PDA

View Full Version : If audi would go RWD, will be.....

tvrfan
February 4th, 2009, 16:03
... the quattro good as on a FWD layout? i mean will the torsen diff with sportdiff and haldex fit on a rwd layout??? is audi capable to build a RWD car?

AndyBG
February 4th, 2009, 16:20
Audi is more than capable to build RWD car, just look at LeMans, DTM...

tvrfan
February 4th, 2009, 17:44
but........will the quattro good as on a FWD layout? i mean will the torsen diff with sportdiff or haldex fit on a rwd layout???

AndyBG
February 4th, 2009, 19:47
Somehow, I'm more then sure that Audi could cope with new quattro lay-out.

tvrfan
February 4th, 2009, 19:51
yeah maybe but i dont know if gadgets like sportdiff will fit. or will it be good as before? thats alot of questions. does somebody knew?

tvrfan
February 5th, 2009, 12:49
anyone here?

tailpipe
February 5th, 2009, 14:49
TVRFAN,

If Audi moved to a rear wheel drive layout, you can bet your last cent that Quattro and every component technology would be made to work perfectly. That said, however, I don't think Audi will move to rear-wheel drive - even though I have suggested it as a possibility. What I do think they will do is move the engine further back from the front axle with both the next A6 and A8. This will dramatically improve both weight distribution and handling balance while maintaining the predictability and security of FWD. (It's just a pity that they didn't move the engine further back with the new A4). Remember this: Audi was the manufacturer that invented front-wheel drive (not Mini as most people think).

BUT... and this is a big but...

.... all this changes when hydrogen fuel cell cars finally arrive. Personally, I think that'll be in about 10 years time. The internal combustion engine as we know it will be replaced with a fuel cell which is something that looks like a giant radiator. This can be mounted anywhere, because its job is to generate electricity it has no direct drive shaft to the wheels. The power generated by the fuel cell is then channelled to an electric motor. Unlike petrol engines, electric motors are very small and light. So an Audi with Quattro could have four electric motors - one for each wheel. The performance advantages speak for themselves. I imagine that two motors will be the norm for most cars - one at the front and one at the back with drive varied according to road conditions. In one sense the debate between FWD and RWD will become null and void because fuel cell cars will be able to have a much more equal weight distribution.

It will be amazing to watch how different manufacturers crack the problem. I am sure that Volkswagen-Audi-Porsche or Mercedes-Benz will develop the best solution.

I don't think petrol will ever truly run out, but there will come a time when the cost of extracting untapped oil deposits is much greater than investing in the hydrogen economy. Hydrogen is coming and make no mistake. The barrier is not technological innovation, but the ready supply of a cheap (albeit dirty) alternative: petrol. As soon as the cost of development of fuel cell technology becomes equal or less to that of extracting new oil: bingo!

Of course, there's more to it than that. here is the check list of component technologies that need to be got right:

1. Electricity generation by fuel cell = Fuel Cell design: we're already 90% there since fuel cells are nothing new, having been conceived by German scientist Christian Friedrich Schönbein in 1838. Such engines require hydrogen as a gas. As an alternative, BMW experimented with an internal combustion engine using liquid hydrogen as a fuel. Nice idea but liquid hydrogen has to be stored at - 273 degrees C and is highly volatile. The fuel tank - developed by NASA - cost $100,000 each. That's why you don't see many 7-Series H models on the road.

2. Electric drive to wheels = Electric motors: we're 100% since working electric motors in cars have been around for years. Look at what the TESLA can do. Amazing. So no problems here.

3. Electricity storage = Battery technology: Batteries are what most add weight to electric cars. Lithium Ion / Lithium Polymer has become the latest battery technology for cars because such batteries are much lighter. GM has a team working around the clock (24/7/365) to perfect the Lithium battery technology for the Chevrolet Volt. Samsung and other firms are also working on this. We're about 75% there.

4. Hydrogen fuel = hydrogen generation / extraction / conversion. This where it gets tricky. Hydrogen is a by-product of Nuclear Reactors generating electricity. So Nuclear Technology instead of Fossil Fuel Technology is what we need to produce large amounts of hydrogen - but it's clean and safe. USA is investing massively in this area. other countries will soon follow. Hydrogen as a gas is stored in onboard fuel tank under pressure.

So there is your future FWD, RWD, AWD Audi. I have simplified a lot - but this will probably be what the B10 A4 has under the hood. Enjoy!

Toto89
February 5th, 2009, 18:10
Maybe it's a bit off-topic, but i still think there will always be some car manufacturers who are going to stick by internal combustion engines. Audi will definitely be among them i think. If i remember well someone from Audi said that if they will ever build a hybrid, it will be just because to show they can do it. I don't have any accurate info but i suppose Audi to stick by internal combustion engine (just like Porsche).

KresoF1
February 5th, 2009, 18:24
yeah maybe but i dont know if gadgets like sportdiff will fit. or will it be good as before? thats alot of questions. does somebody knew?

RWD is very compatible with Active read diff-just look at new Jaguar XFR/XKR as a very good example what can be done if RWD is done properly with active rear diff-"XKR features Active Differential Control. ADC offers superior asphalt and loose surface traction and results in better vehicle performance. It is fully automated, and can vary its locking torque dependent on the prevailing surface conditions, thus potentially improving stability when required. ADC is integrated to work in harmony with other systems such as Traction Control and ABS, further improving overall vehicle performance. " There is also a in-depth technical info on Drivers Republic web site(Chris Harris article about new XFR).

Previous excellent technical high point was E-diff in Ferrari F430. RWD mid-engine layout.

NO doubt about it that Audi can buid awsome RWD car. In fact-they build it already R8 GT3...

tvrfan
February 5th, 2009, 18:58
RWD is very compatible with Active read diff-just look at new Jaguar XFR/XKR as a very good example what can be done if RWD is done properly with active rear diff-"XKR features Active Differential Control. ADC offers superior asphalt and loose surface traction and results in better vehicle performance. It is fully automated, and can vary its locking torque dependent on the prevailing surface conditions, thus potentially improving stability when required. ADC is integrated to work in harmony with other systems such as Traction Control and ABS, further improving overall vehicle performance. " There is also a in-depth technical info on Drivers Republic web site(Chris Harris article about new XFR).

Previous excellent technical high point was E-diff in Ferrari F430. RWD mid-engine layout.

NO doubt about it that Audi can buid awsome RWD car. In fact-they build it already R8 GT3...

YES good, but can the quattro layout be as good on RWD platform as on FWD?

Leadfoot
February 5th, 2009, 19:49
The future isn't transfer boxes which are what tradition awd use but electric motors in the front wheels with the conventional engine working the rears and vice versa.

AWD is the perfect solution because in theory it reigns in either oversteer or understeer and when combined with something like Sportdiff it retains more power without the need of the ESP system kicking in.