PDA

View Full Version : RS6 rotors and pads

RS6richard
February 4th, 2009, 10:58
My RS6 had rotors and pads replaced all round at 36K miles. Now at 40K I have a steering wheel vibration and the local Audi dealer says the fronts need replacing. There is a mark on each front rotor due to the pad sticking at some point, they say this could have happened when the car was left parked with either hot rotors, or even wet rotors.

I don't use excessive braking and always drive the car after washing to dry the rotors.

Am I at fault here? Audi won't cover this under warranty citing a techncial bulletin. Is it worth having the rotors resurfaced instead of replacing? Can I reuse the pads or are they likely to be damaged?

Thanks in advance. Having just had a new DRC fitted with two shocks I can feel a second mortgage coming on :doh:

DHall1
February 4th, 2009, 14:15
Get rid of the overpriced stock pads.

http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17594

My RS6 had rotors and pads replaced all round at 36K miles. Now at 40K I have a steering wheel vibration and the local Audi dealer says the fronts need replacing. There is a mark on each front rotor due to the pad sticking at some point, they say this could have happened when the car was left parked with either hot rotors, or even wet rotors.

I don't use excessive braking and always drive the car after washing to dry the rotors.

Am I at fault here? Audi won't cover this under warranty citing a techncial bulletin. Is it worth having the rotors resurfaced instead of replacing? Can I reuse the pads or are they likely to be damaged?

Thanks in advance. Having just had a new DRC fitted with two shocks I can feel a second mortgage coming on :doh:

DHall1
February 4th, 2009, 14:25
http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17593

You can resurface the rotors if you can find a shop that will do it.

Audi wont do it because they want to sell you 1000 dollar rotors instead.

My vote is for EBC red pads for street use

SAF
February 4th, 2009, 14:55
I had Audi replace my rotors along with Red Stuffs a few months ago. The first set of OEM rotors they received and installed were warped. Doesn't Brembo supply these? How the hell can they let something like that out door? For $375 each, you'd think there would be a quality control check somewhere along the line.

Almost sent them out to get frozen but didn't because of added time (needed quickly for a road trip) and added money. If I were able, I would have sent them out when they arrived at parts, and then ended up eating all the costs because of the warp! Lesson learned for next time when I do have them cryo'd... test new rotors first before sending them off for process.

GEN XER
February 4th, 2009, 21:07
Try this first. Most brake issues can be remedied by bedding the pads and rotors, espescially if they are new. Use the performance bedding process. Let me know how it turns out.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

hahnmgh63
February 5th, 2009, 01:57
Only the front calipers are manufactured by Brembo and are very good. The rear calipers are Audi and the rotors are manufactured by a German company SHW. Who knows who is at fault, Audi giving them the wrong specs or SHW. If they come warped, then SHW is the problem. http://www.shw.de/index.php?118

sallyh
February 6th, 2009, 00:12
Hi GEN XER

Thanks for that link to bedding-in brakes - really interesting. I'm waiting for my Avant to turn up (the dealer says it has been made!) and will give the procedure a go when I get the car. Certainly the previous Avant I had had the squeaky brake issue. One question, would ceramic brakes be any different in how you do the bedding in?

GEN XER
February 6th, 2009, 03:54
Hi GEN XER

Thanks for that link to bedding-in brakes - really interesting. I'm waiting for my Avant to turn up (the dealer says it has been made!) and will give the procedure a go when I get the car. Certainly the previous Avant I had had the squeaky brake issue. One question, would ceramic brakes be any different in how you do the bedding in?

Probably not. You just might need to do the bedding 10 times instead of six to ensure they really get heated up. Just remember dont stop after you finish the proces until you have driven for the required time for cool down as this will transfer pad material to the hot rotors, which is what you dont want.

sallyh
February 6th, 2009, 23:38
Hi

Thanks - I'll give it a go when the time comes.

BLITZEN
February 8th, 2009, 18:29
Richard, Is the vibration only when using the brakes? And, did it vibrate ever since getting the new brakes or only now after 4000 miles on them?

RS6richard
February 9th, 2009, 18:05
Richard, Is the vibration only when using the brakes? And, did it vibrate ever since getting the new brakes or only now after 4000 miles on them?

The vibration is only when using the brakes, and the Audi technician says there is an imprint of the pads on the discs.

The vibratrion only started after about 4K. I never put the car away with wet discs (after cleaning) and I have not braked to get the rotors too hot and then stop the car to leave the pads stuck to the rotors.

As there is so much left on the discs I am going to try and get them resurfaced.

I drove into work in the snow, slush and salt and noticed the pads were stuck a bit to the discs when I came to go home the other day.

DHall1
February 9th, 2009, 18:17
If this is the case.

I would perform the technique explaned in post #5 above.

You should not need to resurface the rotors. Just get them hot and burn off that imprint.

The vibration is only when using the brakes, and the Audi technician says there is an imprint of the pads on the discs.

The vibratrion only started after about 4K. I never put the car away with wet discs (after cleaning) and I have not braked to get the rotors too hot and then stop the car to leave the pads stuck to the rotors.

As there is so much left on the discs I am going to try and get them resurfaced.

I drove into work in the snow, slush and salt and noticed the pads were stuck a bit to the discs when I came to go home the other day.