination. I will go through the steps to see what the time impact is to have an authorized Audi dealer attend to my current situation prior to the "service agreement" (aka DRC recall) coming into full swing in mid Summer. 6 months is a ways away and I too would like some comfort back in my ride. Given that I'm at the mercy of the engineers and corporate planning, I know all my ranting and raving will do nothing to make the matters disappear any time earlier. Simply not interested in dying on this hill and prepared to put all my energy into other battles that I know will provide a greater sense of achievement.

Tim

http://members.shaw.ca/bigglezworth/Audi/leaky1.jpghttp://members.shaw.ca/bigglezworth/Audi/leaky2.jpg

Qisha
March 5th, 2009, 15:15
Dear DHall1,

i understand your point and the displeasing feeling of waiting. We are talking of round about 4.000 new Shocks to be delivered in use for this Service action- alone.

If you allow to state my own personal point:

to threat everyone equal i understand to start off when all Service Points are equipped with rudimental needed parts. Otherwise i dont see a fair way on handling a sequence (who is 1st, 2nd etc.).

It would not make much sense in shipping just a few parts, rather than that all in one.

I do have a good feeling about the whole scenario we are looking at and am confident it will prove satisfactory.

Qisha

Trivia: in total 8.081 RS6 Gen I have been produced.

DHall1
March 5th, 2009, 15:29
Qisha,

I can appreciate all of your hard work on this matter and all of your input over the years. We truly enjoy these cars. Thats why we get so noisy when something is not working as designed. Let alone dangerous to drive.

My point is this. Audi does infact send small shipments over here all the time. Its routine. If we take a car in for service and a part needs to come from Germany....it gets sent. I understand logistics and cost contaiment for such a large order of shocks and the need to send them all at once. But, I also know that there are dangerous cars on the roads right now and small orders could be send for those purposes. The special policy is nice for those that dont have warranty but I have planned for this exposure and have full Fidelity/Audi warranty coverage and cant get my car fixed for 6 months? I dont need the special policy, I have a covered repair. So do many others.

Let AoA tech assist determine who gets what first. Leave it to the cars that are leaking right now or that have 1 circuit of the "X" design leaking which causes a dangerous driving auto. So only repair those that are dangerous right now or that are leaking. I think I can wait but this may cause me to park my car this year from any performance Audi driving event. I had planned to attend the Audi driving event in Nevada and Utah this spring and summer. Those are out the window right now.

Its funny because after our event in California last weekend. I can really appreciate the new R8. Its one thing to see them sitting on the showroom floor of your dealer but its another to see them out on the roads working as they were designed. I mean, we had 7 RS6s, 3 RS4s and 4 or 5 R8s at this event. I dont buy my cars to sit on the showroom floor and seeing the R8s in action can really motivate a purchase for that car in the future. Many RS6 owners had that same feeling last weekend.

Best of luck in all this,

Dave

Dear DHall1,

i understand your point and the displeasing feeling of waiting. We are talking of round about 4.000 new Shocks to be delivered in use for this Service action- alone.

If you allow to state my own personal point:

to threat everyone equal i understand to start off when all Service Points are equipped with rudimental needed parts. Otherwise i dont see a fair way on handling a sequence (who is 1st, 2nd etc.).

It would not make much sense in shipping just a few parts, rather than that all in one.

I do have a good feeling about the whole scenario we are looking at and am confident it will prove satisfactory.

Qisha

Trivia: in total 8.081 RS6 Gen I have been produced.

SAF
March 5th, 2009, 16:43
As I posted over on AW...

I just spoke to AoA Customer Relations and comfirmed that the warranty on the new DRC service and parts will be 12/12. It will be like any other service warranty.

They also confirmed that even though I haven't received it yet, I was on the mailing list for The Letter and the reimbursment form. The girl also added that even if someone doesn't receive the letter, come August when dealers are fully up to date and prepared to perform the work, you can submit a claim for past DRC expenses through them, or just phone AoA directly and they will pull the info and send the check.

She couldn't confirm whether or not a car had to be showing signs of failure to get the service done, or if it would be treated like a recall action where all vehicles are serviced regardless of the condition of the parts.

This led me to another question... whether there was a limited time period to get this work done at no cost. She didn't have that info at this time, but will try to find out for me. Personally, if there's no time limit and it is instead one upgrade per vehicle, I would not take in my working DRC until it fails. Why put yourself on the 12/12 clock before you actually have to?

Yellow RS6
March 5th, 2009, 17:41
This led me to another question... whether there was a limited time period to get this work done at no cost. She didn't have that info at this time, but will try to find out for me. Personally, if there's no time limit and it is instead one upgrade per vehicle, I would not take in my working DRC until it fails. Why put yourself on the 12/12 clock before you actually have to?

That's also my thinking on this (assuming there's no time limit), don't take it in until the DRC fails! Like you say, why start the 12/12 "clock" before you need to. Of course, the parts won't be here for 6 months, so it may fail by then anyways :noshake:

Roger
March 6th, 2009, 03:01
Got my letter today. My original DRC is still working perfectly, no repair ever needed. I guess I should "upgrade" anyway? I'm slightrly afraid it will give me the problems the rest of you have had.

JCT2033
March 6th, 2009, 06:21
I contacted my local Audi dealer for a separate issue over the weekend before I received the letter.

Firs of all, the head of the mechanics told me that there is only a limited number of the recharging tools for the central valve in the states.
<o></o>
Secondly, they are currently working on a RS4’s DRC system which requires the replacement of all four shocks. When the parts department put in the struts order, AoA called them and cancel the order. Instead, AoA told them that the struts will be shipped to them without the need of placing an order.
<o></o>
The dealer speculated that if a DRC requires a strut replacement, AoA will send the updated parts to dealer. If the DRC is currently working fine, then the vehicle will be serviced at a later date perhaps during the coming summer.

DHall1
March 6th, 2009, 15:34
http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?p=155258#post155258

And here is a copy of what the dealers have got.

DuckWingDuck
March 6th, 2009, 16:09
well, see, that's the question right? Your existing DRC is known to be flawed, it may or may not go bad. The new DRC? Well, that may or may not work in the long run too!

SAF
March 6th, 2009, 17:17
As I said above, if there's no time limit on getting this upgrade, and it is implemented as one upgrade per vehicle, available whenever you want it, I won't be taking in my working DRC until it fails. Why put yourself on a closed ended 12/12 warranty before you have to?

Hell, my shocks seems to be fine after the third system replacement and so far all is good. Why mess with it? If it lasts eight months or five more years, I'll use it until it pops, knowing there is a new system waiting to be installed.

snoopra
March 6th, 2009, 19:41
Here's another question for Qisha, are the top rubber mounts and associated installation parts included in this service action? No sense in replacing the shocks and not the rubber mounts, IMHO.

Hy Octane
March 6th, 2009, 19:53
As I said above, if there's no time limit on getting this upgrade, and it is implemented as one upgrade per vehicle, available whenever you want it, I won't be taking in my working DRC until it fails. Why put yourself on a closed ended 12/12 warranty before you have to?

Hell, my shocks seems to be fine after the third system replacement and so far all is good. Why mess with it? If it lasts eight months or five more years, I'll use it until it pops, knowing there is a new system waiting to be installed.

2 reasons I can think of.

Firstly, if the first round of new shocks runs out of stock afetr all these fixes and yours decides to fail, you might get caught inbetween shipments..
Secondly, implementing the upgrade even if you dont need it yet removes the impending disaster that will occur with the defective units and restores confidence in your car so you dont have this on your mind as a 'can fail any day now' and can get on with enjoying the car..

I'm going to let my local tech do a few others first and when hes got it down pat, I'll have mine doen.. if the existing DRC co-operates that is..

DHall1
March 6th, 2009, 20:03
Hy Octane,

Hey, a quick question. I was talking with Greg this morning about his car and mine going soft after our Mulholland run.

I know its not scientific but here goes anyways.

1. If you take each corner of the car and push down on the quarter panel/next to the taillight and fender/next to the headlight. How much deflection do you get on each corner? I weigh about 190lbs and just using some arm strength seems to deflect each corner very easily. I dont think there is much compression or rebound damping in each corner. I just feel the spring rate in each corner. Should the rears deflect an inch without much effort?

I walk over to our E55 and its much stiffer.

I am not happy right now.

2 reasons I can think of.

Firstly, if the first round of new shocks runs out of stock afetr all these fixes and yours decides to fail, you might get caught inbetween shipments..
Secondly, implementing the upgrade even if you dont need it yet removes the impending disaster that will occur with the defective units and restores confidence in your car so you dont have this on your mind as a 'can fail any day now' and can get on with enjoying the car..

I'm going to let my local tech do a few others first and when hes got it down pat, I'll have mine doen.. if the existing DRC co-operates that is..

Hy Octane
March 6th, 2009, 21:35
Dave..
This is the grayest of gray areas as far as DRC goes..
When new, my DRC was extremely firm.. I loved it. You could push down on the front fender and it wouldnt budge at all. I weigh 220 or so.. Around turns it was perfectly flat.. very bumpy ride but thats what I expected from an RS..Cant have a bouncy car on the Nurburgring ya know.. It even surprised me when some started getting Hotchkiss sway bars fitted as mine didnt need them cause it didnt sway or dive or squat at all.. It was like a go kart.. I loved it. My brother followed me in his BMW and commented that there was absolutely 'zero rebound' when I went over bumps.
When it failed and came back from its repair, it was like a cadillac.. I tried several times to redo it but the problem seemed to be that none of the techs (I even had the US top tech, the guy who teaches others, Steve Shoup flown out here by AoA to redo it, but it still bounced) really knew how this car was supposed to ride when in proper order.. So, to this day, I am still unable to find anyone here in the USA who actually knows how firm the ride should be on thees cars when fixed properly..
As we see from Qishas posts, the improper repair techniques employed here by untrained USA techs with makeshift repair kits resulted in the systems being underpressurized and this excess travel in the struts is what seems to have exascerbated the failures.. In other words, the struts are not supposed to have very much vertical travel over bumps which is the way mine was new.. Improper repairs caused too much vertical travel (ride way too soft) which in turn leads to early failure again.which explains why most failures occur in the front first...so...wash, rinse and repeat..
I have to believe that the suspension is meant to be rock solid as mine was new. Several reviews fro 2003 mention the extremely stiff ride and how the DRC keeps the car flat around corners (and these were corners at race speed, not 35mph around town stuff). After all, if Audi had wanted to get this mediocre performance we have now, they didnt need to put this expensive unique system on this car to achieve this result. They could have had the same bouncy ride with $25 monroe shocks. So, we have to assume that the DRC was intended to perform at a much higher level than our repairs have yielded...
So, no. Your car shouldnt move at all when leaned on and it surely shouldnt bounce up and down when driven over rough surfaces..Compare it to an RS4 that hasnt failed. Extremely firm.
Trying to get someone to fix them who knows this has been fruitless.
From what I understand, the new repair kit will address this problem so its a pass/fail thing with no inbetween.. All this could have been sorted sooner had Gmbh just sent one of their techs here to show the rest the proper way these cars should perform.
One of the risks we take when purchasing a one year specialty exotic car with low production numbers..

DHall1
March 6th, 2009, 22:12
Thanks for the detailed response. I have the exact same feeling on the status of my current setup.

My only concern....or should I say one of my concerns. Is this.

If you read the service bulletin as it stands. Audi will

1. Replace 4 struts with updated units.
2. Replace 2 central valves.

Of key note. The "new" special tool is not yet avail and not needed for this first repair. That tells me....its business as usual and the dealers will just install all the new parts.

NOTHING is going to add any pressure or check to see that adequate pressure is attained.

So, in your cars current state of repair. Can you push down each rear quarter panel and get the car to move 1-1.5 inches of vertical travel?

Dave..
This is the grayest of gray areas as far as DRC goes..
When new, my DRC was extremely firm.. I loved it. You could push down on the front fender and it wouldnt budge at all. I weigh 220 or so.. Around turns it was perfectly flat.. very bumpy ride but thats what I expected from an RS..Cant have a bouncy car on the Nurburgring ya know.. It even surprised me when some started getting Hotchkiss sway bars fitted as mine didnt need them cause it didnt sway or dive or squat at all.. It was like a go kart.. I loved it. My brother followed me in his BMW and commented that there was absolutely 'zero rebound' when I went over bumps.
When it failed and came back from its repair, it was like a cadillac.. I tried several times to redo it but the problem seemed to be that none of the techs (I even had the US top tech, the guy who teaches others, Steve Shoup flown out here by AoA to redo it, but it still bounced) really knew how this car was supposed to ride when in proper order.. So, to this day, I am still unable to find anyone here in the USA who actually knows how firm the ride should be on thees cars when fixed properly..
As we see from Qishas posts, the improper repair techniques employed here by untrained USA techs with makeshift repair kits resulted in the systems being underpressurized and this excess travel in the struts is what seems to have exascerbated the failures.. In other words, the struts are not supposed to have very much vertical travel over bumps which is the way mine was new.. Improper repairs caused too much vertical travel (ride way too soft) which in turn leads to early failure again.which explains why most failures occur in the front first...so...wash, rinse and repeat..
I have to believe that the suspension is meant to be rock solid as mine was new. Several reviews fro 2003 mention the extremely stiff ride and how the DRC keeps the car flat around corners (and these were corners at race speed, not 35mph around town stuff). After all, if Audi had wanted to get this mediocre performance we have now, they didnt need to put this expensive unique system on this car to achieve this result. They could have had the same bouncy ride with $25 monroe shocks. So, we have to assume that the DRC was intended to perform at a much higher level than our repairs have yielded...
So, no. Your car shouldnt move at all when leaned on and it surely shouldnt bounce up and down when driven over rough surfaces..Compare it to an RS4 that hasnt failed. Extremely firm.
Trying to get someone to fix them who knows this has been fruitless.
From what I understand, the new repair kit will address this problem so its a pass/fail thing with no inbetween.. All this could have been sorted sooner had Gmbh just sent one of their techs here to show the rest the proper way these cars should perform.
One of the risks we take when purchasing a one year specialty exotic car with low production numbers..

Hy Octane
March 6th, 2009, 22:20
Yes. Moreso in the front due to the extra weight there..

I will not submit my unit for any final repair until all updated and necessary equipment is in house. Thats why i'll wait until my guy has done a few first so I can see the results first and decide if they have indeed been able to return the car to as new state.. If the new repair system yields similar ride results to what we have now, I will demand Audi pay for an aftermarket system.

Copper
March 7th, 2009, 00:48
Well, it's about f'in time AoA.

I bet they mailed my letter to my house in FL. I'll have to wait and pick it up the week of March 17th.