PDA

View Full Version : 75K $2,800 service vs. 80K $800 service?

topcat_92
February 20th, 2009, 20:36
I need you help. My RS has 72K on it and I just had the dealer change oil and a couple of other things (University Audi in Seattle, WA). They noticed that the serpantine (sp?) belt is pretty ragged and recommended that I have the 75K service done. They quoted the cost for this service at $2,800, noting that they replace the timing belt, water pump, serpantine, etc., and that the service will take 2-3 days.

No problem until I called the next closest dealer (Barrier Audi in Bellevue, WA) who said that the next major service is at 80K and is only $800.

It seems that I am being quoted two separate things. What is the recommended service interval, what service is included, and how much should it cost?

Thanks for your help.

p3u
February 20th, 2009, 20:41
I would ask them for a detailed list of what they think the 75k service entails...

I just had my 75k service done, timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, thermostat, rollers, tensioners, coolant, oil, all filters, spark plugs for ~$2300 at the dealership.

I don't think they are doing much for you in way of price if its just the belts and such replaced.

Also, it took only one day to get done ( about 8 hours), sounds like they are giving you the run around if they need 2-3 days lol

hahnmgh63
February 20th, 2009, 21:14
According to my manual I think they quoted the right parts for the 75K service. I will have to look again but I don't think the manual lists a 80K service? Topcat, where do you live? I live just south of Tacoma, towards Mt Rainier.

p3u
February 20th, 2009, 21:19
According to my manual I think they quoted the right parts for the 75K service.

75k includes everything I listed. Plus cleaning of intercoolers and inspection of car.

topcat_92
February 20th, 2009, 22:43
I am in Seattle, close to the Zoo/Greenlake.

hahnmgh63
February 20th, 2009, 23:05
Have you been to one of the Wednesday Audi club NW meets at Feierabend? I need to get up there one of these Wednesdays, looks like a cool place and I wouldn't mind meeting some more Audi guys.

gjg
February 21st, 2009, 08:28
I need you help. My RS has 72K on it and I just had the dealer change oil and a couple of other things (University Audi in Seattle, WA). They noticed that the serpantine (sp?) belt is pretty ragged and recommended that I have the 75K service done. They quoted the cost for this service at $2,800, noting that they replace the timing belt, water pump, serpantine, etc., and that the service will take 2-3 days.

It seems that I am being quoted two separate things. What is the recommended service interval, what service is included, and how much should it cost?

Thanks for your help.

required service interval is in your service book/car manual. If the belt is really in shape they claim it will be cheaper to replace the belt instead of complete engine. Question to ask is how the dealer inspected the belt to determine its "pretty ragged" shape???

All other items are part of the belt service, as p3u noted it takes approx. 6-8 hrs to do it as the front bumper, mask and other stuff must come off the car to get access.

DHall1
February 21st, 2009, 17:09
Try to confirm when the timing belt was last changed.

Get the service history for the car from any Audi dealer and see if its in there.

If the timing belt was done on time at 35k. Then your due at 75 for the timing belt again.

2800 is fair if they are replacing all the parts you listed.

AS a comparison. Chandler Audi told me over 4,000 for a 35k service. You can guess what I told them. :argue: F and U were my thoughts.

No problem until I called the next closest dealer (Barrier Audi in Bellevue, WA) who said that the next major service is at 80K and is only $800.

Thanks for your help.

Yellow RS6
February 24th, 2009, 19:35

Thanks for your help.

$2800 for the 75K service isn't bad. There is a 85K service, which is the same as the 55K that I've had quoted at $717, so that's probably what Barrier Audi was quoting you on, there is no 80K service.

topcat_92
March 13th, 2009, 15:45
Just had the 75K service. Just at $3K including WA's 9% sales tax.

I was pleased to notice an improvement in the power of the car. Initially, my wife was having heart-burn over the cost of the repairs. Then she drove it and said, "Worth every penny."

I have to agree, even before the DRC fix.

p3u
March 13th, 2009, 16:44
So what did they do for 3k?

Hy Octane
March 13th, 2009, 18:01
It seems that many dealers wind up charging more for this service because they do unnecessary labor related to not knowing how to do this service effeciently in the first place. try and find a dealer who does many RS6's.

topcat_92
March 13th, 2009, 18:29
I don't have the invoice in front of me, but here are the major items I recall:
timing belt
water pump
serpantine belt
one CV boot

The service was done at University Audi in Seattle. They have 6 technicians that have gone through the RS6 specific training. Also, I understand that University sold the most RS6's in the area (I assume WA, OR, ID, MT), to the point that they shipped in RS6's from other dealer in the region to meet the local demand.

DHall1
March 13th, 2009, 18:41
I hope they changed the thermostat, timing belt rollers and belt damper.

I don't have the invoice in front of me, but here are the major items I recall:
timing belt
water pump
serpantine belt
one CV boot

The service was done at University Audi in Seattle. They have 6 technicians that have gone through the RS6 specific training. Also, I understand that University sold the most RS6's in the area (I assume WA, OR, ID, MT), to the point that they shipped in RS6's from other dealer in the region to meet the local demand.

topcat_92
March 13th, 2009, 18:49
I'll check the invoice over the weekend and post a more complete list...