PDA

View Full Version : Tips for saving weight on the beast! Help me put it on a diet!

p3u
February 20th, 2009, 02:31
I figure if we could reduce the weight of our cars by ~200lbs our power to weight ratio would go up almost 5%, that would be huge!

Has anyone gone to lengths to reduce the weight? If so what measures have been done?

To start I'm thinking that the wheels can lose ~40lbs, ~10lbs exhaust, ~50lbs battery, so there is 100lbs. Where to get the other 100? Guess another 50 if spare is out as well... Different seats is out of the question, interior needs to look stock.

Any input appreciated!

DHall1
February 20th, 2009, 03:07
I think this windshield must weigh 75 pounds itself. The roof was 400 pounds total.

hahnmgh63
February 20th, 2009, 05:37
I did the PC925T battery for a 39# savings and my Forged BBS RS-GT wheels in 19" saved 36# and yes, I have removed the spare which I'll throw in with the compressor if I go on a long trip. Wow, I removed the Onstar module which probably saved me 1/2 ~ 3/4 of a pound :)

kju
February 20th, 2009, 10:29
throw out the back seats...oh it has to look stock hmm. I dont know what your financial situation is but you could change your bonnet into a carbon fibre bonnet ? :) same with roof ;)

Bigglezworth
February 20th, 2009, 14:40
Change out your stock rotors for some lighter units. Hood and trunk are worth some decent pounds if you can get a nice carbonfiber replacement for each. I would hesitate to guess you could loose 50 lbs easily with sound deadening material. For me that wouldn't be an option as I would still desire the quietness. A different header system could free up some weight, but I dont' believe anyone has an engineered solution to fit this car. There's a lot of plumbing on the engine with the compressors. Perhaps some lightweight tubing vs. the heavier cast units? Really all a matter of what exactly you want the ride to be in the end. Heck, if it were easier to swap the auto for a manual, you'd save lots of lbs right there. Add to that a lightweight flywheel/clutch assembly vs. a heavier torque convertor unit and there's a few more. Possibly the driveshaft with a lighweight race unit? Lots of options IMO. Can quickly consume your pocketbook though trying to shave pounds. This isn't a 1/4 mile car and will go just as fast for a top speed with or without the weight which lets face it is really what this vehicle is catered towards. It's an Autobahn speedboat! :)

Tim

hahnmgh63
February 20th, 2009, 17:59
I already saved 75# with the changes posted above easily, they are actually improvements to the car. The car needs more weight off the front than the back. The hood and front fenders on the RS6 are aluminum already (shared with the A6 4.2). A carbon fiber hood would loose more weight but not much of a gain over the aluminum one for the price or the quality. The exhaust could definitley loose some weight but not a lot, and that weight is down low. Weight removed from the front and higher up on the car would improve balance and center of gravity.

Hy Octane
February 20th, 2009, 18:36
If you have a solar sunroof, lose it.

ben916
February 20th, 2009, 18:46
Lose all your passengers and luggage...

DHall1
February 20th, 2009, 19:34
This is the best info.

Or, you could cut the roof off. Thats what my post above is saying. :doh:

I already saved 75# with the changes posted above easily, they are actually improvements to the car. The car needs more weight off the front than the back. The hood and front fenders on the RS6 are aluminum already (shared with the A6 4.2). A carbon fiber hood would loose more weight but not much of a gain over the aluminum one for the price or the quality. The exhaust could definitley loose some weight but not a lot, and that weight is down low. Weight removed from the front and higher up on the car would improve balance and center of gravity.

Benman
February 20th, 2009, 19:45
... and my Forged BBS RS-GT wheels in 19" saved 36#...

SSRs 18" will save you over 40lbs and will cost you less. But then, don't look as good. :)

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
February 20th, 2009, 20:33
Depend on where you are from, if you are from NewYork then I suggest having a dump on the toilet should lose an easy 25kgs.:hihi:

Needless to say Californians need not partake.

DuckWingDuck
February 20th, 2009, 23:29
If you have a solar sunroof, lose it.

ROFL, damn you Hy Octane!! But ya man, the solar sunroof option is really quite hokey and probably not worth the add'l weigt.

LIRS6
February 21st, 2009, 22:22
Depend on where you are from, if you are from NewYork then I suggest having a dump on the toilet should lose an easy 25kgs.:hihi:

Needless to say Californians need not partake.

I've tried that - it doesn't work :vhmmm:

Clubsport
February 22nd, 2009, 11:05
my car is 500 lbs lighter than a stock rs6, a lot of things are missing.....but i still have radio, fresh-air cooling, electric front windows and a nice roll-bar :love:
the front seats are heavy, you can loose about 50 lbs each with Recaro SPG, the rear seat's weight is about 100 lbs.....

p3u
February 22nd, 2009, 16:20
my car is 500 lbs lighter than a stock rs6, a lot of things are missing.....but i still have radio, fresh-air cooling, electric front windows and a nice roll-bar :love:
the front seats are heavy, you can loose about 50 lbs each with Recaro SPG, the rear seat's weight is about 100 lbs.....

Could you please post a detail list of how this was acheived? That is a huge amount to take off the car, very impressive!

grizz
February 22nd, 2009, 16:55
Get rid of the stock 19" rims ...I saved 11kgs per wheel with the carbon dymags ...

That's 44kg's (96.8lbs) of unsprung weight ..... From what I've found that equates to 200kg's (440lbs) ...

Get some carbon rotors & front bucket seats ..

Mr Balsen
February 22nd, 2009, 17:28
Could you please post a detail list of how this was acheived? That is a huge amount to take off the car, very impressive!

His car is not an RS6 out of the Audi factory but a car built at MTM from an empty bodyshell. Therefore, the bare minimun was installed from ground up...

I am currently writing an article about the MTM Clubsport as I am the only one to have pictures of this project. I have also the TUV Papers of the car. to be publish very soon...

Frederic

snoopra
February 22nd, 2009, 18:13
His car is not an RS6 out of the Audi factory but a car built at MTM from an empty bodyshell. Therefore, the bare minimun was installed from ground up...

I am currently writing an article about the MTM Clubsport as I am the only one to have pictures of this project. I have also the TUV Papers of the car. to be publish very soon...

Frederic
Looking forward to this article's release, can't wait!:rs6kiss:

DuckWingDuck
February 22nd, 2009, 19:27
I think there needs to be a realistic expectation of just how much weight can be saved vs. still having a car that's somewhat drivable on the road. Remember folks, this is a luxury sedan first and foremost so if you start stripping out sound deadening material, replacing your roof, etc etc, why not just build a dedicated track car at that point? More power to those that want to go down this avenue (hell, I'm looking around trying to save some weight too) but it gets a bit crazy, no? ;)

Mr Balsen
February 22nd, 2009, 19:49
You are completely right !

I drove the MTM Clubsport from Ingolstadt to Nardo and back. It is over 3000 km journey. you have to be really really crazy like me to do so...

Nothing compaired to my current RS6...

Frederic

hahnmgh63
February 22nd, 2009, 21:08
With wheels, spare tire(removed) and comressor, and battery changes, I would say a comfortable 130#~140# is fairly easy. Anything else is harder and expensive (Forged wheels aren't cheap though).

Bigglezworth
February 22nd, 2009, 23:39
I think there needs to be a realistic expectation of just how much weight can be saved vs. still having a car that's somewhat drivable on the road. Remember folks, this is a luxury sedan first and foremost so if you start stripping out sound deadening material, replacing your roof, etc etc, why not just build a dedicated track car at that point? More power to those that want to go down this avenue (hell, I'm looking around trying to save some weight too) but it gets a bit crazy, no? ;)
Bingo. Go buy a track ready Porsche. As I stated, this is an Autoban cruiser.

sallyh
February 23rd, 2009, 10:56
Hi all

Oh come on, lighten up! With my new RS6 Avant I've kind of gone with my version of "super light" aka ceramic brakes and bucket seats. Couldn't resist the solar sun roof though, kind of quirky, just a pity it doesn't also power the battery and then I could smile smugly at the Prius next to me at the lights. I think this sort of discussion is really interesting, particularly for those (like me) who don't want to go the tuning route (I'm kind of clueless and the thought of turning up at the dealership with "a guy off the internet's version of how to fix the DRC but nevermind I've printed it off for you" along with worries of will they find my chip, all too, too much) in kind of reassurring. I do know about race horses, in that, they handicap the good ones with more weight, so it makes sense with a good car, like the RS6, to lose weight. I cannot confirm anything, but I'm sure I read that the new Sedan is faster by 0.1 to 100 kms than the new Avant, and it is due to weight reduction. So all power to those with useful tips to lose weight. Why not start with the battery? Hey, what about the new M3 and its carbon fibre roof? Marketing or truly getting the weight down (and down) and fact?

We all seem to obsess with 0-100km times and have good fun with them, as in 0.1 does kind of mean a lot. In a kind of fun, silly way. Australia does not have Autobahns and gosh, I know this car is built for them, but it does not stop me from wanting to own an RS6 and try, within the limits of my expertise, from having as much enjoyment as possible from it.

And we all know M5 drivers are really, really, fat Germans!

SeattleS4
February 24th, 2009, 04:04
Replacing the DRC with a set of coilovers has to save some weight. Anyone know approximately how much?

DuckWingDuck
February 24th, 2009, 04:21
how do you figure? I would say negligible weight loss or even slight weight gain.

hahnmgh63
February 24th, 2009, 17:04
DRC cross over pipes, central valves, and heavier steel body DRC shocks have to weight more than a set of Aluminum body coilovers like KW's or Bilstein's.

terrytcl
February 24th, 2009, 17:20
yep, there's a lot of DRC junk under there.

you can also save some weight by

-eliminating the resonators
-replacing oem cats with lightweight ones or eliminating them all together
-replacing mufflers with lightweight ones

i wish someone made a carbon fiber replacement trunk for the C5 A6. i'd be all over that.

terrytcl
February 24th, 2009, 17:23
Get rid of the stock 19" rims ...I saved 11kgs per wheel with the carbon dymags ...

That's 44kg's (96.8lbs) of unsprung weight ..... From what I've found that equates to 200kg's (440lbs) ...

Get some carbon rotors & front bucket seats ..

the front seats are definitely pigs.

get some recaro seats at 1/4 the weight.

get rid of the front and rear bumpers (under the bumper covers)

sallyh
February 25th, 2009, 08:43
Hi all

So Ok, does anyone know what improvement on 0-100km times can be had with "reasonable" weight improvements (like, keep it an RS6 in that you don't take out the back seats or the sound proofing) but perhaps spend a bit of money on aluminium or carbon fibre this and that. Or changing the suspension etc. Audi has obviously given it plenty of power and plenty of tuners seem to be able to give it more, but a simple soul like me thinks why not just reduce the weight. Yes, I know it matters where the weight lies, but this is quite an interesting issue which is addressed by other manufacturers in their variations- Ferrari springs to mind. Is Audi just content to produce a luxury autobahn cruiser or could something faster be made by reducing the luxury features and the weight?

SeattleS4
February 27th, 2009, 03:06
Hi all

So Ok, does anyone know what improvement on 0-100km times can be had with "reasonable" weight improvements (like, keep it an RS6 in that you don't take out the back seats or the sound proofing) but perhaps spend a bit of money on aluminium or carbon fibre this and that.

Some rule of thumb figures that get mentioned a lot are:

+/- 100lbs is good for +/- 0.07 to 0.10 in quarter mile ET's.

sallyh
February 27th, 2009, 06:04
Thanks. Worth giving a go!

SAFE4NOW
March 2nd, 2009, 00:12
... run the car with 1/2 tank of fuel..... How much weigh does 10gal +/- less fuel in the tank save you?

I did not pick up on the OP reasoning, is this for an event, or just save weight for day to day driving?:vhmmm:

The driver losing weight is a simple way to lose 20lbs too... plus you may feel better eating healthly too.:hihi:

Just a couple random thoughts.

S