PDA

View Full Version : New RS6 Owner Checking In

Turboluvr
February 8th, 2009, 19:36
Hello,

I introduced myself over on the AW forum and everyone said I should check in over here. I just bought the Daytona Gray/Black/Carbon Fiber car with 24K miles that was for sale in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. They were asking $39,000 but took $31,000, so I flew out last Tuesday and picked her up. The car is absolutely immaculate and as close to new as I could have hopped for. I made 870 miles to Louisville, KY the first day and brought her the rest of the way home to Hampton Roads, VA on the next. What a great car! I can't get the stupid grin off my face, she beat 2 state troopers in head to head quick draws (SD, KY). Thanks be to Brembo and Mr. Valentine. On the advise of several RS6 owners, I went out and got the Audi Fidelity Platinum 6/60K extended warranty yesterday. Thanks for the help DHall1 and GEN XER.

About me, I'm a Marine (grunt) and a lifelong car nut. I rebuild 65 Mustangs and play with 911s on the street and track. I look forward to learning about this RS6 here and keeping her going strong for years to come.

DHall1
February 8th, 2009, 19:56
James,

The price for your ride was the steal of the century. Even with the added Fidelity purchase. Wow.

That color combo is hard to find and excellent choice. Its also amazing that it was kept so nice so far up in the snowbelt SD. The doc must have parked it in the winter.

So, you did get the local Audi dealer to sell that Fidelity warranty just walking in off the street. How did that go on a scale of easy to hard. 1-5. Just curious. Everyone should consider that option to keep the cars under coverage. These cars then become no-brainers to buy and enjoy.

The low mileage cars are just about all gone. Dont wait too long if your standing on the sidelines.

Dave

Hello,

I introduced myself over on the AW forum and everyone said I should check in over here. I just bought the Daytona Gray/Black/Carbon Fiber car with 24K miles that was for sale in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. They were asking $39,000 but took $31,000, so I flew out last Tuesday and picked her up. The car is absolutely immaculate and as close to new as I could have hopped for. I made 870 miles to Louisville, KY the first day and brought her the rest of the way home to Hampton Roads, VA on the next. What a great car! I can't get the stupid grin off my face, she beat 2 state troopers in head to head quick draws (SD, KY). Thanks be to Brembo and Mr. Valentine. On the advise of several RS6 owners, I went out and got the Audi Fidelity Platinum 6/60K extended warranty yesterday. Thanks for the help DHall1 and GEN XER.

About me, I'm a Marine (grunt) and a lifelong car nut. I rebuild 65 Mustangs and play with 911s on the street and track. I look forward to learning about this RS6 here and keeping her going strong for years to come.

Turboluvr
February 8th, 2009, 20:09
Dave,

I couldn't be more pleased with the buy, especially since I pulled the trigger without ever seeing the car. But I figured that any RS6 with 24K at that price was worth the risk. I went to the local Audi dealer and there was an Avus Silver RS6 in the parking lot. I introduced myself to the guy that owned it, GEN EXR, and found out that he was there for the same reason and had just gotten an extended warranty. He walked me in and introduced me to the salewoman and she layed out the options. It was very easy, they gave me the 6/60K platinum coverage for $3500. She said this was at their cost, so dealers must be hurting for sales of any kind.

mmaturo
February 8th, 2009, 20:32
Dave,

I couldn't be more pleased with the buy, especially since I pulled the trigger without ever seeing the car. But I figured that any RS6 with 24K at that price was worth the risk. I went to the local Audi dealer and there was an Avus Silver RS6 in the parking lot. I introduced myself to the guy that owned it, GEN EXR, and found out that he was there for the same reason and had just gotten an extended warranty. He walked me in and introduced me to the salewoman and she layed out the options. It was very easy, they gave me the 6/60K platinum coverage for $3500. She said this was at their cost, so dealers must be hurting for sales of any kind.

Awesome deal on the car and especially the warranty. Well done...I am repeating welcomes as i am Marknmtt on Audiworld. Great car, you did the best way of getting it back home, driving it. Valetine will be your constant companion in the RS, has saved me a zillion times in this car too, i can't go anywhere without speeds well beyond legal as the car really just is so smooth.

PS, post some pics of the Mustangs (esp the fastback)...you have the other cars exactly that i would like added to my garage.

Erik
February 8th, 2009, 21:04
Hi Turboluvr and welcome to my forum! Thanks for the introduction and the pictures.

Turboluvr
February 8th, 2009, 21:47
Erik, thanks for the welcome, great site.

mmaturo, here's the fastback, it's a GT-350 clone. I've owned it since 1994 and am currently pulling it apart to upgrade it. I've got a 351W with AFR heads and Mass-Flo injection going into it with a Tremac 5-speed. I've also got a Currie 9-inch with 3.50 posi/31 spline axles and 4 piston disks (SSBC) waiting as well. It will probably get a repaint to blue with white stripes or gray with black. It's 289, C4 tranny, smaller front disks and other good parts are going into the 65 convertible which is a rolling chassis with all the body work done at this time. Here are the other girls as well.

GEN XER
February 9th, 2009, 02:24
I guess I should have known by the buzz cutt that you were a grunt. I got a 73 vette stingray I hope I run into your 65 stang with. You did not go in there and get a 6/60 for $3500. You not only get the steal on the car you stole a warranty as well. You the man.

Turboluvr
February 9th, 2009, 02:49
GEN XER, $3596 ($3685.90 w/tax). What can I say, Darlene liked me. We shot the breeze for about 15 min before we ever agreed on price. I like to think it was my charm...however I think that my mileage had more to do with it. A '73 vette, nice...stock or modified? When I get my fastback running again we'll have to get together.

DHall1
February 9th, 2009, 03:37
Funny, if you guys think about it. You have a RS6 from SD and a RS6 from TX coming together to meet up in VA.

Small world. Quattro Gmbh would be prowd to see its creations still in circulation coming back together years later. :cheers:

Well, and your both well informed because its an added bonus that we can roll into an Audi dealer and purchase the extended warranty. Thanks to RS6.com and AW.

Turboluvr
February 9th, 2009, 03:51
Add the fact that both of us had gotten our cars during the previous week and that we were both at the dealership to get an extended warranty at the same time. Truely a small world.

GEN XER
February 9th, 2009, 04:02
GEN XER, $3596 ($3685.90 w/tax). What can I say, Darlene liked me. We shot the breeze for about 15 min before we ever agreed on price. I like to think it was my charm...however I think that my mileage had more to do with it. A '73 vette, nice...stock or modified? When I get my fastback running again we'll have to get together.

Yeah she is a great saleswoman, yes the 24k miles went a long way in securing the 6/60. The vette is slightly modded. It has the 350 bored out 30 over, so it puts out 350hp.

Funny, if you guys think about it. You have a RS6 from SD and a RS6 from TX coming together to meet up in VA.

Small world. Quattro Gmbh would be prowd to see its creations still in circulation coming back together years later. :cheers:

HA. Yeah I think they would find that great.

Turboluvr
February 9th, 2009, 04:13
Dave, thanks for the EBC red pad discussion BTW. I went and ordered a set, the web page with the lower prices is still active, I don't need them now but eventually I'll be doing a change. Liked the wheel wells, I'll be doing the same thing. Just got the Bentley service manual for A6/S6/RS6, great book, unfortunately it doesn't cover a 4.2L timing belt change. I'll be doing that in another 9,000. Does it really require an engine pull? If I have to do that then I'd like to replace all that I can during the process.

mmaturo
February 9th, 2009, 04:17
Erik, thanks for the welcome, great site.

mmaturo, here's the fastback, it's a GT-350 clone. I've owned it since 1994 and am currently pulling it apart to upgrade it. I've got a 351W with AFR heads and Mass-Flo injection going into it with a Tremac 5-speed. I've also got a Currie 9-inch with 3.50 posi/31 spline axles and 4 piston disks (SSBC) waiting as well. It will probably get a repaint to blue with white stripes or gray with black. It's 289, C4 tranny, smaller front disks and other good parts are going into the 65 convertible which is a rolling chassis with all the body work done at this time. Here are the other girls as well.

Awesome Mustang...if you ever somehow get tired of it i could give it a good home. The best color combo on the car even. I think you have all the right toys now. I need the 993 Porsche next for a dedicated track car. The 6 is fun on the track but it would be nice to drive without the plowing.

Is pretty wild you guys were at the same dealer at the same time.

DHall1
February 9th, 2009, 04:23
I told you there was good info over here. I may order another set of EBC reds for the next brake job. And a set of yellows for track days.

Bentley manual does not cover the 4.2 timing belt. What the??

Hmmm, I am about 7k miles from my timing belt change at 35k. You do not have to R&R the engine for the timing belt.

Here is a thought. I think we all need to pitch in for the RS6 timing belt special tools. I think there are many here that are planning to these themselves. Myself included. I may start to look into this. We can ship the special tools around the country when needed with a small deposit and wear and tear fee.

Grizz says the RS6 timing belt is about a 5hr job.

Dave, thanks for the EBC red pad discussion BTW. I went and ordered a set, the web page with the lower prices is still active, I don't need them now but eventually I'll be doing a change. Liked the wheel wells, I'll be doing the same thing. Just got the Bentley service manual for A6/S6/RS6, great book, unfortunately it doesn't cover a 4.2L timing belt change. I'll be doing that in another 9,000. Does it really require an engine pull? If I have to do that then I'd like to replace all that I can during the process.

Turboluvr
February 9th, 2009, 05:09
Dave, yeah the Bentley manual covers the 2.7/2.8 V6 engine. Got a good source on the torque specs for the 4.2? Or better yet, the RS6 factory service manuals?

mmaturo, thanks, she holds a special place in the mechanical part of my heart. I was looking for a 65 fastback back in '94 and living in Arkansas. I found one up in Lawrence, KS and took a day to go see it. It turned out to be a POS and I drove home dejected. Driving through Harrison, AR that evening this car passed me. I did a bootlegger 180 in the middle of the road and followed it into a used car lot where the owner was looking at a truck. He wanted to sell the fastback to get the truck and it was mine. I'll never get rid of it. Yes, get a 911 for the track, or just the twisties on the street. It is the right tool for the job. I don't think I could run away from this RS6 on the open road with my 993 Turbo, but on a mountain road, there's no question.

DHall1
February 9th, 2009, 05:16
This manual does not cover the 4.2 timing belt R&R?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Manuals-Literature__Audi-A6-S6-RS6-98-04-Bentley-Service-Repair-Manual_W0QQitemZ250343480680QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20Ac cessoriesQQadiZ2872QQddiZ2811QQadnZManualsQ20Q26Q2 0LiteratureQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Manuals_Liter ature?hash=item250343480680&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Dave, yeah the Bentley manual covers the 2.7/2.8 V6 engine. Got a good source on the torque specs for the 4.2? Or better yet, the RS6 factory service manuals?

mmaturo, thanks, she holds a special place in the mechanical part of my heart. I was looking for a 65 fastback back in '94 and living in Arkansas. I found one up in Lawrence, KS and took a day to go see it. It turned out to be a POS and I drove home dejected. Driving through Harrison, AR that evening this car passed me. I did a bootlegger 180 in the middle of the road and followed it into a used car lot where the owner was looking at a truck. He wanted to sell the fastback to get the truck and it was mine. I'll never get rid of it. Yes, get a 911 for the track, or just the twisties on the street. It is the right tool for the job. I don't think I could run away from this RS6 on the open road with my 993 Turbo, but on a mountain road, there's no question.

Turboluvr
February 9th, 2009, 05:22
Dave, that is correct. I have it open in front of me right now. Page 13-1 to 13-5 covers a timing belt R&R. They specifically state that it is for the 2.7/2.8 V6. Now, it may be that the procedure is very similar for the 4.2 but I'm pretty sure that torque specs are probably different.

Turboluvr
February 9th, 2009, 05:23
BTW, you can pick it up on Amazon for about $72.

Turboluvr
February 9th, 2009, 05:28
Bentley does give the crank pully R&R specs for the V8, it may be infering that this is the only difference in the procedure but it doesn't specifically say this. Anyone know?

GEN XER
February 9th, 2009, 17:15
Turboluvr,

I am mech inclined and all, but the thought of working in the tight confines of this engine bay make me feel lightheaded and I prefer not to give my money to the dealer, so if you would like to make some extra bucks working on my RS6 or helping me work on it let me know.

Turboluvr
February 11th, 2009, 06:17
GEN XER,

I appreciate the vote of confidence and I'll tackle most anything, but this is a learning process for me as well. I'll be guaging the pucker factor on each new mechanical episode and hitting up the more experianced RS6 owners and tinkerers here. If I can find a service manual and any special tools I'll usually give it a try. I've repaired 911 engines with success and rebuilt all sorts of American iron but this is definately a different beast. If I can help let me know.