PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of an RS6 Junkie

FitzRS6
August 6th, 2003, 00:22
Hey everyone...And a big welcome to all the new RS people here! Sorry I have not posted in some time...As many of you now know...driving and caring for (washing and waxing) an RS6 has become or will become an addiction. I have just over 1000 miles loged as of today and each and every mile has been enjoyable. The acceleration is phenominal... from any speed...put your right foot down and you cant help but hear your inner voice shout out "wheeee!". Driving at slower speed the car feels like a heavy solid car...push down your right foot...the car becomes light and lively. When I first started driving the RS6 I used the standard drive mode....this lasted for about 15 miles as I shifted to the sport mode which I really like alot. I now use the triptronic mode exclusively. I use both the paddles and the shifter and I cant say I prefer one over the other. The shifting is very quick and smooth...probably better then I could do with a clutch. I had a 2001 S4 6 speed before this car and I was really concerned about the fun factor being gone with no clutch. I am not disappointed at all. This car will do whatever you ask it to do...period. It seems the to me the car becomes more stable the faster you drive it...has anyone else experienced this? Not to say that I have been speeding or anything like that but, I can honestly say I have NOT exceeded 140 mph. I do have one complaint. I do not like the placement of the ONE electrical outlet in the front cabin. It's inside the ashtray...so...if you want to used a corded radar detector the tray must remain open. I solved this by purchasing the passport solo 2 and I have been very satisfied with it so far. Well time for dinner here so I better get...I'll post again soon!

RS6FEVR
August 6th, 2003, 01:54
Hey :cheers: Fitz

Great to hear from you and thanks for the cool, informative post!!! :D :D Just can't take that rush without wanting more eh?

Looks like I'm going to have to get that V1 hardwired as part of the "break in" task list!! :bang: :bang:

Glad you're back posting junkie and keep those observations coming. What's the longest of your trips so far. Comfortable?

:addict: FEVR :addict:

Benman
August 6th, 2003, 02:28
FitzRS6:cheers:

great review:cheers: are your comments are spot on.:D as for your comment on the RS 6 being MORE stable the faster you go, i noticed the same thing. on my autobahn drive in Germany (which i recorded but my cousin is having a hard time getting it on DVD) i was able to hit 170 (indicated) and we were OVER 140mph for extended periods of time. the whole time i did notice that the car just felt more and more stable the faster we took it. and when we did hit that magic # (right before we caught up to a rig) my uncle was tripping because he just couldn't believe how stable the car felt.

my biggest challenge we be NOT to duplicate such high speeds here in the states. i'll have a hard time explaining to the officer "but you see, i know the car is safe at these speed because i already did them in Germany". yep, i'm sure he'll go for that one.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

nene
August 6th, 2003, 04:02
Great post Fitz, and thanks for the update.
I too have just recently logged my first 'G', but using mostly paddle shifting or regular drive. I must try the 'Sport' setting one of these days.

Funny how lots of us actuall owned or still own an S4 before the RS6. Now I can almost convince myself that we'd probably have owned an RS4 if one was available in the USA.
Keep those great posts coming.

avdh
August 6th, 2003, 07:48
Thanks for your post and reporting your impressions.

I am happy to read that although the RS6 is a bit heavier than the S6, it does fell light and lively, which seems to be the same as with the S6.

Now how about some comments regarding fast tight cornering?

Erik
August 6th, 2003, 08:01
Thanks for the update.

Regarding the electrical outlet it isn't hard to make a duplicate. I did that in my previous car for my portable GPS.

Finnus
August 6th, 2003, 12:38
Fitz,

Thanks for the post!

It seems the to me the car becomes more stable the faster you drive it...has anyone else experienced this?

It seems that at all times the car is just sying, "Faster, Finnus, drive faster, faster! I'm not even breaking a sweat. Drive FASTER!!!"

Now I can almost convince myself that we'd probably have owned an RS4 if one was available in the USA.

Or will own one (RS4) when it becomes available!!! LOL

I do not like the placement of the ONE electrical outlet in the front cabin. It's inside the ashtray...so...if you want to used a corded radar detector the tray must remain open.

There are two outlets - there's one in the rear seat for passengers on the back of the center console . I guess Germans take their smoking seriously. LOL

I have a Valentine 1 detector, and it comes with a longer cord, so I use the ashtray in the rear seat to power it. The cord falls nicely between the passenger seat and the center console. It works much better than having the ashtray open ... I'm still going to get hard wired radar - the V1 windshield setup is temporary.

I received my Lidatek LE20, and will be installing it in the next couple of weeks. My Audi service reps said they would do it. Any suggestions? Once the LE30, which is upgradable, becomes available, I'm going to get that and switch the LE20 to my S4.

Personally, no one eats or smokes in my Beast. My EX-girlfriend made the mistake of whipping out a chocolate, nut covered ice cream cone on my maiden voyage with the RS6 to Atlantic City. I had to settle for throwing the ice cream out ... :hihi: Now, if I offend anyone for this, I apologize in advance, but I would have treated any male the same way! Actually, I would have thrown him out. LOL

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

avdh
August 6th, 2003, 13:30
Originally posted by Finnus
Fitz,

I received my Lidatek LE20, and will be installing it in the next couple of weeks. My Audi service reps said they would do it. Any suggestions? Once the LE30, which is upgradable, becomes available, I'm going to get that and switch the LE20 to my S4.

Personally, no one eats or smokes in my Beast. My EX-girlfriend made the mistake of whipping out a chocolate, nut covered ice cream cone on my maiden voyage with the RS6 to Atlantic City. I had to settle for throwing the ice cream out ... :hihi: Now, if I offend anyone for this, I apologize in advance, but I would have treated any male the same way! Actually, I would have thrown him out. LOL

Finnus

I would put the Lidatek in the top part of the lower front grille, below the bumper.
You'll just have to cut a bit of the mesh.
I've done that on the S6 and it's very discrete, however it must not be too far back.

As for your ex-girlfriend OUCH!:mad:

You can obviously control your nerves... , I would have made her walk home.
But then I noticed "EX" which may turn out for the better for the interior of your car! :)

Erik
August 6th, 2003, 13:32
Did anyone say stable in high speeds? :D

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_library/dir_11/car_portal_pic_5629.jpg?9497

Snow
August 6th, 2003, 18:27
Finnus, ex you say? Did she go with the "It's either you or your RS 6!!!"-talk? :D

Erik, looks as he's doing just under 200 or something?

btumble
August 6th, 2003, 22:08
Personally, no one eats or smokes in my Beast.

Easy to do when its just a girlfriend...I gotta deal with a 3yo who's a fast food addict...I caved today on the happy meal but NO drink. ':p'

GoFastKindaGuy
August 7th, 2003, 00:20
Radio Shack or any number of electronics outlets have extension cords for cigarette lighters. I used one in my ex-Honda S2000 to get from the console outlet to the radar detector cord. Very neat, but gave it away with the sale.
:hihi:

Finnus
August 7th, 2003, 13:15
I gotta deal with a 3yo who's a fast food addict...I caved today on the happy meal but NO drink.

btumble: I hope you have a dark interior! LOL Mine is silver and that chocolate would have looked just great.

I would have made her walk home. But then I noticed "EX" which may turn out for the better for the interior of your car!

avdh: I thought about that (walk home). Thanks for the suggestions on the lidatek. How has your experience been with it?

Did she go with the "It's either you or your RS 6!!!"-talk?

Snow: It went like this: EX: "You seem more interested in your car than me ..."

Finnus

avdh
August 7th, 2003, 14:53
Originally posted by Finnus
btumble:

avdh: I thought about that (walk home). Thanks for the suggestions on the lidatek. How has your experience been with it?

Finnus

I have had Lidatek Laser jammers since 2001, on the S6, the S3's and my wife's Beemer.

They are great and worked everytime, saving me some jail time !:p , as above 165 km/h (103 mph) they lock you up here, and on some open deserted/low traffic roads I the have (nasty :)) habit of travelling at speeds way above that.
Below 165 km/h the fines are actually not that expensive and the points system on your driving license will only be implemented in September, if they can get all the related admin and preparation going in time.

I will definitely put a LE-30 in my RS6. I hope by that time they also have a rear unit, as the new thing here is that they hit you from the back (cowards!!).

It has also worked many time in town.

I worked out that the five seconds the Lidatek jamms the signal is suffcient to drop from 220 km/h (137 mph) to 120 Km/h (75 mph) our national speed limit.
that was with the S6. With the S3 the "safe" marging is 180/200 km/h

I would imagine with the RS6 with it's far more potent brakes, 250 km/h (155 mph) might the the limit.