PDA

View Full Version : Newer owner, impressoins and issues

Brav
February 26th, 2009, 22:06
Hey guys. I thought I would formally introduce myself instead of tagging on other threads. I also had the pleasure of meeting DuckWingDuck the other night :) Good to meet you.

I picked up my Daytona Gray RS6 a bit over a week ago. So far I love it. It was a great buy, 1 owner car, needs very little to be perfect. I have owned several other 400-500hp + cars, and I am still impressed with this "old" car. I really wanted a fun, comfortable 4 door that actually had a decent back seat, and there really is nothing else that beats this car for that purpose. E class and 5 series have worse legroom in rear. I hate having to scoot up for passengers! (I'm 6'4). For now the car is stock, but I have plans for KW coilovers, 1pc forged wheels, a custom spoiler and diffuser from Vorsteiner, all red tail lights, RNS-E and some type of tuning.

I've owned an M3, M6, stage 3 S4, 360, and still have my Noble M12 @ 500hp. I really love the RS6 for what it was supposed to be.

The issues I am having:

coolant smell (no visible leak)
Front driver seat loose (knocks and moves forward on hard braking)
Trans sometimes has trouble finding 4th smoothly (throttle dip)

Are these common issues or am I on my own?

Also, for you so cal guys, there is a big meet on March 7 (room for 400 cars) at the Oakley headquarters for their partnership with Vorsteiner. There will be some fun cars.. CLK DTM, Veyron, the new Vorsteiner 997TT, and other goodies. Free In-n-Out, starbucks, free giveaways, etc. I am trying to gather interest in a few carbon parts for the RS6, so come out and help me persuade them !!

Here is a link to the info.
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?p=154378#post154378

terrytcl
February 26th, 2009, 22:16
The issues I am having:

coolant smell (no visible leak)
Front driver seat loose (knocks and moves forward on hard braking)
Trans sometimes has trouble finding 4th smoothly (throttle dip)

where is that smell coming from? engine or interior?

i think someone here posted on how to fix the rocking seat. you may also want to search for "rocking" on this forum as well as audiworld.

how many miles are on your rs6? try getting the tranny filter and fluid changed.

Brav
February 26th, 2009, 22:17
where is that smell coming from? engine or interior?

i think someone here posted on how to fix the rocking seat. you may also want to search for "rocking" on this forum as well as audiworld.

how many miles are on your rs6? try getting the tranny filter and fluid changed.

Alright I'll search, thanks. The smell is coming from the front of the car, thank god. Not the heater core. Probably a bad hose, hopefully not a radiator.

98,000 miles. In last 4000, the DRC and Torque converter were done so the tranny should have all new fluids and filters.

terrytcl
February 26th, 2009, 22:38
Alright I'll search, thanks. The smell is coming from the front of the car, thank god. Not the heater core. Probably a bad hose, hopefully not a radiator.

98,000 miles. In last 4000, the DRC and Torque converter were done so the tranny should have all new fluids and filters.

any coolant on the ground where you've been parked?
i think the smell might be from when they did the torque converter fix. maybe they had to disconnect a coolant line and got some coolant on some parts.

any check engine light? how about going into 4th gear manually?

Brav
February 26th, 2009, 23:25
any coolant on the ground where you've been parked?
i think the smell might be from when they did the torque converter fix. maybe they had to disconnect a coolant line and got some coolant on some parts.

any check engine light? how about going into 4th gear manually?

No CEL. No puddle. just the smell..

Any residual coolant from the tranny should have burnt off or evaporated, unless a line wasnt put back right and its leaking.

The shifting is fine, it just seems like it slightly hesitates at times under lgiht acceleration. WOT is fine.

ALSO one more question.. will the older all-red tail lights fit the RS6?

DuckWingDuck
February 27th, 2009, 00:03
damn, I thought the rocking thing was just unique to my seat! Time to hit that search button.

On the tail lights, I believe on that generation, it's a shared part. And def. a pleasure to meet you as well!

Brav
February 27th, 2009, 00:08
damn, I thought the rocking thing was just unique to my seat! Time to hit that search button.

On the tail lights, I believe on that generation, it's a shared part. And def. a pleasure to meet you as well!

Good deal on the tail lights. Thanks.

I searched "rocking" and got nothing on seats.. just DRC! *surprise*

DHall1
February 27th, 2009, 02:26
What about the Hella tinted tail lights? They look great on Daytona.

Good deal on the tail lights. Thanks.

I searched "rocking" and got nothing on seats.. just DRC! *surprise*

LIRS6
February 27th, 2009, 02:51
In last 4000, the DRC and Torque converter were done so the tranny should have all new fluids and filters.

Is that correct - if the torque converter is replaced, then the tranny fluid and filter would be changed as well?

Brav
February 27th, 2009, 04:16
What about the Hella tinted tail lights? They look great on Daytona.

Not a fan of tinted lights.

terrytcl
February 27th, 2009, 04:20
Is that correct - if the torque converter is replaced, then the tranny fluid and filter would be changed as well?

depends... although, the proper way would be to replace the filter and fluid. even if you don't replace the filter, you'd still have to check fluid level in the tranny as the old torque converter would've held a couple quarts of fluid upon removal.

terrytcl
February 27th, 2009, 04:24
No CEL. No puddle. just the smell..

Any residual coolant from the tranny should have burnt off or evaporated, unless a line wasnt put back right and its leaking.

The shifting is fine, it just seems like it slightly hesitates at times under lgiht acceleration. WOT is fine.

ALSO one more question.. will the older all-red tail lights fit the RS6?

i would drive the car around until the coolant temp comes up to normal... then park and open the hood. check and see if you see any light smoke. most likely, it's just residue. you might also want to remove the lower belly pan and see if you can find any coolant drops.

the TCU might still be learning after the new TC

DHall1
February 27th, 2009, 05:10
I was not either. My RS6 had them installed and I took a close look at them.

Hella=OEM spec
The smoked lens is not a film covering its actually the lens
The light output is not tinted/there is a neat prism effect that lets all the light output shine directly to the rear but the sides are smoked glass.

Kinda cool.

Not a fan of tinted lights.

p3u
February 27th, 2009, 05:41
Here is a good comparison pic, mine on left, friends on right. Lights are all on in the pics, otherwise it looks gray when off.

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/94164/rs6_5.jpg

allwheelsdriven
February 27th, 2009, 15:35
nice pic...looks like he's running conti extremecontacts are those working for him?

terrytcl
February 27th, 2009, 16:03
nice pic...looks like he's running conti extremecontacts are those working for him?

extermecontacts are great tires. great all season tires.
i had these on my a6 4.2... i don't think they have them in the proper size for the rs6 and load range.

p3u
February 27th, 2009, 16:09

He hasn't had any issues with them, been using since day one.

extermecontacts are great tires. great all season tires.
i had these on my a6 4.2... i don't think they have them in the proper size for the rs6 and load range.

This is what came on the car from the factory. At least on his, I don't think Audi would use tires that did not suite the vehicle.

xpl0sive
February 27th, 2009, 16:25
i use those tires as well and they are great, the only complaint is that they wear out a bit fast compared to Pirelli's... also, I have that coolant smell coming from the front of my car sometimes, only after driving for a while though, like over an hour, or driving it hard, theres a faint coolant smell when i park it. no leak under the car in my garage, so i've got no idea where its coming from, and the coolant level doesnt go down at all either...

terrytcl
February 27th, 2009, 20:12
This is what came on the car from the factory. At least on his, I don't think Audi would use tires that did not suite the vehicle.

yep, on the 4.2 a6s... but not they don't have one available for the rs6s

p3u
February 27th, 2009, 20:15
yep, on the 4.2 a6s... but not they don't have one available for the rs6s

Thats what came on his RS6, and its what they have used for all 4 sets of tires. Maybe they discontinued the tire recently.

terrytcl
February 27th, 2009, 20:19
Thats what came on his RS6, and its what they have used for all 4 sets of tires. Maybe they discontinued the tire recently.

odd, maybe... tirerack never had one listed for the rs6. when i had my 4.2, it was defnitely the tire to go with.

Brav
February 27th, 2009, 23:32
i use those tires as well and they are great, the only complaint is that they wear out a bit fast compared to Pirelli's... also, I have that coolant smell coming from the front of my car sometimes, only after driving for a while though, like over an hour, or driving it hard, theres a faint coolant smell when i park it. no leak under the car in my garage, so i've got no idea where its coming from, and the coolant level doesnt go down at all either...

All I can say is that it looks like there are Toyo T1-Rs on the smoked car, which are garbage in my opinion.. :) you will be slidin around!

And that is the exact issue I have as you describe.. no leak, nothing visible, and only after long/hard runs.

p3u
February 28th, 2009, 18:37
All I can say is that it looks like there are Toyo T1-Rs on the smoked car, which are garbage in my opinion.. :) you will be slidin around!

No one was asking about what tires I use, and no, they are not Toyo's, Good year Eagle F1 All season.

Brav
February 28th, 2009, 20:34
No one was asking about what tires I use, and no, they are not Toyo's, Good year Eagle F1 All season.

Stand corrected.

DuckWingDuck
March 1st, 2009, 01:01
Those good years are I think still the #1 rated tyres on tirerack.com. PS2 is close behind.

BTW, I've ran Toyo Proxes, they aren't bad....

p3u
March 1st, 2009, 01:13
I've been very impressed by the F1's, standard and all season. I've used them on my R32 and A6, excellent high speed cornering.

I've also used the Toyo Proxes 4, they were ok, but wore out very fast. I would get no more then ~15k miles if lucky out of them on my A6.