PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Mount Radar Detector/Alt. Front License Location

topcat_92
February 20th, 2009, 20:42
I purchased my RS6 in Dec from out of state, and in WA, I am required to have a front license plate. I asked the dealer to mount it for me, since I didn't want to risk putting it in crooked or incorrectly.

They found that there is a radar detector mounted behind the bumper.

A couple of questions I need help with:
1) With all of the intakes on the RS6, is there an alternate license plate location on the front of the car that won't impact airflow to the engine/etc.?
2) Not knowing anything about integral radar systems, how do you suppose I activate the systems? I haven't noticed any non-stock buttons or controls.

Thanks for your help.

DuckWingDuck
February 20th, 2009, 23:31
looks like the previous owner had a hardwire mounted detector but when he sold the car he pulled out the control unit but left in the detector. Check your glove box? But I doubt you have a functioning system at this point, just a non-operative detector. Let me snap some pics for you when I get back to LA tomorrow.

topcat_92
February 20th, 2009, 23:46
Thanks, I look forward to seeing the pictures. Are there any feasible alternate license plate locations on the RS6?

DuckWingDuck
February 21st, 2009, 01:40
honestly, not really but I am having a hard time imagining why your front plate would have a problem though.... let me think about it and get back to you.

Copper
February 21st, 2009, 20:27
Take a look under there and let me know if it is a about a 3"x4" metal box with a rubber gasket/wire coming out of it. If so, you may have one in the rear bumper as well. 90% sure you have the K-40 system.

There is no benefit to removing the control unit which is just a simple dial with on/off, city/highway and volume... no "brains" in the control box. It is 1"x1" and black with a dial out the front. Mine is located right under the steering wheel on the little shelf where the owner's manual is supposed to fit. The money is in the detector boxes in the bumpers. They are about $450 each. I just replaced a bad one in my rear bumper. More than likely the unit is just turned off. Do you see (2) little red LED lights in your console anywhere? Usually they mount them in one of the dummy buttons between the ESC button. This is a very, very good system. K-40 has the patent on the true separate front/rear radar system. Valentine one uses a mirror to reflect the forward sensors to detect radar from the rear.

K-40 also has a really nice laser jammer/detector that can be mounting in the front lower grill or you can purchase the license plate frame that has the jammer/detector built in. Very stealth. $250.

topcat_92
February 21st, 2009, 20:37
honestly, not really but I am having a hard time imagining why your front plate would have a problem though.... let me think about it and get back to you.
I'll ask the dealer again, but I think it has to do with either the radar detector location interferes with the license plate mounting hardware, or the license plate would block the radar dectector sensors.

So, I did some checking, and found a toggle switch under under the stearing wheel in a vent louver. I flipped the switch and heard a chirp. I bought the RS6 on eBay from a dealer who probably has no idea it was in there. I looked around under the hood to see if I could figure-out who the manufacturer of the system is, but didn't see anything obvious. What are some of the systems available like this, and where would the control unit typically be mounted? If you have any ideas, let me know.

I'll probably drive up to a buddy's house who's a sheriff deputy and have him ping my car to see what the system does.

Stay tuned.

topcat_92
February 21st, 2009, 20:43
Oops, I didn't read Copper's post before the last post. My wife just took the car out. I believe I have only red LED, I'll confirm the location. Once she's back, I'll take a look for the boxes and dial you mention, and also any wiring to the rear. In my earlier quick look, I only noticed the toggle.

Thanks for the posts guys.

GEN XER
February 22nd, 2009, 03:18
I have the K-40 and if it is the K-40 that toggle will have K-40 on the side. If you have front and rear detectors you will have two red lights to let you know which way the radar is coming from. You should also have a third light that turns two colors green in hwy mode and yellow in city mode. The toggle has the on/off switch which is also the volume, then there is the second switch with three positions left city, center off, and right hwy.

topcat_92
April 19th, 2009, 02:15
I finally had a chance to look a little further into the on-board detection system. I pulled my front lower grill and found a sensor dangling behind it. The name on the sensor, "Lidatek". The sensor support had been double back taped, and had come off. I securely attached the sensor, and hope to be able to confirm if it works shortly. I didn't have a chance to trace the wiring back to the control module, but assume that this is the only system on-board.

I found this link one the Lidatek system: http://www.cartunes.com/vendors/lidatek/lidatek.htm

Does anyone else have this system? Does it work?

Let me know.

Copper
April 19th, 2009, 16:33
I don't know anything about this system. Sorry. At first look it appears to just be a laser detector/diffuser. Laser jammers should be used to augment a radar detection system which may have been a portable unit that the P/O removed before selling the car or perhaps this system has a radar detection element that I'm not seeing?