PDA

View Full Version : Perspective RS6 owner

KarlK
February 17th, 2009, 23:14
Hi,
My first post here and hopefully I'll be joining you as an RS6 owner soon!
I am looking at spending some of my pension after 22 years service in the military on an RS6, which I have always admired but never been able to afford! I have found an avant from a mature chap who has owned the car for 3 years, in that time he has driven half of its 100,000 miles. He has had the DRC valves & rear shocks replaced and maintained a full Audi service history. A cambelt change took place at 40k and the car has 4 months Audi warranty remaining.

The mileage is putting me off, sure - but the fact that this mature gent has driven it for 50,000 miles in 3 years combined with the warranty are advantages in my eyes. The car looks in extremely good condition with plenty of extras and no faults (all covered by warranty)

My question is, Do you think this car will bring me problems or should I invest another 2k to get one with far less miles?

Maybe a no brainer to many of you but to me not knowing the pitfalls of RS6 ownership, maybe not so!

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Karl
(Support your armed forces - they do a great job, I can say that now!)
www.helpforheroes.org.uk (http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk)

DHall1
February 17th, 2009, 23:51
WHERE DO YOU LIVE?

Pay the extra 2k and get the lowest mileage example. You will never be able to buy a mint RS6 for such a cheap price again.

Your car is already past due for a cambelt. Thats 2k right there.

Hi,
My first post here and hopefully I'll be joining you as an RS6 owner soon!
I am looking at spending some of my pension after 22 years service in the military on an RS6, which I have always admired but never been able to afford! I have found an avant from a mature chap who has owned the car for 3 years, in that time he has driven half of its 100,000 miles. He has had the DRC valves & rear shocks replaced and maintained a full Audi service history. A cambelt change took place at 40k and the car has 4 months Audi warranty remaining.

The mileage is putting me off, sure - but the fact that this mature gent has driven it for 50,000 miles in 3 years combined with the warranty are advantages in my eyes. The car looks in extremely good condition with plenty of extras and no faults (all covered by warranty)

My question is, Do you think this car will bring me problems or should I invest another 2k to get one with far less miles?

Maybe a no brainer to many of you but to me not knowing the pitfalls of RS6 ownership, maybe not so!

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Karl
(Support your armed forces - they do a great job, I can say that now!)
www.helpforheroes.org.uk (http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk)

Bigglezworth
February 18th, 2009, 01:13
I'm not in agreement with Doug on this or many others I'm sure as I would say go for the 100K example. It is HIGHLY probable that if Audi maintenance has all been done properly that all of the high wear items have already been replaced and you are on a new set. Aside from the DRC issue, you can't say that about a 40-60K example. I purchased a 2003 with 98K on it 6 months ago. It had new rotors, pads, tires, control arms, and inner CV boots. It also had new plugs and just had the timing belt done a few months prior. Other than that it is in as good cosmetic condition as any other 5 year old vehicle. Also keep in mind that at a 100K it should be more than just 2K less than a lower mileage example. I paid less than 25K for mine prior to the US fiasco that keeps on getting worse by the week. That was 7K less than any other RS6 on the US market at the time. Add to that over 4K worth of recent work and it was a no brainer.

Tim

DuckWingDuck
February 18th, 2009, 02:01
I'm kind of with Tim here Dave, he does live in the UK and he has Grizz to help take a look at the car if he gets into trouble! I say, if you're at all close to Grizz, have him take a look at the car and give you his blessing on it before you take the plunge.

DHall1
February 18th, 2009, 05:34
I know, I know. We have beat this dead horse 500 times.

I mean really, the price difference of 2k and to get a car with far fewer miles. No brainer. Not to mention that you can actually afford to buy an extended warranty and drive this expensive beast without worry. Priceless.

It really comes down to exposure. I guess in todays world we choose our exposure to risk at every corner. When were dealing with a car that has 10,000 dollar turbos, 10,000 dollar transmission, 6,000 dollar DRC, 40,000 dollar engine...well you get the idea.

Now I can DIY with the best of them but parts cost are parts cost and I dont have a lift to remove the car from the front engine/transmission assm. I love the car for what it is and realize my time and ability to fix major failures is somewhat limited. So I choose to "hedge" my risk and exposure and buy the best extended coverage for as long as it will cover. Drive the car for this period knowing that my hedge is in place and save for the next car or project.

Did I "hedge" my Subaru STI? NO. Everything was dirt cheap on that car.
Did I ever "hedge" any Toyota's or Lexus vehicles. NO. They never break down.
Did I "hedge" our E55 Supercharged AMG? YES. Are you kidding, its insured to the sky just like the RS6.

Now, call me in 6yrs when the extended warranty is expired for my RS6. Most likely I will just end up keeping the car and doing the best I can with all failures and maint from 100k upwards. It wont be worth anything and I will not let anyone get thier hands on my beast. It will be the Saturday bruiser for the mountain roads.

:mech:

Its all about what your looking for at any given moment. I didnt pay 26k for my car. I paid much more and it and plan to keep it for 10+ years. So I wish to keep the next 6 years and hedge without any major expense while I focus on other ventures.

I'm kind of with Tim here Dave, he does live in the UK and he has Grizz to help take a look at the car if he gets into trouble! I say, if you're at all close to Grizz, have him take a look at the car and give you his blessing on it before you take the plunge.

BLITZEN
February 19th, 2009, 07:14
If I paid real money for a 100,000 mile car, It would need to be cheap, cheap, cheap! :deal:
I'd keep it only a year or two and drive it as if it were stolen. :dig:
Then, I'd sell it to someone like you for what I paid. :lovl:

Bigglezworth
February 19th, 2009, 13:36
If I paid real money for a 100,000 mile car, It would need to be cheap, cheap, cheap! :deal:
I'd keep it only a year or two and drive it as if it were stolen. :dig:
Then, I'd sell it to someone like you for what I paid. :lovl:As long as it had new brakes, new tires, new timing belt, new plugs, new oil change, nothing was leaking, and compression was still within 3-5% of new - I'd buy it. Car was meant to be driven - and not like a pansy I might add.;)

KarlK
February 20th, 2009, 22:03
Thanks very much to those of you who have taken the time to answer.:thumb:
I am indeed in the UK and would like to track down this 'Grizz' fella! In the meantime, the 100k car has sold already it went for £12,000. So, the search continues - found a nice one on ebay but the guy is very sketchy when it comes to answering questions, bad feeling on that one so the search goes on - into March I feel!!

Thanks again!!

DuckWingDuck
February 20th, 2009, 23:37
here's his url: http://www.unit20.org/