PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Extended Warranty Decision

Ben74
February 26th, 2009, 17:46
I found out today that the RS6 I'm looking at with 40k miles had the 35k service done at approximately 31k miles. If I purchase the vehicle, I will need to decide whether or not to purchase an extended warranty or not, which will probably add $4,000 to the initial cost of the vehicle. Let me clearly state that I absolutely hate extended warranties for any purchase. I had promised myself a long time ago that I would never buy one for any purchase, be it electronics, appliances, or cars, etc.

However, the posts here have me truly afraid of the maintenance costs of the RS6, which has me wondering if I should even buy the vehicle in the first place. It sounds to me like Audi corporate is going to be recalling the DRC systems, which means I hopefully won't have to worry about that expense in the future. What other expenses might I have to worry about? $4,000 for a warranty is a lot of money. The only true savings during the life of the warranty would be those covered repairs that occur above and beyond the $4,000 mark.

I would really appreciate any comments on the extended warranty decision, especially with the new DRC recall situation. Thanks!

Ben

DHall1
February 26th, 2009, 17:56
Ben,

The trouble spots on this car have been discussed to no end.

I would classify myself as similar to you. (never purchased extended warranty of any kind)

Until now. Dont mess with the beast. Buy the longest coverage policy poss. Personally, I have the 6yr/72k Fidelity/Audi policy.....covered till 2014 and 100k miles.

Turbos are 10,000 dollars.
Transmission is 13,000 dollars.
02 sensors (may) require you to pull the engine

Consider your exposure and act accordingly.

I found out today that the RS6 I'm looking at with 40k miles had the 35k service done at approximately 31k miles. If I purchase the vehicle, I will need to decide whether or not to purchase an extended warranty or not, which will probably add $4,000 to the initial cost of the vehicle. Let me clearly state that I absolutely hate extended warranties for any purchase. I had promised myself a long time ago that I would never buy one for any purchase, be it electronics, appliances, or cars, etc.

However, the posts here have me truly afraid of the maintenance costs of the RS6, which has me wondering if I should even buy the vehicle in the first place. It sounds to me like Audi corporate is going to be recalling the DRC systems, which means I hopefully won't have to worry about that expense in the future. What other expenses might I have to worry about? $4,000 for a warranty is a lot of money. The only true savings during the life of the warranty would be those covered repairs that occur above and beyond the $4,000 mark.

I would really appreciate any comments on the extended warranty decision, especially with the new DRC recall situation. Thanks!

Ben

allwheelsdriven
February 26th, 2009, 18:49
Yeah I dont even own one of these yet but there's no way I would buy one without an extended warranty. This car isnt a Camry or Maytag washer. There are more than enough forum posts where owners mention spending 5 figures in repair costs. That they even offer a warranty is amazing...its like insuring waterfront houses in FL

Anyway where is the car you are looking at?

SAF
February 26th, 2009, 18:57
My CPO just expired in December (I found out when I went in last week for a switch). A guy at the dealer gave me prices and a blank contract to read from Fidelity, but does anyone know if there is a mileage limit at activation? Can I pick one up with 76k miles on the car?

mmaturo
February 26th, 2009, 19:01
1000% agree. It is very quick to run up $$ on repairs. Control arms, anything with a bushing go fast (accelerated by failed or failing DRC shocks). Transmission and torque converter will go (#1 reason is the transmission...I don't know anyone thats had a turbo failure but i know of dozens of transmissions, 6 to $8K is now the going rate of a rebuilt ZF unit). My steering pump just checked out. Longer term starters are giving out. Repairs on this car with the tight packaging and rarity of parts is just way more than a normal Audi. To do anything the front bumper seems to come off and the other half of things need the engine dropped to fix them. You will make up your investment in the warranty 4 times over on this car. I am terrified as my CPO runs out in 4 months and my mileage is too high now to add on coverage. I am beginning to wish i had as my particular example has been rather prone to failures.

mmaturo
February 26th, 2009, 19:02
My CPO just expired in December (I found out when I went in last week for a switch). A guy at the dealer gave me prices and a blank contract to read from Fidelity, but does anyone know if there is a mileage limit at activation? Can I pick one up with 76k miles on the car?

Post when you find out...i have the same mileage. I heard in the 60s was the limit.

Want2byRS6
February 26th, 2009, 19:08
I had the same question, and also if living in Southern Cali if I was willing to spend $2500 on a brake job twice a year. So Cal was just given the worst traffic conditions, so we stop and go all the time.

I am not willing to buy this car W/O the Fedility. I am in the works to get an rs6 from my local dealer, but have told them the Fedility must be built into the price. They know what issues the car has, as all or most people here have had DRC or other major repairs. I was up front and am so glad I found this site so I can make a well informed purchase. I know what I am up against, but you have to remeber any 4 second car is a race car legal for the road and will need major work every so often. Ask any owner of a high end car, and they need work done almost every 3,000 miles.

You have to have a passion to own this car and be willing to take the good with the bad, and the bad is just the cost of upkeep.

John, good luck :dig:

Turboluvr
February 26th, 2009, 19:10
Ben,

I've always been of the same mind about extended warranties. I always figured that if I put the same amount of money aside in a savings account and took care of the routine stuff on my own that I would come out ahead. After much research on this car, I decided to bite the bullet and get the warranty for the added insurance against major componant failure. These are well made cars but if something goes wrong, it is catistrophic to the checkbook. That said, more miles=more expensive coverage. Get the lowest milage car possible, there are good deals to be had, and insure it with a good warranty.

mmaturo
February 26th, 2009, 19:13
I had the same question, and also if living in Southern Cali if I was willing to spend $2500 on a brake job twice a year. So Cal was just given the worst traffic conditions, so we stop and go all the time.

Good news is the brakes last longer than that (but its up to your driving style). Pads go quick but now there is cheaper options (EBC on mine now). I kill rotors at 14K intervals, pads at 7K but i also do a few track days and drive my car rather hard. City driving.

DHall1
February 26th, 2009, 20:10
No way brakes cost 2500. Screw the dealer.

Buy brand new Audi rotors online for 300ea.
Buy EBC red pads all around for 170.

Add that up and even if you had to replace all 4 rotors your looking at 1370 dollars.

It takes 2hrs to the job in your garage. No special tools.

I wish people would stop having all the worries about this and that. Its a fantastic car and quit trying to get the prices in the 20k range. Find a mint car, buy the Fidelity coverage and pay top dollar. There are no worries. I mean really, its a hand built 90,000 dollar car at 2003 standards. There were 960 units imported in the USA. That all folks, its not like the AMG thats been mass produced to such extreme levels. I dont want to bash the AMG too bad because my wife does drive one. :-) 960 units. Imported 1 time only.

I am not willing to buy this car W/O the Fedility. I am in the works to get an rs6 from my local dealer, but have told them the Fedility must be built into the price. They know what issues the car has, as all or most people here have had DRC or other major repairs. I was up front and am so glad I found this site so I can make a well informed purchase. I know what I am up against, but you have to remeber any 4 second car is a race car legal for the road and will need major work every so often. Ask any owner of a high end car, and they need work done almost every 3,000 miles.

You have to have a passion to own this car and be willing to take the good with the bad, and the bad is just the cost of upkeep.

John, good luck :dig:

terrytcl
February 26th, 2009, 20:38
No way brakes cost 2500. Screw the dealer.

Buy brand new Audi rotors online for 300ea.
Buy EBC red pads all around for 170.

Add that up and even if you had to replace all 4 rotors your looking at 1370 dollars.

It takes 2hrs to the job in your garage. No special tools.

I wish people would stop having all the worries about this and that. Its a fantastic car and quit trying to get the prices in the 20k range. Find a mint car, buy the Fidelity coverage and pay top dollar. There are no worries. I mean really, its a hand built 90,000 dollar car at 2003 standards. There were 960 units imported in the USA. That all folks, its not like the AMG thats been mass produced to such extreme levels. I dont want to bash the AMG too bad because my wife does drive one. :-) 960 units. Imported 1 time only.

AMEN!
:applause:

terrytcl
February 26th, 2009, 20:43
Ask any owner of a high end car, and they need work done almost every 3,000 miles.

that's why if you're looking to purchase a used performance luxury vehicle, you pay for it with the upkeep. if you're not willing to deal with it, buy new.

learn to do things yourself. everyone's read horror stories about how one dealership screwed up this and that... if you want it done right, do it yourself (tranny work is probably beyond most people's limits, but even that is a known fault of this vehicle...).

DuckWingDuck
February 26th, 2009, 20:44
hmm, i'm kind of ashamed to admit that i am slightly starting to think about the S8/Ferrari combination and getting rid of my rs6.....

on extended warranty, dude in OC, it's $4600 or thereabouts, built in or not it just gets parlayed into your financing.

AUDI5000CSTQ
February 26th, 2009, 21:46
The Fidelity ins does not cover maintenance, IE brakes. It does cover big ticket items well. Just had my roll over valve on the gas tank brake. There is a recall on A6 and Allroads but not our RS6's for the same problem. $2900.00 if I didn't have ins. You know the valve is broken when you fill up and there is the smell of gas and/or leaking. It is polypropylene and can't be repaired. The 60k miles should cover 2 timing belts. This is just the cost of owning the fastest 4 door sedan in America.

DHall1
February 26th, 2009, 23:19
Give us more info on the rollover valve.

Your Fidelity policy covered it?

What is involved in the repair? New gas tank?

The Fidelity ins does not cover maintenance, IE brakes. It does cover big ticket items well. Just had my roll over valve on the gas tank brake. There is a recall on A6 and Allroads but not our RS6's for the same problem. $2900.00 if I didn't have ins. You know the valve is broken when you fill up and there is the smell of gas and/or leaking. It is polypropylene and can't be repaired. The 60k miles should cover 2 timing belts. This is just the cost of owning the fastest 4 door sedan in America.

AUDI5000CSTQ
February 26th, 2009, 23:37
Hi DHall,

The roll over valve is on the top of the tank. Do a Google for Allroad recalls. Either this site or RS246 I think has a large thread on it. They tryed to patch it but it requires dropping the rear end and suspension and taking out the tank. CPO is going to cover it after this weekend run.
Will try and post photos of it, once I figure out how to post photos.

Want2byRS6
February 26th, 2009, 23:45
You are right, and thanks to the above for your post. I am in no way looking to make the rs6 out to be a bad car. As I said it is a race car, and having had a older 355, I know it can become a money pit. I expect to put $200 a month aside to keep up this car, not an issue but just know you can not get around the fact this is not beer budget car, I just am holding out because I know US economics are still looking down, and todays up and down are proof that even the wealthy are holding back. I have often been told the deals I want are never going to happen, but just wait for the right time and the right place and it will show up you never know what will come your way. Never listen to someone when it is a once in a life time buy, unless only one exist!! :hahahehe:

hmm, i'm kind of ashamed to admit that i am slightly starting to think about the S8/Ferrari combination and getting rid of my rs6.....

on extended warranty, dude in OC, it's $4600 or thereabouts, built in or not it just gets parlayed into your financing.

DuckWingDuck
February 26th, 2009, 23:58
no doubt about it man, it's like everything else, you have a budget, stick to it. This is a great car but certainly not end all and be all; don't break the bank for one, I'm convinced that the big drop has already happened and that this is pretty much where the market is but you never know. Be patient, hell, Dave was real patient when he went shopping but as soon as he saw the one that he wanted, they wrapped up the deal in 20 minutes. I was there ;)

allwheelsdriven
February 27th, 2009, 02:52
the thing that got me was several owners saying they would rather drive this than their porsche 996 turbo

DHall1
February 27th, 2009, 03:13
It will be great to see that Blue car again. This time all cleaned up and looking much better.

I think your whole situation could not have worked out better. To get such a low mileage car for so cheap. Wow

Hi DHall,

The roll over valve is on the top of the tank. Do a Google for Allroad recalls. Either this site or RS246 I think has a large thread on it. They tryed to patch it but it requires dropping the rear end and suspension and taking out the tank. CPO is going to cover it after this weekend run.
Will try and post photos of it, once I figure out how to post photos.

DHall1
February 27th, 2009, 03:19
Have I told you my story.....going back to the spring of 08. I was in the market for a 996TT. I happened to stop into a big high end dealer down in Denver. He had 6 996TTs and this one little RS6. Hmmmm, in my searching I did come across the RS and did some research on the car. But, the big problem was that I had never seen one in person let alone had driven one.

OK, this was the time to drive these things back to back. Long story short....I stopped looking for the 996TT and my RS saga started. It took 6 months to find the right one but the search was worth it. Yes, one test drive of a properly maintained RS6 and I have never looked at a 996TT again. Amazing

1 test drive is all it took.

the thing that got me was several owners saying they would rather drive this than their porsche 996 turbo

DuckWingDuck
February 27th, 2009, 06:28
993tt, 997tt > 996tt

Turboluvr
March 2nd, 2009, 18:13
I know an RS6 owner who has a 996TT w/X50 package and he says that if he could only have one car it would be the RS6.

I would be hard pressed to make that same decision between my 993TT and my RS6. They're both great cars that scratch a slightly different itch. The sound of that air/oil-cooled 3.6 behind you is unique, but the RS6 just does everything so well.

allwheelsdriven
March 2nd, 2009, 18:17
and its considerably more subtle. If I get one I want to debadge it as an Audi and just leave the RS6 badging. 5 years in STI's and I am burned out on the constant attention.

I also agree about the 993 TT being the best. The soul went away after 1996

Right now my best RS6 scenario is something in the 30,000 mile range with the services done and a warranty to 100k available or in place.

DHall1
March 3rd, 2009, 04:03
James,

I agree with the 996/X50 observation.

Take a look at the beast in action this past weekend. It was awesome!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/capfacsurf/3317718889/in/set-72157614593812182/

I know an RS6 owner who has a 996TT w/X50 package and he says that if he could only have one car it would be the RS6.

I would be hard pressed to make that same decision between my 993TT and my RS6. They're both great cars that scratch a slightly different itch. The sound of that air/oil-cooled 3.6 behind you is unique, but the RS6 just does everything so well.

troyjgaspard
March 4th, 2009, 18:20
i dont know why u guys are paying so much i have a red misano 2003 rs6 with 40,000 miles on it and only payed 2800 dollars for a fidelity extended warranty from my audi dealer in houston texas..can someone tell me if u sell a car with a few years of extended warranty still left on it will they give u money back for the renmaining warranty still available on it??

DHall1
March 4th, 2009, 20:11
Fidelity will refund thru the selling dealer only.

Fidelity plans really start going up after you cross 40k miles.

i dont know why u guys are paying so much i have a red misano 2003 rs6 with 40,000 miles on it and only payed 2800 dollars for a fidelity extended warranty from my audi dealer in houston texas..can someone tell me if u sell a car with a few years of extended warranty still left on it will they give u money back for the renmaining warranty still available on it??

BenA
March 31st, 2009, 21:49
I'm a new RS6 owner (just traded "way" up from the A6 4.2) -- I've been searching th forum and had an additional extended warranty question. There's no question that I'm going to get one, but is it something I should "shop" for between my local Audi dealer and other dealers and online? Do prices for the same Fidelity packages differ significantly for the same car depending on where I get it quoted? Thanks in advance for any help... my car is currently in transit, and the DRC was just replaced before I bought it, but I still don't want to drive it too far without the extended coverage.

DHall1
March 31st, 2009, 22:01
Congrats on your purchase. Which RS6 did you buy?

Your shopping should be centered on Audi dealers and Fidelity. The other dealers may sell Fidelity policies but you might have to service at that dealer. Ie the MB dealer or Chrysler dealer.

I'm a new RS6 owner (just traded "way" up from the A6 4.2) -- I've been searching th forum and had an additional extended warranty question. There's no question that I'm going to get one, but is it something I should "shop" for between my local Audi dealer and other dealers and online? Do prices for the same Fidelity packages differ significantly for the same car depending on where I get it quoted? Thanks in advance for any help... my car is currently in transit, and the DRC was just replaced before I bought it, but I still don't want to drive it too far without the extended coverage.

GEN XER
March 31st, 2009, 22:46
Post when you find out...i have the same mileage. I heard in the 60s was the limit.

I got a 4/48 fidelity warranty with 62K on mine. If you need the number to who I got it from let me know, she may be able to help you.