PDA

View Full Version : Another Brake Pad For the RS6

GEN XER
February 20th, 2009, 23:24
Below is the a conversation between the owner of Zeckhausen Racing and the Co-owners of Centric Parts and there encounter with Pagid pads. It turns out the little pins in the pads are call pad retention pins and they just dont need to be there.

http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=44_707_708

Willie,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I finally had a chance to discuss this pad problem with the co-owners of Centric Parts. They both drive 2007 Audi RS4s, which use the same Pagid pads from Audi as the RS6. I asked Dan if he was aware of this issue and he went straight out to the parking lot to check his car. He came back to report his rotors were toast! He then checked with his partner Dino and discovered he had swapped to the Centric Posi Quiet pads a long time ago. Dan plans to install a set of Centric Posi Quiet pads this weekend. He'll probably end up replacing his rotors too. It's unfortunate I didn't know about this sooner so I could have warned him in time.

The Centric Posi Quiet pads do NOT use the same pad retention pins as the Pagid pads. So you can run the Centric pads all the way down to the bone without damaging your rotors. And they drop right into the 8-piston calipers without having to use a Dremel tool on the backing plates.

Dave

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 270px; HEIGHT: 109px" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>David Zeckhausen
President, Zeckhausen Racing
(800)222-8893
www.zeckhausen.com (http://www.zeckhausen.com)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

DHall1
February 21st, 2009, 06:14
Glad to see the news getting around.

Pagid=junk for long term use. Rotor eaters and those pins are just plain nuts.

Below is the a conversation between the owner of Zeckhausen Racing and the Co-owners of Centric Parts and there encounter with Pagid pads. It turns out the little pins in the pads are call pad retention pins and they just dont need to be there.

http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=44_707_708

Willie,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I finally had a chance to discuss this pad problem with the co-owners of Centric Parts. They both drive 2007 Audi RS4s, which use the same Pagid pads from Audi as the RS6. I asked Dan if he was aware of this issue and he went straight out to the parking lot to check his car. He came back to report his rotors were toast! He then checked with his partner Dino and discovered he had swapped to the Centric Posi Quiet pads a long time ago. Dan plans to install a set of Centric Posi Quiet pads this weekend. He'll probably end up replacing his rotors too. It's unfortunate I didn't know about this sooner so I could have warned him in time.

The Centric Posi Quiet pads do NOT use the same pad retention pins as the Pagid pads. So you can run the Centric pads all the way down to the bone without damaging your rotors. And they drop right into the 8-piston calipers without having to use a Dremel tool on the backing plates.

Dave

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 270px; HEIGHT: 109px" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>David Zeckhausen
President, Zeckhausen Racing
(800)222-8893
www.zeckhausen.com (http://www.zeckhausen.com)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Aronis
February 22nd, 2009, 14:04
I changed my brakes a few weeks after the light came on.

I was told last time by the dealer that I had perhaps 15,000 miles after the light came on! Maybe he said 1,500 ( I forget, of course that would make more sense LOL).

The rears were more worn, but no pins are visible. I am going to cut down the old fronts to see these pins....

Mike

Dutch RS6
February 24th, 2009, 18:23
i think will order a set and try them out.

arS6
February 24th, 2009, 19:08
Does anyone know if the EBC have the same pins? Most of us order a set of those before the price hike.

DuckWingDuck
February 24th, 2009, 19:09
but what about dusting!!!

arS6
February 24th, 2009, 19:16
Who cares about dusting when you can save your $800 rotors!

DuckWingDuck
February 24th, 2009, 20:16
well, i use ebc, so i'm already saving the rotors ;) but if there's another option that produces less dusting.

arS6
February 24th, 2009, 20:29
so does the EBD have the same retention pins???

DuckWingDuck
February 24th, 2009, 22:52
EBC you mean? And no. As far as i'm aware, only the oem pagid pads have them.

GEN XER
February 25th, 2009, 01:08
Neither the EBC nor the Centrics have the rentention pins. I used the centrics on my SRT8, same pad formulation according to Zeckhausen, they stopped like stock but you have to drive a long time to get enough dust to want to wash the wheels. I could go a month without having to wash the wheels with centrics where with oe pads as soon as you washed your wheels they were dirty, even worse than the RS6.

peiserg
February 25th, 2009, 01:09
per my tech, the pins are brass and softer than the rotor, so there is no probloem with the pins eating the rotor.

GEN XER
February 25th, 2009, 01:15
per my tech, the pins are brass and softer than the rotor, so there is no probloem with the pins eating the rotor.

That may have been the rational behind it but somebody at R&D misfired somewhere. Yes brass is softer than steel but what happen when you add heat and rotational mass and other factors like the force the pads put on the rotors when they are applied under stress and so on. It kinda reminds me of the DRC, it started out with good intentions but look at it now. The really sad thing is they keep making them this way.

arS6
February 25th, 2009, 01:20

I beg to differ. Just look at all our rotors. They're toast! I can clearly see the groves that the pins left on it.

Yellow RS6
February 25th, 2009, 15:10
Great info, thanks! These sound really good - $140, low dust, and drop-in fit.

mmaturo
February 25th, 2009, 17:49
Does anyone know if the EBC have the same pins? Most of us order a set of those before the price hike.

No pins...i've had several sets and just put my new reds on that i bought through the link to the old price a few weeks ago. Already enjoying no squeaking.

DHall1
February 25th, 2009, 18:55
+1

I liked the EBC reds so much I purchased another set at the lower link price. Partsbin sent me a 30 dollar gift cert and I got the second set for

$173 dollars shipped.

Yes, thats all 4 corners.

No pins...i've had several sets and just put my new reds on that i bought through the link to the old price a few weeks ago. Already enjoying no squeaking.

GEN XER
February 27th, 2009, 16:22
Well Im going to order my Posi Quiets pads today. When they come in Ill take pics and post up.

GEN XER
March 4th, 2009, 01:22
Got my Posi-Quiet pads today from Zeckhausen. From what I remember from looking at the padgid pad, this pad will drop right in. Ill get some pics up shortly.

GEN XER
March 4th, 2009, 13:05
Nice addition to his site.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Audi/RS6.htm

GEN XER
May 3rd, 2009, 18:24
I got the Posi-Quiets on still bedding but they are starting to bite better. I will report back when I have a few hundred more miles on them. What I can tell you now is they did not require any modding to fit.

DHall1
May 3rd, 2009, 19:18
I love the net. Not long after my thread for these pins in the stock pads....then boom the news catches fire and vendors teach even more consumers. I like it.

I think they even used one of my pics and chopped all the background. Haha

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17594&highlight=stock+brake+pads

Good threads that spread the news only teach others.

These cars will live on properly if we educate one and all.

:bow: Thanks to RS6.com and Erik!

Nice addition to his site.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Audi/RS6.htm

GEN XER
May 3rd, 2009, 21:19
Yes the net is an awesome tool when used for good purposes.

Spidercat
May 4th, 2009, 20:50
I got the Posi-Quiets on still bedding but they are starting to bite better.

Starting to bite better? Does this mean better than before, or better than stock?
I got a set a while ago but still haven't put them on yet.
Do they feel same/better/worse than stock right now? Or can you even tell?

If they aren't at least as good as stock I may go with the EBCs and just break out the Dremel.

GEN XER
May 5th, 2009, 02:56
Starting to bite better? Does this mean better than before, or better than stock?
I got a set a while ago but still haven't put them on yet.
Do they feel same/better/worse than stock right now? Or can you even tell?

If they aren't at least as good as stock I may go with the EBCs and just break out the Dremel.

Yes they feel great. I just have new rotors and my braking was really soft and I had to give it a lot of pedal to get it to stop. I have not been able to get a good bedding yet to transfer a good amount of pad material to the rotors, but whenever I stop I make sure I stop heavy and now after a few miles they are biting the rotors better. I dont even have 250 miles yet so its going to take me a few more miles to get the rotors properly broke-in to make the determination of which pads are better.

Spidercat
May 5th, 2009, 06:15
Gotcha :0:!

How 'bout the dust? Please tell me they live up to the hype! I'm 1 step away from getting gunmetal grey wheels just so I don't have to deal with it!

DHall1
May 5th, 2009, 06:29
Willie,

I am alittle worried about those pads.

My EBC reds were ready to go in 50 miles. I bedded them once after 50 miles and took the car to California for the run. It was perfect brakes would peel the skin off of Joan Rivers face.

:hahahehe:

Yes they feel great. I just have new rotors and my braking was really soft and I had to give it a lot of pedal to get it to stop. I have not been able to get a good bedding yet to transfer a good amount of pad material to the rotors, but whenever I stop I make sure I stop heavy and now after a few miles they are biting the rotors better. I dont even have 250 miles yet so its going to take me a few more miles to get the rotors properly broke-in to make the determination of which pads are better.

mmaturo
May 5th, 2009, 17:46
Willie,

I am alittle worried about those pads.

My EBC reds were ready to go in 50 miles. I bedded them once after 50 miles and took the car to California for the run. It was perfect brakes would peel the skin off of Joan Rivers face.

:hahahehe:

I agree, my EBCs bedded immediately (same with previous sets), they were set after my 1hr drive back home from the shop with a few bedding runs down an industrial road. They feel as strong as OEM, less noise by far, on dust it is less but i got dark wheels so i don't care as much there.

DHall1
May 5th, 2009, 17:58
Willie,

The notes from Mark below are my EXACT same conditions. The EBC Reds feel just like the stock on braking power and feel but have tons less dust, cost 1/4 the price and dont squeel like a pig.

I agree, my EBCs bedded immediately (same with previous sets), they were set after my 1hr drive back home from the shop with a few bedding runs down an industrial road. They feel as strong as OEM, less noise by far, on dust it is less but i got dark wheels so i don't care as much there.

GEN XER
May 6th, 2009, 04:51
I have not bedded the brakes yet. I can only get one or two good hard brakes before I'm at a light or in traffic. I will find space somewhere to get one in. Even w/o bedding they are doing great. Very low dust.

GEN XER
May 10th, 2009, 17:42
Got a good bed in Friday. I had the brakes working very hard. I went about 10 cycles of 50-60mph back to 5-10mph under very heavy braking, then I drove around for 10 mins without stopping to let the brakes cool. I see the brake material on the rotors now and they really bite now. I dont think the initial touch of the pedal is a jarring as before, but they perform as good as OE under heavy braking. I will do another bedding in a couple weeks, because this is a high performance system and it usually takes a couple of good beddings to do the job.

Dutch RS6
July 14th, 2009, 13:03
i also have purchased de posi's and fitted them, after 600 km's they are working as good as oem's. dust is less.

GEN XER
July 14th, 2009, 16:49
Yeah I dont have any issues with mine either? I have over 1000 miles on the pads and rotors now and they have married up well.

Yellow RS6
July 14th, 2009, 17:33
Here's a site I found with good prices: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2003/audi/rs6/brake/brake_pad_set.html

I've never heard of any of these brands, but at the bottom of the page they have Textar listed as OEM for rears and TRW as OEM fronts. I wonder if these have the stupid brass pins like the Pagids?

kingofnyc22
August 13th, 2009, 03:28
Ordered Posi-Quet. So will see how good they are compare to red box.

GEN XER
August 18th, 2009, 00:48
I love being able to drive two weeks or more without significant break dust build up.

Yellow RS6
September 18th, 2009, 18:36
I just ordered the posi's from Zeckhausen on Wed and they are arriving today. Unfortunately, for me, I just found this a couple hours ago: http://www.theautopartsshop.com/Auto+Car-USA+Parts+Brand/Audi+RS6+Disc-Brake-Pad+Centric.html

$123 for a full set of pads! I could have saved $70 for the exact same parts. Oh well, I still want to post it in case others are considering these pads.

DonS
September 18th, 2009, 20:24
Oh wow, thanks Yellow RS6. I'm grabbing a set just to eliminate the brake dust and mild squeal. I'll be doing pads on both the 911 and RS6 in a couple of weeks. Again, thanks for the heads-up!

Yellow RS6
September 18th, 2009, 20:33
Oh wow, thanks Yellow RS6. I'm grabbing a set just to eliminate the brake dust and mild squeal. I'll be doing pads on both the 911 and RS6 in a couple of weeks. Again, thanks for the heads-up!

No problem, that's why I posted it. I missed out this time, but no reason not to pass the info on to others :)

Hey, getting a set just to eliminate brake dust is a good enough reason! I wish I had gotten these 6 months ago and not had dirty front wheels every few days (if they stayed clean a full week, it was a miracle -lol), but it always seemed like someone was about to buy my car, so I didn't bother. Can't wait to get them on now though!

Rez0n8r
September 20th, 2009, 00:54
I've also gotten a set of these centric pads. Is there a DIY article for how to change the pads (and rotors) on an RS6? I'm pretty handy in the garage but this is a job I haven't attempted before. Is it worth changing out the lines for stainless as I've seen others have done at the same time?

SAF
September 20th, 2009, 03:37
The notes from Mark below are my EXACT same conditions. The EBC Reds feel just like the stock on braking power and feel but have tons less dust, cost 1/4 the price and dont squeel like a pig.

Second !

DHall1
September 21st, 2009, 04:25
Search is your friend

I've also gotten a set of these centric pads. Is there a DIY article for how to change the pads (and rotors) on an RS6? I'm pretty handy in the garage but this is a job I haven't attempted before. Is it worth changing out the lines for stainless as I've seen others have done at the same time?

kingofnyc22
September 21st, 2009, 17:32
I installed the centric pads a few days ago and like it so far. My redstuff were cuasing vibration when braking so had to toss them out. Still need to brake them in but they are good.

Yellow RS6
September 21st, 2009, 21:25
I got the Centrics installed yesterday, and they feel awesome! I know dhall raves about the RS brakes, but I didn't totally agree before. I know they could stop the car very well (especially considering its mass), but the feel sucked. I would press the pedal and get about 2 inches of mush with no braking, then, rather abruptly, they would grab and haul the car down. Now it's firm right away when you press and it stops RIGHT NOW. Loving 'em so far!

The box says no break-in required, but I did a few hard stops after they were installed just to be sure.

Spidercat
October 28th, 2009, 21:15
Had the Centric Posi-Quiets for about 2-3 weeks now w/new discs and Phaeton ducts. Bedded them in one night last weekend per usual brake company recs (rapid 60-5mph stops x 10, then drive w/o stopping x 15mins). Didn't really like them at first since they didn't have the initial "bite" that the previous OEMs had, obviously because they were brand new pads/rotors. Now, they feel equivalent to OEM, but NO brake dust. I went two weeks without washing my car (for shame!), and still almost no dust (just normal road grime). Use to be 1-2 day max before wheels got noticebly dirty. They are quiet, too, but I never had a problem with this.
Overall, I'm satisfied, in that they feel alright, but the dust is now gone. I may go to something more aggressive next time (maybe something from Hawk or Pagid grey or black, though, and see how much better they grab vs living with increased noise & dust.

GEN XER
October 29th, 2009, 00:54
I won't use any other pad except Posi's unless I were racing of course. I have these pads on all my vehicles. I wonder if they make pads for bikes. Ill have to check into it. I just sold my SRT8 and they had them too.

Spidercat
November 9th, 2009, 22:00
OK, so these pads are starting to grow on me now!

Washed the car last night, and the wheels had like NO dust. Zero. Didn't even have to break out the wheel cleaner spray for the first time, ever! Just used the leftover soapy water in the wash-bucket, and they cleaned up in no time flat. I used to go through a bottle of the stuff every couple months between our two cars. Plus I hate using it, as it seems to strip the deposited pad material off the rotors (as well as the wheels), and I also like my eyes.

They seem to be biting a little better just over the last week (maybe thanks to another bedding?). At least as good as OEM, NO dust, cheaper, and don't ruin the rotors- just what I wanted. Thanks again for the tip!

GEN XER
November 9th, 2009, 22:44
Hey not a problem thats why we are here. I have a polish that I want to introduce to the forum but I want Erik's approval first. It is an Acrylic polish and it restores clean and protects every surface on the vehicle except the carpet and cloth. I have gotten the guy who imports it to reduce the price by $5 for us forum folks. If you take the time to remove your tires and polish them inside and out, with the low dust from the Centric pads the brake dust will just come right of with a little pressure from the water hose.

portos
November 11th, 2009, 12:35
I just ordered the posi's from Zeckhausen on Wed and they are arriving today. Unfortunately, for me, I just found this a couple hours ago: http://www.theautopartsshop.com/Auto+Car-USA+Parts+Brand/Audi+RS6+Disc-Brake-Pad+Centric.html

$123 for a full set of pads! I could have saved $70 for the exact same parts. Oh well, I still want to post it in case others are considering these pads.

Maybe I'm just being a newbie and not American, but I cannot understand those markings on that page. Which ones are the pads for the RS6? There are several different front pads with different numbers and all. And is that the price per pad or per set of pads? Set of pads per brake, or axel?

Yellow RS6
November 11th, 2009, 13:57
They added more Centric pads, it's confusing to me too -lol. It looks like the ones I ordered have the part #CE104 and have in the description "POSI-QUIET METALLIC BRAKE PADS WITH SHIMS. ."

You only need one front and one rear set. So $120 for new pads!

It looks like Zeckhausen has added a bunch more RS6 pads also: http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=44_707_708