PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Suspension - Kicks Bootey!!!

nene
August 6th, 2003, 19:22
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I usually wait until I'm a bit used to the car before I try to post how I 'really feel' about it. In this case, I don't think I'll ever succeed in getting used to the RS6, but after the 'G' mile mark on the odometer, it's possible that I might have something useful to share.

The Scenario:
For those of you that don't know most Northeast USA cities, they are usually in pretty bad shape. I've driven in dirt roads that were in better shape than most Boston roads. Of all the cities in the Northeast USA, Boston is most likely the worst of all when it comes to road conditions. The state basically has little to no money to fix them, since it's all going mostly towards the 'Big Dig'. Even one of the major fixes on Route 128/95, took them over 1 year to repave a stretch of about 3 miles.

Usually I would say that Boston is a perfect city for using SUVs, even though the streets aren't usually wide enough to fit two of them side-by-side. Certainly there are lots of potholes, but the worst of it all, is that hardly any pavement is evenly put together. Between the holes and the uneveness of the pavement, any car will take a beating!

The Victims:
Because of the road's conditions, normally a good riding suspension would be a regular Audi A4 (B5/B6) or even a BMW 540i (1999-2000MY).
The cars I own are as follows: 1997 BMW 540i, 2000 Audi S4, 2001 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 Convertible, 2003 Audi RS6.

The list of cars above is the ones I mostly use to run around town, in various forms of commutes. The Audi S4 now has an H&R Street Coilover setup, and the setting is about 1 inch of space between top of tire and wheel well. Pretty low, and very sporty riding. All the other cars are pretty much stock suspension. I don't remember what a stock S4 suspension even feels like anymore. Before purchasing the RS6, the BMW 540i was one of my favorites for long trips, and riding comfy around the town. Not as much of a babe magnet, but if parents are in town, that's what you need to use.

The RS6 has clearly been a God send. The ride quality does very much rival that of the 540i in comfort, believe or not. Although it's a slightly stiffer suspension, it rides those holes and uneveness of the pavement with such poise. Most importantly in the past few days, where I had to make it to the airport about 4 times, where most of the crappy pavement is noticed. Maybe the seats also have something to do with it, not sure, but the car over bumps is just great, and very solid. Unlike the tin cans (Toyota/Honda) where you feel the car crack/snap/pop, the RS6 is very solid, and I did not notice any whining or grunting over any of the stuff. I try to avoid major holes in the road, but the RS6 is a solid machine, and the suspension is the best I've been in. I'm sure that if I had to go on a road for 3 hours over continuous bumps and stuff, the RS6 wouldn't be too comfortable, but neither would be the 540i.

Arround corners the car is just plain solid and flat as you make the curves. Long sweeping curves are the best though. I know of a few roads locally that I've tested the RS6 on, and it's great. Even though the S4 is lower to the ground, and uses a decent coilover setup, you still feel less sway on the RS6, keeping speed around the same curve identical. Considering the RS6 is heavier, this suspension is just phenomenal.

The Response:
One of the Boston Audi Group members asked me this past weekend when I had intentions on lowering the car, and changing suspension. My response to him was that I was not looking to downgrade anything in the car.

The RS6 is so top notch, that changing the setup on a few things might not really yield a better outcome. The car is so complete, that I've only really contemplated very small changes. These changes would be mostly visible via a different set of rims for the Summer. Not sure how that will change the suspension and ride feel, since 19" or 20" rims would make big difference. So it could be that the combination of the different seats, and the bigger rubber on the rims could add to the goodness my tush feels when it's planted on the RS6.

Benman
August 6th, 2003, 20:16
nene,

great write up:0:

i share your thoughts on the "downgrading" of the suspension. in a recent Audi Driver mag, they compared 2 RS 6s that had been tuned. the one WITH the factory suspension was voted BETTER than the one with a custom setup in that regard.

when i finally take delivery (oh when will the day come:cry: ) i plan on leaving the car stock (with the possible exception of a chip). i can't wait to sample this baby on a couple of "choice" roads i have all planned out.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

GoFastKindaGuy
August 7th, 2003, 00:28
We recently hired an engineer from Porsche. He was the project lead on the current Turbo engine and drive train. I asked his opinion on a dozen or so wheels I have been considering for summer use on the RS6. Without hesitation, he advised staying with 18 inch. "Big wheels look better, but keep some rubber between the wheels and the American roadways."

I think I'll listen.
:incar:

eph94
August 7th, 2003, 02:33
You alleviate a lot of my concerns about the stiffness of the RS6 versus the 540. You're absolutely right about Boston roads. Totally ridiculous. How's about Route 1 South on the Tobin Bridge? Whenever I drive over that I wish I had a Lincoln Town Car. It kills me in the 540 or the X5. There are also patches on Route 95 headed towards NH that are absurd. They just get worse and worse, and rocks/gravels kicks everywhere from the cars traveling over those spots.

FitzRS6
August 7th, 2003, 03:33
Arround corners the car is just plain solid and flat as you make the curves. Long sweeping curves are the best though. I know of a few roads locally that I've tested the RS6 on, and it's great. Even though the S4 is lower to the ground, and uses a decent coilover setup, you still feel less sway on the RS6, keeping speed around the same curve identical. Considering the RS6 is heavier, this suspension is just phenomenal.

Perfectly said Nene! My S4 was stock suspension and I must say there is no comparing my old S4 to the RS6. The RS6 while it is a bigger car does corner better IMO. The ride of the RS6 is both firm and smooth....I dont feel like I am getting bounced or jarred around at all.

Habiline
August 7th, 2003, 06:23
Hi Nene,

The roadways & freeways here in L.A. are juat as TERRIBLE or worse, maybe. We even have groves on freeways - (gee, maybe it's to aid the imbeciles who lead the cops on dangerous high speed chases?? :flamed: )

Anyway, I agree with you 110% that the suspension on the RS6 is incredible....On my '03 M3, it was so stiff that daily driving on our freeways must have loosened all my dental fillings. Compared to the '99 M-B E55, the suspension is wonderfully supple...I definitely remember feeling most potholes quite vividly on my rear end. The suspension setup is IMHO, only slightly stiffer than the old A8, which I found a little "floaty" for me. The RS6 suspension in conjunction with the Quattro rewards you with a "super glue" driving sensation that I have NEVER found duplicated in any of my past cars - not even on the '00 911 Coupe. The 911 was definitely more agile around tight corners, but slower and less comfortable on longer runs.

Anyway, for all those waiting for their RS6s...I can gaurantee you that all the frustrations of the long wait will INSTANTLY vanish the 1st time you take your beast out for an extended drive...:)

:cheers:

Habiline

avdh
August 7th, 2003, 08:18
Great report nene.

Thanks.

nene
August 7th, 2003, 15:19
About a few more inputs.

I have not driven the RS6 on Route 1 South yet, over the Tobin Bridge, but I'm definitely looking forward to it. However, the holes on Route 95 North going to New Hampshire, that I did drive on. My company had a GTG at Water Country about 2 weekends ago, and I got to drive on that road. I tried to miss most of those weird holes, but a few still got me. I hated the fact that I went over them, but it did not feel like the car was coming apart in any way. Really solid over those bumps. Usually in the CLK 430 or the S4 it would seem a bit more damaging, just because the type of suspension both cars have. But on the RS6, it was not that bad.

As for the freeways in Los Angeles, I definitely agree that they are also very bad in pavement. I was on a 3 week vacation of the West Coast at end of June - beginning of July, and one of my drives was from La Jolla to Beverly Hills. I got to experience the wonderful freeways of Los Angeles first hand. I was driving a Lincoln Town Car, which although seems nice and comfy, the car is plain dangerous at high speeds. Lots of the holes you see on the road, are similar to the ones we see here on Route 95 going to NH. The only thing is that they seem to appear with more frequency in L.A. The Town Car did not handle it very well, since it's like being on a boat, really!!! And it did not sound well each time you'd hit one. Maybe the tires were under inflated a little I guess.

Plexus
August 19th, 2003, 16:34
The 2ME option would have solved all your problems!

avdh
August 19th, 2003, 16:57
Originally posted by Plexus
The 2ME option would have solved all your problems!

I don't think it's available in the States, nor will it be for South Africa :mad: