PDA

View Full Version : DRC Update - Cross Post

SpinEcho
February 28th, 2009, 18:43
Sorry if it's posted elsewhere on this forum, but I don't see it...

http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/45400.phtml

GEN XER
February 28th, 2009, 22:50
I don't know about anybody else but what I see from this letter, we may have problems with the word "Leak". If your shocks are not leaking then what? You are left arguing with the dealer over this Service Actions intent. Is the intent really to repair all RS6's or just those that are leaking. Mine was repaired for leaking some time ago before I bought it, but now it just clunks all the time, so whats in store for me and people like me?

DuckWingDuck
March 1st, 2009, 00:59
Justin mentioned today after our drive that he caught wind from his dealership that Audi is issuing a recall for the DRC, I guess with the system that Qisha posted weeks ago.

Again, my mantra is, I'll believe it when I see it.

Ultimately, those like me who have gone ahead and went the aftermarket route will be screwed, that I'm fairly certain!

DHall1
March 1st, 2009, 17:36
Willie,

Your DRC is shot. My guess is the system was not recharged properly when the repairs were performed. Thus, there is very little or no fluid to leak. Therefore you just have the clunk.

How does the car handle when its pushed?

This whole DRC thing over on Audiworld is a joke. Everyone just gives all the praise to Booscloos/Rob when he really didn't do squat and was just in the right place at the right time. Audi was already on it and about to release the fix. Sorry, I don't kiss the ground he walks on. :-)

I don't know about anybody else but what I see from this letter, we may have problems with the word "Leak". If your shocks are not leaking then what? You are left arguing with the dealer over this Service Actions intent. Is the intent really to repair all RS6's or just those that are leaking. Mine was repaired for leaking some time ago before I bought it, but now it just clunks all the time, so whats in store for me and people like me?

CornersWell
March 1st, 2009, 20:31
This whole DRC thing over on Audiworld is a joke. Everyone just gives all the praise to Booscloos/Rob when he really didn't do squat and was just in the right place at the right time. Audi was already on it and about to release the fix. Sorry, I don't kiss the ground he walks on. :-)

I think this is an unwarranted attack on Rob. Listen, he may well have been the guy that pushed this into the endzone after our tireless appeals to AoA, but unless YOU were interested in taking the lead on this, then you shouldn't cast any stones.

Do I think he's our "saviour" and walks on water? No, and there are plenty of questions left to be answered. But, we're seeing some action. And, I think it very fair for you and others to ask questions and expect answers. If not directly from AoA, then through Rob. Has he answered them to everyone's satisfaction, yet? No, but also remember that he's dealing with a corporate entity with lawyers and layers of management that have to sign off on these statements. If the statements don't have everything you want, I'm sure you'll follow-up. The process will take time. I have ZERO problems with that. Besides, we've waited for 5+ years, what's another 6 months if you get what you want/need? Spending the time to get it right the first time will save time for all of us in the long run.

I'm not defending Rob, per se, but I do think your expectations may be unrealistic. Ultimately, I hope we are ALL happy with the outcome, but it may not happen on your schedule. This isn't over from what I can tell. So, stay on Rob and get your questions answered, but if you antagonize or insult him, he may not be as responsive to you as you'd like.

I'm just saying it's easy to sit back, throw bombs and express your dissatisfaction. And, it's totally appropriate to want to have YOUR questions answered. But, unless you're willing to step up to the plate and pursue this matter, and in lieu of anyone else other than Rob doing anything, I think you shouldn't be as seemingly ungrateful as you are.

CW

GEN XER
March 1st, 2009, 22:45
It feels like its on ice. I dont push it to WOT unless I know the road is free if curves and potholes. I hit a pothole once at WOT and nearly ended my RS6 experience. If it had been a RWD I would not have recovered. :MTM:

Willie,

Your DRC is shot. My guess is the system was not recharged properly when the repairs were performed. Thus, there is very little or no fluid to leak. Therefore you just have the clunk.

How does the car handle when its pushed?

DHall1
March 2nd, 2009, 08:07
Why do you make so much out of just a few words? Wow, its like a novel you wrote.

Plain and simple. The DRC info on AW is a joke. That's all, no personal attacks on Rob. I just don't see any value he brings.

I walked in to my Audi dealer and got info in 5 minutes. End of story.

I don't want to waste anyones time here. Willie has a dangerous situation here with his DRC and I would like to help diagonse the problem and see proper repairs. That's all I have to say on this matter.

I think this is an unwarranted attack on Rob. Listen, he may well have been the guy that pushed this into the endzone after our tireless appeals to AoA, but unless YOU were interested in taking the lead on this, then you shouldn't cast any stones.

Do I think he's our "saviour" and walks on water? No, and there are plenty of questions left to be answered. But, we're seeing some action. And, I think it very fair for you and others to ask questions and expect answers. If not directly from AoA, then through Rob. Has he answered them to everyone's satisfaction, yet? No, but also remember that he's dealing with a corporate entity with lawyers and layers of management that have to sign off on these statements. If the statements don't have everything you want, I'm sure you'll follow-up. The process will take time. I have ZERO problems with that. Besides, we've waited for 5+ years, what's another 6 months if you get what you want/need? Spending the time to get it right the first time will save time for all of us in the long run.

I'm not defending Rob, per se, but I do think your expectations may be unrealistic. Ultimately, I hope we are ALL happy with the outcome, but it may not happen on your schedule. This isn't over from what I can tell. So, stay on Rob and get your questions answered, but if you antagonize or insult him, he may not be as responsive to you as you'd like.

I'm just saying it's easy to sit back, throw bombs and express your dissatisfaction. And, it's totally appropriate to want to have YOUR questions answered. But, unless you're willing to step up to the plate and pursue this matter, and in lieu of anyone else other than Rob doing anything, I think you shouldn't be as seemingly ungrateful as you are.

CW

DHall1
March 2nd, 2009, 08:14
Willie,

Your DRC is shot. Did you read up on all the DRC threads here? Do you understand the cross linking?

If I remember correctly, you purchased a Fidelity policy? Right. If so, do not wait for anything official and get your car into Audi asap. Chances are, your dealer will call tech assist and you will get the new shocks installed.

Call me or text me if you have any questions.

It feels like its on ice. I dont push it to WOT unless I know the road is free if curves and potholes. I hit a pothole once at WOT and nearly ended my RS6 experience. If it had been a RWD I would not have recovered. :MTM:

SAF
March 2nd, 2009, 18:38
While I will give Robert his due for opening a channel of communication with AoA about this issue, I agree that this new DRC ball was rolling way before he posted on AW or made any phone calls concerning our plight. From all I have read and heard about these existing new parts, new tools and the memos that dealerships are getting, I'm guessing we're at a point in this process that has taken a year or two to arrive at. These things do take time, and we're not near the end of it yet. Robert's timing was obviously coincidental, and I think most folks realize that.

At this stage, my concern relates to the reimbursement for the DRC fix I paid over $1k into two years ago that subsequently failed three more times before being done correctly (which for now isn't leaking or thumping). That is where I and a few others find Robert's efforts to be helpful.

Hy Octane
March 2nd, 2009, 18:55
Lets not forget that upon seeing Roberts post where he pledged to start a class action suit on our behalf and do any legwork associated with it, Audi, who we know reads these boards, felt the need to contact HIM and reveal their plans to address these DRC complaints. As Qisha has already explained, the redesign of the system parts was already underway, but due to Roberts intervention, Audi was forced to disclose their hand which i'm sure has prevented many others from going ahead with plans to go aftermarket and encouraged others to keep their cars until the fix is applied. I applaud Robert and if Audi hadnt already agreed to fix these things, i'm sure he would be leading the charge (free of charge) to press the class action suit we all thought we were going to have to file. So, thank you Robert.

DuckWingDuck
March 2nd, 2009, 22:46
Folks, got this letter in my mailbox today:

http://www.twilightstar.net/greg/recall.PDF

Just some highlights...

"We have recently finished developing and testing improved shocked absorbers for your vehicle and are in the process of producing the necessary parts to provide all RS6 customers a service. This service will replace all four shocks and validate the system functionality of the DRC suspension system.

Unfortunately, the necessary parts inventory required to complete this service will not be available until early August. ...

If you have previously paid for repairs to the DRC suspension system, the enclosed form explains how to request reimbursement. ..."

Anyway, it looks like people like me who went the aftermarket route will get hosed.

GEN XER
March 2nd, 2009, 23:00
Willie,

Your DRC is shot. Did you read up on all the DRC threads here? Do you understand the cross linking?

If I remember correctly, you purchased a Fidelity policy? Right. If so, do not wait for anything official and get your car into Audi asap. Chances are, your dealer will call tech assist and you will get the new shocks installed.

Call me or text me if you have any questions.

Hey I will get on top of it.

Folks, got this letter in my mailbox today:

http://www.twilightstar.net/greg/recall.PDF

Just some highlights...

"We have recently finished developing and testing improved shocked absorbers for your vehicle and are in the process of producing the necessary parts to provide all RS6 customers a service. This service will replace all four shocks and validate the system functionality of the DRC suspension system.

Unfortunately, the necessary parts inventory required to complete this service will not be available until early August. ...

If you have previously paid for repairs to the DRC suspension system, the enclosed form explains how to request reimbursement. ..."

Anyway, it looks like people like me who went the aftermarket route will get hosed.

Hey we can all use this letter as they did not use your name.

DuckWingDuck
March 2nd, 2009, 23:01
ya, the letter I got contained this generic letter and a personalised claims form. The letter specifically calls out for reimbursement to the DRC system, so guys like Justin and Paul who've had their DRC replaced can probably get whatever moneys they paid out of pocket back but people like me and Nick, there's no way Audi will pay me money for my aftermarket parts.

Bigglezworth
March 3rd, 2009, 01:17
ya, the letter I got contained this generic letter and a personalised claims form. The letter specifically calls out for reimbursement to the DRC system, so guys like Justin and Paul who've had their DRC replaced can probably get whatever moneys they paid out of pocket back but people like me and Nick, there's no way Audi will pay me money for my aftermarket parts.Aftermarket is aftermarket guys. I'm not surprised by it as I've NEVER heard of any manufacturer providing restitution for parts that weren't designed and tested by them. OEM products yes.

Tim

DuckWingDuck
March 3rd, 2009, 01:24
Oh, no doubt about it Tim, I'm not complaining or saying that Audi should compensate me for the aftermarket parts, just stating a fact.

But, at the same time, I never would've gone aftermarket had the DRC been fixed. I mean, conceivably, my blow out, which was caused by a faulty DRC, could have been MUCH worse!

SAF
March 3rd, 2009, 01:29
How did a faulty DRC cause you to have a blowout?

GEN XER
March 5th, 2009, 14:39
This might make some on this forum very angry, but I got my letter yesterday and I have only owned my car a couple months. I dont know how that happened. I guess dropping 4K on a warranty may have helped though. LOL!!

DHall1
March 5th, 2009, 14:53
Greg,

Exactly. You would never have gone down this route if DRC could have been fixed properly. DRC is the best if its working or can be fixed. If there is no hope for a fix then why dump 6,000 dollars down the drain for it to just leak again.

I would make Audi put a fully working DRC back in your car. Demand it.

Oh, no doubt about it Tim, I'm not complaining or saying that Audi should compensate me for the aftermarket parts, just stating a fact.

But, at the same time, I never would've gone aftermarket had the DRC been fixed. I mean, conceivably, my blow out, which was caused by a faulty DRC, could have been MUCH worse!

DHall1
March 5th, 2009, 14:56
Well, it should make you angry when you go over to your Audi dealer and they tell you 6 months before they can fix your car.

Hell, why did you buy the Fidelity extended warranty? Is Audi going to extend your warranty 6 more months because you cant drive your car for 6 months? NO

From what you have written, your car is truly dangerous to drive right now.

This might make some on this forum very angry, but I got my letter yesterday and I have only owned my car a couple months. I dont know how that happened. I guess dropping 4K on a warranty may have helped though. LOL!!

GEN XER
March 5th, 2009, 17:30
Well, it should make you angry when you go over to your Audi dealer and they tell you 6 months before they can fix your car.

Hell, why did you buy the Fidelity extended warranty? Is Audi going to extend your warranty 6 more months because you cant drive your car for 6 months? NO

From what you have written, your car is truly dangerous to drive right now.

Well the warranty covers more than just the suspension. I can wait 6 months if that is what it takes to get it done right. Now if this fix is not the answer then maybe I wont be so patient after that. I wont drive it to the edge until after I get the fix.

DHall1
March 5th, 2009, 17:34
Could you research what your local dealer could do at this time? Time is ticking. You wait 6 months here and 6 months there and your no longer covered by Fidelity. DRC is one of the main reasons to purchase Fidelity/Audi.

My dealer told me they have already fixed an RS6 with the new struts. I am going to call them this week to see if they can get another set.

Dealer told me they called Audi Tech assist and tech assist got the new struts shipped.

In the end, I dont really care how many sets of DRC shocks Audi has to install on my car. I will get 4 of the old design now if I have to. At least the car will be right to drive for the next 6 months. Then at that time they can install the new struts.

Well the warranty covers more than just the suspension. I can wait 6 months if that is what it takes to get it done right. Now if this fix is not the answer then maybe I wont be so patient after that. I wont drive it to the edge until after I get the fix.

SAF
March 5th, 2009, 17:49
I will get 4 of the old design now if I have to. At least the car will be right to drive for the next 6 months.

Not if they fail two miles or two weeks down after being installed like they did with me four times and also for many others. Plus I doubt Audi would put in the old parts at this stage anyway, when both of you know the new parts are coming. They'd then be assuming the expense twice within six months.

GEN XER
March 5th, 2009, 17:54
Could you research what your local dealer could do at this time? Time is ticking. You wait 6 months here and 6 months there and your no longer covered by Fidelity. DRC is one of the main reasons to purchase Fidelity/Audi.

My dealer told me they have already fixed an RS6 with the new struts. I am going to call them this week to see if they can get another set.

Dealer told me they called Audi Tech assist and tech assist got the new struts shipped.

In the end, I dont really care how many sets of DRC shocks Audi has to install on my car. I will get 4 of the old design now if I have to. At least the car will be right to drive for the next 6 months. Then at that time they can install the new struts.

Thanks for this info. I will look into getting the fix earlier now that I have this knowledge. :cheers: U Da Man.

DHall1
March 5th, 2009, 18:13
I understand that new/old design shocks could fail. I would also say if you have a dangerous vehicle to drive on the roads right now what other choice do you have?

If I pull into an Audi dealer with Audi/Fidelity coverage and failed suspension components that are covered by my policy. Do you think the Audi dealer would tell me to wait 6 months for a safety repair to my suspension? Let me go call some friends at Kutak/Rock. I mean really, I dont think a repair can be refused at this point. New or old design struts....a working system should be installed on the above said vehicle.

If Audi were that stupid to try that.....I can guarantee a complete bail out of Audi vehicles by RS owners. I take suspension safety on the roads as a top reason why I choose Audi. If Audi does not care to address a dangerous setting of suspension without any alternative. Audi will loose. Every time. Waiting 6 months for a safety issue while telling owners to drive the vehicle is a sure fire way to disaster. There must be a plan to make repairs to vehicles during this waiting period. I dont care if its old design struts. You cant let dangerous suspension systems drive down the roads.

Driving a dangerous vehicle 6 months is not an option. I have the Audi/Fidelity coverage to warranty a DRC repair now. Not 6 months from now. Deny that claim, I will install KW struts and place my call to Kutak/Rock. End of story.

Thinking about it....the RS4 people didnt even beat around the bush. They took the leaking DRC struts and threw them in the garbage. I bet you those guys are causing quite a stirr over there and Audi has its hands full. Heck, Audi cant give away RS4s. I wonder why.

Not if they fail two miles or two weeks down after being installed like they did with me four times and also for many others. Plus I doubt Audi would put in the old parts at this stage anyway, when both of you know the new parts are coming. They'd then be assuming the expense twice within six months.

SAF
March 5th, 2009, 19:15
If you can get the system fixed soon at your dealer through Fidelity, I would absolutely go for it. I didn't want to drive my car when the thing was clunking over every lump in the road, but I had to wait for shipment of parts from Germany so I continued to drive the car and waited...with Audi's blessing in fact (they said it was OK to drive). The cars are driveable with low shock pressure, you just have to use common sense and not push the intended limits of the design until it's fixed.

Now maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe there are cases of wrecked RS6s or injuries laying at Audi's doorstep due to non-working reactive suspensions. In fact with all the DRC failures going around, I've never heard of a single case like that. This would have been addressed in a much more timely manor and in a completely different way (ie. safety recall) if that were happening. We all know Audi is more than familiar with safety issues and recalls, and if they (or their lawyers) had the slightest worry that driving the car was a threat to anyone, they'd have been all over this a long time ago. That fact alone may be the main reason we <i>have</i> been waiting so long.
There are probably more than a few owners out there with failed systems who've never read a BB, don't know what DRC does or even is, and are content with their cars because they don't know the difference and can't tell something is amiss. IMO, calling this a "dangerous" situation is a little dramatic.

Hy Octane
March 5th, 2009, 19:48
Remember..We alerted the DOT to this problem and they conducted an investigation to see if a recall was warranted. So, Audi was contacted by them and informed of the scope and concern on behalf of driver safety.. Its seems apparent that thru this and other influences, Audi realized they must act quickly to stem the flood of lawsuits that might come as a result of this problem. Given the harm done by the unintended acceleration fiasco of the 80's, it follows they would alert us sooner than later about upcoming changes... partly to calm everyone down but also to avoid any negative publicity thru lawsuits being filed that could hurt them .. remember tho, it wasnt Audi who dragged their feet about the redesign., As Qisha has explained, it was the company who holds the sole manufacturing rights Kayaba, who maintained there was no design flaw with the shocks.. and it seems that after alot of haggling back and forth, they finally relented and redesigned the things along with Audi designing a failsafe kit to apply the repair with. So, by the time these kits are made and shipped here plus the time it takes to road test and approve the new shocks for longevity and leakproofing (rememeber this suspension was meant to last at least 100k miles if not more and surprised everyone with its problems).. so it has to be tested for quite a while before they can release it to us.. Then they have to manufacture them as Qisha says, thousands have to be made and shipped ..It takes 3 months for a car to be built in Germany and get shipped here..so...
Those of us who have been dealing with this since 2004 understand that its just going to be a little longer before we can get fixed and move on..

SAF
March 5th, 2009, 20:01
You are right Hy. My point is that if they had looked into this and saw it as a dangerous situation, every car with this system in every country they sold them in would have a safety recall on it. They wouldn't have risked waiting for Kayaba to respond...they would have put regular old shocks on the cars if they had to to cover their asses ASAP. I'm just pointing out that this isn't currently a safety recall, and I don't think it needs to be.

DHall1
March 5th, 2009, 20:19
I can see your points.

My only concerns are as follows. 99% of the time we can drive our cars normally. But what about the 1% of the time we actually need all the safety factors in the vehicle? You cant plan on when you need those safety factors....only plan that they will happen some day.

1. If we have a leaking DRC and the whole system is discharged. Both sides of the "X" are equal and have no pressure....the car just drives like crap and all 4 corners have a lack of damping control.

2. Now consider if we only have 1 circuit of the "X" DRC at zero pressure or loss of fluid and the other cross circuit at full pressure. The cross corners of that car are dangerous at any speed if that owner has to make any type of evasive manuvers. That is my concern.

We all dont know "when" we need to rely on the vehicle to provide the performance of the suspension or braking system in our cars. The wheel in the highway, the blown tire at highway speeds, the SOB that cuts us off and puts the car in the ditch....

I say this. If the DRC is not at pressure your car is dangerous to your safety. Period.

In both cases above the said car is not safe to drive in that emergency situation. Any dealer that tells you your RS6 is safe to drive with a blown DRC is an idiot. And setting themselves up for a big party in court.

If you can get the system fixed soon at your dealer through Fidelity, I would absolutely go for it. I didn't want to drive my car when the thing was clunking over every lump in the road, but I had to wait for shipment of parts from Germany so I continued to drive the car and waited...with Audi's blessing in fact (they said it was OK to drive). The cars are driveable with low shock pressure, you just have to use common sense and not push the intended limits of the design until it's fixed.

Now maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe there are cases of wrecked RS6s or injuries laying at Audi's doorstep due to non-working reactive suspensions. In fact with all the DRC failures going around, I've never heard of a single case like that. This would have been addressed in a much more timely manor and in a completely different way (ie. safety recall) if that were happening. We all know Audi is more than familiar with safety issues and recalls, and if they (or their lawyers) had the slightest worry that driving the car was a threat to anyone, they'd have been all over this a long time ago. That fact alone may be the main reason we have been waiting so long.
There are probably more than a few owners out there with failed systems who've never read a BB, don't know what DRC does or even is, and are content with their cars because they don't know the difference and can't tell something is amiss. IMO, calling this a "dangerous" situation is a little dramatic.

SAF
March 5th, 2009, 20:49
True enough, the car will not perform or react as intended with this failure being the weak link in the chain. And that would be exemplified during emergency reactions. Thankfully that situation doesn't seem to have presented itself to the level you might see in a lesser quality vehicle. I remember how differently I drove mine once the system was down, not only for performance reasons but also worrying about what unintended parts of the car were taking the added stresses that are normally not there when all things are working as they should be.

DHall1
March 5th, 2009, 21:22
Yes, if we all understand this situation they we can each make an informed decision as to if we even take the car out of the garage.

Again, I thank Audi for stepping up to the rescue of the RS in the USA. Audi did it for very specific reasons and this whole thing almost got swept under the rug. So, whatever the reason....exposure to potential suits, doing things right or just the economy of having to pay for repeated DRC failures. I hope the new shocks do indeed fix the problem because I enjoy the car so much with the DRC completely intact. It should last more than 30k miles. Either way...I was prepaired to stick Audi/Fidelity with DRC repairs every month if I had to. 6,000 a pop does get quite expensive if you have keep repeating the process every 6 months. :mech:

True enough, the car will not perform or react as intended with this failure being the weak link in the chain. And that would be exemplified during emergency reactions. Thankfully that situation doesn't seem to have presented itself to the level you might see in a lesser quality vehicle. I remember how differently I drove mine once the system was down, not only for performance reasons but also worrying about what unintended parts of the car were taking the added stresses that are normally not there when all things are working as they should be.

Hy Octane
March 6th, 2009, 00:46
To be honest, I'm more pissed off about the miles/years wasted not being able to enjoy this car the way I could for the first years or so after I got it new. Its never been close since and as a result, my driving enthusiasm and style have softened back to the middle .... the multiple episodes of downtime and disappointment each and every time a fix was attempted and failed have taken their toll. I am hopeful that they have kept the ride firm and rebound-less as it was new and not softened it up for longevity reasons...but i'll never get back the prime years/mileage of the car under warranty to enjoy the way I had intended.

DHall1
March 6th, 2009, 15:36
This pretty much answers my questions.

http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?p=155258#post155258

I understand that new/old design shocks could fail. I would also say if you have a dangerous vehicle to drive on the roads right now what other choice do you have?

If I pull into an Audi dealer with Audi/Fidelity coverage and failed suspension components that are covered by my policy. Do you think the Audi dealer would tell me to wait 6 months for a safety repair to my suspension? Let me go call some friends at Kutak/Rock. I mean really, I dont think a repair can be refused at this point. New or old design struts....a working system should be installed on the above said vehicle.

If Audi were that stupid to try that.....I can guarantee a complete bail out of Audi vehicles by RS owners. I take suspension safety on the roads as a top reason why I choose Audi. If Audi does not care to address a dangerous setting of suspension without any alternative. Audi will loose. Every time. Waiting 6 months for a safety issue while telling owners to drive the vehicle is a sure fire way to disaster. There must be a plan to make repairs to vehicles during this waiting period. I dont care if its old design struts. You cant let dangerous suspension systems drive down the roads.

Driving a dangerous vehicle 6 months is not an option. I have the Audi/Fidelity coverage to warranty a DRC repair now. Not 6 months from now. Deny that claim, I will install KW struts and place my call to Kutak/Rock. End of story.

Thinking about it....the RS4 people didnt even beat around the bush. They took the leaking DRC struts and threw them in the garbage. I bet you those guys are causing quite a stirr over there and Audi has its hands full. Heck, Audi cant give away RS4s. I wonder why.

DuckWingDuck
March 6th, 2009, 16:05
Well, then that means I've got a set of slightly used KW V3s that I need to sell :D