PDA

View Full Version : future role of TT RS engine?

RXBG
February 24th, 2009, 02:54
rumors abound about this. it is in transverse employment now, but how hard would it be to turn it 90 degrees?

goes without saying that it could well be used for a lower end TT/A3/S3 in a detuned state, but that would be the end of its employment in the transverse position. more interestingly, i wonder what potential it has if it can placed in the A4 range---- could it soon replace the top A4/5 engine, the venerable 3.2 FSI? that engine makes 265 hp now, in a detuned state it could make the A4 a screamer- at 290 or so- that is IF the S4 engine isn't uprated to 350 before the end of its lifecycle- if so, it could yield an easy 300 hp and give great mileage to boot! thinking further, wouldn't it be possible to kick this engine into the balls-to-the-wall category by blowing it to 400 or 450 hp? might it not be possible to put this engine in the next RS4/5? with its extremely light weight and a torque reading of 400 lb/ft.....yikes....

chewym
February 24th, 2009, 05:31
I am not sure if it's extremely light weight. I think it has an iron block. The engine makes little sense for the A4 as you might as well go with a detuned S4 engine. Of course that does create a weird situation. And Audi most likely didn't pick the 2.5 for S4 duty because it has less refinement so A4 duty is probably out of the picture as well.

Audi never does engines that rely way too much on turbo boost, it doesn't go along with their style so 340 sounds about the top.

Can't really see where this engine would be placed, but it would be reasonable to put an engine in more than one car. The 3.0T is finding its place in many Audi/VW/Porsche models.

Leadfoot
February 24th, 2009, 12:20
If Kerso has seen the entire specs for this engine then maybe he is better placed to answer that question. I really doubt that this engine's swan song in the TT/RS.

It's logical to expect it making it's way into numerous cars, including some Porsche applications. The sheer note it makes means it's a must have addition to any performance Audi lineup, it has a very unique 'Quattro' beat that wouldn't be out of place beating the tracks of some forest stage. :incar:

Few engine notes have stirred my blood as quickly as this has, maybe my years on cold damp winter rally stages waiting to heard the unique note of the S1 coming in the distance has something to do with it but for me at least you can keep your Ferrari V8s, this is the sound I want to listen to. :bow:

KresoF1
February 24th, 2009, 13:37
TT RS engine is not an small engine. Also, it is not very light engine(weight). Usage will be somehow limited-one or maybe two models... No more.

When you see full specs you will know what I am talking about. One thing-that engine is little bit too long for usage in A4 or A5. Other thing is German word called Laufkultur... Or lets translate it to good old English as Mechanical smoothness... R5 is here not any better then very good R4. We need to see(and feel) how much vibrations is new TT RS engine producing. My info said that S4 engine offers better Laufkultur then TT RS engine. And S4 engine is not nearly good in Laufkultur as good old 4.2 FSI in current S5 Coupe...

RXBG
February 24th, 2009, 14:08
this "laufkultur" is basically the NVH issue- noise vibration harshness- naturally, the bigger the engine and the less force induced it is the smoother it is. the new A4 bay is big enough to accommodate a V8, no reason it can't fit this engine.

KresoF1
February 24th, 2009, 14:11
this "laufkultur" is basically the NVH issue- noise vibration harshness- naturally, the bigger the engine and the less force induced it is the smoother it is. the new A4 bay is big enough to accommodate a V8, no reason it can't fit this engine.

V8 is shorter overall then R5. R5 is as long as 5.2 FSI V10. Problem is lenght...

Tanner
February 24th, 2009, 15:48
Call me crazy or not, but I'd love to see this in the next RS4..... oh that sound.

Phage
February 24th, 2009, 17:33
żGolf R25?

Leadfoot
February 25th, 2009, 11:21
żGolf R25?

I doubt that model will ever happen. There's a much bigger chance of a RS3 than an even more expensive Golf.

No if this engine goes anywhere it will be to a Mid-engine future sportscar, possibly a join venture by Audi and Porsche and possibly a Porsche version of the next A3. That I believe is highly likely given Porsche's increased drive to move into newer markets.

Phage
February 25th, 2009, 12:15
I doubt that model will ever happen. There's a much bigger chance of a RS3 than an even more expensive Golf.

No if this engine goes anywhere it will be to a Mid-engine future sportscar, possibly a join venture by Audi and Porsche and possibly a Porsche version of the next A3. That I believe is highly likely given Porsche's increased drive to move into newer markets.

Downtuned version with somewhere in between 250 and 300 hp seems like a pretty good replacement of the r32.
Don't see why it would need to be more expensive then the r32.

RS3 would be great in my opinion. But why haven't they done it before?
Big chance it would be a new S3 with the 2.5t if you look at the A3 history.

KresoF1
February 25th, 2009, 12:29
Replacement for Golf R32 V will be new Golf R20 VI with 270ps 2.0TSI. That is aready decided.

Leadfoot
February 25th, 2009, 12:35
And the R20 will already be priced at the £25k mark or in other words the same as the old R32.

If the TT/S and new GTI are anything to go by then the R20 will be exceptional.

Phage
February 25th, 2009, 12:43
Replacement for Golf R32 V will be new Golf R20 VI with 270ps 2.0TSI. That is aready decided.

Ok R25 is out of the question then :hihi:

Have any of you heard any rumours about a possible RS3?

Marv
February 25th, 2009, 13:53
What about Passat? That's transverse layout right? R5 must have better economy/emissions than R36. Oh and that noise! Love it.