PDA

View Full Version : Concern about car cooling system that runs after car is shut off...

p3u
February 9th, 2009, 17:21
I just got my 75k service done almost a week ago and I have noticed that not once has the cooling been running after shutting the car off. The thermostat was replaced when it was done so I am wondering if the old one was worn making the cooling fan run at a lower temperature. Is it the thermostat that controls the fans and oil recirculation system?

Before I had the service done the cooling fan would come on maybe half of the time when I would shut it down, but not a single time in the last 5 days.

I'm just worried that something wasn't plugged back in, or is it most likely the thermostat being new is the reason? I don't want to worry about oil cooking in the turbos since the circulation is not running.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks much! :rs6kiss:

snoopra
February 9th, 2009, 17:49
Not sure what you're asking, but the after run coolant pump for the turbos should be very quiet, there's no oil circulation after shut down. Open the hood after shutting down and you should hear the pump humming. If you're talking about the engine cooling system, there may have been a defective sensor causing the fans to come on after shutting down. Hope this helps, correct me if I wrong anyone?

p3u
February 9th, 2009, 17:52
Well normally when my car would should off it would sound like a jet turbine that just shut down :P But now not a peep out of it. Guess it was the cooling fans then I was hearing, but they have not come on since. Think the old thermostat was the reason? Fans would run even when car was not driven hard before the 75k, but not now.

snoopra
February 9th, 2009, 18:09
Where are you? Did they come on all year 'round? High outside temps could cause this or a bad sensor. Did they (service dept) tell you if the thermostat was stuck or defective?

DHall1
February 9th, 2009, 18:13
jet turbine sound would be the elec cooling fans on the rad.

Verify that they are working by turning on the AC after the car has warmed up and looking to see if the elec fans are running.

Could be that plug was left off.

I doubt the thermostat had anything to do with this.

Well normally when my car would should off it would sound like a jet turbine that just shut down :P But now not a peep out of it. Guess it was the cooling fans then I was hearing, but they have not come on since. Think the old thermostat was the reason? Fans would run even when car was not driven hard before the 75k, but not now.

p3u
February 9th, 2009, 18:19
I don't know what the condition of the old thermostat was, I've only had the car for ~2 months. Its winter here so I thought it was weird it was running so much, so thermostat possible?

I will check on the AC running fans later day if it does nothing should I go back to the dealer?

Thanks

DHall1
February 9th, 2009, 18:22
If the old thermostat was faulty. It could only be stuck closed to cause a problem. If it was stuck closed you would have known it. Non issue.

If the fans dont run after warmup and you have the AC on. Then yes, take it back to the dealer. A plug was left off.

I don't know what the condition of the old thermostat was, I've only had the car for ~2 months. Its winter here so I thought it was weird it was running so much, so thermostat possible?

I will check on the AC running fans later day if it does nothing should I go back to the dealer?

Thanks

artur777
February 9th, 2009, 18:24
All turbo cars have to cool the turbines.
My car did this very often after shutting off for 1-3 mins.

p3u
February 9th, 2009, 18:25
If it was infact left unplugged is this something I could see with just the hood open or through the grills? You wouldn't happen to know the location of it by chance?

Hy Octane
February 9th, 2009, 19:18
Sounds like what happened to me last year.. The fans came on wayy too early and stayed on after I turned off the motor. This didnt happen normally, it just started one day. After much back and forth with the dealer, they finally agreed that it was the thermostat and replaced it. That fixed it. So, chances are that you indeed had a faulty thermo.. BTW, this is a rather common thing as while investigating, others had suffered the same thing. In normal usage, the fans wont stay on after shutdown.. unless you have gotten the oil temps too high in which case they stay on until things cool down a bit.
See this for more

http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=66936

p3u
February 9th, 2009, 19:21
Good to hear, so hopefully I just had a bad thermostat and the new one is acting as it should have been.

Guess when you are use to the car always doing one thing and then it is different you start to worry! :cry:

p3u
February 10th, 2009, 03:05
Dhall1,

I did as you said, and the smaller fan seemed to be running. Does this mean I am good to go? Big fan stayed put.

DHall1
February 10th, 2009, 14:53
After reading that thread that Hyoctane posted. I am still scratching my head.

A thermostat is just a mechanical device. How in the world can it lead to the cooling fans running on after shutting the car off? The Tstat must need to be stuck in the partial closed position and causing a slight overheating of the engine...ect. what a mess.

Anyways, I am not 100% sure that both fans should be on with AC use. Was the car fully warmed up? Can anyone in the cold belt confirm?

Dhall1,

I did as you said, and the smaller fan seemed to be running. Does this mean I am good to go? Big fan stayed put.

Jani
February 11th, 2009, 09:13
I had what sounds like the same problem, fans running in winter weather when parked, not the same as after-run. These are loud fans, definately not normal.

I think they replaced the engine temperature sensor. It fixed the problem. It should leave a fault code, but I had not checked it, as car was going in for DRC renewal.